• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

Is Retroarch updated yet where save functions work on the Genesis and SNES emulators? I have a New 3DS. Thanks.

I haven't updated in 6 months.

I think you just have to make sure you quit using the menu options and not just powering off the 3ds. Even if you use the in-game save, it won't actually complete the save until you quit out of Retroarch.

Young Magus

So an hacked n3dsxl (10.0.0) via browser then install of OoT3d hax later I got my main n3ds (11.0.0)......
EVERYTHING WORKS WELL!!!!!
THE EMULATORS WORKS AND 1:1 DISPLAY IS MAGICAL!

So any other homebrews worth checking out on either 10.0.0 or 11.0.0?

ss_lemonade

I think you just have to make sure you quit using the menu options and not just powering off the 3ds. Even if you use the in-game save, it won't actually complete the save until you quit out of Retroarch.
With the android version of retroarch, there's an option to auto save sram in intervals. I think I have mine set to write save files every 10 seconds. Maybe there's a similar option with the 3ds port

Keep Select pressed while booting Luma and it should show the config screen.

Same exact thing happened for me, never found a solution and eventually gave up on homebrew because I needed to access the eShop again. Please post if you find a solution. It's too late for me, but I'm curious.
Pressing select seemed to do the trick. It wasn't the only time part of the guide wouldn't load either. Had to turn on/off the 3ds several times, but I finally got it done 100%! It's pretty amazing now.

Azura

Hello, I am new to 3DS Homebrew. I currently have a N3DS on firmware 10.7.0-32U , can you recommend the best option for me?

Thanks!

dadjumper

Hello, I am new to 3DS Homebrew. I currently have a N3DS on firmware 10.7.0-32U , can you recommend the best option for me?

Thanks!

OoThax or one of the other primary entrypoints (Freakyhax, BASICsploit etc). Do not update to 11.0 OFW ever, or you will never be able to get CFW

Would updating emuNAND while on an old version of ReiNAND (3.2 or 3.4, can't remember) affect eShop and online access in any way? I guess I'm asking if Nintendo released an update since 10.5 that can detect the CFW and ban the 3DS/NNID or if it broke online play on old CFWs, if those even possible.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Would updating emuNAND while on an old version of ReiNAND (3.2 or 3.4, can't remember) affect eShop and online access in any way? I guess I'm asking if Nintendo released an update since 10.5 that can detect the CFW and ban the 3DS/NNID or if it broke online play on old CFWs, if those even possible.

I don't think so, but why not update Reinand (now Luma3DS)? It takes a couple of minutes at most.

I don't think so, but why not update Reinand (now Luma3DS)? It takes a couple of minutes at most.

Just mostly curious on how being on an older version of a CFW can affect things and me trying to be a bit cautious after being away from the homebrew scene for almost half a year or so. Anyways, I just updated the stuff. Thanks.

nickerous

So, I have a n3ds with a9lh installed running reinand cfw and emunand. I installed the hacks back in March. Now, I want to switch to Luma and sysnand only. How would I go about doing that?

Do I need to redo the a9lh installation? Maybe load my 9.2 sysnand backup and redo step 5 of the guide? Or, is there an easier solution?

I have been out of the loop since the beginning of the year so forgive me for not knowing something so simple, but what homebrew/cfw provides the best way to go about taking in-game screenshots within retail games?

I have been out of the loop since the beginning of the year so forgive me for not knowing something so simple, but what homebrew/cfw provides the best way to go about taking in-game screenshots within retail games?

That's a function of NTR but you need a functional CFW to run NTR. Following Plailect's guide is the best way to get setup.

IMACOMPUTA

Help!

I downgraded a new 3ds from 10.7.0.32u to 9.2.0.20u and in the middle of the downgrade got the "an error has occured" message.

I had 6 titles that mismatch when i checked with downgrade checker.

I dont know what to do. When I try to downgrade again, it says "hax init". I've tried that like 25 times and it never does anything except hang on that message.

I've read that I could upgrade to 10.3 and then downgrade again, but I can't upgrade either. I get error messages.

I need a way to install sysupdater.cia, but I cant get FBI to run.

What should I do?

EDIT: I ended up using my Smash bros cart to update to 10.6, and was able to downgrade after that.

Kadin

Been out of the scene for a while. I'm on Rei 10.7.0-32U and wanted to update to buy some stuff from the eShop. Am I good to upgrade in this mode while staying on 9.2.0-20U with the normal boot and not screwing anything up?

edit: did some searching and upgraded just fine

MacTag

Banned
Does anyone know how the Sega CD emulator is running? Can I play Snatcher on my N3DS without slowdowns and decent sound?
Genesis Plus GX runs CD games a little slow but some are fine so it's worth testing Snatcher to see. Picodrive runs everything great fullspeed but has weird scaling which was never fixed for some reason.

Sadly Mednafen PCE Fast has the same off scaling issue that was never fixed and at this point none of the RA team seems to be bothering with core improvements.

MilkLizard

Thanks for your input guys. I'll give it a try later tonight when I'm back home.

I'll report back with some results.

EDIT: So I set everything up and it works better than expected. My first attempt with retroarch btw.

Snatcher runs with stable 55fps which is fine for this kind of game.

Haven't played very far yet though.

Linkark07

Banned
There is a new guide that allows people to downgrade their 11.0.33 3DS without using a hardmod. But you need a 3DS with CFW before trying it since it involves system transfer and a DSIware game.

Gonna try it this weekend with my N3DS.

There is a new guide that allows people to downgrade their 11.0.33 3DS without using a hardmod. But you need a 3DS with CFW before trying it since it involves system transfer and a DSIware game.

Gonna try it this weekend with my N3DS.

Just make sure you can afford to lose the system you're planning to downgrade via the DSIware, you can perma brick (unless you get a hard mod). And definitely don't try without a fully charged battery and being plugged into power (the flashing is very slow and you don't want to power off in the middle since you're almost guaranteed to brick of you do)

Linkark07

Banned
Just make sure you can afford to lose the system you're planning to downgrade via the DSIware, you can perma brick (unless you get a hard mod). And definitely don't try without a fully charged battery and being plugged into power (the flashing is very slow and you don't want to power off in the middle since you're almost guaranteed to brick of you do)

Yeah, gonna take all the precautions needed.

Although, seeing Plailect's guide, he changed the insert save method. Instead of using Godmode, which could cause a brick, now you can insert the save using FBI. That's one of the reasons I'm waiting till this weekend, for see if it is completely safe to downgrade.

Anyways, bought the game and have the files ready on my PC. Just waiting this Saturday for start the process.

Robin64

Robin64

Yep, exactly, the default stretches the width to replicate old tube TV's I guess.

Perfect, thanks.

Yeah, the default is a nice idea in theory, and would work if the 3DS wasn't so damn low res. But when you're limited by pixels, it looks atrocious, and Nintendo really shouldn't have been happy with how it looked.

Opa-Pa

I managed to get SmileBASIC last night before NoA took it down and got homebrew on my 11.0.0-33 n3DS, and I have a couple of questions:

-I have an OG 3DS with 11.0.0-33 laying around. Is it possible to somehow get homebrew running on it with the help of my n3DS? I have Ocarina 3D. Managed to put oothax in it and all but I never got to make it work despite reading it was still possible with enough retries

-Is retroarch SNES emulation on n3DS still not stable enough or am I doing something wrong? Tried the latest nightly and games run great but have this awful screen tearing when there's scrolling no matter how much I tinker with video settings. It happens with Snes9x, pocketsnes and Catsfc Plus with aspect ratio 1:1 and bilinear filtering off

-And this is less urgent, but is there any way to make accessing homebrew faster on 1.0.0-33 without downgrading or installing CFW? Booting up SmileBASIC is not too bad, but something even faster wouldn't hurt

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
-Is retroarch SNES emulation on n3DS still not stable enough or am I doing something wrong? Tried the latest nightly and games run great but have this awful screen tearing when there's scrolling no matter how much I tinker with video settings. It happens with Snes9x, pocketsnes and Catsfc Plus with aspect ratio 1:1 and bilinear filtering off

No idea about the other questions, but for Retroarch, the screen tearing problem has been there for a while. Use the 1.3.3 stable version.

Opa-Pa

It seems that you can downgrade from 11.0 if you have access to a second 3DS with CFW already installed. https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/DSiWare-Downgrade

Then a faster boot would come from menuhax, fastest possible is with A9LH
I'm sorry, I should have specified. I don't really intend to downgrade or install CFW so those are out of the question. Thank you, though.
No idea about the other questions, but for Retroarch, the screen tearing problem has been there for a while. Use the 1.3.3 stable version.
Aah that did the trick, thanks a lot!

Having set up everything for good emulation, wow, this is incredible. I've been dreaming of proper handheld SNES emulation since the DS days so this is legitimately amazing. SNES and Genesis work like a charm, I don't even know what to play first.

I'll probably keep supporting the SNES VC for games I like, but Retroarch will do until those actually come out.

Linkark07

Banned
Has somebody done the 11.00 downgrade? Seem I made a mistake and need help so I can proceed or buy the game again.

Bought Fieldrunner the day Plailect released the guide and downloaded it in my O3DS. Now, doing the guide, saw that I shouldn't have done that. Already did the system format and don't have a NNID attached to that O3DS. Do I need to buy the game again or is it possible to system transfer without linking an existing NNID to my O3DS?

Edit: made a new NNID and bought the game again. Well, at least the process worked and managed to downgrade first to 10.4 and now I'm on 9.2. Time to bring CFW to my N3DS.
I'm so glad I never sold my O3DS.

XaosWolf

Maybe GAF can help with this one:

Recently had my Settings and Camera stop working on my Emunand. (Settings hangs on black screen, Camera gives an error then hangs on the way back to Home Menu)
On Sysnand just the Camera isn't working. (Same error-hang combo as above)

No idea what caused this, but if I need to format things, how do I go about that without starting from absolute zero?

(It's a GW emunand so I have a GW card and an OOThax available if that helps)

Rich!

Maybe GAF can help with this one:

Recently had my Settings and Camera stop working on my Emunand. (Settings hangs on black screen, Camera gives an error then hangs on the way back to Home Menu)
On Sysnand just the Camera isn't working. (Same error-hang combo as above)

No idea what caused this, but if I need to format things, how do I go about that without starting from absolute zero?

(It's a GW emunand so I have a GW card and an OOThax available if that helps)

Oh dear god, why are you using gateway's emunand? Absolutely no one should be using their shit nowadays, especially when it is so dangerous and risky to do so. And ESPECIALLY when luma3DS and a9lh offers significantly better functionality without the "bonus" of fucking your console up that gateway offers.

You've partially bricked it at the very least.

XaosWolf

Oh dear god, why are you using gateway's emunand?

You've partially bricked it at the very least.

I've had it set up for ages. The others weren't around when I set this up and I haven't had any issues until just now.

Any suggestions on fixing it then? As is games and online function fine, but something is clearly up if the camera is the thing erroring on both.

Vitacat

Ok, I have an New 3ds XL NA region with 10.7 FW. I also own a copy of Cubic Ninja.

I want to try using CFW. I'm very new to this and have never hacked a 3ds before aside from briefly using Ninjahax to try an emulator out.

Seems liks I have to do 2 basic things:

1) downgrade to 9.2 FW
2) install CFW

I've looked around and found so many guides and CFW's that it's getting confusing.

Can someone please give me links to some very clear, reliable guides to complete these processes? Preferably with pictures, since there is so much jargon involved. Afraid of following a guide that isn't full proof. Thanks.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Ok, I have an New 3ds XL NA region with 10.7 FW. I also own a copy of Cubic Ninja.

I want to try using CFW. I'm very new to this and have never hacked a 3ds before aside from briefly using Ninjahax to try an emulator out.

Seems liks I have to do 2 basic things:

1) downgrade to 9.2 FW
2) install CFW

I've looked around and found so many guides and CFW's that it's getting confusing.

Can someone please give me links to some very clear, reliable guides to complete these processes? Preferably with pictures, since there is so much jargon involved. Afraid of following a guide that isn't full proof. Thanks.
I believe this guide is the most complete, although I haven't used it: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

Rich!

I've had it set up for ages. The others weren't around when I set this up and I haven't had any issues until just now.

Any suggestions on fixing it then? As is games and online function fine, but something is clearly up if the camera is the thing erroring on both.

You will need to start from scratch and install al9h as if it was a new unit. And then never touch anything gateway again.

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

That guide. Follow it. Good luck.

Top Bottom