• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8-4 Play 5/26/2017: INGLORIOUS DASTARDS

Really great episode. I would love it if you guys were able to have more interviews/segments similar to the Treehouse interview.

Also,
E3 hype train next episode!

nickgia

Really great episode. I would love it if you guys were able to have more interviews/segments similar to the Treehouse interview.

Also,

After they omitted the scooter and the magic bus, I expect a ton of DJ Quad City jams next episode.

@MUWANdo

Banned

Seconding this!

If you guys are still thinking about Patreon then a regular interview series is definitely something that I'd pay for... maybe keep the fortnightly podcast and post the interviews on the in-between weeks, or do "podcast > stream > podcast > interview" every month or something.

Faustek

Now this was really interesting. Really enjoyed learning about the workings of NoE and NoA and I'm grateful NoE is pulling out all the memes of their releases. Jokes are fun yes but the thing is that memes are already run into the ground when the game is announced. You just can't keep up.
And I'm also grateful to hear how much great care you take to really localise a game. To even go back to the birth of a game series just to make sure you keep it correct and make it fit is really great to hear. Feels as those idiots bolstering about how fast they could localise a thing really are idiots. Because tbh I really doubt any of those jack asses understands how much work goes in to this. Just translating text? Is there even such a job? Do people not realise that localisation is rewriting while still keeping true to the subject? Anyway, 8-4 really saved my bacon today. Had a really boring half day at work before I remembered that most people also only had half a day and that's why the office was empty.
As for namedropping Alexander O. Smith there I hope everyone remembers to look to FFXII. The golden line everyone should strive for when possible. That game remains to this day the best localized and I also have to give props to two really underrated game that Smith also left his stamp on.
Vagrant Story and Koudelka. While He was, if I remember right, the editor for those the Shakespearesque dialogue holds true even today.

Btw even though I praise the "rewrites" I'm still annoyed as fuck at Xenosaga and the NOTHING that you exchanged the blood for John. Yes I'm blaming you :D

great episode. almost wish jeremy had been on a different (additional?) episode so he could have been more the focus.

what is mark's current status at 8-4? i sort of thought he had been temporarily seconded to the Rez Infinite team, but now it seems like he doesn't actually work at 8-4 at all anymore? has his role at the company been reduced to "podcast host?"

So much great sophisticated talk from Treehouse and Parrish. So damn good.

Also,

WOO WOOOO!!!

Edit: imma want me some of that Suikoden quarterly. going to have to do some research there.

jrronimo

I was all ready to get on my scooter to the hype train and was disappointed. :( The episode was fantastic -- one of the best -- but I'm ready for some E3 HYPE TRAAAAAIIINNNN!

Was really great to hear Jeremy there, too. All of my favorite worlds collided this episode.

great episode. almost wish jeremy had been on a different (additional?) episode so he could have been more the focus.

what is mark's current status at 8-4? i sort of thought he had been temporarily seconded to the Rez Infinite team, but now it seems like he doesn't actually work at 8-4 at all anymore? has his role at the company been reduced to "podcast host?"

Mark left 8-4 to work at Enhance Games with Miz a few months back (maybe even a year back?), but still hosts the show whenever he can.

I was all ready to get on my scooter to the hype train and was disappointed. :( The episode was fantastic -- one of the best -- but I'm ready for some E3 HYPE TRAAAAAIIINNNN!

Was really great to hear Jeremy there, too. All of my favorite worlds collided this episode.

Mark left 8-4 to work at Enhance Games with Miz a few months back (maybe even a year back?), but still hosts the show whenever he can.

i guess that was sort of my question. had he officially left for enhance or was he just working on a long term project with them. also he owns (owned?) part of 8-4. is he now just passive? diluted? bought out? i guess this is none of my business, just curious.

hank_tree

i guess that was sort of my question. had he officially left for enhance or was he just working on a long term project with them. also he owns (owned?) part of 8-4. is he now just passive? diluted? bought out? i guess this is none of my business, just curious.

He no longer works for 8-4. I don't think he owns/owned any part of 8-4.

Responding to the call for feedback. Amazing guests this week; getting in depth with translation stuff is never boring, especially when there's this much knowledge on both sides of the discussion. Great stuff! More please!

Aw man I was hoping for even more depth more weeds more specific examples in the localization talk. Pretty much the only time anything in Japanese came up was when the Treehouse guy busted out his Osaka-ben... but hearing about the history of Fire Emblem in English was still interesting. The new game sounds a lot like the Tactics Ogre remake on PSP, which is a good thing!

Top Bottom