• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 industries announces a Beta for a patch for the MCC, delays it, then cancels it.

Biker19

Banned
THIS. Most of the community mocked 343 for proposing a beta for an update, which isn't all that uncommon. The majority of the Halo community doesn't deserve a fixed MCC since they don't seem to want to try and help to get it fixed.

This is probably the most laughable comment in this thread. Seriously.

People have used their hard-earned money on this collection; you can bet they want it fixed.

Game4life

Banned
I think writing off a future game just because of one mistake is too much. The team is obviously talented so I think people need to wait for Halo 5 instead of jumping at 343i's throat for every little thing.

TheSpoonyBard

Neo Member
I think writing off a future game just because of one mistake is too much. The team is obviously talented so I think people need to wait for Halo 5 instead of jumping at 343i's throat for every little thing.

Them totally messing up Halo MCC, while technically 'one mistake', is still a pretty major mistake.

mcfrank

Besides the graphics of halo 4, what exactly has 343 done to demonstrate that they are talented? I don't mean that as degrading, I just want to know what your actual evidence for saying that is?

tmac456

Frankie posted on the Halo OT for those curious.

link1201
: lol, I just thought I heard it was due out in Feburary. Then I saw the beta for it was cancelled. I was kinda hoping that not having the beta may still allow us to get the update this month. I so want to play some BTB. ;/

Frankie: Beta being canceled won't actually hurt the launch date. We just ended up with a better way to test some stuff. Also the fan Dedi/P2P "research" is wildly off (not their fault, as you will see). You will fall back to P2P in certain circumstances, but (embarrassingly) the vast majority of times people are seeing that is actually a UI bug and they are in fact on dedis. This is fixed in the next update.

Tunavi: which comes out when?

Frankie: If it was beyond the ideals being discussed here I'd have hidden till you stopped talking about it.

But I'm not saying a date because I will jinx it.

i really want to trust him...

but really, i just want the game working properly

VinFTW

This is probably the most laughable comment in this thread. Seriously.

People have used their hard-earned money on this collection; you can bet they want it fixed.

you know its bad when Biker makes fun of a post and you can't disagree with him

:p

<3 you biker, just playing, don't get too upset

Game4life

Banned
Them totally messing up Halo MCC, while technically 'one mistake', is still a pretty major mistake.

I agree its major but how many companies in the world have been perfect and not made mistakes? All I am saying is being cautious about their next product is fine but being outright dismissive and saying Halo RIP etc is unfair in my opinion. Everyone should be given a chance to bounce back from a mistake.

Besides the graphics of halo 4, what exactly has 343 done to demonstrate that they are talented? I don't mean that as degrading, I just want to know what your actual evidence for saying that is?

Just going by the pedigree of some of their employees ( their work experience ). I am not a Halo fan. I dont like the franchise but I just think they deserve at least one more chance from those who like the franchise.

The worst part of this whole debacle are the posters who are not only defending 343, but are still trying to promote Halo 5 as this magical game that has nothing to do with this situation.

VinFTW

The worst part of this whole debacle are the posters who are not only defending 343, but are still trying to promote Halo 5 as this magical game that has nothing to do with this situation.

wut... Halo 5 COULD be magical and it does have nothing to do with this. Two different teams w/ different resources, tech, buildings, etc.

Halo 4 worked at launch, Halo 5 will be fine. MCC is a product of bad management and two much outsourcing. Highly doubt anything 343 touches will be similar to MCC. I'd take an avatar bet on it :p

RSB

Banned
Just going by the pedigree of some of their employees ( their work experience ). I am not a Halo fan. I dont like the franchise but I just think they deserve at least one more chance from those who like the franchise.
I played the Halo 5 beta and I don't really like the path they are taking with the gameplay (many of the changes/additions are downright terrible IMO) The fact that ADS is not completely cosmetic like it should (and as they said it would be before the beta) has been the final nail in the coffin. Hell, they won't even bother to add a classic scope option (it's just a circle in the middle of the screen, FFS) So no, I won't give 343 any more chances.

And that's why you need MCC to work, so you can play the Halo you like and not new halo (which is for a new audience)
I know. Unfortunately, 343 will never stop chasing the modern shooter crowd, and they will keep trying till they finally succeed (highly unlikely IMO) or till the Halo franchise is completely dead. And I'm afraid that even if the MCC ends working perfectly (LOL, not gonna happen) the game will be a ghost town after all this time with the game being broken. Sad time to be a Halo fan.

If it's not like Super Smash Bros Melee/Halo 2, it sucks...
LOL. Halo 2 is the last game (from the original trilogy) they should use for inspiration, except for map design maybe. If anything you should have said Halo CE. Anyway, I'm not against them evolving the franchise, but sadly, 343 has no idea how to do that. Their idea of "evolution" is to just copy what's currently popular in other shooters, even if the resulting changes/additions go against what made Halo's gameplay great in the first place.

BokehKing

Banned
I played the Halo 5 beta and I don't really like the path they are taking with the gameplay (many of the changes/additions are downright terrible IMO) The fact that ADS is not completely cosmetic like it should (and as they said it would be before the beta) has been the final nail in the coffin. Hell, they won't even bother to add a classic scope option (it's just a circle in the middle of the screen, FFS) So no, I won't give 343 any more chances.
And that's why you need MCC to work, so you can play the Halo you like and not new halo (which is for a new audience)

Yopis

"Hey Phil, we know you're kind of in the middle of turning around the Xbox brand, but those Halo comments you made before the game came out...

We're going to have to let you go..."

Really?

Plus a quick look at your gamer tag shows that you don't even have the Master Chief Collection. You have exactly zero minutes of play time on the Master Chief Collection.

Most of the crying on gaf comes from people that don't have said games. Wish they could all be exposed. Glad I didn't buy this during black friday sad to see in this shape.

Xav

If it's not like Super Smash Bros Melee/Halo 2, it sucks...

darthbob

One more chance huh? Well guess what, after they released Halo CE Anniversary and managed to completely fuck up the original spirit of the game and manage to drive Reach's online into the ground I thought "hey, it's their first outing with halo. i'll give 'em a pass."

Then Halo 4 was released. Nothing needs to be said about that, but for a lot of people H4 was the last straw. Not for me though, Not for stupid, naive, me. I thought to myself "ah well it's their first main series halo game, i'm sure they'll get it right next time."

Then came MCC. Well we all know how that turned out. Oh and then there was the Halo 5 Beta. Surprisingly that's the most solid thing they've put out so far, but it's too little too late.

Halo is dead and I'm done giving 343 second chances.

Noobcraft

^^Tbh bungie already kinda messed up the Halo balance with Reach and all the armor abilities. As for the next patch, I just hope it results in better matchmaking times, the matchmaking times are my only issue with the game aside from some minor stability issues.

mcfrank

One more chance huh? Well guess what, after they released Halo CE Anniversary and managed to completely fuck up the original spirit of the game and manage to drive Reach's online into the ground I thought "hey, it's their first outing with halo. i'll give 'em a pass."

Then Halo 4 was released. Nothing needs to be said about that, but for a lot of people H4 was the last straw. Not for me though, Not for stupid, naive, me. I thought to myself "ah well it's their first main series halo game, i'm sure they'll get it right next time."

Then came MCC. Well we all know how that turned out. Oh and then there was the Halo 5 Beta. Surprisingly that's the most solid thing they've put out so far, but it's too little too late.

Insert clapping dot gif here.

VinFTW

lol, some Halo fan you are. Nbns Reach was perhaps the best thing 343 has done (also the first w/ the Halo franchise), besides H4 campaign.

Don't know how the best change to Reach which pretty much saved the already declining competitive Reach scene was considered "driving it into the ground"

nice rant doe

RSB

Banned
lol, some Halo fan you are. Nbns Reach was perhaps the best thing 343 has done (also the first w/ the Halo franchise), besides H4 campaign.

Don't know how the best change to Reach which pretty much saved the already declining competitive Reach scene was considered "driving it into the ground"

nice rant doe
Agreed, that patch is one of the few things 343 has done right IMO. It made Reach enjoyable for me. The playlist fragmentation was awful though...

Until they took the Anniversary BTB out and fucked it up again.
Yep. As I said, the patch itself was great, but the playlist management was awful. A real shame, because ZBNS Reach was probably the best Halo MP since CE.

Agreed, that patch is one of the few things 343 has done right IMO. It made Reach enjoyable for me. The playlist fragmentation was awful though...

Until they took the Anniversary BTB out and fucked it up again.

So much Truth.

Again, maybe their internal resources should have been focusing on MCC. I don't get how people right it off, oh it was different teams. Halo 5 day 1!

wut... Halo 5 COULD be magical and it does have nothing to do with this. Two different teams w/ different resources, tech, buildings, etc.

Halo 4 worked at launch, Halo 5 will be fine. MCC is a product of bad management and two much outsourcing. Highly doubt anything 343 touches will be similar to MCC. I'd take an avatar bet on it :p

Define fine? You really think they showed you everything? Besides, why reward the studio at all. They have already lied about ADS in Halo 5. I mean all they do is lie.

Caayn

The graphics came at a high cost, to me it was not worth it. Small campaign maps, invisible walls everywhere, relying too much on the lighting to make things look pretty, low quality effects/objects too close to the player (phantoms), low quality backgrounds especially compared to the previous games in the franchise.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Weird seeing you in a thread about a newer Halo game if you think Halo is dead.

Anywho, Halo 5 ran a lot better than MCC, so I'd be very curious to hear the full MCC story some day. Was it really the new MP API that fucked it up so much? If so, what's different in the Halo 5 code that made it work better? Was MCC being multiple games online (and developed by multiple studios) the thing that screwed it up more?

I'd just like it fixed so I could play BTB without waiting 30 minutes.

Percy

Banned

Good post. Sums it up nicely. 343 have been working on this franchise for far too long now for any bullshit about 'early days' or 'just starting out' to carry any weight.

THIS. Most of the community mocked 343 for proposing a beta for an update, which isn't all that uncommon. The majority of the Halo community doesn't deserve a fixed MCC since they don't seem to want to try and help to get it fixed.

It defies understanding how someone lets themselves get to a point where they'll seriously write something like this.

Unbelievable.

Weird seeing you in a thread about a newer Halo game if you think Halo is dead.

Anywho, Halo 5 ran a lot better than MCC, so I'd be very curious to hear the full MCC story some day. Was it really the new MP API that fucked it up so much? If so, what's different in the Halo 5 code that made it work better? Was MCC being multiple games online (and developed by multiple studios) the thing that screwed it up more?

I'd just like it fixed so I could play BTB without waiting 30 minutes.
Bros gotta keep reminding bros that Halo is dead!

Nofunallowed.jpg

Good post. Sums it up nicely. 343 have been working on this franchise for far too long now for any bullshit about 'early days' or 'just starting out' to carry any weight.

Haha, look at that. You agree with him, but not for reasons that are actually legitimate.

Shocking news indeed ...

Top Bottom