• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

35th Toronto International Film Festival |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Hereafter is good. I mean, Invictus was alright, in a slow way, but Eastwood has directed some amazing movies. Let's he bounces back......unless Damon and Eastwood are a terrible team. :lol

Grimmy

Banned
8 films into TIFF and the films are....not great so far. Saw Never Let Me Go and it's not bad, although some very clumsy devices are used. But people who like the novel HATE the film. Walked out of It's Kind of a Funny Story. So far only two films I liked - and both are from Uruguay.

I read the script for Conviction a while back when it was called Betty Anne Waters. Pretty good script. Will see it later in the week.

my Black Swan review (no spoilers): http://thefilmstage.com/YW0

People are shitting all over It's Kind of a Funny Story, but there were things I really liked in it. Tons of walkouts in the press screening though.

John Dunbar said:
If you see Rabbit Hole please give your impressions for it, Plainview/expendable. I'm a fan of both Mitchell and Kidman, so I'm curious to know how it is, especially since there's not even a trailer for it.

Seeing it sometime next week, can't memorize this crazy schedule. Will post impressions here.

Everything Must Go was solid. Some great visual storytelling and Will Ferrell was good. The tone tends to dip into the safe indie side which is unfortunate.

Seeing Let Me In now then 127 Hours and possibly Passion Play after.

was able to get into the very first, very small screening of Clint Eastwood's Hereafter starring Matt Damon. Compelling throughout but atrocious, pointless ending.

Sorry Jason's Ultimatum :/

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Fuck, I knew it. Watch Hoover end up being a great film and winning an Oscar. :lol

It is better than Invictus just for the mere fact it's not pandering, predictable garbage. It's just a really peculiar film, maybe it will work for you. It got trashed by everyone here though.

Saw Biutiful on Friday:

8/10. Least favorite of Innaritu's films.

+ Bardem's performance is amazing; awesome visuals, music.
- Some plotlines just didn't really GO anywhere (supernatural one especially).

Got Black Swan, Buried, Blue Valentine, 127 Hours, Cave of Forgotten Dreams and The Illusionist still to watch.

Blader

DevelopmentArrested said:
Got Black Swan, Buried, Blue Valentine, 127 Hours, Cave of Forgotten Dreams and The Illusionist still to watch.

jeez, that's like half of my most anticipated list right there. :lol

Is anybody going to the The Trip with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon? It looks pretty good, and they are funny (it was also directed by Michael Winterbottom).

Impressions would be great!

Canova

Banned
Ordered my tickets for
- Let Me In
- Monsters
- 13 Assassins
- Stake Land

I'm still trying to score
- The Debt
- Legends of the Fist

more of my TIFF coverage:

Everything Must Go
Hereafter
The Conspirator
127 Hours
It's Kind of a Funny Story

also have seen, but not reviewed yet:

Vanishing on 7th Street - Great premise and opening 15 minutes, but the rest of the film kind of sucks due to it being a low-budget character drama. Loses its horror aspects early on.
What's Wrong With Virginia - all over the place. Connelly is good, but it doesn't really come together.
Beginners - Really good lowkey drama. Melanie Laurent is as charming as ever. Very personal film.
Bunraku - only TIFF film I've walked out of thus far. Interesting ideas, but didn't click with me.

today: The Debt, Submarine and Three.

I just saw the Hereafter trailer last night and your review seems to more or less solidify the impression I got after seeing the footage.

Anyway, how was Let Me In?

brandonh83 said:
I just saw the Hereafter trailer last night and your review seems to more or less solidify the impression I got after seeing the footage.

Anyway, how was Let Me In?

posted my reactions in the thread for the film. Working on a review now..Liked, didn't love it. Too close to the original, which he actually changed it up. The things he did change were great.

Not even interested in watching Let Me In to be honest. I love the cast, but it's so unnecessary to me.

How was Never Let Me Go? Alright? Bad? Good? wut

Expendable. said:
posted my reactions in the thread for the film. Working on a review now..Liked, didn't love it. Too close to the original, which he actually changed it up. The things he did change were great.

Must have missed it, I'll take a look.

Just got out of the best discovery of the festival, Submarine. Produced by Ben Stiller. It's a mix of Anderson/Baumbach. Excellent, excellent stuff.

SubmarineStill2.jpg

Discotheque said:
Not even interested in watching Let Me In to be honest. I love the cast, but it's so unnecessary to me.

How was Never Let Me Go? Alright? Bad? Good? wut

It was good. I had mixed feelings. Some people seem to adore it. Here is my review.

Canova

Banned
Went to pick up my tickets today at the Bell Lightbox. The place is nothing special, but it's definitely happening.

Will go to Let Me In tonight at the Ryerson.
13 Assassins tomorrow
Monsters on Thursday
Stake Land on Friday, midnight show.

So excited!!!

The Debt is fucking sold out everywhere. That's my number one movie on my list

127 Hours was fucking brilliant. I didn't think I could love James Franco more than I already did. People are apparently fainting left and right during THAT scene. Expendable warned us it was graphic but seeing it yourself is a whole different thing. Not ashamed to say the film made me cry.

I Saw the Devil tomorrow and then I'm done. Would love to see more but too much money.

criesofthepast said:
127 Hours was fucking brilliant. I didn't think I could love James Franco more than I already did. People are apparently fainting left and right during THAT scene. Expendable warned us it was graphic but seeing it yourself is a whole different thing. Not ashamed to say the film made me cry.

I Saw the Devil tomorrow and then I'm done. Would love to see more but too much money.

Can't wait to catch it on Saturday.. people just getting out of Cave of FD - interested to see the reaction on Twitter.

- edit .. here's some reviews:

Cave of forgotten dreams just what you'd expect it to be. Holy good god I can't wait to see what ebert has to say

Caves Of Forgotten Dreams = doc about street art from 32000 yrs ago in caves. Solid film.

BTW Expendable - have you seen the Illusionist? It's either that or Submarine for me on Sunday.

One of you guys needs to watch James Wan's Insidious and report back, it debuted at the festival but I'm not sure when it plays.

DevelopmentArrested said:
BTW Expendable - have you seen the Illusionist? It's either that or Submarine for me on Sunday.

Nah, but Submarine is FUCKING AMAZING. The first movie to blow me away this festival. Absolutely hilarious.

Discotheque said:
"Crippled third act"

...fucking Alex Garland.

To be fair, it's because the first two acts aren't a great foundation. Hence the lack of impact in the 3rd act.

Grimmy

Banned
I agree on SUBMARINE - very funny, inventive film. I didn't realize the mom was Sally Hawkins until 30 minutes into the film!

Also saw Tom Tykwer's THREE - quite entertaining.

Biggest failure of a film- GORBACIOF. The filmmaking is great. The script and story is truly abysmal. Sigh.

I missed Three, had to sprint from Submarine and it was full.

Coming up today: Rabbit Hole, Ceremony, Blue Valentine, The Ward, Aftershock.

Canova

Banned
Really enjoyed my first full TIFF experience last night (Let Me In 9PM show), waited in line for 45 minutes. the line was circling one city block (Ryerson theatre), but people were in good mood. Had great conversation with people in the line

Movie is great. Not having seen the original helps. Chloe Moretz is awesome after her performance in Kick Ass and now this, I'm a big fan now (Emma who..???)

Today is 13 Assassins at 6PM, same venue.

I'm totally hooked on TIFF now. I may add 2-3 more movies before the festival is over. Still haven't been able to score The Debt or Black Swan tickets yet. I may have join the rush lines for these movies

Just saw Black Swan. Fucking wow, first off - it may have had the longest rush line I've ever seen; clearly it was the hottest ticket at the fest (next to Mavericks with Springsteen). Onto the film, I have to say that it may be my favorite Aronofsky movie. It's not as heart-breaking as The Wrestler, but it's much more un-nerving and intense. The entire movie is just a nerve wracking experience but in a really great way. Natalie Portman puts in the performance of her career by far and Mila Kunis kills every scene. It's just such a beautifully shot film; also it may have the most shots of mirrors I've ever seen. The musical score complements the movie perfectally, too. I ALMOST loved everything about Black Swan except for the fact that there are a few silly things that happen that you have to just go with. Otherwise, 10/10.

and more coverage:

- EASY A Review
- JACK GOES BOATING Review
- CONFESSIONS Review

I've also seen the following:

The Debt - standard drama punctuated by a few nice flourishes. I didn't really like the structure of the story though, couldn't get invested in it.
Ceremony - I loved it. Winkler's comedy from Clark and Michael definitely transfers here. Very funny.
Rabbit Hole - JCM capturing grief the best he can. A few moments were a little too much (Eckhart screaming), but Kidman was great and I normally don't like her.

brandonh83 said:
Isn't The Ward the new John Carpenter film? Please, DP, please bring me good word.

I see it in two hours. :D

Firstshowing says The Ward is one of the worst films he's ever seen. lol
so does Expendable apparently.

Anyone know where I can WATCH the Tiff Press Conferences? Thanks!

I Saw the Devil makes Old Boy look like a fucking Disney movie. Holy shit. Should also mention that this is the directors cut playing at TIFF and not the edited toned down Korean version.

Got to meet Kim Ji-woon too. I can confirm he is a badass.

Vigilant Walrus said:
I want to see Buried. The description.. Makes me feel bad. Buried alive has to suck more than so many things... Jesus christ.
Yeah .. just got back from watching it. It definetely delivers that feeling of 'oh fuck'.

8/10.

+ Crazy tension and terrifying experience.
+ A real tecnical marvel
+ Reynolds puts in a great performance.
- You will either love or hate the ending.

Grimmy

Banned
Saw NORWEGIAN WOOD, THE SOLITUDE OF PRIME NUMBERS and A SCREAMING MAN. Liked them all, although all of them have some undeniable flaws.

Am gonna be sad when the industry screenings end :(

parasight

Was looking for this thread.

Saw Stone today. Phenomenal performances by all involved. Really great film. The entire soundscape of the film was very busy, and really added to the atmosphere without being too distracting.

Really wanted to see 127 Hours and Black Swan but I ordered too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom