• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7950x3D is now at the top of the food chain for gaming!

OverHeat

« generous god »
89gnbid.png

Poppyseed

But…but… who on earth is buying a CPU like this and a 4090 GPU just to play 1080p? At 4K I’d guess all these CPUs perform similarly.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Thought it alway was? I thought it was never recommended for gaming because it’s a lot more expensive than the 7800X3D while being 1% faster in gaming.

Bojji

I was thinking to get one but think wait for intel new platform is the best move.

With AM5 five you will be good for 7xxx series, 9xxx series and probably more. With Intel? Who knows, and at this point they are not advancing CPU market in any way, only using power hungry Alder Lake variations for 2 years now.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I'm currently rocking a 7700x, but will definitely be upgrading to a 9800X3D or something of the like when they release.

Poppyseed

How many times is it necessary to explain to people, that a benchmark at 4K is just a benchmark for the GPU.
People benchmark at 1080p to isolate the CPU. Why is this so difficult to understand?
How many times is it necessary to have videos showing gaming on high-end hardware at low resolutions as a determiner of a CPU’s worth when just about nobody games like that? What is the point?

Draugoth

Gold Member
Q3 for now. Perfomance jump even vs Zen4 massive

for now it's core to core vs Zen4 =>40%, gaming even more

Depending on the price, i would need to work off two years to buy a rig that can support the top Zen5 CPU, let's wait and see.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
How many times is it necessary to have videos showing gaming on high-end hardware at low resolutions as a determiner of a CPU’s worth when just about nobody games like that? What is the point?

For several reason. The main one is to know which CPU is the best for games. Running at 4K means all results will be similar.
Processing high amounts of pixels strains the GPU. Not the CPU. And it means the GPU will often become a bottleneck.
Another reason is that we usually upgrade the GPU more often, than the CPU. So a mid range GPU in a few years, will be more powerful than a current high end GPU.
Another reason is that the most used resolution is still 1080p. And the monitor class that is most sold today is 1440p. Few people are playing at 4K.
There are probably more playing with 1080p or 1440p screens with very high refresh rates, than at 4K. Especially for competitive games.
Another reason is that minimum FPS are still very important. So knowing which CPU cand deliver the best performance, is important to get a smooth gameplay experience.

KaiserBecks

Because it's not about representing how people play their games. What you want is a performance benchmark, you'll find that in pc game reviews. This here however is strictly about creating an environment that makes it possible to compare the capabilities of a CPU. That's what people want out of a CPU benchmark, that's the only thing that makes sense when testing a CPU.

Poppyseed

For several reason. The main one is to know which CPU is the best for games. Running at 4K means all results will be similar.
Processing high amounts of pixels strains the GPU. Not the CPU. And it means the GPU will often become a bottleneck.
Another reason is that we usually upgrade the GPU more often, than the CPU. So a mid range GPU in a few years, will be more powerful than a current high end GPU.
Another reason is that the most used resolution is still 1080p. And the monitor class that is most sold today is 1440p. Few people are playing at 4K.
There are probably more playing with 1080p or 1440p screens with very high refresh rates, than at 4K. Especially for competitive games.
Another reason is that minimum FPS are still very important. So knowing which CPU cand deliver the best performance, is important to get a smooth gameplay experience.
I hear you but (respectfully) disagree with pretty much all points.

It doesn’t tell you which CPU is best for games because 1080p is unlikely to ever be a resolution gamers will use with a state-of-the-art, latest-gen CPU. I’d actually challenge anyone to find a gamer playing on this CPU at 1080p. I fully understand how resolution at the lower end is CPU dependent and at the higher end is GPU dependent. But here I am with a 13700K and a 4090 wondering if this CPU is going to do much for me at 4K in terms of CPU bottlenecking and… well, I don’t know. It’s a review of high-end equipment at preposterous gaming resolutions that doesn’t tell you pretty much anything.

It seems like these reviewers are trying to sell their product (reviews) to gamers when really it should be productivity software they ought to be focused on. But that won’t get gamer clicks.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

It doesn’t tell you which CPU is best for games because 1080p is unlikely to ever be a resolution gamers will use with a state-of-the-art, latest-gen CPU. I’d actually challenge anyone to find a gamer playing on this CPU at 1080p. I fully understand how resolution at the lower end is CPU dependent and at the higher end is GPU dependent. But here I am with a 13700K and a 4090 wondering if this CPU is going to do much for me at 4K in terms of CPU bottlenecking and… well, I don’t know. It’s a review of high-end equipment at preposterous gaming resolutions that doesn’t tell you pretty much anything.

On the competitive scene, there are plenty of people using high end CPUs, for high frame rates and low latency.
Just look at the Steam charts. 4K is used by only 3-4% of people.
Your use case is just one. Not everyone uses the PC to game the same way as you.

And it's not for clicks. Using lower resolutions to test CPUs has been the standard for nearly 3 decades. And the reason is logic.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Honestly I don't think I will be leaving am4 soon with the Temps of the new ryzens, however it's nice to see amd doing so well

KaiserBecks

It seems like these reviewers are trying to sell their product (reviews) to gamers when really it should be productivity software they ought to be focused on. But that won’t get gamer clicks.

That's like saying it doesn't make sense to test drive cars going from 0-60 on a track because most people drive in the city. This is simply a pure approach to estimate performance, and it's completely valid.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
And AMD has just announced the 5000XT series, for AM4.
Still no details. But probably more Zen3 with higher clocks.
Yeah it's nice to see them supporting it a lot still, you can tell they care about being upgradeable as long as possible

That being said I doubt those cpus will outdo the 5800x3d, that's kind of the AM4 endgame cpu lol

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

But…but… who on earth is buying a CPU like this and a 4090 GPU just to play 1080p? At 4K I’d guess all these CPUs perform similarly.

Because at 4k a huge range of CPUs will normalize to near the same performances (GPU bound). For a 4k gamer all these benchmarks are meaningless.

Gaiff

And in 5 years will you be singing the same tune? People don't often upgrade their CPUs so it is 100% necessary to know where your CPU falls when it is being strained. If it isn't necessary, pair your 4090 with a low-end CPU. It should be fine at 4K 90% of the time because you'll be GPU-limited anyway, but in 5 years when you wanna upgrade to a 6090, we'll see how well that low-end CPU holds up, even at 4K.

Q3 for now. Perfomance jump even vs Zen4 massive

for now it's core to core vs Zen4 =>40%, gaming even more
I don't believe this is confirmed at all at this point, so I think we should all calm down and see what it turns out being after release. Besides we need to compare the x3d parts vs x3d, not the non gaming cpus.

Poppyseed

And in 5 years will you be singing the same tune? People don't often upgrade their CPUs so it is 100% necessary to know where your CPU falls when it is being strained. If it isn't necessary, pair your 4090 with a low-end CPU. It should be fine at 4K 90% of the time because you'll be GPU-limited anyway, but in 5 years when you wanna upgrade to a 6090, we'll see how well that low-end CPU holds up, even at 4K.
But in 5 years time the games will be different anyway. I don’t see the logic, at all. If no benchmarks ever show me resolutions that people spending this kind of money actually use, how would you ever know when to upgrade? One can’t just throw an i3 CPU in with a 4090 and call it good for 4K. There’s value to the high resolutions.

All I’m really getting from review of games at 1080p with expensive hardware is this: don’t upgrade your CPU.

OverHeat

« generous god »
The 7950X3D does have one advantage, that might become a bit more important in the future, as games become more complex.
It has double the data bandwidth in the Infinity Fabric. And this means higher memory read speed, sometimes double.
True but I will have upgraded already when it happen 😂😂😂

KaiserBecks

Because at 4k a huge range of CPUs will normalize to near the same performances (GPU bound). For a 4k gamer all these benchmarks are meaningless.
Not necessarily. People tend to upgrade the GPU more often than the CPU, so the CPU will become a bottleneck eventually. Depending on one’s habit of upgrading (and your needs, as some features on high end CPUs not only benefit gaming), picking a strong CPU can make your system last longer. That’s why it’s important to compare them.

winjer

Gold Member
True but I will have upgraded already when it happen 😂😂😂

You might be already benefiting from it. A bit.
Notice how the average difference between the 7800X3D and 7950X3D is only 2 fps. But the minimums, is 4 fps.

It might also means slightly reduced loading times and shorter stutters from asset streaming.

Gaiff

But in 5 years time the games will be different anyway.
Yeah, so? The current CPU hierarchy won't change. I can guarantee you that the 13400F will fare a lot worse than the 7800X3D in 5 years, even at 4K when being driven by an RTX 6090 with copious amounts of ray tracing. With your logic, one shouldn't bother with the high-end CPUs, they perform similarly at 4K anyway.
I don’t see the logic, at all. If no benchmarks ever show me resolutions that people spending this kind of money actually use, how would you ever know when to upgrade? One can’t just throw an i3 CPU in with a 4090 and call it good for 4K. There’s value to the high resolutions.

All I’m really getting from review of games at 1080p with expensive hardware is this: don’t upgrade your CPU.
The reasons are clear but you're playing the contrarian. Faster CPUs will age better and last longer but they also cost a lot more. Furthermore, there are also games like FS 2020 or BG3 that already strain even high-end CPUs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom