• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5G Gaming. Gaming online with 5G.

buenoblue

So after some life changes I needed to cut some costs. I was paying over a £79 a month for my 600mb internet and £25 for unlimited 4g sim plan.

I've tried using my 4g data ( I get about 18mb down) to hotspot to my stuff and yeah streaming was hit and miss and online gaming was a no go!

So I upgraded to a 5g phone (Poco x4 pro 5g) and signed up to Threes unlimited 5g data plan for £24 a month (£12 a month for first 6 months)..... And it's legit amazing!!!!

I have 450mb down!!!! I pretty much thought I'd have to give up online gaming but I've managed to keep at champ 2 in rocket league and fifa actually feels snappier online!!!

I wirelessly hotspot 5ghz to ps5 and get 259mb download speed.

So yeah if you have a good 5g signal it's a legit replacement for home broadband now

nowhat

So yeah if you have a good 5g signal it's a legit replacement for home broadband now
Replacement for home broadband for sure, but for online gaming latency can still be an issue. While I'm able to get faster download speeds on my 5G phone compared to my cable broadband (no fiber available in my apartment sadly), the pings are worse (~25ms vs. ~10ms). And that is to the nearest server used by speedtest.net, so an ideal case. Whether that's an issue depends on the games you play online.

buenoblue

Haven't noticed the phone getting hot to be honest but I'll look out for it.

Yeah my ping is higher but seems more consistent so you adapt to it pretty quick. I don't play first person shooters though so may be more noticable on cod or something. But compared to 4g it's night and day.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I get near 1Gbps on my 5G (I live in Australia) but latency is killer for comp FPS compared to 4ms latency on most games with my hardline fibre connection (also 1Gbps)

FIFA & Rocket league type online games, streaming single player games (xcloud) 5G is absolutely already overkill for 90% of gaming needs, and is a massive game changer those that don’t have or use don’t realise yet.

I don’t but know plenty of people who already play CoD this way online regardless of the latency. Lot easier to just use your own phone in a share rental.

I wish it was available instead of Starlink at a rural beach holiday home I have, which seems to cap out at 140mbps. But Australia is a vast country the size of Europe so getting 5G to every inch of it will take awhile even if we where one of the first to roll it out.

Once 6G evolves and rolls out at the end of this generation and latency issues cease I see a future where physical hardlines are no longer rolled out.

Why upgrade cabling underground to 1,000 homes when we can just upgrade the nearest tower instead every generational speed jump?

Dr.D00p

So after some life changes I needed to cut some costs. I was paying over a £79 a month for my 600mb internet and £25 for unlimited 4g sim plan.

I've tried using my 4g data ( I get about 18mb down) to hotspot to my stuff and yeah streaming was hit and miss and online gaming was a no go!

So I upgraded to a 5g phone (Poco x4 pro 5g) and signed up to Threes unlimited 5g data plan for £24 a month (£12 a month for first 6 months)..... And it's legit amazing!!!!

I have 450mb down!!!! I pretty much thought I'd have to give up online gaming but I've managed to keep at champ 2 in rocket league and fifa actually feels snappier online!!!

I wirelessly hotspot 5ghz to ps5 and get 259mb download speed.

Same here, though my plan only costs me £21 pm for unlimited data, minutes, texts with Three.

I get very similar speeds on the down side, but they, like all 5G providers, they tend to still use the 4G band for uploads, so at best 15-20Mbit is all you'll get and whilst I don't do online gaming anymore, I did try it a few times out of curiosity, found it to be as stable as a hard line connection, but Ping times were in the 40-50ms compared to the 20-25ms you can get on a good fibre connection, depending on server locations of course, it might be better with Playstation & Xbox online, I don't know, don't have either of them.

I'm lucky that I also have a full 1Gbit up/down Fibre connection available at my address if I want it, but have found the 5G connection to be more than adequate for my needs, so not bothering.

DR3AM

I tired the T-Mobile 5G Home Internet service. It did not perform well. The upload speeds are just too slow. Playing FPS and Fighting games was a struggle. The good part about 5G are the download speeds, I was getting 400+, my gmaes would download in minutes compared to my ISP.

Desless1

The beauty of 5G is the 1ms latency. However, today there is still a lot of old equipment in the pipeline making sure that we still get high latency.

Over the next year's this will improve a lot. There is a reason why 5G with a potential 10gbps speed and low latency is a dream come trough for many use cases, military, gaming and business in the years to come.

My 1gbps fibre connection is still just at 8-9ms at most, and will be better with newer equipment too. Was 10-12ms 7 years back when I got the connection up and running.

poodaddy

I use 5 G for my home internet purposes and it works just fine. That being said, I'm getting nowhere near the speeds you are here in Maine. I average probably around 80 down and 10 to 15 up, but it's pretty variable. There have been days where it gets up to 250 and down to 15. To be honest that's my biggest complaint about it. I love 5G, but it's really inconsistent in my experience. I do think it's getting better all the time though. My connection seems much more consistent than it did just 6 months ago, so clearly something is improving.

Last edited:

buenoblue

Yeah I agree it's not ideal but it is usable so far. My ping has gone from sub 20ms to like 40-50 in rocket league but it seems totally fine. But in the month I've bin using it I have seen a coue of drops but I use that as a sign to go do something in real life lol

Top Bottom