• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4Gamers interviews Kamiya: Iwata, Okami sequel, Western media/gamers, Bayo 3 Unlikely

Dawg

Okami is still his best game and glad to hear he would like to go back to that Universe. Wish Platium retained the rights to all of the Clover IPs, cause Capcom sure isn't using them right.

Okami is still my favourite game of his. It's just so... unique. His other work is amazing too, but I've never been a big Bayonetta or VJ fan. They're obviously great games, but Okami is like the pinnacle of his work for me.

So yeah, I'd love a sequel.

Riki

Kamiya: For me, the eighties were the golden age of gaming. Back then, playing a new game was still about experimenting. There were so many games nobody ever heard of. These days, that's harder because of the higher development costs, which in turn makes the industry less adventurous and it creates less new ideas. That's why I'm glad Platinum Games gets a lot of creative freedom. If management tells me to make a specific game, I will do that, but currently it's
our team that comes up with the ideas and not management.

And this is why I buy pretty much every Platinum game.
They're just pure adventure and enjoyment.

kinggroin

Banned
The current videogames landscape just ain't no country for old Kamiya.

I love his games, but he isn't going to find sales success with his style anymore. Maybe doing more indie stuff on multiplats is the way go.

Wensih

I don't need or really want a sequel to Okami because when you get needless sequels, you end up with Okamiden.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It seems unlikely Capcom would give up the Viewtiful Joe or Okami IP (but maybe Godhand...) they keep using it in random places.

But maybe what Kamiya should suggest is a deal like The W101.... a spiritual successor, just as Wonder Red is obviously an expy of Viewtiful Joe. Come up with another mythological spirit animal protagonist and build a fresh mythology as a nod to Kamiya's previous work.

Boney

Banned
PLEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASEEEEEEEEEEEEE
oxLWL7W.jpg

Sits above my couch, it's over a metre across.
And yes, between Okami 2 and Bayonetta 2, I'd buy a Wii U,...... for literally 2 games.
Your W101 omission is pretty funny/sad, especially after this interview

It seems unlikely Capcom would give up the Okami IP (but maybe Godhand...) they keep using it in random places.

It's not even that random. We've had a HD remake last year (2012) and a brand new game (okamiden) in the 2010 (japan)/2011(NA/EU).

Before that, Yami was the final boss in Tatsunoko vs capcom :Ultimate (2010) and Ammy was playable in Marvel VS capcom 3 (2011)

They're clearly using the franchise, so yeah, I think you're right that they'd never give it up. Megaman only wishes he could get this much usage.

That interview itself is a display of reasons why a lot of people like Kamiya. This should be posted when people either call him childish, arrogant, or compares him to Phil Fish.

Marcel

I make games because I like them, not because I want to receive high scores. It's partly caused by the industry itself as well though. There's an overflow of games, including inferior games. Because of this, gamers aren't as adventurous anymore.

For me, the eighties were the golden age of gaming. Back then, playing a new game was still about experimenting. There were so many games nobody ever heard of. These days, that's harder because of the higher development costs, which in turn makes the industry less adventurous and it creates less new ideas.

BtKMG9h.gif

hat_hair

With the first title of a new franchise, there are so many good ideas, so many things you want to do. Unfortunately, you can't use all of them in the game. In the sequel, you can use cancelled ideas from the first game. I do have the feeling most of those ideas are used when you reach the third game though and that developers only make a third game because the fans want it.

I wish this attitude was more prevalent amongst game designers. Make a game, make a sequel that has the things you couldn't fit into that game, then move on.

Yea much rather she didn't come out at all!
sarcasm

Yep its a shame it didnt just die after the first game. Shitty ass Nintendo giving it a 2nd chance

Keep your Nintendo persecution complex to yourself please. I am well aware that Bayonetta 2 in its current form would not exist without Nintendo (although im sure some you actually believe it didnt once upon a time exist in some form on the hd twins) and I have paid the cost to play the game in buying one.

Doesnt change the fact that Bayonetta 2 is being sent to die by being on that platform and its a shame that the majority of people who loved the first game wont experience her swan-song.

Even if the WiiU was doing well, id be of the same a opinon but the fact this is a niche title on a system failing on a near unprecedented scale seals the deal. Sega should have taken the risk and not cancelled the original 360/PS3 game.

But neither of Nintendo's platforms allows you to, you know, actually really draw on the main screen, so the only way Nintendo's touch screens could be implemented in Okami would be dumb as hell.
If anything, Vita would be a much better fit.

You mirror the game on the touch screen during the paint sections. Took all of 1 second to figure out how to do

You mirror the game on the touch screen during the paint sections. Took all of 1 second to figure out how to do
^ This is how it would be done.

You know, exactly like Okamiden did. Map/icons/quick use buttons when you're not drawing, switches to a copy of the action when you hold the drawing trigger to bring up the celestial brush.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Bayonetta 2 isn't even out yet so I feel nothing hearing that there won't be a 3rd. Just glad to hear they have alot of idea left for 2.

Cool interview. Although there's not enough Joe

Tripon

Resident Evil 2 a bad game? What the hell man it's one of the best in the series if you ask me. :X

He's talking about the aborted RE2 version, fan titled RE1.5 nowadays. But I thought Kamiya stayed on for the rebooted RE2, which was pretty much beloved.

mrmickfran

If he ever were to make a sequel to Okami, he would need to fix a few things:

Difficulty level:The first game was beyond easy. The first Okami would have greatly benefited from multiple difficulty levels like Kamiya's other games. The only time the game ever gave me trouble was the Oki boss fight and the
Kamui
devil gates. Only then was I able to see more depth in the combat system.

Dungeon design:The first games dungeons were really boring at times. There was nothing in there that I would say was fun or memorable and some were just super long (I'm looking at you Oni Island!) I really don't like comparing this game to the Zelda franchise, but this is the only comparison that would make sense: The dungeons in the Zelda games were fun because they had crazy and creative ideas and were fleshed out enough that they thought of every way possible to test you with one single idea (especially the timeshift Orbs in Skyward Sword).

The opening: There's a reason this game's opening was number 3 in Gametrailers': Top Ten Worst Openings. It went on for waaay too long (I almost fell asleep on my first playthrough of it). Either cut it short, or have me learn the story as I'm playing the game, instead of dumping all at once.

I still love the game, even though it is my least favorite Kamiya game (When you're in the same category as the original Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Bayonetta, and The Wonderful 101; you have quite a standard to meet).

But neither of Nintendo's platforms allows you to, you know, actually really draw on the main screen, so the only way Nintendo's touch screens could be implemented in Okami would be dumb as hell.
If anything, Vita would be a much better fit.

In this forum nintendo consoles are never good for anything....quite sad actually.

Metallix87

Keep your Nintendo persecution complex to yourself please. I am well aware that Bayonetta 2 in its current form would not exist without Nintendo (although im sure some you actually believe it didnt once upon a time exist in some form on the hd twins) and I have paid the cost to play the game in buying one.

Doesnt change the fact that Bayonetta 2 is being sent to die by being on that platform and its a shame that the majority of people who loved the first game wont experience her swan-song.

Even if the WiiU was doing well, id be of the same a opinon but the fact this is a niche title on a system failing on a near unprecedented scale seals the deal. Sega should have taken the risk and not cancelled the original 360/PS3 game.
If they love the game so much, they'll buy a Wii U. Simple as that. You need to get over it being a Wii U exclusive.

ShinAmano

So as for bayonetta...I was always under the impression that it sold well...what happened? As for bayo 2 I can't see it matching the firsts sales due to platform. It is unfortunate all around the first is a great game.

Riki

So as for bayonetta...I was always under the impression that it sold well...what happened? As for bayo 2 I can't see it matching the firsts sales due to platform. It is unfortunate all around the first is a great game.
It sold decently for what it was. But a lot of the sales were at bargin bin prices.
Sega didn't see a sequel making money.

HYDE

Banned
But they pretty much have the best hardware for Okami right now. The one on which, you know, one can actually really draw.

what i was going to say...

also give me a Bayonetta I disc on Wii U!!

I want Raiden II more than Okami ( which self-contains both sequels :)

Dawg

Please stop asking for sequels :(

I don't think sequels are a bad thing. It's like Kamiya said: a lot of cancelled (good) ideas are used in the second game. The fact he'd like to do an Okami sequel probably means he has quite a few ideas he'd like to try out in a sequel.

Sequels are only bad when the developer has clearly run out of ideas and is only making a new game because there's a huge demand and they know it'll sell despite franchise fatigue or whatever.

If the Wii U gets a game people want (Bayonetta 2), they should buy a Wii U instead of bitching about it on message boards. Isn't that what everyone complains about? Nintendo not having any games?

This thread mostly reminds me that I still need to play Okami.

fred

Did the interviewer REALLY just call Resident Evil 2 a bad game..? Perhaps it lost something in the translation..? It's the best Resident Evil game of the lot. :Oo

Not great in terms of sales, perhaps that's what he meant..?

I'd sell my soul to Santa if Capcom remade it!!!

Sendou

Did the interviewer REALLY just call Resident Evil 2 a bad game..? Perhaps it lost something in the translation..? It's the best Resident Evil game of the lot. :Oo

Not great in terms of sales, perhaps that's what he meant..?

I'd sell my soul to Santa if Capcom remade it!!!

Unsuccesful meaning that it had to be redone at one point. This was talked in the Iwata Asks with Kamiya.

Few select quotes:

Kamiya said:
Yes. But immediately after, when Mikami-san made me director of Resident Evil 2, I messed up in a big way. As a result of saying okay to everything that came up, it turned out horrible. We had to scrap what we had spent a year and a half making.

Kamiya said:
So everything that didn't work out was my fault as director. Resident Evil 2 was receiving attention as one of Capcom's new big titles, so the news quickly spread throughout the company. I felt like people were staring at me in the company cafeteria and saying, "That's him! That's the guy who ruined Resident Evil 2!" It was a shock, and very hard.

Sendou

Whoa wait

I thought an Okami sequel by Platinum Games was impossible anyway what with Capcom owning the IP?

Not really. Platinum doesn't own Bayonetta IP either and still they are making a sequel. Everything comes down to money. If someone is ready to pay Capcom off then it will happen.

Not really. Platinum doesn't own Bayonetta IP either and still they are making a sequel. Everything comes down to money. If someone is ready to pay Capcom off then it will happen.

Ah, so Sega owns the Bayonetta IP? Man, Okami is one of my favourite games ever. A sequel with a similar scope would be amazing...

Dawg

Nintendo has a pretty good relation with Capcom, so if they really want... I could see a Wii U (exclusive?) Okami 2 happen.

Phazon

Nintendo has a pretty good relation with Capcom, so if they really want... I could see a Wii U (exclusive?) Okami 2 happen.

Jup, relation with Capcom is very good atm. They could be the perfect leverage between Platinum and Capcom, because I think the relation between the last two would be a bit difficult.

antonz

I see some people havent seen the art academy sketchpad thread if they think drawing etc is impossible on the wii U gamepad

Top Bottom