• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8BitDo announces "Pro 2" controller

TheDud

Neo Member
that's nice and all, but who the hell chose those button colors? why not go with the Nintendo color scheme?
You mean the nintendo color scheme of "whatever the fuck we want", sometimes its all the same color sometimes A is green and B is red, with Y and X being grey, ect

Soodanim

8bitdo have confirmed that there’s no out of the box support for Steam regarding the back buttons. But that doesn’t mean too much, because Valve add all the support that controllers have off their own back. If they can be mapped to anything on a controller with the “Ultimate” software, they can be mapped to any key when Steam gets that functionality.

Intoxicate

They have now also adjusted the color scheme for the "classic" SN30 Pro, i.e. the SNES color is gone. However doesn't look like a real update, maybe they just replaced the purple buttons with the "PS" style once. E.g. the Start and Select button have the same spacing as the older version (is updated on the Pro 2) and the buttons and dpad have that frame around them (not anymore on the Pro 2).
I hoped for an updated SN30 Pro as well with the same dpad improvements they did on the regular SN30 and the XBox version of the Pro.

04-l.jpg

Meesh

Huge fan if 8bitdo, as others have noted it would've been sweet if you could wake up the Switch with the home button. But...I'll end up buying it anyways. The D-pad is second to none and rivals the original, the sticks feel good too, at least to me.

SumJester

Their Nintendo stuff is nice, but the Sega ones are very bad. My Mega Drive Dpad got stuck just after a couple of months.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Makes it really worthless on xo and pc with that stick placement.

Last edited:
Huge fan if 8bitdo, as others have noted it would've been sweet if you could wake up the Switch with the home button. But...I'll end up buying it anyways. The D-pad is second to none and rivals the original, the sticks feel good too, at least to me.
That's my biggest thing with all non-first party controllers. Is it really that hard to program in a Hold-To-Turn-On function?

Intoxicate

That's my biggest thing with all non-first party controllers. Is it really that hard to program in a Hold-To-Turn-On function?

I don’t think it’s hard at all, just copy right protected. Like with car keys, you will not find a third party replacement that unlocks your car. Looking on the history of 8BitDo they will not want to further stress their products towards Nintendo patents.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I wish they made a 2.4ghz PC controller/receiver.

I really dont like Bluetooth never had luck with that tech for controllers. It always cuts out or there is noticeable lag etc. Thats why I stick wtih Xbox controllers for PC due to the USB receiver from MS which works great.

drotahorror

Makes it really worthless on xo and pc with that stick placement.

Word why would a PC user EVER play with that stick placement. What kind of dumb reply is that? Are you really incapable of believing someone on PC could use a PS4/PS5 controller?

Intoxicate

This might be weird to some of you, but I rock the SN30 pro while playing MH Rise and I love it.
I'll "upgrade" at some point, 8bitdo has yet to really let me down.
Doesn’t sound weird at all, in contrast the Plus always a bit too big when I first got them.
they appear to have slightly adjusted grips, will test one.
Still hope for an normal SN30 Pro with Ultimate software support.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
do they work on M1 based devoices? from Apple?
cunt

Last edited:

Intoxicate

Still waiting for mine. Should arrive soon according to the tracking number I got.
Ordered both the updated S30 Pro (new color) and SN30 Pro 2 (new buttons) will open them and check if anything has changed compared to earlier versions.

Spacefish

I've had about 10-20% of my 8bitdo pads break within a year, either due to the firmware update software being shite and crashing mid-update, or the battery just refusing to take a charge anymore. But the main reason I try to avoid them now is they effectively have zero warranty. My last pad (the Pro) broke within 60 days, the battery just flat out stopped charging, so I emailed their support team and they wanted me to pay for return postage to China to repair it. The postage cost is more than the controller, and they were very clear that they'll only repair manufacturing defects. So now when I evaluate controllers I have to consider that the 8bitdo basically has no warranty, whereas other pads sold by EU distributors have a 1-2 year warranty and often free (or very cheap) returns.
Isn't that kind of behaviour straight up illegal in the EU? Especially if it broke within the first 6 months, I thought the law was that any fault that arises in that timespan is automatically assumed to be a manufacturing fault so they have to replace it free of charge. Maybe the fact that they are based in china lets them pull some shady shit but doing business in the EU should be enough. I was thinking about buying this since all my controllers are breaking and it looked like a pad that might have decent quality control but if this is true then fuck it, my luck with pads is close to 50% failure, I need a proper warranty.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I need a proper warranty.
I have around 60 of their products between their controllers and other accessories.

I have had issues with two of my controllers break (worn out button pads on the bumpers). When I contacted their support email address, well outside of warranty for one of the two, they sent me replacement parts for free.

I wasn’t expecting that level of service tbh.
I know each person exp will differ, but from me they get two (correctly placed analogue sticks) thumbs up!

Last edited:

Spacefish

I have around 60 of their products between their controllers and other accessories.

I have had issues with two of my controllers break (worn out button pads on the bumpers). When I contacted their support email address, well outside of warranty for one of the two, they sent me replacement parts for free.

I wasn’t expecting that level of service tbh.
I know each person exp will differ, but from me they get two (correctly placed analogue sticks) thumbs up!
I guess that's slightly reassuring though not entirely since the controller didn't need to be shipped to them for repair. If someone could confirm that they do actually repair broken controllers with free shipping that would be cool.

It's a beautiful controller. Just enough weight (slightly less than the 360 controller), all buttons feel really good, and the texture feels really nice to the touch. I'm loving it. If you like the Microsoft layout, get the Pro Controller. If you like the Sony layout, get this controller. The curving of the handles may make it hard to rely on the D-Pad for fighting games though. It is slightly longer than you think though, just a pitch more than the PS4 controller.

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
I went to look this up and they are sold out until the end of May.

I’m looking to replace my pro controller not sure if this is the way to go or not.

Intoxicate

If i have a SN30 Pro Plus, is there any benefit for me to get this new one? (Ie....improved dpad, etc....)

the dpad is not what was promotes as being updated.
Back triggers, smartphone ultimate software compatibility, mode switch and profiles were. I also don’t see a reason to improve the dad compared to the pro+, since they already fixed issues compared tothe normal pro with that.

short version, if you don’t customize your controls, no.

jaysius

Banned
the dpad is not what was promotes as being updated.
Back triggers, smartphone ultimate software compatibility, mode switch and profiles were. I also don’t see a reason to improve the dad compared to the pro+, since they already fixed issues compared tothe normal pro with that.

short version, if you don’t customize your controls, no.
Is there less input lag and analog stick calibration weirdness that people are always going on about over on the reddit sub?

Hoddi

Is there less input lag and analog stick calibration weirdness that people are always going on about over on the reddit sub?

I can't speak for the sticks but lag depends on many factors like BT vs USB and which system you intend to connect it with. I haven't really tested it much over Bluetooth but I get different results over USB depending on which mode (X-input, D-input, Switch, MacOS) the controller is set to.

But, by and large, the latency question is largely overstated in my opinion. I tried comparing it with my DS4 on PC (which can poll at 1000hz over USB) and I couldn't tell much difference. People often talk about the NES/SNES as having instant response but even those only polled the controller at 60hz. I did notice more lag over BT but I don't consider it an issue if you intend to use USB.

Last edited:

Intoxicate

There are some firmware update to fix those problems mentioned.
I never had problem with input lag, more with interference between controllers. So when you had more than one controller connected the connection wasn't stable. I'd assume a lot of people call this "input lag", but it has been fixed in the Pro and Pro+ for me with earlier firmware updates.

Birdo

Banned
The D-pad hole is still too big, making the D-pad slide around.

It's only a problem with these "Pro" versions. Their regular SNES-style controllers don't have it.

I wish they made a 2.4ghz PC controller/receiver.
They used to make Super Nintendo ones (as in, wireless Super Nintendo style controllers, with a 2.4Gz receiver for the original Super Nintendo), but they've stopped making them.

Every 2.4Ghz controller I've bought from them (1 for the NES mini, 2 for the SNES mini, and 1 for the Genesis mini) have all been fantastic. No complaints.

But now that they've discontinued the OG SNES 2.4Ghz option, I'm gonna give their Bluetooth solution a chance. I already bought the Bluetooth receiver for the original SNES from Amazon, which of course came right away. They have these Bluetooth "DIY kits" to convert your original Super Nintendo/Super Famicom controller to Bluetooth, and I ordered one kit straight from them. And that's the problem -- ordering straight from them, man, shipping takes FOREVER. I honestly don't think I'll order directly from them ever again.

Intoxicate

Still waiting for mine. Should arrive soon according to the tracking number I got.
Ordered both the updated S30 Pro (new color) and SN30 Pro 2 (new buttons) will open them and check if anything has changed compared to earlier versions.

Received my two controllers. The normal SN30 Pro just got a color update, the board and the dpad contacts are still exactly the same (sensitive diagonals). I think I prefer the old SN30 Pro style (swapped the buttons) since it’s a nicer grey.

The SN30 Pro 2 on the other hand feels better. The grips have been shortened given it a refined grip which I really like. Otherwise the App is really great and I actually see me using the button remapping since the profiles can be easily swapped.

Only issue I have, the smartphone clip is not wide enough to hold the Switch. Would have been nice to use it with the Switch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom