• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

So I know I've mentioned the Geek Out 450 - Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII combo but I hadn't had a chance to listen to it myself. Well, my Leckerton came in the mail yesterday so I spent last night rocking the combo with my NAD VISO HP50s:

I was impressed. Running the GO into the Leckerton does seem to add something the GO was missing by itself. I wasn't running A/B tests so I hope I'm not succumbing to confirmation bias but the combo has a really nice sound.

What's more, it makes a great portable duo-- I can run the full setup from my laptop or use the Leckerton with my iPhone via the CCK (it can run on its own battery power so no need to add a hub to the mix). The Leckerton also has optical and coaxial inputs as well as the line in so it's got everything covered that the GO doesn't (only USB input). Both devices are so small and compact, I can toss them into practically anything without adding much weight or bulk.

Reading this back, I must sound like a promotional plant but I really, really dig how it sounds.

LOL. The Leck is pretty nice. I had one about two years ago but I returned it since I couldn't really tell the difference between it and the iPhone 4 I had (the 4 is the best measuring iPhone tho I believe. Super linear) with my ES5. It DEFINITELY comes in handy if you've got full sized cans tho. Very small and transparent unit with a good amount of power on tap

Just got the Ocharaku Donguri Keyaki in today. Really dig em from a cursory listen. More well behaved than the Flat-4s I've heard, with a more forward midrange, while paradoxically retaining that fantastically open and detailed sound that Ocharaku is known for. I'll be selling off the Sony Z5 as it's really not my thing at all.

Does anyone have any recommendations for headphones for young kids?

My nephews really want over the ear headphones for Christmas. They are 7 and 9. Obviously they do not need to be amazing audiophile quality but I don't want garbage either. Would prefer to spend $40 or less if possible. Build quality and looks are important. They will be listening to some music, but my guess is mostly movies and 3DS/iOS games.

HiResDes

My nephews really want over the ear headphones for Christmas. They are 7 and 9. Obviously they do not need to be amazing audiophile quality but I don't want garbage either. Would prefer to spend $40 or less if possible. Build quality and looks are important. They will be listening to some music, but my guess is mostly movies and 3DS/iOS games.

Get them two different colors of these - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FWB9TQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Tabasco

You're gonna want to upgrade your soundcard to something that supports dolby headphone, then connect your dac using the optical out...The Taksar nor the AD700 are gonna be much of an improvement music wise over the 555. You'd probably have to step up to something like Fidelio X1/X2 or AKG Q701 to really hear those improvements.
Do you think that the HD 555 is substantial enough right now still?

I'm also not sure if the DAC/amp I bought is actually worth it or not.

I would rather not go the sound card route, so are there any pair of headphones that can be driven with just a DAC/amp alone that create that large sound stage?

Of course, if there isn't a significant upgrade I can get, then I'll just keep using the HD 555 and possibly return the DAC/amp.

I'm thinking about getting a 1000, I want something extremely compact and don't want to have to use additional amps rather than one high performing all inclusive unit. Right now it's between the 1000, Fun, and Audio GB NFB 11
I'm sure the 1000 would be great. I really like the flexibility that having the duo gives me. Since I'm using IEMs sometimes and full cans other times, I thought the 450 would be a better fit than either the 1000 or the IEM 100. As I mentioned, I do think the Leckerton improved the sound for me but the GO alone is plenty good. I don't think you'd be disappointed with it. I'm curious how the Schiit Fulla compares.

Jzero

They're probably going to throw them in your face for not buying them Beats. Damn kids.

bedlamite

What does everyone think of the Woo Audio WA7? I'll be coming into a bit of money in a few weeks' time and I'd like to upgrade my amp/DAC (it's currently a gen 1Matrix M-Stage). I have a Q701 as well as a bunch of other mid-fi cans and I'll also be picking up a HD650 soonish. I definitely want to go with tube amps and since I'll be splashing out so much cash whatever I get might as well look nice. The Bottlehead Crack OTL seems to be the default choice for a HD650 tube amp but it looks hideous; the wife would never let that in the house.

Keeping the budget to about a grand, could I do better than the WA7?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
One of my friends (without a GAF account) is looking for some headphones. He uses them at work so noise leak is a worry, and he'd like to spend around $100. Hasn't decided between on-ear or over-ear.

Any suggestions?

Duxxy3

One of my friends (without a GAF account) is looking for some headphones. He uses them at work so noise leak is a worry, and he'd like to spend around $100. Hasn't decided between on-ear or over-ear.

Any suggestions?

If noise leak, especially at work, is a major concern I would probably go with an IEM.

LFF has been around for a pretty damn long time and is a trusted vendor on HF. You can purchase his mods at:

http://enigmaticaudio.com

I've got on good word from Muppetface that the Paradox Slant/Schiit Vali combo is insanely good for the money.

She shared the following with me when I inquired about the Enigma:
To be perfectly honest, the Enigma is a very enjoyable headphone, but it's not a top-tier sounding headphone in my opinion. It has a laid back signature, and once in a while it sounds impressively accurate in its ability to capture space on a well mastered recording. I respect LFF and know he put a ton of work into it, but I personally feel his Paradox Slant (the latest version) is superior in most respects. LFF has done everything he can to make those little plastic cups disappear, but at the end of the day he can't work a miracle: there's still traces of that plastic-y cup sound. It's not that noticeable though unless you're looking for it. The Paradox sounds very open for a closed headphone... The Vali + Paradox Slant is an amazing combo though IMO and can rival setups costing four times as much.

If there was a T50 mod I'd ever get, it'd be the Slant.

LFF has been around for a pretty damn long time and is a trusted vendor on HF. You can purchase his mods at:

http://enigmaticaudio.com

I've got on good word from Muppetface that the Paradox Slant/Schiit Vali combo is insanely good for the money.

She shared the following with me when I inquired about the Enigma:

If there was a T50 mod I'd ever get, it'd be the Slant.

Sorry if these are noob questions, but looking at that website, he lists 3 products. The Enigma ($900), the Paradox ($500), and the Slant ($600). Which of the latter 2 are people referring to when they talk about the "paradox slant"? The second or the third?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
So I know I've mentioned the Geek Out 450 - Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII combo but I hadn't had a chance to listen to it myself. Well, my Leckerton came in the mail yesterday so I spent last night rocking the combo with my NAD VISO HP50s:

I was impressed. Running the GO into the Leckerton does seem to add something the GO was missing by itself. I wasn't running A/B tests so I hope I'm not succumbing to confirmation bias but the combo has a really nice sound.

What's more, it makes a great portable duo-- I can run the full setup from my laptop or use the Leckerton with my iPhone via the CCK (it can run on its own battery power so no need to add a hub to the mix). The Leckerton also has optical and coaxial inputs as well as the line in so it's got everything covered that the GO doesn't (only USB input). Both devices are so small and compact, I can toss them into practically anything without adding much weight or bulk.

Reading this back, I must sound like a promotional plant but I really, really dig how it sounds.

What's your detailed opinion of the HP50? If you don't mind. I'd just like someone else's opinion, other than mine, to be shared in this thread.

Sorry if these are noob questions, but looking at that website, he lists 3 products. The Enigma ($900), the Paradox ($500), and the Slant ($600). Which of the latter 2 are people referring to when they talk about the "paradox slant"? The second or the third?

I don't think the Enigma is a T50 mod. I believe it's a planar of LFF's own design, I could be wrong about that. The Paradox and Paradox Slant are both T50 mods. The "Slant" is the paradox successor (also referred to as the Paradox Slant), it has the same signature as the original "Paradox," but has some extensive modding to the cups in order to help make them "disappear" thus simulating an open can. It's similar to how the Alpha Dog mod improves upon the original Mad Dog by adding that open sensation of space.

Also, do note that the both the Paradox and the Para Slant are both very neutral cans so they're not for everyone. Digifreak once told me that sound similar to the UERM. If I were to go for one, it'd definitely be the Slant.

I don't think the Enigma is a T50 mod. I believe it's a planar of LFF's own design, I could be wrong about that. The Paradox and Paradox Slant are both T50 mods. The "Slant" is the paradox successor (also referred to as the Paradox Slant), it has the same signature as the original "Paradox," but has some extensive modding to the cups in order to help make them "disappear" thus simulating an open can. It's similar to how the Alpha Dog mod improves upon the original Mad Dog by adding that open sensation of space.

Also, do note that the both the Paradox and the Para Slant are both very neutral cans so they're not for everyone. Digifreak once told me that sound similar to the UERM. If I were to go for one, it'd definitely be the Slant.

I just remembered that going back to my original requirements, preventing sound leakage is more important to me than quality. So based on that, maybe the Mad Dog Pro is a better option for me. Reviews seem to indicate they have significantly less leakage than the Slants.

I just remembered that going back to my original requirements, preventing sound leakage is more important to me than quality. So based on that, maybe the Mad Dog Pro is a better option for me. Reviews seem to indicate they have significantly less leakage than the Slants.

I can't say anything about the leaking on the Paras since I've never heard them. That's interesting that they leak sound though, I wonder if LFF ported the drivers or something. The Mad Dogs sound really good. I have an original pair and I've heard my friend's 3.2 MD. I'd put the Final Audio Design Pandora VI over any MD I've heard tho. It's in the same price bracket as the MD/Paradox as well. I often see second pairs going for $400-500. Might be worth considering

HiResDes

They're also fucking beautiful headphones.

So I've act decided I'm selling my Schiit stack and then eventually my X1s. And instead of waiting for the 400i to drop I'm going with the Master and Dynamic MH40 instead. I think I'm ready for something even more mid centric after falling in love with my Rockets. Wish me luck

What's your detailed opinion of the HP50? If you don't mind. I'd just like someone else's opinion, other than mine, to be shared in this thread.
I like them very much. Keep in mind I'm not coming from a super analytic set of ears at this stage nor do I have any higher tier cans to compare them to.

Not sure if I'd attribute it to whatever their RoomFeel tech is or their slightly warm sound but I find them very pleasant to listen to-- my ears don't tire of them and I don't sense any glare. I also really appreciate the bass-- it's tight, feels extensive to me, and isn't mushy/boomy.

It's hard to comment on the soundstage because I don't have much to compare it to, but it seems moderate-- neither overly narrow nor super wide. It doesn't sound too closed in to me. The pads fit my ears well so I can wear them for extended periods without getting irritated.

The cans are easy to drive and seem easy to pair with. The only negative I can think of is that they aren't super sexy looking but that doesn't bother me.

I find they're just a great all around set of headphones. They don't excel at any one thing which may cause them to get overlooked-- they're not the best looking, not the heaviest base, don't have the widest soundstage, etc.-- but I don't find they have any obvious faults and, as I said at the top, I find them extremely pleasant to listen with, regardless of the type of music I throw at it (rock/pop, hip-hop, electronica, classical, etc.).

They're also fucking beautiful headphones.

So I've act decided I'm selling my Schiit stack and then eventually my X1s. And instead of waiting for the 400i to drop I'm going with the Master and Dynamic MH40 instead. I think I'm ready for something even more mid centric after falling in love with my Rockets. Wish me luck

Seeing the light yo. You really ought to get around to hearing a good pair of FADs some day if mids are music is your thing

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Can't do on-ear, or I'd jump on those V-Moda's.

If that was a reply to the K551 then it was part of Amazon lightning deal last night at 7pm. It's been up couple of times now, so keep an eye out for it.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out.

----

edit: 551's are $107 more through Amazon US than Amazon UK. grumble.

mr2xxx

Banned
What kind of sound signature should I look for in a DAC?

I have the Phillips X1 which are described as warm ( whatever that means) and a lot of bass. Do I look for a DAC that is neutral to retain the sound signature? Or something that is warm, can you get too warm? Or should I go in the opposite direction and get the opposite of warm and bass to get something more neutral?

I guess it has a lot to do what I like, but I have no idea what I like yet.

Which stack did you have and what made you decide to sell it? What are you getting to replace it?

HiResDes

Are these fairly portable? Would running with them be an option? Hard to tell how big they are
Pretty damn light and small. They're super durable and fit pretty well for an on ear, but the moisture would be my only concern
Which stack did you have and what made you decide to sell it? What are you getting to replace it?
I just had a basic modi and Magni unit. I was quite smitten with it especially with the DAC, but I just missed the warmth of my old EF2A tube unit so I'm thinking about buying the FUN as a replacement.
What kind of sound signature should I look for in a DAC?

I have the Phillips X1 which are described as warm ( whatever that means) and a lot of bass. Do I look for a DAC that is neutral to retain the sound signature? Or something that is warm, can you get too warm? Or should I go in the opposite direction and get the opposite of warm and bass to get something more neutral?

I guess it has a lot to do what I like, but I have no idea what I like yet.
You always want the DAC specifically to be the utmost clean and neutral because that's the best bass for high quality sound. The good news is that relatively cheap units like the ODAC and modi are all you'll ever need really. They're fantastically clean no frills units.

I just had a basic modi and Magni unit. I was quite smitten with it especially with the DAC, but I just missed the warmth of my old EF2A tube unit so I'm thinking about buying the FUN as a replacement.
That FUN looks like... fun with the ability to swap all kinds of modules in and out. The Schiit tube amps didn't entice you?

You always want the DAC specifically to be the utmost clean and neutral because that's the best bass for high quality sound. The good news is that relatively cheap units like the ODAC and modi are all you'll ever need really. They're fantastically clean no frills units.
I'd definitely add the Geek Outs to that list, if I were making one. Anybody here own or have experience with the ODAC? I read such mixed messages about it jumping back and forth between head-fi and changstar. I haven't had a chance to hear one. I'm really happy with what I have right now but I'm seriously curious about how it performs.

mr2xxx

Banned

This is what i don't get at all with you audiophile types! You recommend something neutral which you had and enjoyed. Then you recommend it to me, yet you miss your tube unit which added warmth and goes against your recommendation. You also had the X1's if I'm not mistaken which puts you in same situation I'm in.

Is this a case of do as I say and not as I do? It's like you guys know what the right answer is by recommending neutral yet you're denying your heart! I'm just confused with all this, thanks for the input though.

Are you keeping the Modi and just getting a tube amp?

HiResDes

This is what i don't get at all with you audiophile types! You recommend something neutral which you had and enjoyed. Then you recommend it to me, yet you miss your tube unit which added warmth and goes against your recommendation. You also had the X1's if I'm not mistaken which puts you in same situation I'm in.

Is this a case of do as I say and not as I do? It's like you guys know what the right answer is by recommending neutral yet you're denying your heart! I'm just confused with all this, thanks for the input though.

The modi is not the problem, but it's unnecessary if I get a combo unit like I'm planning.

HiResDes

I'll probably get the Modi 2 uber then. Should I get the EF-2A or Magni to pair with the Modi since it requires an amp?

I'd stick with Schiit if you're gonna get the Modi 2. Consider the Vali. Or if you want to go all the way tube the Little Dot MK2 is great.

You absolutely want a neutral DAC, since, if you're interesting in hearing the actual character of your phones, you'll want to feed it an uncolored signal. It's similar to coffee. If you want to taste the characteristics of the bean, would you use funky tasting tap water or purified water?

Would you recommend the v-moda m80 over the Sennheiser HD 598?

I am always curious to hear what people think, I am not an audiophile at all but I would like to think I can hear a difference in headphones and whatnot.

Top Bottom