• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

Dark Rider

I'm working with New3DS
Luma3DS v6.6
a9hl
sys 11.3
to get my set up I followed https://3ds.guide/

I have two problems :( and a question

hbl v1.3
I installed the cia from this link (https://github.com/yellows8/hblauncher_loader/releases/tag/v1.3)
the hbl (it is on secreen *hax 2.9 alpha) never work unless I have wifi on
when I launch it with wifi off I get the following:
"something failed :(
please try again with wifi enabled"
is there a way to make it work with wifi off?

NTR
I'm working with a New3DS so which NTR should I use?
I'm aware of two options
https://github.com/Shadowtrance/BootNTR/releases/
https://github.com/Nanquitas/BootNTR/releases/
If there is other recommended forks please let me know

FBI
I installed the bootNTR CFW cia for the Old3DS and obviously it didn't work since I installed it on a New3DS system so now I want to properly uninstall it from my New3DS, what option should I use to do a clean uninstall using FBI?

I'm working with New3DS
Luma3DS v6.6
a9hl
sys 11.3
to get my set up I followed https://3ds.guide/

I have two problems :( and a question

hbl v1.3
I installed the cia from this link (https://github.com/yellows8/hblauncher_loader/releases/tag/v1.3)
the hbl (it is on secreen *hax 2.9 alpha) never work unless I have wifi on
when I launch it with wifi off I get the following:
"something failed :(
please try again with wifi enabled"
is there a way to make it work with wifi off?

NTR
I'm working with a New3DS so which NTR should I use?
I'm aware of two options
https://github.com/Shadowtrance/BootNTR/releases/
https://github.com/Nanquitas/BootNT...e bootNTR one and the select to uninstall it.

Dark Rider

No, you need the wifi on, but not necessarily connected to anything, the new exploit must exploit the wifi connection somehow.

I keep the wifi off to save battery life whenever I'm not actively using. I'll keep it on for the hbl when I want to use it. I hope they find other exploits to replace it.

You want bootNTR selector, it will handle setup andwt you pick the appropriate version for what you're doing.

I assume you are referring to this one right? (https://github.com/Nanquitas/BootNTR/releases/)

If it is then there is 4 options in there :p
BootNTRSelector-FONZD-Banner.cia
BootNTRSelector-Mode-3-FONZD-Banner.cia
BootNTRSelector-Mode3-PabloMK7-Banner.cia
BootNTRSelector-PabloMK7-Banner.cia

what's the difference?

You want to look at the installed titles and scroll through until you see the bootNTR one and the select to uninstall it.

Yes what threw me off was that there is no "installed" anywhere so I assume where I should go to is "titles" is from the main menu. It is in the list in a green colour so I should choose "Delete Title And Ticket"?

If it is then there is 4 options in there :p
BootNTRSelector-FONZD-Banner.cia
BootNTRSelector-Mode-3-FONZD-Banner.cia
BootNTRSelector-Mode3-PabloMK7-Banner.cia
BootNTRSelector-PabloMK7-Banner.cia

what's the difference?

Two different startup animations FONZD and PabloMK7.

Mode 3 versions are for certain games. I've not needed it

Unicorn

I think I'm ready for system transfer, but forgot things are on 11.3 now. I just updated luma through the app on the n3DS. am I good to install update on OG non-CFW 3ds source and on my a9lh n3DS? and then transfer?

so many noob questions sorry.

I think I'm ready for system transfer, but forgot things are on 11.3 now. I just updated luma through the app on the n3DS. am I good to install update on OG non-CFW 3ds source and on my a9lh n3DS? and then transfer?

so many noob questions sorry.

Should be. The SD transfer will be a lot faster if you have a PC with a SD reader to do it on too.

Ramune

There are no 3DS dumping problems I'm aware of.

Is Project Mirai out of region ? Updates / DLC won't work out of region and need to be installed via CIA.

It's a US Project Mirai on a US N3DS. The Cart version works fine. Maybe I did it before it could update (it's been a while since I last played it).

I have a question: if I update my luma3ds to the latest version can I update my n3ds emunand to the latest firmware? I want to update some cias but I can't since I can't go online.

I do not have a9lh.

I have a question: if I update my luma3ds to the latest version can I update my n3ds emunand to the latest firmware? I want to update some cias but I can't since I can't go online.

I do not have a9lh.

AFAIK yes, make sure it's set to use the EmuNAND firm when in EmuNAND and obviously back up your current EmuNANd first. Gateway won't work though.

Dark Rider

The Mode3 stuff is for the extended memory games on O3DS (Smash Brothers, Monster Hunter, etc) if you've got a N3DS you don't need it.

Thank you :)
yes I'm using a New3DS so I'm good then. Time to install it and figure out what is the different uses for the different NTR CFW versions on this lol

Is upgrading an SD card on a hacked 3DS as simple as copying and pasting everything on the old card to the new card?

As long as you're no longer using EmuNAND yes.

If you are you need to back up the Emu/RedNAND first inject it onto the new SD and then copy stuff over (as creating an EmuNAND partition formats the card).

colon

The SD card in my old 3DS died. I'm gonna get a new one today or tomorrow. What do I gotta do to get this 3DS running back to how it was?

The SD card in my old 3DS died. I'm gonna get a new one today or tomorrow. What do I gotta do to get this 3DS running back to how it was?

If you have a recent backup of the SD (and haven't done anything radical like moved from EmuNAND to SysNAND or formatted the system etc) you can just drop it on the new SD and you'll be back at the point the backup was taken (and will be able to download anything from the eshop thats bound to the account).

Otherwise you need to put Lumas arm9loaderhax.bin in the SD root initially, boot it, set the configuration, put any arm9 payloads you want in the luma folder (you will need Hourglass9), use Hourglass9 to inject FBI, and then use that to install the FBI CIA and then reinstall any other CIAs you want, and then download everything you have on the eshop from the eshop.

colon

If you have a recent backup of the SD (and haven't done anything radical like moved from EmuNAND to SysNAND or formatted the system etc) you can just drop it on the new SD and you'll be back at the point the backup was taken (and will be able to download anything from the eshop thats bound to the account).

Otherwise you need to put Lumas arm9loaderhax.bin in the SD root initially, boot it, set the configuration, put any arm9 payloads you want in the luma folder (you will need Hourglass9), use Hourglass9 to inject FBI, and then use that to install the FBI CIA and then reinstall any other CIAs you want, and then download everything you have on the eshop from the eshop.

I don't have any recent backups. And I'm such a noob I don't even know what half that stuff means. I followed the guide that was in here from 3DS.guide so as far as EmuNand and stuff, I'm on whatever that guide left me at.

The dude who makes the awesome ultimate injectors for VC games just released this SNES forwarder:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ultimate-snes-forwarder-maker-for-3ds.460895/

Basically you can now have an launcher icon that looks like the official VC ones, but when opened, it'll run games on Retroarch. This allows us to get games like Super Mario RPG, which don't work via injection, on the 3DS home screen and have it look consistent with the other VC injected and official eshop games.

I'm gonna try this out for my SMRPG later today and report back on if it works well.

I don't have any recent backups. And I'm such a noob I don't even know what half that stuff means. I followed the guide that was in here from 3DS.guide so as far as EmuNand and stuff, I'm on whatever that guide left me at.

I'm too tired to do it now but if no one else has helped you out when I get back tomorrow I'll write up something with links for you.

b3b0p

I accidentally updated my New Pikachu 3DS to 11.3. Yup, dumb ass, that's me.

Anyway, has there been any news on progress on custom firmware from 11.3? I have read they are working on it. I have read it's impossible. I have read they already have something and it's waiting to be released to the wild. I'm not sure what to think.

Unicorn

I accidentally updated my New Pikachu 3DS to 11.3. Yup, dumb ass, that's me.

Anyway, has there been any news on progress on custom firmware from 11.3? I have read they are working on it. I have read it's impossible. I have read they already have something and it's waiting to be released to the wild. I'm not sure what to think.

to me, it's nuts that hardmod was patched. It eventually happened with Wii way back when, but by then softmod was foolproff.

Thanks, I'd appreciate that.

I'm assuming you already had al9hax installed on the system (since you posted in the 3DS Homebrew thread, if you didn't this won't work but its also unnecessary, you can just redownload everything from the eshop and you're recovered as you'll get)

(This is really barebones to restore functionality, if you want to reinstall homebrew/etc or other luma payloads, I can help with that too, but this is the minimum since I don't know what you want)

1) Get Luma form here: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases , then extract arm9loaderhax.bin from the zip file and copy it to the root of the SD card.
2) Get Hourglass9 from here: https://github.com/d0k3/Hourglass9/releases
3) Create a folder called "luma" on your SD card, and a folder called "payloads" inside that.
4) Copy Hourglass9.bin from the zip file to the "payloads" folder and rename it y_hourglass9.bin
5) Get the aeskeydb.bin and injectable version of FBI from this page: https://3ds.guide/installing-arm9loaderhax
6) Create a folder called files9 in the root of your SD card , copy aeskeydb.bin and the contents of the injectible FBI version to the files9 folder
7) Get the latest FBI CIA from here: https://github.com/Steveice10/FBI/releases
8) Create a folder called cias , on the root of your SD card and copy the FBI.cia to it.
9)
Put the SD card back into the 3DS , and boot it up, it'll go to the Luma menu , configure it appropriately (if you don't know what to set then use: Autoboot SysNAND, Use SysNAND Firm if booting with R, Show NAND or user string in system settings
10) Press Start to save and reboot
11) You should boot back into the System Menu now.
12) Turn the 3DS off
13) Turn the 3DS back on and hold Y while it's booting.
14) You should now be in Hourglass9
15) Go to SysNAND Backup/Restore
16) Select Health & Safety Dump option and dump to hs.app
17) Go back to the menu and select Health & Safety Inject , put in the key combo, and select the appropriate injectible FBI version for your 3DS region , and confirm that you want to install it
18) Restart the console
19) Go to the H&S app and it'll load FBI instead. Use FBI to install the FBI.cia (select SD -> cias -> FBI.CIA)
20) Once FBI has installed, quit the program, and verify that FBI has been installed separately to H&S and that it boots.
21) Restart the console again and hold Y down
22) Go back to Health & Safety Inject and this time you want to inject the hs.app
23) Restart the console.

You should now have everything you need to reinstall anything else you need, so you can redownload anything from the eshop you own etc.

Guys, help me out on figuring one thing.

When I install a game's cia update, it does nothing. If I want to update the game, I have to connect it to the internet to update.

Is this right? Am I doing something wrong?

I don't understand. What does this mean?
Hardmodding refers to physical messing with hardware, removing screws and soldering wires to mother/daughterboards, mostly. It used to be a huge thing with disc games copied onto recorded discs and chips screwing with originality tests. With newer hardware it usually is an external access point for on-board flash memory.

The latest firmware screws with hackers replacing core of OS with older one without touching rest of it, which was historically easy due to the core being encrypted differently. This reduces usability of DSiWare exploits and "fresh" hardware-based rewrites of 3ds on-board flash memory. Comparison with Wii disc drive chips is weird though.

colon

I'm assuming you already had al9hax installed on the system (since you posted in the 3DS Homebrew thread, if you didn't this won't work but its also unnecessary, you can just redownload everything from the eshop and you're recovered as you'll get)

(This is really barebones to restore functionality, if you want to reinstall homebrew/etc or other luma payloads, I can help with that too, but this is the minimum since I don't know what you want)

Thanks for your help!

ty_hot

There's a guide for updating a9hl on the 3ds.guide website: https://3ds.guide/updating-a9lh

Thanks, I updated it and its working fine.
I just dont know if my HBL is updated.

I downloaded this:
https://github.com/yellows8/hblauncher_loader/releases/tag/v1.3

Which is the latests one (1.3), its a normal CIA so I installed it with FBI, it created a new 'game' in the home menu, when I open it it loads HBL 1.1 still... I guess I should do something different? Instally "in the system"?

edit. it says hax 2.7 instead of 2.9alpha, so yes I am doing something wrong. What exactly?
edit2. I am on 11.2.0-35U, btw.

Thanks, I updated it and its working fine.
I just dont know if my HBL is updated.

I downloaded this:
https://github.com/yellows8/hblauncher_loader/releases/tag/v1.3

Which is the latests one (1.3), its a normal CIA so I installed it with FBI, it created a new 'game' in the home menu, when I open it it loads HBL 1.1 still... I guess I should do something different? Instally "in the system"?

edit. it says hax 2.7 instead of 2.9alpha, so yes I am doing something wrong. What exactly?
edit2. I am on 11.2.0-35U, btw.

You need to get the updated homebrew starter pack from Smeas site as well otherwise it launches the older homebrew menu you have on your card.

ty_hot

You need to get the updated homebrew starter pack from Smeas site as well otherwise it launches the older homebrew menu you have on your card.

I did that and it still doesnt work...

After searching this thread I foudn this post:

For anyone having problems with the Homebrew Launcher Loader CIA on 11.3 I can confirm the following works;

Get the latest starter kit from here: http://smealum.github.io/3ds/
Get the latest HBL CIA from here: https://github.com/yellows8/hblauncher_loader/releases
Update to the latest Luma
official release: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases or working nightly (if you understand the risks): astronautlevel2.github.io/Luma3DS/ . You can use Luma Updater for the Official Releases if you have it installed but its broken for nightlies currently/
Copy the starter kit and CIA to your 3DS SD Card.
N3DS only: Restart your 3DS , holding down the select key, turn off the L2+Clock boosts (set it to None)
Update FBI to the latest version (you can use its in line updater)
Use FBI to install the HBL CIA
Start the HBL while connected to the internet.
N3DS only: You can now turn L2 + Clock back on in the Luma Menu (reset and hold down select)
You don't need to be connected to the internet for future runs of the HBL but you do need to have WiFi Enabled.

There seems to be some bugs / instability causing the latest HBL to fail if L2+Clock is enabled when first instaling the payload initially.

ETA - WiFi needs to be enabled on each HBL Launch but doesn't need to be connected to anything. Likewise L2 + Clock only needs to be off during the initial payload install.

I copied the STARTER KIT to the root (replaced existing files
I got the latests HBL .cia
I updated luma to the latest official release, after reboot I selected the options:
- autoboot sysnand
- use sysnand firm if booting with R
- show nand or user string in system settings
(I tried without these options and it didnt work either)
I used FBI to install HBL .cia
While connected to internet, started HBL...

No success.

other info: Luma3ds v6.6, Old 3DS XL on Sys 11.2.0-35U.

Patison

Is there any way to re-install Activity Log? It's stuck on infinite loading screen and I can't get it to work. It also didn't work when I was still on emuNAND and I thought going A9LH + Luma would fix it, but nope!

-KRS-

I did that and it still doesnt work...

After searching this thread I foudn this post:

I copied the STARTER KIT to the root (replaced existing files
I got the latests HBL .cia
I updated luma to the latest official release, after reboot I selected the options:
- autoboot sysnand
- use sysnand firm if booting with R
- show nand or user string in system settings
(I tried without these options and it didnt work either)
I used FBI to install HBL .cia
While connected to internet, started HBL...

No success.

other info: Luma3ds v6.6, Old 3DS XL on Sys 11.2.0-35U.

Hmm strange. I'm a noob myself, so can't really help much. But maybe something in the /3ds/ folder is being kept around even though you extract the new files into it. Or maybe the HBL is somehow still the old version? Maybe try removing the HBL in the system settings and reinstalling it. Do you have FBI? Try going into the TitleDB menu there and download "hblauncher_loader v1.3" through FBI instead. Or maybe I only have that since it's already installed on my system...

Edit: I just tried launching my HBL, which is definitely 1.3 as evidenced by the name of the CIA in FBI, but HBL says it's version 1.1.1 under the logo. I had a previously unhacked system until this sunday and I followed the 3ds.guide site. 11.3 works fine for me.
Edit²: Oh wait it's only my HBL loader which is 1.3? I'm confused, but it seems to work. I guess it makes sense. The loader is separate from the HBL itself.

Is there any way to re-install Activity Log? It's stuck on infinite loading screen and I can't get it to work. It also didn't work when I was still on emuNAND and I thought going A9LH + Luma would fix it, but nope!

Hmm maybe it's possible for someone to create a CIA file of the activity log app that you could install?

Patison

Hmm maybe it's possible for someone to create a CIA file of the activity log app that you could install?

I was thinking about that, but it appears some system apps aren't installed in a traditional way, like games etc, they are hidden "deeper".

I heard that when you uninstall system app you get a prompt to update and it's back on your 3DS, but I'm not sure it's real and if it applies to activity log specifically, so I don't won't to risk without confirmation.

ty_hot

Hmm strange. I'm a noob myself, so can't really help much. But maybe something in the /3ds/ folder is being kept around even though you extract the new files into it. Or maybe the HBL is somehow still the old version? Maybe try removing the HBL in the system settings and reinstalling it. Do you have FBI? Try going into the TitleDB menu there and download "hblauncher_loader v1.3" through FBI instead. Or maybe I only have that since it's already installed on my system...

Edit: I just tried launching my HBL, which is definitely 1.3 as evidenced by the name of the CIA in FBI, but HBL says it's version 1.1.1 under the logo. I had a previously unhacked system until this sunday and I followed the 3ds.guide site. 11.3 works fine for me.
Edit²: Oh wait it's only my HBL loader which is 1.3? I'm confused, but it seems to work. I guess it makes sense. The loader is separate from the HBL itself.

I entered HBL again a few times and in the upper screen it says hax2.7 (this was the 'problem', as I thought it should display 2.9) and in the bottom one it shows veeeery briefly hbloader1.3, so I guess it is working well, but its using an older hax because my system is not updated yet.

I updated the system, restarted normally, now I have the system on 11.3.0-36U, my homebrews still work as usual. And when opening the HBL it shows hax2.9 on the top screen. Inside 'the homebrew launcher' it still shows 1.1.1 which was another thing that I thought that was a 'problem', but in reality, isn't.

Everything updated and working properly. Great.

Thanks for the help guys :)

-KRS-

3DS has been completely sidelined since Zelda and the Switch.

Oddly enough I just dug out my 3DS this sunday when I heard about a9lh. I had not used it in over two years (it was still on 9.5.0). Now I dumped all my carts to SD and have been playing ALBW a bit since I never even started that after buying it!

I don't have a switch currently though. I'm sure if I did I wouldn't bother with anything else for a while.

Oddly enough I just dug out my 3DS this sunday when I heard about a9lh. I had not used it in over two years (it was still on 9.5.0). Now I dumped all my carts to SD and have been playing ALBW a bit since I never even started that after buying it!

I don't have a switch currently though. I'm sure if I did I wouldn't bother with anything else for a while.

I'm totally the opposite. I have a Switch, but I'm on my CFW 3DS all the time and not really using the Switch right now.

Vitacat

I'm still on 11.2. My n3ds is fully a9lh and luma hacked.

Is 11.3 now considered completely safe? Is OOT still running bad, or has that been fixed somehow?

Thanks.

I'm still on 11.2. My n3ds is fully a9lh and luma hacked.

Is 11.3 now considered completely safe? Is OOT still running bad, or has that been fixed somehow?

Thanks.

11.3 is completely safe except for Gateway (don't use it on 11.3 basically until it's updated, it can't handle 11.3 EmuNAND and there are reports of Gateway 11.3 SysNAND losing a9lh), and OOT is mostly fixed on the Luma nightlies (but you have the usual caveat emptor with them).

You will have to update the Homebrew Launcher CIA which can be a bit of a pain if you use that, you can't have the boosts on during the initial install and wifi always needs to be on to launch it now.

Top Bottom