• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

79 movie theaters in 34 States will screen 1984 on April 4th to protest Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewt

via Rolling Stone

image293.jpg

The event was organized by the United States of Cinema and will include nearly 90 theaters in 79 cities in 34 states (plus one in Toronto). Radford's adaptation was released, fittingly, in 1984, and stars John Hurt as Winston Smith, a man who begins detailing life under an oppressive regime in an illegal diary. The April 4th event date is a nod to the date Smith begins his journal.

"Orwell's portrait of a government that manufactures their own facts, demands total obedience and demonizes foreign enemies has never been timelier," the United States of Cinema said in a statement. "The endeavor encourages theaters to take a stand for our most basic values: freedom of speech, respect for our fellow human beings, and the simple truth that there are no such things as 'alternative facts.'"

I should also mention this bit from the United States of Cinema site:

Participating theaters that charge admission will be donating a portion of the proceeds to local charities and organizations, or using the proceeds for the purposes of underwriting future educational and community-related programming

If you're interested in going, here's the theater list:

ALASKA

Gold Town Theater / Juneau

ALABAMA

Capri Theatre / Montgomery

ARIZONA

Alamo Drafthouse Chandler / Chandler

Loft Cinema / Tucson

CALIFORNIA

Balboa Theater / San Francisco

The Cinefamily / Los Angeles

El Rey Theater Alliance / Chico

The Frida Cinema / Santa Ana

Lark Theater / Larkspur

Palm Cinema / San Luis Obispo

The State Theatre / Modesto

UCLA Film & Television Archive and the Hammer Museum / Los Angeles

Yerba Buena Center for the Arts / San Francisco

COLORADO

International Film Series / Boulder

CONNECTICUT

Avon Theatre Film Center / Stamford

Madison Art Cinemas / Madison

Yale Film Colloquium / New Haven

FLORIDA

All Saints Cinema / Tallahassee

Coral Gables Art Cinema / Coral Gables

Movies of Lake Worth / Lake Worth

O Cinema Wynwood / Miami

Stonzek Theatre of the Lake Worth Playhouse / Lake Worth

Sun-Ray Cinema / Jacksonville

GEORGIA

Cine / Athens

HAWAII

Doris Duke Theatre / Honolulu Museum of Art / Honolulu

IOWA

FilmScene / Iowa City

ILLINOIS

Wilmette Theatre / Wilmette

INDIANA

Art Theatre / Hobart

Cicada Cinema / Bloomington

Cinema Center / Ft. Wayne

MASSACHUSETTS

Beacon Cinema / Pittsfield

Images Cinema / Williamstown

Triplex Cinema / Great Barrington

MARYLAND

Old Greenbelt Theatre / Greenbelt

MAINE

Railroad Square Cinema / Waterville

MICHIGAN

Cinema Detroit / Detroit

Vickers Theatre / Three Oaks

MINNESOTA

Film Society of Minneapolis St. Paul's St. Anthony Main Theatre / Minneapolis

MISSOURI

Alamo Drafthouse Mainstreet / Kansas City

Cinema St. Louis (in partnership with the St. Louis Public Library) / St. Louis

MONTANA

Art House Cinema & Pub / Billings

NORTH CAROLINA

Fine Arts Theatre / Asheville

Rialto Theater / Raleigh

NEBRASKA

NEW HAMPSHIRE

Putnam Screening Room / Keene

NEW MEXICO

Guild Cinema / Albuquerque

NEW YORK

Alamo Drafthouse Downtown Brooklyn / Brooklyn

Anthology Film Archives / New York

Cinema Arts Centre / Huntington

Cinemapolis / Ithaca

Cornell Cinema* / Ithaca

Film Society of Lincoln Center / New York

GE Theatre at Proctors / Schenectady

IFC Center / New York

Jacob Burns Film Center / Pleasantville

The Little Theatre / Rochester

Nitehawk Cinema / Brooklyn

Picture House Regional Film Center / Pelham

The Moviehouse / Millerton

Upstate Films / Rheinbeck

Tang Teaching Museum and Art Gallery
at Skidmore College / Saratoga Springs

OHIO

Athena Cinema / Athens

Little Art Theater / Yellow Springs

OKLAHOMA

Circle Cinema / Tulsa

OREGON

Bijou Art Cinemas / Eugene

Cinema 21 Theatre / Portland

City Lights Cinemas / Florence

The Clinton Street Theater* / Portland

PENNSYLVANIA

The Colonial Theatre / Phoenixville

Hollywood Theater / Pittsburgh

Midtown Cinema / Harrisburg

Pittsburgh Filmmakers / Pittsburgh

Row House Cinema / Pittsburgh

SMALL STAR Art House / York

RHODE ISLAND

Cable Car Cinema / Providence

Jane Pickens Theater & Event Center / Newport

SOUTH CAROLINA

The Nickelodeon Theatre / Columbia

SOUTH DAKOTA

Cinema Falls / Sioux Falls

TEXAS

Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - Mason Park / Katy

Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - Montecillo / El Paso

Alamo Drafthouse Ritz / Austin

Texas Theatre / Dallas

UTAH

Park City Film Series / Park City

Salt Lake Film Society - Tower Theater / Salt Lake City

VIRGINIA

The Byrd Theatre / Richmond

WASHINGTON

The Grand Cinema / Tacoma

Pickford Film Center / Bellingham

Seattle International Film Festival / Seattle

CANADA

The Royal / Toronto, ON

Heh, good going on that one theater in Toronto, too!

rec0ded1

Alt right probably sees this movie as backing up their way of thinking a la "from my point of view the jedi are evil!"

Seems a bit lame.

Oh no, we've elected Neo-Hitler! Let's do a coordinated screening of 1984, that'll show him.

Like Trump cares about that.

Hex

Banned
Free screenings?
Proceeds going to charity?
Yeah, this is what is called a cash in.
Good to bring awareness though.
People need to buy a book.

Viewt

Free screenings?
Proceeds going to charity?
Yeah, this is what is called a cash in.
Good to bring awareness though.
People need to buy a book.

Some are the former and others are the latter (well, a PORTION will go to charity - I'm guessing that's ultimately up the theater on how much). :) Just added that the OP, as well, to make it more clear.

Oh sweet, there's one in Fort Wayne!

Think I'll go, timing permitting.

Seems a bit lame.

Oh no, we've elected Neo-Hitler! Let's do a coordinated screening of 1984, that'll show him.

He might, he might not. He's got a pretty fragile ego. That's not the point though, it's about reminding people of the stakes and the implications of Trump's actions. It's about rallying support.

Hex

Banned
Some are the former and others are the latter (well, a PORTION will go to charity - I'm guessing that's ultimately up the theater on how much). :) Just added that the OP, as well, to make it more clear.

Very cool

Shoeless

Seems a bit lame.

It's probably less important to punch Trump in the nose and have him notice than it is for people to have a greater awareness of just what a Totalitarian state entails. I reread 1984 last year during the summer, in the months leading up to the election, and it's actually quite prescient in its use of fear of the outsider and, in particular "doublethink" as a way of having people hold two contradictory ideas without having any issues.I think the more people are aware of this story, the easier it will be to see the warning signs in real life.

Seems a bit lame.

rallys in general are a good thing. keeping people's minds on issues such as attempts to control the flow of information is important. weekly million-person protests are unsustainable in nearly all circumstances.

rallys in general are a good thing. keeping people's minds on issues such as attempts to control the flow of information is important. weekly million-person protests are unsustainable in nearly all circumstances.

I think calling this a rally is a stretch. It's going to the movies. But I'll butt out now and let you all get on with it. Better than nothing.

ColdPizza

Banned
It's probably less important to punch Trump in the nose and have him notice than it is for people to have a greater awareness of just what a Totalitarian state entails. I reread 1984 last year during the summer, in the months leading up to the election, and it's actually quite prescient in its use of fear of the outsider and, in particular "doublethink" as a way of having people hold two contradictory ideas without having any issues.I think the more people are aware of this story, the easier it will be to see the warning signs in real life.

I'll probably catch some flack for this, but I feel 1984 is what you get when you get the worst policies of the extreme left and the extreme right combined. Thought-policing can just as easily be a tool of the left as it is the right.

FZZ

Banned
I think Brave New World fits the current situation better. But 1984 is probably better known.

Brave New World?

Really, why?

^never agreed with the image above

Brave New World also focuses on the separation from "savagery" uses themes of religion on how that created conflict within John

plus class is a huge aspect of the novel

MUnited83

For you.
Seems a bit lame.

You sure?
We talking about the same Donald Trump here?
The same Donald Trump that got called "small hands" 30 years ago and has continuously sent letters to the reporter who said that over the years with photos where he circles on how big his hands look?
That Donald Trump?

You sure?
We talking about the same Donald Trump here?
The same Donald Trump that got called "small hands" 30 years ago and has continuously sent letters to the reporter who said that over the years with photos where he circles on how big his hands look?
That Donald Trump?

Yeah that Donald Trump. He doesn't care if a bunch of nerds go and watch some old movie. He's not going to think to himself - oh 1984, they think I'm a brutal totalitarian dictator, I will weep now - you'd be better off making fun of his penis size or his comb over. I don't think this will push his buttons at all.

mieumieu

I keep saying this. 1984 isn't really... Anywhere close to where we are, especially compared to Brave New World.

I agree. Brave New World has this mass consumption and hedonism that just fit the current world better.

For 1984, you can look for North Korea for a better comparison. I would say the best comparison even cos no other communist countries come close to that.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
When is everyone getting together to play Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty? People bring up 1984 and Brave New World but I found that fucking videogame was almost terrifyingly accurate in a lot of its predictions about the world, the internet and using information to blind, placate and control us.

Dommo

I keep saying this. 1984 isn't really... Anywhere close to where we are, especially compared to Brave New World.

1984 is relevant not because it currently fits our world appropriately, but because it's where we'll end up if we're not careful. For western countries, it's less a reflection and more a warning. And the use of phrases like 'alternative facts' and 'the president's executive powers will not be questioned' are chilling for anyone who's read the book.

I'll say that the form of containment echoed in Brave New World is a seemingly viable route a government could take to reaching the power echoed in 1984. A climate of distraction and passivity is ripe for governments to slowly edge their way into more power without the larger population really caring or noticing it happen (both sides!). Once governments acquire enough power, they can then start implementing the oppression found in 1984 without question.

Obviously that's a long way off, and Brave New World seems more immediately relatable, but that doesn't mean 1984 isn't relevant and isn't worth keeping our sights on. The current US government is literally in the process of discrediting and trying to sway the fundamental checks and balances of the country.

messiaen

1984 is relevant not because it currently fits our world appropriately, but because it's where we'll end up if we're not careful. For western countries, it's less a reflection and more a warning. And the use of phrases like 'alternative facts' and 'the president's executive powers will not be questioned' are chilling for anyone who's read the book.

I'll say that the form of containment echoed in Brave New World is a seemingly viable route a government could take to reaching the power echoed in 1984. A climate of distraction and passivity is ripe for governments to slowly edge their way into more power without the larger population really caring or noticing it happen (both sides!). Once governments acquire enough power, they can then start implementing the oppression found in 1984 without question.

Obviously that's a long way off, and Brave New World seems more immediately relatable, but that doesn't mean 1984 isn't relevant and isn't worth keeping our sights on. The current US government is literally in the process of discrediting and trying to sway the fundamental checks and balances of the country.
1984 is a great book and it brought about some really interesting talking points. But the two books are totally different--1984 warns of an external oppression, whereas Brave New World people love their oppression; Big Brother is not needed to strip them of their history, autonomy or maturity. In 1984 we see a top-bottom structure of control that leads to society's demise, while in Brave New World it's a bottom-top structure.

I share your sentiment that 1984 is a warning, but Brave New World is literally, "this is what is happening right now." Brave New World almost serves a different purpose now, because it's not even a warning anymore, it's more like...we need to course-correct ourselves otherwise this book becomes a prophecy and we're fucked.

Orwell and Huxley feared totally different things; Orwell feared books would be banned, Huxley, there would be no reason to ban a book as nobody would care enough to read them. Orwell was scared of information deprivation, Huxley that information would be so readily available that we would be reduced to passivism and egoism. Orwell thought that the truth would be taken from us, while Huxley thought nobody would care about the truth as there was a sea of truths. Orwell--a captive culture; Huxley--a trivial culture. I believe it was Huxley himself who said: 1984 believes that what we hate will ruin us, while Brave New World believes that what we love with ruin us.

Well, that's the thing we have to keep faith in, that the Founding Father's democratic design will keep the President in check.

Edit: I guess where our disagreement may be is that it seems like the general consensus is more scared of a 1984 future than a Brave New World future; while I think both are equally as scary and due to the relevance of Brave New World to our current culture, I think it's even scarier. In other words, a 1984 future won't ruin us anymore or less than a Brave New World future, we don't need to fear a Brave New World transitioning to 1984, we need to fear and prevent both futures equally.

I agree. Brave New World has this mass consumption and hedonism that just fit the current world better.

For 1984, you can look for North Korea for a better comparison. I would say the best comparison even cos no other communist countries come close to that.
Yeah, while a great book, I think 1984 is simply more popular because of its more direct approach to a dark-future. Brave New World takes the totally opposite approach and because of that, doesn't pander to our primal nature of being fearful and anxious.

HotHamBoy

I think there are elements of both books reflected in the Western world right now. It's definitely not an either/or situation. The internet fascinates me because it serves as a placating distraction and as a mass intelligence/data network. It is an echo chamber, hive mind and super-organism. It shapes language and memory and history. It catalogues and directs. It informs and confuses.

It's really a beautiful nightmare.

mollipen

WTF Nebraska? Omaha has indie theaters, and if not that then somewhere in Lincoln should be willing to participate.

Kenai

Nearest one to me is about 2 hours away, and that's just to get to the city it's in.

Beautiful idea but won't be able to make it. Freaking Indiana.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom