• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Firmware Update 9.5.0-22U available. Take a wild guess what it does.

I thought you could only backup your games with the browser exploit.
How does one play a backup without a gateway?

Without getting into too much detail, the backups you make can be converted to not use any encryption and are installable on any 3DS with a CFW emunand. Only works on old stuff.

Laconic

Banned
Which ST ability is it this time?

Its Sonic Boom sucks, and it has a hard time downloading ops.

...is it a Doh'ken, this time?

The browser exploit is already usable to pirate games, with or without a gateway.
Wait, pirates can now pirate 3DS games without even using a flashcart? If so, how did that happen and was Nintendo successful in killing it with this new firmware? I thought the exploits provided so far (outside of flashcarts) were all designed as tools to allow homebrew without enabling piracy.

donny2112

If they're not going to write proper patch notes why do they bother writing them at all

It's the diference between the patching notes you share with your technical team and the patching notes you share with the application team (who doesn't need to know the details, and would just be generally confused if you tried to give them the details, since it's not their area of expertise). Plus it would give too much information to hackers working on the innards of the system.

Rich!

Sky3DS flashcard and region free works still. Gateway wasn't ever going to work above 9.4 anyway.

Firmware oddly doesn't actually fix anything

JoeM86

I'm a bit disappointed they didn't fix the browser exploit. That is ruining the Pokémon battle/trade community at the moment.

Rich!

I'm a bit disappointed they didn't fix the browser exploit. That is ruining the Pokémon battle/trade community at the moment.

Actually, that wouldn't really stop anything. The only way the browser exploit is used in the way you suggest is via Gateway flashcart or custom firmware. And anyone using those two have to be on 9.2 or below to use it. Fixing it now would literally achieve nothing other than locking people out of region free.

Want to hack pokemon? You need to be 9.2 or below iirc to use gateway or cfw. It's already been fixed in that sense.

Getting the browser exploit patched now just fucks over those who are on 9.3-9.5 and use it legitimately for region free.

JoeM86

Actually, that wouldn't really stop anything. The only way the browser exploit is used in the way you suggest is via Gateway flashcart or custom firmware. And anyone using those two have to be on 9.2 or below to use it. Fixing it now would literally achieve nothing other than locking people out of region free.

Want to hack pokemon? You need to be 9.2 or below iirc to use gateway or cfw. It's already been fixed in that sense.

Getting the browser exploit patched now just fucks over those who are on 9.3-9.5 and use it legitimately for region free.

All you need is to have certain files on your SD card. You don't need Gateway or anything. That's why this is an issue because it's open to anyone.

Rich!

All you need is to have certain files on your SD card. You don't need Gateway or anything. That's why this is an issue because it's open to anyone.

And those files only work on 9.2 and below, do they not? Unless this is a new exploit specifically for pokemon that I'm not aware of? If so, got a link or source? Because its the first I've heard of it.

If not, my point still stands.

JoeM86

And those files only work on 9.2 and below, do they not? Unless this is a new exploit specifically for pokemon that I'm not aware of?

If not, my point still stands

Nope. Even works on this firmware. It's a browser exploit, just like the region free one etc.

Wait, pirates can now pirate 3DS games without even using a flashcart? If so, how did that happen and was Nintendo successful in killing it with this new firmware? I thought the exploits provided so far (outside of flashcarts) were all designed as tools to allow homebrew without enabling piracy.

AFAIK the method without gateway cannot handle games that were built with the 6.0 SDK+ because the encryption there is different and the keys have not been leaked.

Nope. Even works on this firmware. It's a browser exploit, just like the region free one etc.

And even then, gateway users have a method for extracting unencrypted saves and inserting them back in after editing them anyway... Though not into retail carts.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Wait, the browser exploits allows for pirated games? How? Don't you need the physical game for it to work?

Banned
Improvements to system stability and usability:

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

Su3ULJO.gif

atomsk

Party Pooper
man, we actually might make it until the 13th to do a system transfer, and then keep the old 3DS around for RegionThree.

unless we get more "stability" in the next 10 days

Neku89

That's strange. My N3DS notified me of an update, but when I tapped "Yes" nothing happened. I can't update manually via the Settings app either.

OTOH, thanks to Joe I've discovered that I can make backups of my save even without flashcards or all that jazz :D Thanks!

That's strange. My N3DS notified me of an update, but when I tapped "Yes" nothing happened. I can't update manually via the Settings app either.

OTOH, thanks to Joe I've discovered that I can make backups of my save even without flashcards or all that jazz :D Thanks!

A link to this information would be greatly appreciated. We need a congregated thread for 3DS hacks.

I was talking about Pokémon X/Y/OR/AS, whose saves are backup-able via RAM2Sav. I should have mentioned the game in my previous post, sorry :(

Yes, and this is what I meant. I don't think there is a unified thread on gaf with all of the things you can do with the browser hack besides region free.

Top Bottom