• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Donnie Darko' Returns to US-Theaters in 4K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

download-11.jpg

Fans of the sleeper hit Donnie Darko will be able to catch the film on the big screen. The Richard Kelly-directed movie turns 15 and to celebrate, the cult classic will be shown in all of its glory in 4K resolution. Starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Donnie Darko made its debut back in October of 2001, but received very little marketing because it features a crashing plane — a sensitive inclusion due to its post-9/11 release. It wasn’t until the film hit DVD that its sci-fi storyline made waves with angsty teens and “Frank the Bunny” costumes started popping up everywhere.

List of Theatres and dates

Amherst, MA – Amherst Cinema (May 5, one night only)
Anchorage, AK – Bear Tooth Theatrepub (April 13, one night only)
Austin, TX – Alamo Drafthouse Village (March 31 – April 1)
Baton Rouge, LA – Manship Theatre (April 1, one night only)
Columbia, SC – Nickelodeon Theatre (October 31, one night only)
Columbus, OH – Gateway Film Center (Opening March 31)
Dallas, TX – Texas Theatre (March 31 – April 1)
Denver, CO – SIE FilmCenter (March 31, one night only)
Detroit, MI – Cinema Detroit (April 7, one night only)
Durham, NC – Carolina Theatre (April 15 – 17)
El Paso, TX – Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Montecillo (Opening April 7)
Honolulu, HI – Doris Duke Theater (March 31, one night only)
Jacksonville, FL – Sleeping Giant Film Festival (TBD)
Los Angeles, CA – Cinefamily (Opening March 31)
New York, NY – Metrograph (Opening March 31)
Oklahoma City, OK – Oklahoma City Museum of Art (April 14 – 16)
Phoenix, AZ – FilmBar (Opening March 31)
Phoenix, AZ (Tempe) – Harkins Valley Art (Opening March 31)
Pittsburgh, PA – Hollywood Theatre Dormont (Opening March 31)
San Francisco, CA – Roxie Theatre (Opening March 31)
Sioux Falls, SD – Indievents (April 12, one night only)
Stamford, CT – Avon Theatre (April 18, one night only)
Tucson, AZ – Loft Cinema (April 14 – 16)
Winston-Salem, NC – a/perture cinema (April 10 – 13)

More here

https://hypebeast.com/2017/3/donnie-darko-15th-anniversary-rerelease-4k-trailer

Here is the rerelease trailer

https://youtu.be/bKQ2wggG-C4

Lock if old

daveo42

Banned
I actually want to see this again, if only to see if it still holds up as well as it did when I first saw it. The Director's Cut and Southland Tales really sours what was a fantastic movie made by a man who had no clue what he was doing or why anyone liked the film in the first place.

jstripes

Banned
Didn't even know there was a director's cut.

What was bad about it?

I've never seen it, but from what I've been told key songs in the soundtrack have been changed, and the plot "holds your hand" a bit more. Most people I know who have seen it hate it compared to the theatrical cut.

Richard Kelly is one of those directors who needs to be kept under control, as anyone who's seen Southland Tales would know.

bebop242

I've never seen it, but from what I've been told key songs in the soundtrack have been changed, and the plot "holds your hand" a bit more. Most people I know who have seen it hate it compared to the theatrical cut.

Richard Kelly is one of those directors who needs to be kept under control, as anyone who's seen Southland Tales would know.

Yep fuck the directors cut

#teamTheKillingMoon

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

yup, this. I'll never watch the DC again.

jstripes

Banned
Seeing Southland Tales retroactively made me dislike Donnie Darko.

That movie was a complete mess, but its existence is justified by the dreamlike musical sequence in the arcade with Justin Timberlake shambling about to "All The Things That I Have Done" by The Killers.

Oh, and the classic line "I'm a pimp... and pimps don't commit suicide."

my man.

This alone was enough to put me off from it

Seriously. One of my favourite opening sequences of all time.

jstripes

Banned
Ive never seen theatrical. What was the difference?e besides music?c

From what I understand the Director's Cut gives you more clues to the plot.

Honestly, part of what I liked about the movie (theatrical) was watching it a second time and suddenly everything made sense.

jstripes

Banned
I like southland tales a lot. Feels like a fever dream

That's probably the best description of it I've heard.

Then Richard Kelly followed that up with The Box, which started out good, became pretty great, and then went completely off the rails for the third act. I mean, into bonkers, what the hell is going on territory. (I still liked it, though.)

If he ever makes another movie, and I hope he does, someone needs to keep a serious leash on him.

woxel1

I hope it's the theatrical cut! Some of the deleted scenes are interesting on their own but the director's cut as a whole is no bueno.

tomtom94

Great movie. What is Richard Kelly up to now anyway?

I seem to remember him having something in the pipeline on his imdB but it appears to have disappeared.

I reckon either Netflix or Amazon will drop him a couple of million to do a small project at some point.

bremon

I can barely remember this movie, but I remember enjoying it, and we still quote "go home and tell your mom everything's going to be ok" and "someone oughtta write that bitch".

Ridley327

Whatever happened to Richard Kelly? Is he in director's jail or something?

More or less. The Box was supposed to be his big mainstream film and it failed miserably. He had a couple of projects in the works, but they got derailed by various things, including most tragically the death of James Gandolfini. He participated heavily on the recent Blu-ray that Arrow Video just put out in the US and Europe, but that's the most active he's been in years.

jett

D-Member
Seeing Southland Tales retroactively made me dislike Donnie Darko.

Man what happened to this director. The director's cut of this movie is also dookie.

I think the OG Donnie Darko came out at a precise time of my life for some reason, perfect for my age group. Really enjoyed it back then. Haven't seen it in nearly 15 years though.

Directors Cut isn't that bad, there's nothing wrong with a little guidance through such a bonkers movie, and even with the help, it isn't enough lol.

jett

D-Member
Directors Cut isn't that bad, there's nothing wrong with a little guidance through such a bonkers movie, and even with the help, it isn't enough lol.

There's guidance then there's literal text boxes popping up explaining shit in the director's cut.

Watevaman

I've only seen this movie once and I was drugged up from a surgery. It made me feel so many emotions at the time. I wish it was coming near me so I could experience what it feels like in a theater.

More or less. The Box was supposed to be his big mainstream film and it failed miserably. He had a couple of projects in the works, but they got derailed by various things, including most tragically the death of James Gandolfini. He participated heavily on the recent Blu-ray that Arrow Video just put out in the US and Europe, but that's the most active he's been in years.

Just read the synopsis of that movie. Holy shit.

The chief tells Arthur's boss Steward is "something else." When Steward was struck by lightning, he died, but at the morgue, a nurse heard Steward laughing. His body supernaturally regenerated

Classic example of taking a simple and effective premise and going waaaaaay too far with it.
It's the classic crutch of a bad writer, everything needs to be biggerer and betterer and have supernatural elements for no reason and the whole world lies in the balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom