• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D Systems and Hershey show CocoJet at CES, 3D chocolate printer for consumer market

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
https://secure.marketwatch.com/stor...ocojettm-at-2015-international-ces-2015-01-06

CocoJet is the latest result of 3DS' partnership with The Hershey Company. It debuted at the 3D Chocolate Candy printing exhibit at Hershey's Chocolate World on December 19, 2014, as the most advanced 3D chocolate printer in operation. The collaboration explores ways to incorporate 3D chocolate printing into Hershey's Chocolate World live experience and provides valuable market research on the consumer applications for chocolate 3D printing. The company intends to share its commercial plans for this class of chocolate 3D printers at a later date. Watch a video of this technology here .

"Our partnership with Hershey, the largest producer of quality chocolate in North America and a global leader in chocolate and confections, allows us to create unique, exciting and personalized edible experiences," said Chuck Hull, Chief Technology Officer and Co-Founder, 3DS. "Our preview of CocoJet at CES showcases the power and possibilities of 3D printing, and extends our experience and innovation in culinary 3D printing."

"We are now using 3D technology to bring Hershey goodness to consumers in unanticipated and exciting ways," said Will Papa, Chief Research and Development Officer, The Hershey Company. "3D printing gives consumers nearly endless possibilities for personalizing their chocolate, and we look forward to continued development of this amazing technology."

3DS is also showcasing its ChefJet series, the first professional-grade food 3D printers, in its CES 2015 booth. The full-color ChefJetTM Pro will be food certified and produce edible 3D printed candies and decor. Built from 3DS' ColorJet Printing (CJP) technology, the ChefJet Pro is equipped with intuitive, chef-friendly Digital Cookbook software and creates intricate candies and sweets with a variety of flavor options. The ChefJet Pro is expected to be commercially available in the second half of 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gyKmB6RK-4

dpKrIVh.jpg

o9qWzZ7.jpg

PqYQv09.jpg

Some examples of some of the candies the ChefJet Pro can do:

Hb1ZmLF.jpg

2fD4T12.jpg

HTmLn8w.jpg

DwRDgeV.jpg

Depends on how the chocolate print cartridges work - would one be able to modify one and replace with a chocolate of their choice?

Uh... maybe. Not an expert, but thinking about it, you'd logically have to use chocolate with a low melting point that cools quickly. Depending on how much that narrows it down, you could be able to use anything, or only a very specific kind. Also, structural integrity could be a concern... hmm.

Sidenote: Those candies in the OP are gorgeous. I'm not normally one to dwell on how my food looks, but damn. That's some straight up artsy future-candy, right there.

potam

Banned
Oh god. Is this a consumer model or professional?

If I got one of these, I would never tell a soul. I'd just make them think I was either a) a master of finding the perfect chocolate for any situation, or b) a master chocolatier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom