• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8 year old girl starves to death after dentist pulls all her teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orellio said:
If there is anyone to blame, it sure as fuck isn't the parent's. Did you even read the OP? They were in contact with people EVERY DAY trying to fix the situation and help their daughter. The doctor who performed the operation should have his license revoked.

There comes a point where you don't just take the advice, you make moves. When you see your child vanishing before your eyes, you don't oblige when the hospital says to not come in. You go in and demand something be done.

You also get your kid to open their fucking mouth to eat something. If you can't, you get her pumped with it. You don't watch your kid starve for days.

It's not all the parents fault, but they are fucking idiots who do deserve blame.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Orellio said:
If there is anyone to blame, it sure as fuck isn't the parent's. Did you even read the OP? They were in contact with people EVERY DAY trying to fix the situation and help their daughter. The doctor who performed the operation should have his license revoked.

Dude fuck that.

You don't need to consult or see a goddamn doctor to force your 8 year old daughter to EAT.

She's EIGHT. You don't think you could force an eight year old to do something?

zoku88

Yea, I'm also wondering why she wasn't force fed/being treated for obvious psychological issues. It's not like you need teeth to eat...

Solideliquid said:
Socialized medicine.

The hospital told the parents not to bring her in. If you child doesn't eat for more than three days, you bring that child to the ER for hydration and if she doesn't eat in the ER you put her in the hospital for IV nutrition. This was an acute emergency and a child psychologist isn't able to help in an outpatient setting.

That child needed to be admitted to the hospital and while she was there a psychologist could have dropped by to see her. Psychologists have no medical training and they cannot make medical decisions. That hospital killed this child when they told the parents to get medical advice from a psychologist.
What does this tragedy have to do with the National Health Service?

ccbfan

Something doesn't make sense.

If the girl refuses to open her mouth, doesn't mean that she didn't drink anything either. But there's no way in hell someone can survive without water for 3 weeks. So she must have drank stuff. If the girl drank stuff then the parents should have been able to feed her through a straw in various things like nutrition shakes and soups.

hockeypuck said:
What does this tragedy have to do with the National Health Service?

I made that comment because it seems if you need medical help you get put off in the UK. And it seems that this is also the case here. The parents contacted the hospital with real concerns (my child isn't eating, my child is losing weight) any hospital administrator, nurse, or physician that at least marginally cares for patients would have at the VERY LEAST told the parents to bring the kid in.

Psychologists aren't medically trained and telling the parents to wait for the psychologist was malpractice.

Shins

Banned
palmas.jpg

lil smoke said:
Some PARENTS do tend to be not too bright. Sad story.

I don't care WTF any doctor tells me if I can see my child wasting away before my eyes I am going to the damn emergency room. It's not their child, if she dies it's no loss of theirs outside of a lawsuit.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
What the fuck? what kind of shitty parents are those? I mean, I'm sure they're going through a lot now and I feel sorry for them, but when you see your child is not eating or drinking how do you allow that? a good slap is what that child needed. You shouldn't be hitting your kids most of the time, but there are situations like these where it's mandatory. Or blackmail her with an embargo on her birthday presents or something. WTF. This does not compute at all.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
UraMallas said:
At one point you pry open your fucking kids mouth and shove nutrients down it. End of story.
That's what I was thinking. The parents are totally at fault here, sorry. I would never let my child go so long without eating a thing.

Slavik81

Kal said:
*speechless*
The there's a blurry line between stupidity and insanity. She was clearly mentally ill, and it caused her to make really bad choices. Whether that also makes her 'stupid' is really just semantics.

If I ever told my parents that I wasn't eating the dinner that they laid out for me to eat, they would've beaten me half to death.

And I probably would've woken up with a full stomach.

3 weeks is ridiculous, and shows a clear lack of common sense.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
LONDON – Eight-year-old Sophie Waller cracked a baby tooth eating candy....

They removed all seven of her other baby teeth at the same time to avoid the need for future operations, the doctor said.

What sick doctor was this???
scena9ej.jpg

Solideliquid said:
I made that comment because it seems if you need medical help you get put off in the UK. And it seems that this is also the case here. The parents contacted the hospital with real concerns (my child isn't eating, my child is losing weight) any hospital administrator, nurse, or physician that at least marginally cares for patients would have at the VERY LEAST told the parents to bring the kid in.

Psychologists aren't medically trained and telling the parents to wait for the psychologist was malpractice.
I get the point of the psychologist. You don't need to beat it into the ground. I still don't understand why you think this is a national health system error as opposed to more likely attributable to individual(s). You also seem to imply that UK health professionals don't care, period.

"Get put off in the UK?" Is that anecdotal evidence? Because an actual, formal, survey shows that UK patients are less likely to report medical errors and more likely to see their doctor SOONER than American patients. UK patients also have less of a major headache that American patients commonly encounter: neglecting to seek care because of costs, then running into the emergency room when the disease is more severe.

If you want to make an example out of the NHS or other "socialized" medical services, do know that the vast majority of health policy experts disagree with you.

Chumly

Forgotten_Taco said:
Why the hell would they remove all her teeth in the first place?
My brother had the same fear of dentists so they drugged him out and pulled out 8 at the same time. My parents made sure he ate afterwards though.

I know 2 of my friends that had 5 and 7 teeth pulled at the same time. Its not really that uncommon.

JimmyV

Banned
in before "thats why universal health care sucks" and jokes about english people's teeth....

oh....I should have known =/

Chumly

Also if you guys havent figured it out yet she was obviously drinking SOMETHING at least since you cant survive without liquids for 3 weeks. This is why the Hospital was probably like feed her calorie drinks and get her to a Pysch immediately instead of coming in. Really this wasnt something for the hospital to do but somehow it got out of control because of dumb parenting.

rpmurphy

Don't mean to be cruel, but the poor girl is probably better off dead than to be raised by these idiotic parents. Let's for a moment put aside the fact that they let the dentist pull out all the girl's teeth without they being aware. If they can't even not let the child die of starvation in their own hands, I cannot imagine what other things this girl suffered before this incident or would have suffered in the future if she didn't die.

If you suspect the doctors are bullshitting you, then get a second opinion, especially if it's about your child... common sense. Hell, if it is a non-immediate life-or-death situation, get a second or third or fourth opinion anyway!

While there obviously are serious issues of malpractice and misguided medical advice going on in this story, the actual death of the girl rests entirely on the parents, no one else. Unbelievable.

Botolf said:
What the fuck.

Is anybody guiltless in this?

- The doc pulling all the teeth for convenience and without consent
- The psychologist being completely pants-on-head retarded ("No food in weeks, weight plummeting? Nah, it's totally fine.")
- Parents do nothing while their child eats nothing for three weeks

There's plenty of blame to go around.

I can't believe some of you are seriously blaming the hospital. I'm not saying they did all they could to help the girl (let's not even mention all the different ways they fucked up) but in the end the parents are the ones to blame, it's their daughter for god's sake... How can you possibly just stand and watch your daughter not eat shit for THREE DAMN WEEKS and do nothing but call the doctors? How can someone be so fucking stupid, let alone both of them? Don't they have blood in their veins or what? I find it really hard to believe there was nothing they could've done to make her eat. I'd buy her a damn pony to make her eat if I had to.

Some people should just not have children. I can't believe they actually knew how the making babies thing works.

mAcOdIn

jonnybryce said:
There comes a point where you don't just take the advice, you make moves. When you see your child vanishing before your eyes, you don't oblige when the hospital says to not come in. You go in and demand something be done.

You also get your kid to open their fucking mouth to eat something. If you can't, you get her pumped with it. You don't watch your kid starve for days.

It's not all the parents fault, but they are fucking idiots who do deserve blame.
I agree. Shit, I force my fucking cat to eat, I think I could do it for a child. If those fuckers still refused me I'd walk in there with a gun and demand they hook her up at gunpoint. I'd rather go to jail and have all the negative media attention but have my daughter alive then sit on the couch all day watching her do her best Christian Bale impression.

But Jesus, did they get some terrible fucking advice. Sucking on a watermelon's enough to let an 8yr old survive? Lol, fucking retarded.

undrtakr900

I also blame the parent sure all the doctors are jerks for not caring about their patient, but if the parents know their daughter hasn't eaten in multiple days they should take the initiative and do something about it. Coercion, force feed, feeding tube or whatever but do something since no one else cares enough to be much help.

Zoe said:
Houston3000 said:
They shouldn't of pulled so many teeth though, it was probably too painful and I bet she was extremely embarrassed going to school with so many of her teeth gone.
I had 6 teeth pulled when I was in kindergarten or the year before. It shouldn't have been particularly painful if the dentist knew what he was doing.
Same with me. My mouth was too small for my teeth I had 5 teeth pulled when I got my braces in the 10th grade. It was only suppose to be 4 of my permanent teeth but the doctor pulled one baby tooth because it was already loose.

Like you said you don't really feel anything sine you get a shot that nums your mouth beforehand.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
UraMallas said:
At one point you pry open your fucking kids mouth and shove nutrients down it. End of story.
Exactly. Hold her nose, shove in baby food.

I think everyone just underestimated this little girl. How many people have the will power to voluntarily starve themselves to death?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom