• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

60 GB PS3 w/Backwards compatibility: Too risky?

I noticed on eBay there are a few dealers offering factory refurbished 60GB PS3s with hardware backwards compatibility for PS1 & PS2 running at apprx $150 each. What are the pros and cons and how well does the BC work? I've always heard the 60GB units are risky and susceptible to the YLOD, but OTOH I have a friend who has a 60GB launch unit which still runs fine to this day and I thought since these are factory refurbished they might be a somewhat safe bet. I also like that the 60GB units have memory stick input which would make transferring stuff to my PSP even easier

So should I go for a 60GB unit or just get a later model and not be drawn in by the shiny BC lure? This would be my first time owning a PS3, up until now so borrowed from a friend but I purchased a lot of stuff on PSN during that time. I was Wii360 last gen, probably going to be WiiU/NX/PS4 this round. It's too bad I can't just transfer most of my stuff to PS4.

Magwik

Banned
$150 seems kind of low considering last time I checked they where higher in prices. Also I wouldn't trust a factory refurbished unit anyways, all that tells me is that the hardware may he failed already previously. Some people are lucky their systems are still working, but you are much safer grabbing a PS2 and a Slim PS3 instead of the 60GB unit with BC.

Human_me

I've got a 60gb launch model (with B/C) it still works today.
But personally I wouldn't spend money on it today.

If you want to play PS2 games either get a PS2 for dirt cheap or hope they emulate it on the PS4.

Tain

I wouldn't consider the PS3's backwards compatibility (both via hardware or the digital games on PSN) to be worthwhile. Unless you really do not care about the responsiveness and IQ of your games, I guess.

Grab a PS2 and a CRT for real cheap. It's worth the hassle.

Dereck

The only ones worth considering are the refurbished BC PS3s that were selling on Newegg awhile back. By nature, the BC PS3 is unreliable unless it's brand new.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The friend I'm staying with at the moment has a launch-day 60GB PS3 and it works like a charm. Kind of blows me away. Xenogears looks phenom on it.

I have one as well, it works but the disc drive inside busted so take that into consideration. It is supposedly fixable and simply but still replaced it with a slim. In general though the BC on ps3's at the start worked just fine for me. Only a handful of games had issues most were extremely minor things like a small visual bug or sound weirdness. Most of the commonly loved games worked more than fine from what I remember.

If you are getting one for ps3 games primarily definitely go newer model.

Awntawn

I've got a 60gb launch model (with B/C) it still works today.

Same, flawless. I'm not exactly super hardcore, but I've put a good number of miles on it. Maybe a little loud, but it always was TBH.

Hardware BC is great, I don't think there should be any BC problems. There's essentially a PS2 inside it.

Epcott

YLOD will get you. Hell, now that you've mentioned your friend's 60, his might go any day now ;)

But seriously, factory turn around after it goes up is slow, and when they repair and send it back, it too may be defective (happened to me twice). Just save yourself the trouble.

Xanos

Neo Member
I'd say a "refurbished" launch PS3 is definitely risky and I'd pass on it simply because who knows what type of issues it's had. On the other hand, a good condition used unit isn't risky but ONLY if you are somewhat tech savvy. If you can find a launch PS3 that never had the YLOD and is in decent condition, a few preventative maintenance measures can be taken to prevent such a thing from ever happening.

If you aren't tech savvy though and have no experience dissembling electronics, then a PS3 slim/super slim + PS2 slim would be your best bet.

Mine died from YLOD so I wouldn't risk if I was you. The soldering ot whatever was apparently shit and cheap for the first version of the PS3, kinda like what happened with the 360 and it's red ring but not nearly as quickly. Buying one now seems like not a good idea.

Volotaire

Despite the design, I would grab a Super Slim PS3 if you're going for a used PS3 system. There is longer term guaranteed reliability (the SS was introduced later) and a smaller chance of the disc loader breaking.

I have a PS2 but it's an import unit (I play a lot of shmups), my only U.S. Sony systems are my trusty PSP and PS1. Guess I'll just have to get a U.S. PS2 slim and a later model PS3, thanks for all the input so far.

The only ones worth considering are the refurbished BC PS3s that were selling on Newegg awhile back. By nature, the BC PS3 is unreliable unless it's brand new.

One of the eBay auctions is hosted by Newegg FWIW.

Patrick S.

Banned
I have a launch 60gb that still works fine (of course, now that I said that it'll probably explode tomorrow).

But even PS1 compatibility on the PS3 isn't perfect; from my PS1 games alone, Wing Commander 3 and Final Fantasy VIII don't work.
Actually, my first edition of FF8 doesn't work but my Platinum version does work.

Sacul64GC

Banned
I work at gs and always try to tell people these are to risky any more. It's more then ylod, mine had stoped ejecting disks and I took care of mine. That model has no manual eject either. I see those break as often as the original 360 these days. You can likely get a slim and a ps2 for a little but more.

PSOreo

Xenogears plays on all PS3s.

All PS3's are BC.

How is it 2015 and people still don't know this?

Only the launch 60gbs were backward compatible with PS2/1. The slim and super slim do not have the emulator built into them to play them via disc.
How do you not know that?

Elitist1945

Despite the design, I would grab a Super Slim PS3 if you're going for a used PS3 system. There is longer term guaranteed reliability (the SS was introduced later) and a smaller chance of the disc loader breaking.

This. I have a 60GB PS3, a slim, and a super slim. Go with the slim (the design and top loader will grow on you).

nampad

All old PS3 models will YLOD just like all old 360 models will RROD*. The leadless solder which was used back in those days wasn't made to last and it gets brittle with many heating and cooling cycles.

The old PS3 models had a much better build quality compared to the old 360 models though, which is why the YLOD problem never got so much attention.

If you want your PS3 to last, don't go for it.

*Of course there are some exceptions.

No point in buying it - invest in a slim PS3 and a separate PS2 or just so PS2 emulation on your computer.

This is coming from someone who owned a 60GB model which got YLOD in 2013 (right before EVO 2013 which sucked).

from what i understand, all ps3's, regardless of version type are able to play PS1 games. The issue of comparability or not deals with PS2 games.

dcx4610

It's a design flaw. You can revive broken ones but they will fail again. Go PS3 Slim.

Is there something you just have to play on the PS2 at this point? If no, just let it go.

finalflame

Gold Member
Too risky IMO, OP. I'd go with a PS3 Slim (the king of all PS3s in term of build quality/reliability), and separately get a PS2 with some sweet wireless Logitech controllers.

Vashetti

Banned
*sad trumpet sound*

I guess Sony are wrong too huh?
Yes to PS1 discs but not to PS2.
https://support.us.playstation.com/...ne-and-PlayStation-2-Games-on-a-PlayStation-3

Sony sell PS2 classics on the store that work on all PS3s.

If your PS3 has custom firmware, you can play any PS2 game, regardless of which PS3 you have. Sony kept improving the emulator through firmware for years, and they only lock people out from playing any game to sell the games on the store.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Those things weigh a ton and any shipping will likely do a number on it

Patrick S.

Banned
Sony sell PS2 classics on the store that work on all PS3s.

If your PS3 has custom firmware, you can play any PS2 game, regardless of which PS3 you have. Sony kept improving the emulator through firmware for years, and they only lock people out from playing any game to sell the games on the store.

Are you saying a hacked slim PS3 can play PS2 games? If so, that is very very tempting...

Top Bottom