• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS reserves start December 26th.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Ezduo said:
Speaking on online for the 3DS, are we going to get any more conferences for Nintendo to fully explain everything about this thing? Like, the home screen, how online will work, etc?

Nintendo's going to CES this January.

Emitan

Dabanton said:
If Nintendo have shown us anything when it comes to it's online implementation it's that it doesn't really have a clue.

I await what bright idea they'll use this time that slows down what should be the simple act of playing online.
I really don't think they can afford to be so clueless this time around. They know they've lost a lot of their fans with the Wii and they want them back. The Wii's online features were literally embarrassing as a company. When players encountered a game breaking glitch in Metroid Other M, Nintendo told them to put their save files on a SD card and mail them in so their save file could be edited. It's going to be 2011 when this thing comes out. You cannot release an entertainment device without decent networking tech anymore.
Nintendo knows they can't support a system on their own. Despite the Wii's success, it drove away 3rd party developers. It couldn't support the modern engines that he 360, PS3, and PC could share. And online is huge this generation. But on the Wii it was cumbersome and most users didn't bother connecting their Wiis to the internet other to download Virtual Console games.
Nintendo's reveal at E3 showed their commitment to 3rd party support. They've mentioned how online is going to be improve. They've released videos of the store in action. They are showing commitment to improving the online to at least an acceptable level, because despite all the sales the 3DS will get at launch, if the PSP2 completely blows it out of the water in online services, dev support will wither.

Glix

I think I'll get to the store an hour before opening on the 26th. I want to be FIRST on the list, no supply constrained bullshit for me, thank you very much.

Rich!

Hopefully the UK preorders will start around then. I'll put all the money I get at christmas towards it as a presale.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I wonder if I can still preorder one like a month later than that. I want in, but I'm not sure if I should invest in a 3DS or a new computer.

decisions

:O Hyped!!!!!!!!!!!!! hopefully no need to camp to pre-order, i remember i had to do that for wii and PS3

good thing there's a gamestop 10 minutes from my house :D :D

i remember i sold a wii pre-order that was fully payed off for like $600-700 :lol :lol

in for 2, one to keep and play, one to sell to hopefully make enough to break even.

Keyser Soze said:
It's fine, I will walk into a store day of release and pick one of a shelf, everything will be fine...

Thats because its going to take about a year before its released here in Ireland... :p

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
friskykillface said:
good thing there's a gamestop 10 minutes from my house :D :D

That far? Granted, I live in a college town, but still. I think there's probably about 10-15 within 10 minutes of me.

jeremy1456

Billychu said:
I really don't think they can afford to be so clueless this time around. They know they've lost a lot of their fans with the Wii and they want them back. The Wii's online features were literally embarrassing as a company. When players encountered a game breaking glitch in Metroid Other M, Nintendo told them to put their save files on a SD card and mail them in so their save file could be edited. It's going to be 2011 when this thing comes out. You cannot release an entertainment device without decent networking tech anymore.
Nintendo knows they can't support a system on their own. Despite the Wii's success, it drove away 3rd party developers. It couldn't support the modern engines that he 360, PS3, and PC could share. And online is huge this generation. But on the Wii it was cumbersome and most users didn't bother connecting their Wiis to the internet other to download Virtual Console games.
Nintendo's reveal at E3 showed their commitment to 3rd party support. They've mentioned how online is going to be improve. They've released videos of the store in action. They are showing commitment to improving the online to at least an acceptable level, because despite all the sales the 3DS will get at launch, if the PSP2 completely blows it out of the water in online services, dev support will wither.

You're being a little dramatic. Online is important, but not so much that it can spell doom even in this day and age. Especially for a Nintendo handheld.

Emitan

jeremy1456 said:
You're being a little dramatic. Online is important, but not so much that it can spell doom even in this day and age. Especially for a Nintendo handheld.
It would still do well, but they wouldn't win back their core audience that left them this generation. I just really think that investing in the infrastructure is vital for Nintendo to keep third party support.

Rich!

Billychu said:
It would still do well, but they wouldn't win back their core audience that left them this generation. I just really think that investing in the infrastructure is vital for Nintendo to keep third party support.

More like it's vital because if it has the lifespan of the DS, the 3DS will be around until 2017.

Nintendo need an infrastructure and system OS in place that is capable of anything which may be introduced in the next six years.

$50 deposit, $299 placeholder price, two colors. Zelda will be in the system too (meaning it will be in the computer to reserve).

Although I mentioned this in the other thread a while ago, the date also says March 27th.

asdad123

If i reserve at GS, how long will the hold the system for me? Because I may not be able to make it on launch day in the morning cause of school/work/other stuff.

Will they hold it the whole day?

Deadly Monk said:
$50 deposit, $299 placeholder price, two colors. Zelda will be in the system too (meaning it will be in the computer to reserve).

Although I mentioned this in the other thread a while ago, the date also says March 27th.
A month after Japan o.o They better not! The rest of the world got the Wii within a few days of eachother...

asdad123 said:
If i reserve at GS, how long will the hold the system for me? Because I may not be able to make it on launch day in the morning cause of school/work/other stuff.

Will they hold it the whole day?

48 hours, then we call. Usually, we'll hold it longer if you give us a date you can get it after the 48 hours.

SS4Gogita said:
That far? Granted, I live in a college town, but still. I think there's probably about 10-15 within 10 minutes of me.

huh really, just checking around my Boston gamestops, there are some close by but i'm outside boston so i guess that's why.

even though this has no chance but for people taking sides on the price of $250 and $300, Nintendo should just do two separate skus/bundles.

Just the system at $250 and for the $300 one, add a game,3D movie, 1000 nintendo points and we are all set.

*runs away with flame shield* :lol

Rich!

I'm still going to do what I always said I'll do.

I'll preorder mine at the games store I work at. I'll then get the consoles in a delivery obviously before the release (friday releases in the UK for games, so I'd get it in on the tuesday prior). That'll give me a chance to play on it loads before release.

I'll then simply stay on a extra two hours on the day before release until midnight, buy it, then go home.

Simple.

jeremy1456

Technosteve said:
300 dollars eh

Deadly Monk said:

There, I made it easier to read.

That could perfectly well be the final price but it hasn't been confirmed either way.

AniHawk said:
Glad one of my friends is a manager.

I knew a store manager at Target that got fired from the company for taking Wii's from the backroom for friends/family when they were impossible to find. (Probably wouldn't have been fired if it was his first offense, he had a real shady history w/ the company).

Will reserve @ $250, make it happen Nintendo.

edit:
Deadly Monk said:

FFFFFFFFFF

MindCollizion said:
Which 3D movie will the 3DS come packed in with? What would be the reaction if Avatar 3D was a pack-in?

Rumored to be How To Train Your Dragon but no one really knows. I wish it was region free but I'm not going to get started on that.

Anyway, I work the 26th so I will hopefully be reserve number one at the store I'm going to be at that day.

VegaShinra

A preorder on 3DS and Zelda seems to be the thing to do on the 26th. Def doing that. Nintendo better follow up with official details soon then. :D

I'm expecting the system to sell out @$300. even factoring in the handful of people who won't buy a portable for $300 "out of principle" :lol

PSP2 will be nothing but at best a few tech demos while this is selling out.

Damn serious question. I was going to go pre-order the 3DS last week and got too lazy but I have a question, can pre-orders run out? I'm starting to think I should stop procrastinating. I know it won't run out anytime really soon, but just asking if it's possible.

-Pyromaniac- said:
Damn serious question. I was going to go pre-order the 3DS last week and got too lazy but I have a question, can pre-orders run out? I'm starting to think I should stop procrastinating. I know it won't run out anytime really soon, but just asking if it's possible.

Most likely (in the US anyway), it will be just like the 360 reserve debacle. There probably won't be enough systems to fulfill every reserve the first day so they will go sell them to people in the order they were reserved under with each shipment.

When 360 came out, one store only got 10 of them day one so the first ten people who reserved them got them. Then they got two the next shipment so pre-orders number eleven and twelve got their systems and so on and so forth.

Deadly Monk said:
Most likely (in the US anyway), it will be just like the 360 reserve debacle. There probably won't be enough systems to fulfill every reserve the first day so they will go sell them to people in the order they were reserved under with each shipment.

When 360 came out, one store only got 10 of them day one so the first ten people who reserved them got them. Then they got two the next shipment so pre-orders number eleven and twelve got their systems and so on and so forth.
Ah godamnit. Never pre-ordered a system before so I wasn't aware of that happening. Guess I should take my lazy ass there and do it.

DidntKnowJack said:
I'm not pre-ordering until I know the price.
Yeah I'm only gonna pay the deposit anyway, I just know it will end up being 250 give or take 10 bucks and I hate overpaying at gamestop. They make me take store credit.

And if it is 300 in the end......homicide. And then buy it anyway.

MindCollizion said:
Which 3D movie will the 3DS come packed in with? What would be the reaction if Avatar 3D was a pack-in?
It's unknown if it'll come packed with any movie at all. But at E3 they had 3D trailers for How to Train Your Dragon, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'hoole, and Disney's Tangled. I would put my money on one of those if any movie is packed with it.

But Avatar would make it sell tons, as the only way to see Avatar in 3D for now is to buy a $2000 Panasonic television set.

I can not wait to give them however much they ask for. This wait is starting to hurt my insides. I hope it has an internal playtime clock that holds life time hours on it. I know I've took a chuck out of my soul when the ds is concerned, so 300+ is just nothing in comparison to the amount of time and experiences that will come with this device.

Again, what time are you guys opening that morning?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
C'mon Amazon, I'll wait the extra day and preorder through you. $299, I don't give a fuck, come to daddy.

Bizzyb

Banned
AceBandage said:
Probably right before it launches we'll get some videos detailing it.

I'm assuming you mean the Japanese launch?

I'm sure we will know everything there is to know by the end of January or Mid February at the latest

Billychu said:

Nintendo's weak online was a result of two things

1. The first and most important is that they simply do NOT have the funds to run and maintain a competent free online service. The main reason the DS and Wii had shitty online services was because they were free. It takes money to operate Xbox Live and PSN. LOTS of it. Nintendo either doesn't have that kind of money or has it, but doesn't think it's worth it. This is also they reason why only a select few games (mostly 1st party) ever actually used the Wifi connection for something other than leader boards. This is also what caused the system to be seem as less competent when compared to the other players. Gamers want to go online. Developers want to take players online. Nintendo only went online b/c they finally felt the pressure of the times and even then it was terribly half assed.

2. Nintendo simply doesn't know how to create a decent online infrastructure. Their shop channel is TERRIBLY laid-out, and slow. It's archaic to say the least. MS has had years to figure out how to make it as easy and quick as possible for gamers to navigate, purchase, download and play games online. Sony has some pretty decent if basic layouts as well. Nintendo's online service on the other is simply a joke when compared to MS and Sony.

I just don't have any faith in Nintendo's future online service. They are never going to charge for it, and they will never see it as important enough to be as competent as Sony's or MS's services without having to pay out of their own pockets...which isn't going to happen. They will continue to lose out when comparing 3rd parties games b/c their version of the game either won't have online at all or it will be servery limited.

They just can't compete at this point and is basically why they always give their bullshit "Nintendo does things the Nintendo way" mantra.

Codeblue

I hope Amazon starts pre-orders at around that time. I asked for one as a super late birthday present, so I'm in for how much ever it's going for.

Instro

Codeblue said:
I hope Amazon starts pre-orders at around that time.

Hopefully, that would be nice. Ill have to be watchful in case they stealth add a preorder option on the 26th.

Count me as another who works at a games store, and doesn't have to worry about getting hold of one. Plus, being able to buy it a few days early is always a plus. :D

As for price, I couldn't give a shit. Nintendo could charge whatever they wanted, and I'd still buy it. I've never looked forward to a system as much as I have the 3DS. The list of games we know of and are looking forward to is already comparable to a list of you could make for other existing systems well into/after their lifespan. Seriously, the thing isn't even out for another few months, and we already have the following games in the pipeline:

Mario Kart 3DS
Star Fox 64 3DS
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS
Metal Gear Solid 3DS
Paper Mario 3
Professor Layton 3DS
Professor Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright
Super Street Fighter 3DS
Nintendogs 3DS
Resident Evil Revelations
Resident Evil Mercenaries
Kingdom Hearts 3DS
Animal Crossing 3DS
Pilotwings Resort

Seriously, that's normally the kind of list I'd expect to make well into a system's lifespan when recommending it's top games to somebody. And those are just games that we've seen screenshots/videos of. It doesn't even count other stuff that's been announced/confirmed (like a new Mario game that Miyamoto confirmed, Shin Megami Tensei, Super Monkey Ball, etc). And there might be other games I forgot to put on that list.

I've already got $300 worth of value out of my DS, much less the 3DS.

Top Bottom