• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8% of developers in a GDC survey say they’re working on Nintendo’s next console

Draugoth

Gold Member
csm_Distortion_and_2_1_0e16466345.jpg

8% of developers questioned in a new industry survey have said they’re working on games for Nintendo’s next console.

The newly-published 2024 GDC State of the Game Industry survey asked over 3000 game developers across indie and AAA studios questions about their work, including which platforms they’re currently creating games for. For the first time, nearly 250 people said they were working on titles planned for the Nintendo Switch successor.

Separately, 32% of developers surveyed said Nintendo’s next console most interested them right now, behind only PlayStation 5 (41%) and PC (62%). It’s worth noting that, since the Nintendo Switch successor is yet to be officially announced, those working on games will be doing so under strict secrecy, so it’s possible that more of the 3,000 surveyed are working on ‘Switch 2’ games but chose not to disclose this, even anonymously.

switch-2-gdc.jpg-768x864.png

MacReady13

csm_Distortion_and_2_1_0e16466345.jpg

8% of developers questioned in a new industry survey have said they’re working on games for Nintendo’s next console.

The newly-published 2024 GDC State of the Game Industry survey asked over 3000 game developers across indie and AAA studios questions about their work, including which platforms they’re currently creating games for. For the first time, nearly 250 people said they were working on titles planned for the Nintendo Switch successor.

Separately, 32% of developers surveyed said Nintendo’s next console most interested them right now, behind only PlayStation 5 (41%) and PC (62%). It’s worth noting that, since the Nintendo Switch successor is yet to be officially announced, those working on games will be doing so under strict secrecy, so it’s possible that more of the 3,000 surveyed are working on ‘Switch 2’ games but chose not to disclose this, even anonymously.

switch-2-gdc.jpg-768x864.png
Where any of these devs excited to develop for game pass? I mean, I see that bandied around at every Xbox game show so I’m assuming devs are excited to develop for that particular platform.

Anyway, hurry up Nintendo and announce this fucking thing. I’m over playing the old as shit switch!

There is very little reason for Nintendo not to have a 2-3 year period of cross-gen games. The switch has a 130mil install base. They will probably have 2-3 big exclusive games to the next gen console, but besides that, I don't expect them to pivot all that quickly. There is just too much money to be made with a player base that isn't going anywhere

Last edited:

mrcroket

There is very little reason for Nintendo not to have a 2-3 year period of cross-gen games. The switch has a 130mil install base. They will probably have 2-3 big exclusive games to the next gen console, but besides that, I don't expect them to pivot all that quickly. There is just too much money to be made with a player base that isn't going anywhere
I really prefer that, it means backwards compatibility with the switch catalogue, possible nextgen patches (which some games really need) and crossgen games that will run at 4k (I guess with DLSS) and 60fps.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
8% Game Freak games.
Don't jinx it! Last thing we need. The angle here of saying 8% is more hype (just like an image showing 'Nintendo Switch 2...Max'); but I doubt the numbers. Nintendo is super secret about anything they're working on when it's the scale of a console.

Doom85

Have they done that ever aside from Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild? I’d be very surprised if that happened,

And for anyone saying, “it makes too much sense!”, that’s irrelevant when it comes to Nintendo. They’ll make some solid business decisions, and then also make some baffling ones. Trying to 100% predict what they’ll do based on logic is a fool’s game.

Codes 208

I really prefer that, it means backwards compatibility with the switch catalogue, possible nextgen patches (which some games really need) and crossgen games that will run at 4k (I guess with DLSS) and 60fps.
Even with dlss, how many 4k games are on the ps4? Or steam deck? Or even series s? Everything is pointing to the switch 2 being another hybrid system so i seriously doubt we’re getting 4k-capable specs.

1440p is likely the max we should expect
10 percent for VR headsets.
Looks like the next Nintendo system isn't going to be a VR headset. :(
good

Woopah

Have they done that ever aside from Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild? I’d be very surprised if that happened,

And for anyone saying, “it makes too much sense!”, that’s irrelevant when it comes to Nintendo. They’ll make some solid business decisions, and then also make some baffling ones. Trying to 100% predict what they’ll do based on logic is a fool’s game.
Times change.

How many cross gen games had Sony published before the PS5?

Before the Switch, Nintendo were floundering in past generations, trying to innovate and gain their player base back. By all reports, their next system will be just like the Switch but more powerful. It's a pretty safe and clear path Nintendo is on

Codes 208

There is no DLSS on PS4, Deck or Series. Deck can run gazillions of 4k games.
I imagine most of those are retro emulations or 16-bit indies? How many of those gazillions of games are new AA-AAA releases? Or even last gen titles?

Cause the last time i tried to play, what i consider a simple last gen game (dark souls 3), i had to bring the resolution down to 720p with low-med settings just to hit a consistent 40fps

Three

Wasn't the Switch library mostly games from the Wii U?
Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D world, Captain Toad, Donkey Kong Country, etc

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I imagine most of those are retro emulations or 16-bit indies? How many of those gazillions of games are new AA-AAA releases? Or even last gen titles?

Cause the last time i tried to play, what i consider a simple last gen game (dark souls 3), i had to bring the resolution down to 720p with low-med settings just to hit a consistent 40fps
Can run games up to PS360 era at 4k.

If dev studios are dumb enough to think the Switch 2 won't sell fucking gangbusters after the 120-some-odd million sales of the first Switch, then I guess you don't want sales.

Woopah

There were quite a few actually, Dragon's Crown Pro, Helldivers, Resogun, Dead Nation, Little Big Planet 3, MLB The Show 14, 15, and 16, the Last of Us a year later on PS4.
I'd count most of them as ports, since they came to the other generation later instead of the same day.

So for example, I'd class Little Big Planet 3 and BOTW as cross gen, but not Dragon's Crown Pro or Mario Kart 8 DX.

some weird points in there
13% of devs are not involved in development? GDC?
I would have expected that more teams might ignore XSX and only support PS5, but just 1% difference is not really much.
Interestingly more devs seem to have abandoned PS4 than Xbone. Also just 2% but the other way around and bigger would appear more logical.
And why do devs think they don't work on cloud games as much as on current gen, when any PS and Xbox game is theoretically a cloud game, if they want or not. They might not test it in that environment, but maybe they should, since the extra lag is kinda its own difficulty modifier and should be part of some metrics to adjust it a bit. So okay, maybe admiting that they don't care at all if it ends up on cloud, with not optimised thus kinda unfair code is quite telling how few think about it even.

Cyberpunkd

I can only assume that most devs surveyed are lying by omission because of NDA. This is even more smoke to the fire that a Switch 2 is on the way!
It also depends what exactly do they mean by working on? Do they have dev kits or are targeting specs (either provided by Nintendo or assumed as e.g. parity with PS4)?

Top Bottom