• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS hits 20 million units sold in Japan

3DS is one of the greatest examples of a turnaround story ever.

It did so poorly in year one both software and hardware and now look at it. Amazing console.

3DS has sold well in Japan since year one. It was never in trouble in Japan.

Code:
   |  3DS #   |  
| 1|  | 4.135.739|  
| 2|  | 5.626.763| 
| 3|  | 4.931.509|   
| 4|  | 3.153.045| 
| 5|  | 2.189.900|

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
3DS is one of the greatest examples of a turnaround story ever.

It did so poorly in year one both software and hardware and now look at it. Amazing console.

Wasn't the original DS the same way? It didn't really take off until Nintendogs and beyond. And even then in its first year it still did like 5m units sold in Japan I believe.

Brhoom

Banned
ypp2Zb

4ea4s7JF3Q06yR2r_betLJ2NumtCV56nTcVUNHLkw0KECyOgcmZLKtEA57DgqfzhwpkN=w1600-h900-rw-no

tumblr_inline_o015qvBAU31qhqyc2_500.gif

Nintendo is truly slaying JAPAN! End of.

Sony tried, Microsoft failed.

When will your faves?
Atrl in a nutshell.

I don't think you get how media create threads work. That's like saying NPD is not a source for sales.

WTF is NPD? But I see no one in there with any links to a particular source. I can't just go off word here and someone asks me where it came from I'll look like a fool saying some person from a forum.

Huff

Banned
WTF is NPD? But I see no one in there with any links to a particular source. I can't just go off word here and someone asks me where it came from I'll look like a fool saying some person from a forum.

Or look like a fool for discussing Japanese video game sales in real life

foltzie1

Not bad.

Wonder how long it'll take for the next Nintendo handheld to come out. Not gonna purchase it unless it has a high resolution screen (1080p at least) and the processing power to support it. Don't care much about the 3D aspect so I'd gladly trade that away in favor of the above.

edit:
I agree, 1080p may be asking for too much. If the screen size remains that of the normal 3DS 720p might do well enough.

You'll get 480p and like it sir.

720 would be nice

The source is Famitsu who releases sales data every week.
But where's the Famitsu link? I googled it myself and it only brought me here, the famitsu main site, and a couple of other forums, those without links as well. I did a search on the Famitsu page since it wasn't on the front and that came up short as well.

You really need a lot of homework.

No why in the hell would I need homework when I'm out of school? Shit, going to school seemed like a dumbass choice to begin with. All I did was accumulate debt.

DNAbro

We get Japanese sales every week. We know it's accurate. Famitsu and Media Create our the sources we use.

Bladenic

Damn the PSP was a big success in Japan. Actually it was a pretty big success everywhere all things considered. Poor Vita :(

XiaNaphryz

Wait, you don't know NPD? There's a whole archive forum dedicated to previous NPD threads as well as Japanese sales threads.

Are GAF NPD threads not that big a deal the last few years anymore?

ZeroX03

Banned
Don't take that shit with me, because a bitch don't have a problem getting ghetto up in here. So kill that shit fam.

Spend less time getting angry at me and more time doing that homework.

Wait, you don't know NPD? There's a whole archive forum dedicated to previous NPD threads as well as Japanese sales threads.

^

Here you can find weekly sales tracked by Famitsu. 20mln is the total of weekly sales tracked from its launch using these data.

and ^

Oregano

But where's the Famitsu link? I googled it myself and it only brought me here, the famitsu main site, and a couple of other forums, those without links as well. I did a search on the Famitsu page since it wasn't on the front and that came up short as well.

No why in the hell would I need homework when I'm out of school? Shit, going to school seemed like a dumbass choice to begin with. All I did was accumulate debt.

http://www.famitsu.com//biz/ranking/

Damn the PSP was a big success in Japan. Actually it was a pretty big success everywhere all things considered. Poor Vita :(

Hey Vita might eventually sell 20 million
worldwide

Currently playing Mario & Luigi : Paper Jam. Awesome game.

Downloaded Kid Icarus Uprising recently since can't find physical copies for cheap and haven't played it yet.

Waiting for HW Legends, maybe will play Yokai in january to fill the gap even if I have a few eShop games to play (Steamworld Heist and Shovel Knight DLC as a start).

n3DS is an awesome handheld. Love the system so far.

based Iwata

http://www.famitsu.com//biz/ranking/

Hey Vita might eventually sell 20 million
worldwide

Here you can find weekly sales tracked by Famitsu. 20mln is the total of weekly sales tracked from its launch using these data.
For some reason that doesn't work when I clicked on it, but I've been on that for a while and I found what looks like the information here, but the numbers look different. Fallout 4 on neogaf says 8.6 in sales, but on Famitsu it says 9.0 for instance and I see a chart with the 3DS and 2DS, but no info for week comparisons and last year like I see in the thread, but that might have been taken from previous ones and put together. The total 3DS numbers does look correct however.

XiaNaphryz

For some reason that doesn't work when I clicked on it, but I've been on that for a while and I found what looks like the information here, but the numbers look different. Fallout 4 on neogaf says 8.6 in sales, but on Famitsu it says 9.0 for instance and I see a chart with the 3DS and 2DS, but no info for week comparisons and last year like I see in the thread, but that might have been taken from previous ones and put together. The total 3DS numbers does look correct however.

Difference in numbers could be one referencing Media Create, which may have slightly different numbers from Famitsu.

With Yokai 3, Yokai + Romance of 3 Kingdoms, Monster Hunter Stories, DQ Mosnters Joker 3 and Dragon Quest XI, it'll be very easy for 3DS to hit 25 million mark in one year.

In west however, it'll be dead by summer next year. Yokai Watch was a bomb and west couldn't care less about Dragon Quest. It was a pretty good run though.

Praying for you on New Year's Eve.

Fou-Lu

The DS name is strong in Japan.

Wonder if this'll be the last time any dedicated gaming device does this in Japan :(

While the handheld market has shrunk considerably I think a Nintendo handheld will always have a chance to do well in Japan. Games like Monster Hunter, Pokémon and Dragon Quest are probably not going full mobile any time soon.

Top Bottom