• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Homebrew Channel imminent (?)

If you could make the 3DS recognize and play a game copied to the SD card from a cartridge, you are not far off from being able to play any game that's copied onto the SD card. Which would be the way into piracy. So personally, I hope this never happens.

Actually you're right and I'm right there with you.
It's admirable how long the 3DS has remained piracy-free, especially in relation to how rampant it was on the DS, and it would be great if it could remain so.

I have nearly 100 digital games tied to my 3DS so there's no way I'd mess with this hack anyway, but region free would be nice.
I can't read Japanese though so even that would be of limited interest eventually, I think I only ever imported about 6 DS games overall.....

gundalf

I don't think you can potentially enjoy long-term Region Free games with this hack.
Once new Games are Build against a new SDK Version, they will force an System Update and then you are out of luck.
Obviously the case will be different if this could lead to a Custom Firmware but i have my doubts that this will ever happen.

If you could make the 3DS recognize and play a game copied to the SD card from a cartridge, you are not far off from being able to play any game that's copied onto the SD card. Which would be the way into piracy. So personally, I hope this never happens.

what you say may be true for some people, but for someone else this has nothing to do with piracy. Smealum is doing this because he really believes a piracy-free homebrew scene is possible. For what is worth, i believe that too, call me stupid if you want.

Petrie

Banned
Fuuuuck why couldn't he have waited till Friday when most people get paid? Now I get to sit here and watch as the price rises for the next 4 days...

Most people have $15 to spare. This was not something they needed to concern themselves with when timing this.

I don't think you can potentially enjoy long-term Region Free games with this hack.
Once new Games are Build against a new SDK Version, they will force an System Update and then you are out of luck.
Obviously the case will be different if this could lead to a Custom Firmware but i have my doubts that this will ever happen.

Do people really believe that this won't lead to the inevitable hacking of the handheld for piracy? So silly. It's coming kids.

Do people really believe that this won't lead to the inevitable hacking of the handheld for piracy? So silly. It's coming kids.

This particular exploit? No, because the developers of the Gateway flashcart just announced support for 9.X consoles. Unlike Smealum's HBC, Gateway's intended purpose is to let people play backups or dumps of 3DS games right from the getgo.

Petrie

Banned
This particular exploit? No, because the developers of the Gateway flashcart just announced support for 9.X consoles. Unlike Smealum's HBC, Gateway's intended purpose is to let people play backups or dumps of 3DS games right from the getgo.

What does that have to do with anything? Gateway hasn't been able to do things like custom firmware, but with this, it's obviously coming sooner than later.

Hasney

What does that have to do with anything? Gateway hasn't been able to do things like custom firmware, but with this, it's obviously coming sooner than later.

Gateway is probably going to allow custom firmware first. You can already emulate the NAND from the SD card.

And I don't know how you extrapolate a user mode hack into a kernel level one unless Nintendos software is really buggy.

Petrie

Banned
Gateway is probably going to allow custom firmware first. You can already emulate the NAND from the SD card.

And I don't know how you extrapolate a user mode hack into a kernel level one unless Nintendos software is really buggy.

Fair enough then. I guess it's coming one way or another though.

I just think it's in Gateway's interest to NOT allow such a thing, as they want to sell their product. This hack doesn't have that holding them back.

People who want to pirate on 3DS can just grab a Gateway instead rushing to get the HBC exploit and waiting for somebody to maybe create a kernal mode exploit for HBC that also adds a CFW.

It did allow something like custom firmware. It in fact enforced something that could be called custom firmware. Not really sure what you mean by it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
went on gamestop.com and had a downtown store hold a used copy for me, hopefully they do.

portable lttp, finally

Hasney

It was 400th on Amazon.fr a few hours ago and jumped to 72.

And 1st in movers/shakers list "was 21.806th" :lol

It's going nuts!

8BggJ66.png

So no custom channel yet?

Nope. I don't think there will be one, at least from smea. This would require a kernel level exploit to get it installed I would think.

Fair enough then. I guess it's coming one way or another though.

I just think it's in Gateway's interest to NOT allow such a thing, as they want to sell their product. This hack doesn't have that holding them back.

Yeah, Gateway were between a rock and a hard place. Newer games wouldn't work on the firmware they needed to boot it so they had to come up with a solution and that was running the firmware off the SD card. Their other solution was a firmware update for the card itself that purposefully bricked 3rd parties, but also some of their own made cards as is how these things go.

daxgame

thread goes too fast >_>

Ok so it's Cubic Ninja, good. But... where is the Homebrew channel? Instructions how to set it up? What does it come with? D:

People talking about how expensive it is...is there a reason why people don't buy from alternative Amazon sellers? The used guys? Too shady or something?

Still looks like a lot available for $20...

So its Cubic Ninja the only game with the exploit? does MGS 3D work aswell?

Also, how do you guys think things will play out on the 22nd?

He releases the HBC, you go through the instructions, install it and then what? wait for coders to start releasing homebrew games/emulators over the next months?

Will region-free work right off the bat?

There already are some homebrew games and emulators available. You'll be able to run those right off the bat. Sounds like smealum's going to release a Minecraft clone homebrew around the same time as well.

gngf123

So its Cubic Ninja the only game with the exploit? does MGS 3D work aswell?

Also, how do you guys think things will play out on the 22nd?

He releases the HBC, you go through the instructions, install it and then what? wait for coders to start releasing homebrew games/emulators over the next months?

Will region-free work right off the bat?

Cubic Ninja is the only game, and region free isn't on the channel yet. It should be doable, that's all.

Are you aware that the Japanese version is on the eShop? (the only region where it is out on the eShop in fact)

it's 3,000yen, retail I can (could) find it for around 1/3 of that price

the problem is the retail is hard to find cause probably anyone cared about it when it was released :D

(and also I didn't update the firmware, even if I read that exploits works with the last one)

I can't find the damn game now. Is there a way I can buy from Gamestop and have them ship to another store? Is it likely that there might be some in stock in the back that they didn't count?

I guess I'll give a call before long. Also, if anyone wants PayPal money I'll buy a copy for not too expensive of a price. Thanks.

GameStop couldn't fulfill my hold request. Dammit. Oh well, I only wanted the thing for inevitable backup support, so I'll end up getting a Gateway once they have 9.2 support out.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
GameStop couldn't fulfill my hold request. Dammit. Oh well, I only wanted the thing for inevitable backup support, so I'll end up getting a Gateway once they have 9.2 support out.

how did they let you know they couldn't fulfil it? i got an email this am saying it's ready for pick up but i couldnt get through to call to confirm

L.O.R.D

i searched every where in my city , couldn't find it ( saudi arabia )
finally found it in a local store near me and the last copy he had was in the shelf for 2 years
he had to dust it in front of me
and he sell it for $40 because "its a Nintendo game , Nintendo games always expansive"

BS
anyway , bought it because its much cheaper from getting the game online

now what ?

Hasney

i searched every where in my city , couldn't find it ( saudi arabia )
finally found it in a local store near me and the last copy he had was in the shelf for 2 years
he had to dust it in front of me
and he sell it for $40 because "its a Nintendo game , Nintendo games always expansive"

BS
anyway , bought it because its much cheaper from getting the game online

now what ?

Now we wait.

Rich!

I had a feeling that might of been my only options, I suppose I'll have to hope that demand dies down a little after release

It wont.

It's an out of print launch game and you need to have the game running to load the exploit which means people who own it will keep hold of it. Your only hope now is for another exploit/hack to come along that doesn't require the game.

Oh wow, catching up on this. The game that enables this is Cubic Ninja? I was excited for that and bought it new when it came out! The game was terrible... but LIFE FINDS A WAY.

Nice.

Hasney

Hopefully another game/method is found for those guys left out, but I'll agree with Rich. The same thing happened with Phantasy Star Online to boot homebrew and I wouldn't be shocked if that game had an even larger run.

Top Bottom