• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

Boney

Banned
The scaling really isn't bothering me, the new tweaks make GBA on this thing wonderful.

Edit: I'm ready!

untitled-12aayc.png
ckdck4lwgakklee1ox6d.png

The colours are absolutely amazing. I wish the camera picked that up, but they look glorious IRL.
Teach me senseiiii

Joey Ravn

Banned
How do you create the greyscale banners? I used the GBA CIA converter that someone released on GBATemp last summer, but the font that the tool uses isn't correct and the lettering is always very aliased.

Photoshop! Here, I'll throw in the PSD I'm using.

Download here!

In case something is lost in the file, I'm using bolded, 11 pt. Arial Regular as the font. It's the closest one I could find to the one used in official banners.

k91191

Thank Christ I preserved all the banners and icons I made for my custom GBA titles. Shouldn't take long to rebuild them with the hex edit in place.

How do you create the greyscale banners? I used the GBA CIA converter that someone released on GBATemp last summer, but the font that the tool uses isn't correct and the lettering is always very aliased.

Currently having a go at making some 'perfect' GBA .cia's.

I believe the font used is 'SCE-PS3-RD-L-LATIN.TTF' or some variant of that.

Anyone have any clue how to edit the banner that include the games title? When I open a banner for editing, everything is transparent. I extracted the banner from a personal GBA ambassador .cia I had, and it looks perfectly fine (not transparent) in IrfanView.

Currently having a go at making some 'perfect' GBA .cia's.

I believe the font used is 'SCE-PS3-RD-L-LATIN.TTF' or some variant of that.

Anyone have any clue how to edit the banner that include the games title? When I open a banner for editing, everything is transparent. I extracted the banner from a personal GBA ambassador .cia I had, and it looks perfectly fine (not transparent) in IrfanView.

Got the font and templates for it, but I don't have Photoshop and GIMP is so awkward to navigate. The screenshot banners were easy to make, but I know dick about text editing and layers and all that.

Edit: Girlfriend who works in graphic design looked over my shoulder and showed me what to do in literally ten seconds. Duy.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
What's the best way to get rid of emuand again? I am still running 9.2 sys and 10.x emunand. Maybe it's time to go full sys...
Have a9lh ofcourse.
I am hesitant but can't really even think of reasons why I shouldn't.

There any steps to do this or should I not do this?

Rich!

WARNING

BE VERY CAREFUL ON WHAT GBA GAMES YOU DISABLE BLUR FOR.

Some games, such as F Zero utilise a pseudo transparency mode, obtained by rapidly switching a layer on and off every other frame. Guess what happens if you turn the motion blur off? It fucks up your screen, and the 3DS lcd retains it.

tmp_4628-_20160610_04g6lcj.jpg

See that map screen burn in? That's on my New XL. The same also happened on my sister's standard N3DS with a different GBA title that I installed earlier when I was round their place. I've just told her to uninstall it.

I've left a demo mode on a game running for a bit and now the burn in has faded on my console, but its made me wary of playing any other gba titles on it. Maybe the motion blur was there for an actual reason rather than Nintendo just being fucking stupid as usual.

I'm sure 99% of the library will be fine, but it looks like any title that uses the same effect F Zero does for its map screen will fuck your lcd up.

Schlomo

Are there any alternative ways to set up an EmuNAND? Luma3DS just won't work for me, so I can't complete the Plailect guide. I just want to be able to access the eShop again and keep SOME kind of entrypoint, don't even care about AL9H and all that.

Rich!

I'll try and come up with a list of other games that use the transparency effect.

iirc Mario Kart does. I certainly would not use F Zero without blur, at all.

I'll try and come up with a list of other games that use the transparency effect.

iirc Mario Kart does. I certainly would not use F Zero without blur, at all.
Thanks !

If I'm being perfectly honest, I'm mostly curious about the Metroids and Astro Boy. Man, Astro Boy is such a great game.

Pokemaniac

WARNING

Some games, such as F Zero utilise a pseudo transparency mode, obtained by rapidly switching a layer on and off every other frame. Guess what happens if you turn the motion blur off? It fucks up your screen, and the 3DS lcd retains it.

See that map screen burn in? That's on my New XL. The same also happened on my sister's standard N3DS with a different GBA title that I installed earlier when I was round their place. I've just told her to uninstall it.

I've left a demo mode on a game running for a bit and now the burn in has faded on my console, but its made me wary of playing any other gba titles on it. Maybe the motion blur was there for an actual reason rather than Nintendo just being fucking stupid as usual.

I'm sure 99% of the library will be fine, but it looks like any title that uses the same effect F Zero does for its map screen will fuck your lcd up.

Generally speaking, it's pretty difficult to cause permanent image retention in an LCD screen, so if this does happen, it will probably go away with time. Obviously it's not a great thing to do to your screen intentionally, though. Usually the best way to get rid of image retention is to either put up an all white screen for a while or to just turn the screen off for a bit.

Rich!

Generally speaking, it's pretty difficult to cause permanent image retention in an LCD screen, so if this does happen, it will probably go away with time. Obviously it's not a great thing to do to your screen intentionally, though. Usually the best way to get rid of image retention is to either put up an all white screen for a while or to just turn the screen off for a bit.

Yeah, it's not true burn in - but like hell if I'm risking it with my N3DS. Ive experienced image retention on lcd panels that is more or less permanent before.

FyreWulff

WARNING

welp, guess that's the reason Nintendo has it on

Rich!

welp, guess that's the reason Nintendo has it on

Yeah...it totally negates the possibility of that effect causing damage. With blur, that map screen doesn't require the lcd to switch back and forth rapidly which is clearly what causes the retention.

Of course it doesn't apply to games like Mother 3 or Yoshis Island which as far as I know do not use the effect at all - Nintendo just added blur to everything as a precaution, and remember that F Zero was an ambassador game.

smisk

Just getting caught up on the scene and this AL9H stuff seems great! I'm still on ReiNAND + MenuHax, definitely gonna try to get an AL9H setup running this weekend.

Rich!

Right, I need help.

I have a 4.5fw O3DS that I've been given to hack and install a9lh on.

1. Browserhax doesn't work. I need to upgrade to 9.2
2. I do not have cubic ninja or a physical copy of OOT.
3. I do have a DS flashcart for MSET and can boot the rxtools launcher menu and the gateway launcher.

What are my next steps?

So getting round to doing the al9h stuff at last and I'm following the Plailect guide. I'm at the part where I've backed up Sysnand and Emunand and at this step:
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-4-(2.1.0-Downgrade) said:
24. Put your SD card in your computer, then copy over sysNAND_original.bin , emuNAND_original.bin , sysNAND_original.sha , and emuNAND_original.sha to a safe folder on your computer, you will need them later (Your backups should match one of the sizes on this page; if they do not, you should delete them and make new ones!)
sysnand is size of Samsung NAND but emunand is the size of Toshiba NAND. Is this anything to worry about?

Edit: Sorry, should have asked mr. google. Turns out RedNAND always makes the smallest NAND size so nothing to worry about.

Joey Ravn

Banned
After my foray into the world of custom GBA injected games, I decided to try the DS game forwarding stuff. I have:

• R4i 3DS RTS
  • Acekard 2i
  • M3DS Simply
  • CycloDS Evolution

... of which none is compatible with the process. Woe is me :(

Right, I need help.

I have a 4.5fw O3DS that I've been given to hack and install a9lh on.

1. Browserhax doesn't work. I need to upgrade to 9.2
2. I do not have cubic ninja or a physical copy of OOT.
3. I do have a DS flashcart for MSET and can boot the rxtools launcher menu and the gateway launcher.

What are my next steps?

make an emunand using gateways launcher
use RXtools to install fbi

then follow this to update sysnand to 9.2
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-upgrade-your-old3ds-from-4-1-8-1-to-9-2-0-20.389187/

then use plailects guide. do part 1 then skip to parts 4 and 5

dadjumper

After my foray into the world of custom GBA injected games, I decided to try the DS game forwarding stuff. I have:

• R4i 3DS RTS
  • Acekard 2i
  • M3DS Simply
  • CycloDS Evolution

I have an R4i 3DS RTS and it works fine for me

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
What's the best way to get rid of emuand again? I am still running 9.2 sys and 10.x emunand. Maybe it's time to go full sys...
Have a9lh ofcourse.
I am hesitant but can't really even think of reasons why I shouldn't.

There any steps to do this or should I not do this?

Anyone? I really don't wanna mess up and accidentally lose al9h

IceIpor

Anyone? I really don't wanna mess up and accidentally lose al9h
I think this might apply to what you're trying to do? Unless you don't have your OTP file either.
Plailect's Guide said:
If you followed an old version of this guide that did not include Updated SysNAND and want to switch to Updated SysNAND + Luma3DS, just restore your SysNAND from a pre-arm9loaderhax SysNAND backup (such as sysNAND_original.bin) using Decrypt9 and follow all of Part 5.

Linkark07

Banned
Downloaded basehaxx and tried to apply it to my AS cartridge, got failed to open http context error. Does that mean the server in which the payloads are downloaded is down?

• R4i 3DS RTS
  • Acekard 2i
  • M3DS Simply
  • CycloDS Evolution

Didn't know you could forward DS games... Is it hard? Any guide for that?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
WARNING

Should we stay away from all games using transparency? I've noticed there's some transparency in the HUD in Advance Wars and I'm afraid to play it with the fixes now...

Should we stay away from all games using transparency? I've noticed there's some transparency in the HUD in Advance Wars and I'm afraid to play it with the fixes now...

It depends. The GBA does have a color blending mode, which doesn't involve flickering. So not all transparency uses that effect.

squall23

I've been content with 9.2 rxTools for a few months now. However, with Monster Hunter Generations coming up, I'm assuming I can't play online at this current firmware right?

What is the path of least resistance that lets me keep all my stuff (saves, etc) including CFW and lets me play online?

I've been content with 9.2 rxTools for a few months now. However, with Monster Hunter Generations coming up, I'm assuming I can't play online at this current firmware right?

What is the path of least resistance that lets me keep all my stuff (saves, etc) including CFW and lets me play online?

updating to 11.0? lol

Not sure what you mean by "least resistance," but a9lh is the way to go.

B.K.

I've got an Australian New 3DS that I bought before the Happy Home Designer bundle was announced. I was going to do a region change to it, but I screwed up and had to have it hard modded so I could downgrade. When I got it back, Nintendo had changed some stuff and the old region change method didn't work anymore. My question is, if I setup emuNAND on the system, can I do a region change on the emuNAND, dump the region changed emuNAND, and then reflash it to sysNAND with the hard mod?

Moonlight

Banned
So I bricked trying to go from ARN 5.0 to the latest release of Luma3DS and I'm trying to figure out what went wrong. Managed to roll back but definitely wary about attempting it again since I'm not sure where I went wrong following the instructions. Changed aurei to luma then replaced the arm9loaderhax.bin, didn't bother with renaming the payloads but it didn't seem critical.

EDIT: Nevermind, went through LumaUpdater and it went fine. Wonder what I screwed up doing it manually.

Robin64

I cocked up when installing a .cia and now I have a tile on my home screen that's just a black icon, no text, and just crashes the 3DS when launched. Any idea how to remove it? It doesn't show up in FBI's list of installed titles at all.

I cocked up when installing a .cia and now I have a tile on my home screen that's just a black icon, no text, and just crashes the 3DS when launched. Any idea how to remove it? It doesn't show up in FBI's list of installed titles at all.

Does it show up in the data management part of System Settings?

Did you by any chance happen to install the. CIA to NAND?

Producer

Well, whats your setup? And what were you trying to install

quabba

Have you tried reinstalling the cia again (or a different cia of same title) Maybe it can overwrite it.

Top Bottom