• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

well i have a problem with my Amp. it makes so much heat my cat keeps sleeping on top of it! is there anything i can do to keep her off it? every time i come home (during the burn in) she is fast asleep on top of the damn thing!

well i have a problem with my Amp. it makes so much heat my cat keeps sleeping on top of it! is there anything i can do to keep her off it? every time i come home (during the burn in) she is fast asleep on top of the damn thing!

Have you considered putting it in a tub of water? That should keep your cat away no matter how warm and boxlike it looks.

dralla

I just won a new FiiO E17 off eBay for $99. Nice. I was gonna get the E10K but for just a little more this seemed like a good deal to jump on. Plus I had PayPal credit, so even cheaper.

FoxSpirit

10 minutes, 20 for the OCD, of preheating is generally enough so you can shoo your cat away. Otherwise, build an overcase with side vents. Or glue anti pigeon spikes to it. Okay, okay, not really.
Also, welcome to Class A. Buy a Stereo amp and forget regular heating :p

10 minutes, 20 for the OCD, of preheating is generally enough so you can shoo your cat away. Otherwise, build an overcase with side vents. Or glue anti pigeon spikes to it. Okay, okay, not really.
Also, welcome to Class A. Buy a Stereo amp and forget regular heating :p
Between the HA-1 and my plasma, the area is getting so damn warm! I'm not just running the amp in, but the headphones as well. Then when the audeze's arrive this week I'll do it with those too. Let's see, all the reviewers said the oppo sounded much better each day after running in.

I have a couple of questions that I know that I will be able to get answered in here so here it goes. I recently got an iPhone 6 Plus, and I was using a wireless headset with it (LG Tone Plus). Unfortunately, the LG Tone sucks as far as durability goes (3 pairs in 6 months, all dead on the right side), so I'm in need of a wireless solution. I use my headphones all day long on my job ( work for a delivery company hence the need for a wireless solution so the wires dont get on my way ) and I am right now using the iPhone buds which arent that bad but I have to route the cable under my shirt so its not visible and its just a pita to be attached to a cable while working. I am coming from a Note 3 which have APTx and with the LG Tone music sounded amazing (almost CD-like) and I know that the iPhone does not support this technology. So my questions are:

• Besides the Bluebuds X (which are out of my budget), what is the best possible wireless solution for in ear monitors available for an iPhone?
  • If I were to get a wired solution, which is the better option for my budget in terms of quality vs price?
  • My budget is $100, which can be stretched to $125 if needed.
  • I have a pair of Shure SE215 which I used to use with a bluetooth 3.5mm adapter but I cant seem to find a decent one of those anymore (Sony has the SBH52 but apparently if does not work well with iPhones. Is there a bluetooth dongle that works with the iPhone and is decent enough?

Tommy DJ

Code is SD12212014.

Good thing you didn't get the HD700. They are awful headphones and could probably cause hearing loss considering they have the same FR as a lot of Grado headphones. Stick with the HD600 / HD650 / HD800.

Servbot24

Banned
thanks y'all

I currently have HD595s which are several years old so I've been thinking of upgrading. Do you think the 600s or a DAC would be a better investment? I'm currently plugged into an Apogee One (has an amp but not really its main purpose) .

LCfiner

thanks y'all

I currently have HD595s which are several years old so I've been thinking of upgrading. Do you think the 600s or a DAC would be a better investment? I'm currently plugged into an Apogee One (has an amp but not really its main purpose) .

The HD600.

my experience has always been that headphones provide the biggest immediate upgrade. And the Apogee seems like a fine DAC.

if anything, you may need a headphone amp with more voltage swing for the HD600. consider a Schiit Vali down the line.

Servbot24

Banned
Oops I actually have 555s. Forgot as I bought some people 595s for Christmas.

600s seem good enough that they could be a final headphone purchase so I think I'll spring for them.

Oops I actually have 555s. Forgot as I bought some people 595s for Christmas.

600s seem good enough that they could be a final headphone purchase so I think I'll spring for them.
Never say "final". You will love the 600s then somewhere along the line you will try a set of HD800s with an amp and you will crave that sound... ;) it never stops dude.

TedNindo

So I didn't see this thread. I bought a customised mmx300 headset. Did I do good?

They sound pretty amazing. Only drawback is that I NEED everything in flac now.

I'm appriciating good production so much more though.

edit: Sorry if it sounded uninformed. But I didn`t realized the difference decent headphones made. All of my music sounds different and far more detailed now. I`ve been actively listening to more music in the last few weeks than I`ve done in a few of the previous years combined.

Servbot24

Banned
Never say "final". You will love the 600s then somewhere along the line you will try a set of HD800s with an amp and you will crave that sound... ;) it never stops dude.
I like to think I have my limits... But I know I don't. :p

Still I think I'll wait several years before going for 1k+ cans, by then there may be a new model or something.

I purchased the FiiO E10k for listening to Itunes from my PC and now I'm getting a brief subtle crackling/popping sound in my right headphone speaker on my ATH-M50. It seems to only happen when sound a song or sound effect starts. It's particularly annoying when I'm playing a game with no background music and I get the popping every time a sound effect kicks in.

I originally thought that the speaker is just worn but when I switch to the PC speaker jack the problem goes away. It's by no mean a deal breaker for the device as the songs sound noticeably better, but it would be nice to fix if possible.

Guys, I asked about a month ago about Dac/Amp recommendations with a small-ish footprint. In looking at the Schiit website, what do you all think about stacking a couple of their components together?

Would something like a Loki DAC + Valhalla 2/Lyr 2 Amp be better for my cans than previous recommendations? Footprint is still important to me, but stacking is no problem at all. Cans:

Denon D7000
Senn HD 650
Fidelio X1
Hi-Fi Man HE5-LE
UE TripleFi 10vi

HiResDes

I know they'll stack better physically, but I don't even see the point of going further than the Modi DAC, which to my ears is as clean as can be

I'd be so tempted to sell those D7000, though they're amazing, you could probably get around $1500 for them at this point.

I know they'll stack better physically, but I don't even see the point of going further than the Modi DAC, which to my ears is as clean as can be

I'd be so tempted to sell those D7000, though they're amazing, you could probably get around $1500 for them at this point.

wtf why would they cost that much?

also, Schiit Modi + Valhalla 2 or Vyr 2? would that be enough to drive the 650 and Hi-Fi man planars?

edit:
actually I could just use my Icon HDP as a dedicated DAC and skip buying a DAC for now, I think. Maybe?

They're out of production now. I'm not too in tune with the market value for the D7K, so I'm not sure that you could get $1,500 for them, that seems pretty insane. If that were true, I'd sell em in a heartbeat haha

I actually hadn't used my setup in a while. Just hooked it back up to the computer.

Headroom micro dac
Headroom micro amp
Denon D2000

I'm using FLAC in Foobar2k with the WASAPI plugin on Win8, then usb to the dac, etc.

It actually didn't impress me that much... I swear it used to sound better. Could I have a setup issue? For FLAC it just didn't sound as clear as I expected it to. I remember I felt like I could make out the individual instruments when I would listen to music.... but maybe I'm thinking of my old Grado 80s. I've only tested it with a few albums at the moment.

It just occured to me I can use either USB or optical out from my computer. Does it matter? Any other thoughts about my setup? Thanks.

T-Matt

I spent too much time reading reviews on head-fi but I finally made the decision of buying the philips x1 and the vmoda m-80s instead of the x2. Amazon had a great price on both and was 60$ less than the X2s. Feels good to just pull the trigger and close all the tabs.

They're out of production now. I'm not too in tune with the market value for the D7K, so I'm not sure that you could get $1,500 for them, that seems pretty insane. If that were true, I'd sell em in a heartbeat haha

But I like them so much. :(

what would be an upgrade from them if I sold them for a decent price?

I spent too much time reading reviews on head-fi but I finally made the decision of buying the philips x1 and the vmoda m-80s instead of the x2. Amazon had a great price on both and was 60$ less than the X2s. Feels good to just pull the trigger and close all the tabs.

Grats! I love my X1's.

Grats! I love my X1's.

Not sure to be honest. I'm not really into bass heavy phones. I think one of the more well regarded U shaped phones is the TH900. Maybe you can explore other signatures?

Just got word from a friend that he feels the ASG 1Plus is like a Rocket on steroids. He seems to prefer it to his LAB I and FitEar Parterre which is just insane. It seems springtree will sell them for $396. I sent them an email. For the price, I need to verify this. Would be the steal of for fuckin ever if true as I prefer the LAB I to every other phone I've ever heard ever

Tommy DJ

wtf why would they cost that much?

also, Schiit Modi + Valhalla 2 or Vyr 2? would that be enough to drive the 650 and Hi-Fi man planars?

edit:
actually I could just use my Icon HDP as a dedicated DAC and skip buying a DAC for now, I think. Maybe?

People overestimate how much it takes to drive headphones. They aren't loudspeakers, they're tiny little things sitting right next to your ears. The Schiit Modi 2 + Valhalla 2 is enough to power any dynamic or planar headphone in the world and make it sound good.

You can use the Icon HDP as a dedicated DAC, as it has analogue outputs, but the Schiit Modi 2 Uber is only ~$150. It really can't hurt to give it a try, especially if you're getting the Valhalla 2 from them as you'll probably save on shipping costs.

People overestimate how much it takes to drive headphones. They aren't loudspeakers, they're tiny little things sitting right next to your ears. The Schiit Modi 2 + Valhalla 2 is enough to power any dynamic or planar headphone in the world and make it sound good.

You can use the Icon HDP as a dedicated DAC, as it has analogue outputs, but the Schiit Modi 2 Uber is only ~$150.

roger that. I'll go with the Valhalla 2. FWIW, the reason I was concerned about power is because I have to turn my Icon HDP to 4pm (max is 5pm) on the nob to get it to the listening volume I want it on several of my headphones. The D7000s require much less (around 1pm on the dial), but I've worried that I wasn't getting the kind of performance out of it because the HDP seemed to need to be turned up so much to drive them.

Anyway, Is there a reason to buy something like the Modi 2 Uber for the dedicated DAC needs as opposed to just using the Icon HDP? That is, is there a reason I should expect it to produce better sound? If not, that's $150 saved for me.

Tommy DJ

Who knows. I was only suggesting the Schiit Modi 2 Uber because its so cheap (relative I guess), has all of the inputs of the Nuforce, and you can probably sell the Nuforce for a decent amount.

Looking at the Nuforce's internals, it its clear that it's a weak headphone amplifier.

Who knows. I was only suggesting the Schiit Modi 2 Uber because its so cheap (relative I guess), has all of the inputs of the Nuforce, and you can probably sell the Nuforce for a decent amount.

Looking at the Nuforce's internals, it its clear that it's a weak headphone amplifier.

oooh ok. ty sir!

If you like them then dont sell them! Otherwise - you could get the HD800s when they go on sale (i got mine for $999) or kick in a few bucks and upgrade to the Audeze LCD3 which go on sale for $1,750 on buysonic's website. Both these sound pretty good.

I want this so bad:

simaudio-moon-neo-430ha.jpg

moon 430HA Amplifier

FoxSpirit

YEP!...I'm never spending over $500 for an amp...Unless my dream one goes on sale or something.
It's just a matter of budget. Sure, on my salary I'd never spend 500 on a headamp... not when I have to plan for about 1-2k more for my stereo amplification. But if I had all my stereo stuff done and 40k idling at the bank? Yeah, okay, let's do it.
The problem of this hobby is too many people with "let's do it" budget :-\

And Michael, have you even listened to the moon amp? How can you say it beats the Oppo? If anything, I trust Oppo. Moon Audio is snake oil par excellence and I am sure their amp will pull every effing psychoacoustic trick to beat out a honest amp.
Seriously, 4k for a headamp. You can get reference level speaker amps in Class AB or top-level Class D for that. And those will drive 2x200W + into 4 Ohms with impeccable precision, detail and smoothness.

Seriously, I let the even-order THD rise a bit, give the right amounts of phase shift and group delay to the respective frequency bands and I get a more spacial sound that still sounds with substance. If I don't give a bit even-order THD it may sound a bit thin, if I don't spacialice the minimal THD rise would sound a touch warm. So I will balance the two effects out to make an amp that literally is an analogue DSP on top, never telling you.
This is how companies like Moon Audio operate.

Waikis

Got my shipping notice for blue hawaii SE after waiting for 2 years XD.

This is gonna be it for me, 12 years of head fi journey.

It's just a matter of budget. Sure, on my salary I'd never spend 500 on a headamp... not when I have to plan for about 1-2k more for my stereo amplification. But if I had all my stereo stuff done and 40k idling at the bank? Yeah, okay, let's do it.
The problem of this hobby is too many people with "let's do it" budget :-

And Michael, have you even listened to the moon amp? How can you say it beats the Oppo? If anything, I trust Oppo. Moon Audio is snake oil par excellence and I am sure their amp will pull every effing psychoacoustic trick to beat out a honest amp.
Seriously, 4k for a headamp. You can get reference level speaker amps in Class AB or top-level Class D for that. And those will drive 2x200W + into 4 Ohms with impeccable precision, detail and smoothness.

Seriously, I let the even-order THD rise a bit, give the right amounts of phase shift and group delay to the respective frequency bands and I get a more spacial sound that still sounds with substance. If I don't give a bit even-order THD it may sound a bit thin, if I don't spacialice the minimal THD rise would sound a touch warm. So I will balance the two effects out to make an amp that literally is an analogue DSP on top, never telling you.
This is how companies like Moon Audio operate.
I like to hear new things. Was mainly following the audiophiliac's reviews on other amps.

I'm not going to buy one. The oppo is fine for now.

Steve Gutty? That guy likes fuckin everything lol

On a semi related note (let's do it), I'm kinda amazed (not really) that JH is putting out $2,500 customs LOL. Used to be just yesterday that a flagship IEM cost about $300. Would that now make the JH13FP "low end?" Can't wait for this to catch on with other companies :l

Steve Gutty? That guy likes fuckin everything lol

On a semi related note (let's do it), I'm kinda amazed (not really) that JH is putting out $2,500 customs LOL. Used to be just yesterday that a flagship IEM cost about $300. Would that now make the JH13FP "low end?" Can't wait for this to catch on with other companies :l
He's a good bloke and responds to his Twitter feed instantly! His reviews crop up everywhere.

Tommy DJ

Reminder: Steve Guttenberg refuses to do ABX testing. The guy is basically an industry mouth piece only that he actually believes what the companies tell him.

Universal flagships seem to be getting cheaper though

Really? Out of all the ones I've seen of late, they've all introduced pricier models or stayed at the kilobuck mark or higher. Westone (W60 vs W4), Shure (SE846 vs SE535), JH (Layla vs Roxanne), Earsonics (Velvet vs SM64), Sennheiser (IE800 vs IE80), Sony (Z5 vs Ex1000/H3), Aurisonics (ASG2.5 vs ASG-1), Ocharaku (KAEDE and KAEDE Type II), Tralucent (REF1 vs 1plus2), FitEar (334 and FitEar FitEar roughly same price), Final Audio (LAB I vs FIBASS), etc. Maybe amongst Chinese manufacturers they're cheaper?

Reminder: Steve Guttenberg refuses to do ABX testing. The guy is basically an industry mouth piece only that he actually believes what the companies tell him.

There was an interview with Tyll and Steve over at inner fidelity. It was about objectivism vs subjectivism. I couldn't believe that was a thing lol

Top Bottom