• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS reserves start December 26th.

Nope, the $5 reserve was just some novice employee spouting bullshit since he had no idea.

Alas I still expected $50 and I got my reserve, I'm 6th in line. I'm surprised that many people already reserved one before me. I doubt most Gamestops would obtain more than 15-20+ systems at launch so I'm glad I didn't wait.

Scuba Steve said:
It's what the guy told me on the phone. I'm heading over there now so I'll show you the receipt if it's legit.

sounds like someone made a mistake with a decimal point. P

give an update if its legit though.

Ericescobar15

Neo Member
Okay. I've gone to TWO gamestops here in San Francisco. The first one told me they had the games (shovelware) but no systems for preorder. Then I call the other one, the guy tells me they have systems for preorders. I show up, and they tell me its only games. I want to throw every copy of babiez in the store at their faces right now.

Ashodin

Ericescobar15 said:
Okay. I've gone to TWO gamestops here in San Francisco. The first one told me they had the games (shovelware) but no systems for preorder. Then I call the other one, the guy tells me they have systems for preorders. I show up, and they tell me its only games. I want to throw every copy of babiez in the store at their faces right now.
Those employees are looking at the direct reserve list which it isn't on it, you have to reserve it through the system manually.

Ericescobar15 said:

A lot of confusion at this supposedly big named company.

I called the one over here and they said they only had games for reserve, then had someone call later and they said no, they actually do have systems for reserve.

So I went down to the store and this dude at the register told me they aren't doing that yet and then the dude at the register next to him said they are.

You would think a company like that would inform their employees.

rosjos44

TheGreatMightyPoo said:

I called the one over here and they said they only had games for reserve, then had someone call later and they said no, they actually do have systems for reserve.

So I went down to the store and this dude at the register told me they aren't doing that yet and then the dude at the register next to him said they are.

Sadly a majority of the store managers are very young and un-experienced when it comes to management. I really dislike how Gamestop runs as a whole and how they "Choose" managers.

Ashodin

TheGreatMightyPoo said:

Only managers can see that the 3DS can be reserved (through emails) and how to do it. Other employees will know the standard "we can't reserve it yet" until the managers inform them. Typically on the day of something like this coming up, it's only the managers who will know at first. Then word will spread.

Maxrpg said:
Only managers can see that the 3DS can be reserved (through emails) and how to do it. Other employees will know the standard "we can't reserve it yet" until the managers inform them. Typically on the day of something like this coming up, it's only the managers who will know at first. Then word will spread.

Then it's the managers' fault, still not an unideally run place to put it mildly.

Ashodin

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Then it's the managers' fault, still not an unideally run place to put it mildly.
I am sure that most managers won't go out of their way to contact their employees before work with such frivolous news. They'll be informed when they arrive (hopefully).

Some managers just aren't up to snuff.

Fuck pre-orders. That shit is not guaranteed and there are plenty of horror stories out there to back it up. Only sure way to get a system on launch day is to stand in line at a brick-and-mortar store.

ntropy

HAL_Laboratory said:
Fuck pre-orders. That shit is not guaranteed and there are plenty of horror stories out there to back it up. Only sure way to get a system on launch day is to stand in line at a brick-and-mortar store.
even Amazon? i plan on preordering through it.

Hmm. I wonder if all this is a plan setup by Nintendo to see just how many crazy hardcore fans are willing to blindly put down money knowing that they would bite at the 3DS at any price tag.

Perhaps that's why GS is taking reserves before a price is revealed. They'll tally up all the preorders to feed to Nintendo to determine whether they hike the price up or not. If there are a shitload of preorders than Ninty should have no problem setting the pricepoint at $300, if hardly any preorders are taken, then Ninty would release for ~$250. This makes sense seeing how they could easily collect this data by the time they reveal a price.

How's my hypothesis?

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'm sure there are horror stories, but I've never been screwed out of a preorder. But I have waited hours upon hours in the rain for a system only to be turned away as they sold out just ahead of me :(

Not doing that shit again :lol

Ashodin

Scuba Steve said:
Hmm. I wonder if all this is a plan setup by Nintendo to see just how many crazy hardcore fans are willing to blindly put down money knowing that they would bite at the 3DS at any price tag.

Perhaps that's why GS is taking reserves before a price is revealed. They'll tally up all the preorders to feed to Nintendo to determine whether they hike the price up or not. If there are a shitload of preorders than Ninty should have no problem setting the pricepoint at $300, if hardly any preorders are taken, then Ninty would release for ~$250. This makes sense seeing how they could easily collect this data by the time they reveal a price.

How's my hypothesis?
Sounds off.

I'd guarantee the reasoning for pre-order is that it's past Christmas now, the 3DS is going to be the hottest ticket item in the spring (aside from Pokemon Black/White); many many employees have been waiting for the reserve to show up to lay money down. It's also a good turnover item to suggest for the new year (as well as Black/White) while people come in.

Scuba Steve said:

How's my hypothesis?

A well done conpsiracy theory, Michael Moore will get on the movie as soon as possible.

gogojira

HAL_Laboratory said:

The only issue I've ever come across is when they over reserved the shit out of the 360 and Microsoft decided to half launch numbers. It didn't impact me, but I know others that got the shaft.

Still, those who pre-ordered early were covered.

I went and plopped my $50 down and was the first pre-order at the store. Given the track record of that particular store, I'm 100 percent confident I'll get mine at launch with zero issues. And honestly, I'd rather be bumped to a second shipment than camp out overnight outside of a store.

HAL_Laboratory said:

the only in line thing I ever done was Galaxy 2, and I ended up with a prize bag that i lost on the tube. Fuck standing in line

Ashodin

Mashing said:
I preordered mine today. Other than the staff at the store, I was the first customer to preorder (#6 I think)
And with good reason, GameStop has been better at shutting off/restarting pre-orders, so the "horrors" should be less company error and more individual error (selling a system without prior knowledge of which ones are being held, etc).

jluedtke

Got my preorder in this morning here in the Twin Cities. I was there at 11am and was told I was the first one to preorder.

HAL_Laboratory said:
Care to explain how being the first person to preorder at a GS can spell doom?

Ericescobar15

Neo Member
I actually just called and told them what you guys have been saying. I told them that managers should be able to do it and that it has to be done manually. The same empty-headed responses. There is a conspiracy.

At the end of the day, I was the only person to reserve one at my store today. Corporate really dropped the ball on this one, no signage, and the sku wasn't in the "new release" look up either. No real advance notice, just an email this morning, and no games worth mentioning available for reserve either. Blech.

antonz

I think most are on the ball when they say its due to the fact they wanted no interference with DSi sales.

Moms and such would very likely be wanting to delay buying a system if they know in 3 months Junior is gonna raise hell for a new 3DS after just buying a DSi

Lkr

x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
At the end of the day, I was the only person to reserve one at my store today. Corporate really dropped the ball on this one, no signage, and the sku wasn't in the "new release" look up either. No real advance notice, just an email this morning, and no games worth mentioning available for reserve either. Blech.
yeah. as much as I want this system, the lack of launch info right now may make me pull my $50 back depending on what is on Steam for the next week

Lkr said:
yeah. as much as I want this system, the lack of launch info right now may make me pull my $50 back depending on what is on Steam for the next week

Double edged sword. More info brings hype and drives reserves ending with the allocation filling up fast. Might as well leave the 50$ till the info comes out and if you aren't happy with it, get the refund.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Pre-ordered mine in Portland, OR. #3 on the list! Yay! I've been looking forward to this thing for some time now!

Stage On

HAL_Laboratory said:

I preordered mine the first day it was possible to do so in Canada and was the first to do so at the store I went to. Even the girl working didn't know it could be done until I asked about it and had her look it up on the system.

Sure beats having to wait outside overnight in March. I had to do that for the Wii and I don't want to have to do it again. I have no worries that I'll be able to be at the store when it opens on launch day and pick up my system with out a hassle

IceMarker

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
Pre-ordered mine in Portland, OR. #3 on the list! Yay! I've been looking forward to this thing for some time now!
I may be right behind you after the big press event in New York in January.

Keldor

Pre-ordered 3 of them this morning and got numbers 1 to 3. 1 system is for me and the other 2 are for my kids. Hope they don't pull any 1 per customer bs when it comes time to pick them up.

Keldor said:
Pre-ordered 3 of them this morning and got numbers 1 to 3. 1 system is for me and the other 2 are for my kids. Hope they don't pull any 1 per customer bs when it comes time to pick them up.

LOL, do you really think they will let you buy more than 1 system?

Rich!

HAL_Laboratory said:

Unless you're the manager of the store you're pre-ordering at.

Even then, I will still be cautious until it's actually in my hands the tuesday before release! Roll on 19th! (UK preorders) :lol

BowieZ said:
Preordered the red. $50AU plus insurance lol

Are you sure pre-ordering the red was a good idea? It's pretty unlikely to be a launch colour...

Top Bottom