• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

35th anniversary of the ZX Spectrum

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
To be fair it was probably more a case of me being the first kid sad enough to write to them to say I'd completed it..!

:p

Nice of them to write back though.

Don't be modest. In my mind you are now the ONLY person to complete Sabre Wulf, and if I was a mod that would be your tag.

kyser73

Anyone remember walking into Dixons/Rumbelows/Boots and typing:

10 PRINT 'I do smelly farts';
20 GOTO 10

That semicolon could make you a coding legend in seconds.

I had a ZX81, Speccy then C64, and was only one of two times I had the two main platforms at once because both did specific things really well.

The Spectrum was unsurpassed for 3D for its time - Vector and isometric 3D ran far better on the Speccy, but the C64 handled sprites, colour, sound and scrolling wayyyy better.

My favourite game of that time was probably Starstrike 2, with proper filled vectors:

https://youtu.be/ebuADX_cZXk

I was mainly a C64 guy, but the Spectrum was my real intro to home gaming.

Ps. I also went to school with Richard Leadbetter & Jason Page, remember Rich writing text games using The Quill and playing Rainbow Islands endlessly on the machine Graftgold had in their office while they worked on the conversion...and Andy Braybrook buying a Fiat X-19 with the money he got from Gribbly's Day Out :)

MysteryM

Seriously impressive development of ZX Next : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOl9zJDLgvs

Damn that's impressive, I've just backed the pi version.

Absolutely adore the spectrum, remember begging my mum for a whole year to buy it but it changed my life. Never gave up the computing bug after that and am still a geek a good 30 years later.

My two are still displayed pride of place in my home cinema

UvCANqM.png

kyser73

Damn that's impressive, I've just backed the pi version.

Absolutely adore the spectrum, remember begging my mum for a whole year to buy it but it changed my life. Never gave up the computing bug after that and am still a geek a good 30 years later.

My two are still displayed pride of place in my home cinema

UvCANqM.png

OMFG you've got a Big Trac! Is it an original from way back? Did you ever get the tipper?

Crixus

Great thread, so many fond memories of my first gaming device and of all those careless gaming nights when I was a child. I still play the occasional Chuckie Egg and Dizzy on the emulator, but nothing compares to the satisfaction of successfully loading a game from a cassette without error, on the real thing.
Here are some of my favorites:
The Way of the Exploding Fist
uFKWOb4.jpg

Treasure Island Dizzy
7iVckBd.jpg

Raid Over Moscow
e1UIWj8.jpg

Three Weeks in Paradise
pIjq6AP.jpg

Into the Eagle's Nest
rx5EcNi.jpg

Match Day
iP0PbLL.jpg

Paris-Dakar
P3DOflw.jpg

Saboteur 2
ugICBWc.jpg

Last Ninja 2
RBiDrlC.jpg

Quest for Tires
O5PqbXY.jpg

Nigel Mansell's Grand Prix
LrItnbF.jpg

Robin64

One of my biggest regrets is selling my 48k Spectrum with two boxes of games for £20 about 15 years ago.

fireflame

I had mansell, three weeks, saboteur 2 on Amstrad. I was never able to beat Saboteur 2 due to short timers in hardest missions(and the gameplay feeling repetitive).

Jon Ritman was an awesome game designer.

The system that got me into gaming way back in 1984. Love the system and its still class even today. Gift From the Gods was one of my all time fav games

Sillverrr

My first computer - a pass-me-down from my cousin, who had upgraded to an Acorn Archimedes. I still remember the elation I felt at seeing that plastic basket filled with cassette tapes one Christmas, as my aunt (RIP) gifted it to me.

I was so young, I barely have strong memories of any particular game. Standouts for me included Rick Dangerous, Blood Brothers, and some other weird scrolling shooter, where you controlled a ball. All hard as nails. In hindsight, I'm particularly proud of the two named games, as they were blind purchases from the Boots high street store, that turned out to be good.

Ofc, I didn't appreciate this machine at the time as much as I could have, because I always wanted to be playing Chuckie Egg on the BBC Micro, or Way of the Exploding Fist on my cousin's Archimedes. Always the way.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

One of my biggest regrets is selling my 48k Spectrum with two boxes of games for £20 about 15 years ago.

Even though my introduction to the Spectrum was with an 128k +2, about 10 years ago I had a strong urge to own a boxed 48k. I sourced it from a dear old chap who was running a home business in the electronics repairs and restoration game, and he got me a very clean model, box in excellent condition with original inserts, and refurbed no less. It remains one of the crown jewels of my gaming collection.

Outrun

OMFG you've got a Big Trac! Is it an original from way back? Did you ever get the tipper?

Man.... I totally forgot that the Big Trac existed, until now...

Wow.

Into the Eagles Neat.

This thread is awesome. So much memories.

5 to 10 quid would net you a new release. Games were sold at the market. Games were often bought on faith, covers and screenshots.

Suddenly remembering when game prices started shifting to £8.95 - £9.95 for 'big budget' releases. I think Ocean did it a lot, but if a game was over a tenner, it was usually a flight sim or something with fancy packaging/big box.

tumblr_n2zv6sgqNI1rkrwaco1_500.jpg

I still have my original copy of this, the big box was pretty great!

Robin64

We bought a second hand 48k and it came with loads of games, so it lasted ages, but the first game I purchased outside of that was Booty.

109813-booty-zx-spectrum-screenshot-screen-2.png

And now I'm wondering if adult-me could beat this with my years of gaming experience.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
My first PC as a kid - and probably the biggest reason I got into the industry. I'm kind of tempted to look for an original machine on Ebay one of these days.

So many things to reminisce about - but what's fascinating is that 35 years later, people still make software for it, and we started getting games(they run on original 48k hw) that look like what you see below a few years ago:

I mean these would probably make even C64/CPC owners back in the day jealous - though granted, they feel somehow un-spectrum like outside of the palette because of all the colors...

mclem

My first PC as a kid - and probably the biggest reason I got into the industry. I'm kind of tempted to look for an original machine on Ebay one of these days.

So many things to reminisce about - but what's fascinating is that 35 years later, people still make software for it, and we started getting games(they run on original 48k hw) that look like what you see below a few years ago:

I mean these would probably make even C64/CPC owners back in the day jealous - though granted, they feel somehow un-spectrum like outside of the palette because of all the colors...

Yeah, there's what appears to be more than two colours in an 8x8 pixel block there, which *shouldn't* be possible. I don't know if I'm not reading where the block boundaries lie correctly, or if they're using some sort of extension to the spec that allows more in a block, but those shouldn't work on a 48k Speccy.

(I emphasise 'shouldn't', because some odd things can be done with exploiting bugs in the ROM!)

Edit: And a bit more research led me to the Nirvana Engine. Well, that explains that! Very impressive. And now I'm trying to recall where I've heard the name of Einar Saukas before.

Edit2: In a completely different environment, it turns out! He worked with Neil Manke on a bunch of high-profile Quake and Half-Life level packs, including the They Hunger series.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Did anyone actually play that Frankie goes to Hollywood game? I remember being slightly irritated by the star billing it got on that compilation, with the wonderful Head over Heels and Wizball pushed to the sides. It has the distinction of being the first ever band tie-in game if nothing else

I don't know what was actually the first tie-in ever but there were two licensed Journey games before that game.

I don't know what was actually the first tie-in ever but there were two licensed Journey games before that game.

Also consider...

00-deus-ex-machina.jpg

Deus Ex Machina (1984): "The game was the first to be accompanied by a fully synchronised soundtrack which featured narration, celebrity artists and music. The cast included Ian Dury, Jon Pertwee, Donna Bailey, Frankie Howerd, E.P. Thompson, and Mel Croucher (who also composed the music)."

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member

mclem

Woah Ian Dury, Jon Pertwee and Frankie Howard?

What a super group.

Deus Ex Machina was a fascinating experiment, the idea was that it was intended to be the gaming equivalent of a concept album, so each segment of the gameplay has a fixed length and is designed to be accompanied by audio from the cassette, with some aspects of the game synced to events in the audio.

I think there's an argument that Automata were one of the most interesting companies in the early days of gaming. So much experimentation in wild and crazy directions.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
mclem said:
Edit: And a bit more research led me to the Nirvana Engine. Well, that explains that! Very impressive.
Yea - basically multi-color implementations move the limitation onto a per line (or per 2 lines) basis effectively eliminating vertical color-clash and allowing for well - things that weren't even done on other PCs of the era (high-res graphics with this many colors).

Worth noting that the possibilities haven't been fully exhausted either - thanks to modern hardware and software tools, we can get really creative with optimized raster processing, things that wouldn't really be possible doing things "manually".

mclem

Yea - basically multi-color implementations move the limitation onto a per line (or per 2 lines) basis effectively eliminating vertical color-clash and allowing for well - things that weren't even done on other PCs of the era (high-res graphics with this many colors).

Worth noting that the possibilities haven't been fully exhausted either - thanks to modern hardware and software tools, we can get really creative with optimized raster processing, things that wouldn't really be possible doing things "manually".

I assume it's through something along the lines of modifying screen memory in the middle of the refresh? That was my first thought when I realised it was possible.

MysteryM

Some of my favourites:

Airwolf
Never ending story
Target renegade
Typhoon
Double dragon (obviously!)
Emlyn Hughes international soccer

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I assume it's through something along the lines of modifying screen memory in the middle of the refresh? That was my first thought when I realised it was possible.
On the pc EGA & VGA demos used to do that with re-programming the palette every scanline, or was it ever other scanline.

Maledict

Looking at the screenshots reminds me that games were really hardore back then.

I think that Dark Souls is popular because it feeds into that whole early 80s gameplay of hard as nails levels. One death and its back to the beginning.

The very first game I had on my spectrum was a platformer called Dynamite Dan, which was in the style of Jet Set Willy. We used a poke cheat to remove all the monsters from the game, and yet despite that we never finished it. Spectrum games were *hard*.

dose

We bought a second hand 48k and it came with loads of games, so it lasted ages, but the first game I purchased outside of that was Booty.

109813-booty-zx-spectrum-screenshot-screen-2.png

And now I'm wondering if adult-me could beat this with my years of gaming experience.
I doubt it, it's buggy as hell. Dropping off a platform through a door then being trapped behind that door was so annoying.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Half-Life was 3 years closer to the ZX-S than it is to us now. That's nuts.

Maledict

I doubt it, it's buggy as hell. Dropping off a platform through a door then being trapped behind that door was so annoying.

Also on one of the first screens (maybe even the first) the pattern of movement of the pirates was such that it was basically impossible to get the item beyond them. We only ever managed it once and we weren't sure how even then.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
mclem said:
Yup, it updates attribute values in close sync with the beam refresh.

MysteryM

On the pc EGA & VGA demos used to do that with re-programming the palette every scanline, or was it ever other scanline.

Or copper effects on the amiga, but yes I'm sure I've written code in the past that switched the colour at the end of every scan line giving the same effect on pc. Had a colour bar move up and down in a dos 6 command line.

matthewuk

One little thing about the ZX spectrum is that to me it proved that the Z80 was more powerful than the 6502. With no sprites or hardware scrolling programmers had to tap every last drop of performance out of it. And when they did games like chase hq, R-TYPE and hard drivin out performed the C64 versions.

Castef

Banned
Oh, sorry, I was late for the birthday! :(

Well, I'm still in time to sing the ZX Spectrum a birthday song!

KZZZZ! KZZZ! BLIP! BLIP! BLIP! BZ! BZZ! BLIP! BLIP!

This thread needs some Magic Knight.
hqdefault.jpg

spellbound.gif

13-knight.jpg

I don't recall too much about Finder's Keeper's other than gameplay wise it was radically different than the others in series. Spellbound and Knight Tyme were definitely adventure games of an extremely high calibre. Just looking at the shots above reminded me of the depth and complexity you had to achieve to solve the puzzles. If my memory serves me correct, I think I did complete Spellbound and got as far as moving the spaceship around on Knight-Tyme but these games were hard but a lot of fun. never played the last one, Stormbringer, however.

fireflame

If we wanted to bring back those games on digital platforms, i guess we would have to convince the company that bought amstrad(since amstrad bought sx) as well as publishers from the time, or whoever bought them. Quite complicated:/

Top Bottom