• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

34,000 pieces of Wii U software were sold in the UK in January (incl. NintyLand)

Kariodude

Banned
Does anyone remember the 3DS? It's entire first year was pretty bad. Now it's doing just fine in general. The Wii U definitely has a tough year ahead of it, but I'm still pretty confident it will pull through. The price for the other new consoles will probably drive people into Nintendo's arms. Plus the real meaty games that are going to be revealed at E3 will be the real system sellers.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
You are really expecting both PS4 and 720 to completely and utterly bomb in their first January/February? I just can't imagine general disinterest on that scale.

If they launch at and above 400$ I think it is very possible. Mind you I'm expecting really bad numbers in Japan which would give Wii U a bit of a leg up comparison wise.

What are you expecting for January 2014 sales? I just cannot comprehend systems that expensive selling very much in the face of a lot of competition.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Nintendo are in a couple self-made holes that I really don't know how they're going to get out of. I guess they can go the ultra-aggressive route but man, I'm not sure they want to take them losses if they do. I truly don't think Nintendo understood why the Wii was successful. Combine that with the way they've marketed themselves the past few years and there's really nothing there for them. Normally I wouldn't think it's a big deal, there's still team to reinvigorate marketing and unleash software in Q3/Q4 and try to bounce back, but this is a new situation where a console is struggling mightily, and to make things worse 2 more consoles are launching this year which have the potential to completely cockblock everything.

This is the moment where I post a certain Kaz Hirai quote about core gamers and pillars but I've used it like twice this year already, so I don't want to again. Someone else, go for it!

ps3 was in a bad position but there is major deifference with wii 1.5

the ps3 came in 2006 and it was a next gen console.all the consoles launched untill then.
this year we will have 2 new console launches. after the wii 1.5 came to market and doing horribly.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Eh, considering the total lack of games released except for Ninja Gaiden, expected. UK is right now the worst country for Nintendo, and the 3DS software results there are by far the worst, marketshare wise.

Still, I don't see how PS4/720 could perform much better than Wii U a month after the launch, just considering multi SKUs of FIFA and COD that have giant communities on 360 and PS3 that won't certainly make a pretty costly jump to the next gen just for shinier graphics. PS4 and 720, in order to compensate the pretty much given high prices for them need to have some kickass exclusives that attract people. Having just FIFA/COD at launch multi with the old consoles isn't enough anymore, things have changed due to online. Especially if next gen FIFA and COD doesn't support cross-platform online with the new versions.

And this is without considering the impact the block of the used market could have.

As a WiiU owner (that also plays 360, PS3, and PC by the way) this is terribly depressing.

No, as a lover of video games this is terribly depressing. I don't understand why anyone takes so much joy in watching Nintendo struggle like this. :(

ps3 was in a bad position but there is major deifference with wii 1.5

the ps3 came in 2006 and it was a next gen console.all the consoles launched untill then.
this year we will have 2 new console launches. after the wii 1.5 came to market and doing horribly.
that's what I'm saying. A lot of people point out other weak console launches but have any faced them with 2 other console launches imminent? It's a high mountain to climb for Nintendo.

Is it thinking about what games it might get? :p

No, but now I'm thinking about games that I wish it had.

Yeah, wait for Mario Kart to become the bundled game and this thing will be probably be flying into people's homes this Christmas.

This same exact sentiment was said about 2D Mario on the 3DS. And yet 3DS was down in America and the UK over its previous holiday season sales. Wii U launched with 2D Mario. Is Mario Kart the system seller that 2D Mario isn't?

ari

Banned
it was the fact that rayman origins got delayed and is moving onto 2 new platforms as well.

really that was it. rich suckered a ton of people :lol

So that fucking joke of a website couldn't let people know that was it ahead of time? Can we ban that type of traffic luring troll shit? This is not the first time those fuckers pull that shit.

le.phat

As a WiiU owner (that also plays 360, PS3, and PC by the way) this is terribly depressing.

No, as a lover of video games this is terribly depressing. I don't understand why anyone takes so much joy in watching Nintendo struggle like this. :(

As a lover of video games i'd love to see nintendo software on sony hardware.

Durante

If they launch at and above 400$ I think it is very possible. Mind you I'm expecting really bad numbers in Japan which would give Wii U a bit of a leg up comparison wise.

What are you expecting for January 2014 sales? I just cannot comprehend systems that expensive selling very much in the face of a lot of competition.
Well, personally I expect at least 720 to have a subscription-supported model (at least in the US) that goes for USD 299 up front at most, if not less. And, even though I dislike the idea, I expect that to sell like hot cakes.

Also, the Wii U seems to be around 12k a week in Japan now, I really don't see the 720 having trouble making that up elsewhere. Or the PS4 going much below that in Japan even in the worst case.

schuelma

Well, personally I expect at least 720 to have a subscription-supported model (at least in the US) that goes for USD 299 up front at most, if not less. And, even though I dislike the idea, I expect that to sell like hot cakes.

Could be. Would be very interesting.

Coxy

Nintendo isn't this incompetent. They know what they're doing, even if GAF is pretending they don't.

Guys I have a plan, what we'll do is launch early and sell nothing while paying the higher costs for parts to get them out there for people to not buy, have our third party partnerships run to the competitiors, then sit around for six to eight months while the other systems are announced, hyped and developed for. THEN WE MAKE OUR MOVE.

Steph_E.

They are most probably majority of that 34k. The number of 3rd party games sold is probably dreadfull.

I can honestly say I have bought more 3rd party Wii U games (ZombiU, Assassins Creed, Darksiders, Sonic, Cave) than Ist party games (Mario, Nintendoland). I think most (if not all) people who need more than one hand to count all their games will be in the same situation :)

Mileena

Banned
Wii-U-Pachter-Dreamcast.jpg
But Dreamcast actually had game.

schuelma

This round began 3 months ago and won't peak for months yet.

Batten down the hatches.

I joined in early 2007 I think so I missed a lot of the early insanity last gen. Takes some getting used to.

Nintendo just released a console in 2012 that rivals the power of 8 year old consoles, with an embarrassingly anti-consumer account system. With most people it's not about enjoying watching Nintendo struggle. It's about Nintendo's approach failing. If Microsoft goes anti-used on their next console and forces you to be online just to play a game, you'll see just as many people wishing and hoping they fail as well.

m.i.s.

Banned

The DC swirl was blue in euro / PAL land.

Guys I have a plan, what we'll do is launch early and sell nothing while paying the higher costs for parts to get them out there for people to not buy, have our third party partnerships run to the competitiors, then sit around for six to eight months while the other systems are announced, hyped and developed for. THEN WE MAKE OUR MOVE.

Genius!

Does anyone remember the 3DS? It's entire first year was pretty bad. Now it's doing just fine in general. The Wii U definitely has a tough year ahead of it, but I'm still pretty confident it will pull through. The price for the other new consoles will probably drive people into Nintendo's arms. Plus the real meaty games that are going to be revealed at E3 will be the real system sellers.

Does anyone remember the massive price drop of the 3DS a few months after launch? Now it's doing just fine.

It's pretty useless comparing it to the 3DS. DS to 3DS comparisons were fine because they were of the same market and also had very similar title lineups (One remake of a N64 title and Nintendogs tiding us over until Mario Kart). The WiiU is a console. Besides, it doesn't have a strong title such as Ocarina 3D to attract sales. NSMBU, nor Pikmin 3, has that mileage.

This stuff is killing me. There are some freakishly talented people on this site.

tumblr_mhwjayN9p41s5o3aso7_400.gif

Good god I'm dying.

Snakeyes

As a Nintendo fan, I'm kinda glad they're taking a beating right now and hope it will make them take a more balanced approach with the specs of their future consoles.

Daingurse

Does anyone remember the massive price drop of the 3DS a few months after launch? Now it's doing just fine.

Oh I remember very well. Which Is probably the very reason I don't own a Wii U. I was fooled once, errr twice (*hugs* Vita). Never again! Waiting for Smash Bros. just like I did with the Wii.

Top Bottom