• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

90s Arcade Racer seemingly cancelled for Wii U and PC

Kickstart WiiU game, cancel WiiU version, lol. And no PC is just nuts.

Yep, this.

I'd be pretty pissed if I had kickstarted this game. It suggests every KS should say they're targeting every platform to get more funding, then just cut platforms later with no repercussions.

Corpekata

Banned
To be clear, the site lists:

Full Mojo Rampage
Binding of Isaac Rebirth
Cave Story
VVVVV
Night Sky

Which all have Windows versions, as not having them (though some without Nicalis involvement). I would not take this site as accurate.

To be clear, the site lists:

Full Mojo Rampage
Binding of Isaac Rebirth
Cave Story
VVVVV
Night Sky

Which all have Windows versions, as not having them (though some without Nicalis involvement). I would not take this site as accurate.

Hmm, so possibly untrue then? Weird. All this wouldn't be a concern if they'd just update their backers, really..

btrboyev

Wii U surprises me as it was the original console it was kickstarted for. What a shitty thing to do to people who put down cash for it.

Nanashrew

Banned
Yep, this.

I'd be pretty pissed if I had kickstarted this game. It suggests every KS should say they're targeting every platform to get more funding, then just cut platforms later with no repercussions.

I'm pissed for constantly advertising the game on many social media channels because I wanted the Kickstarter to succeed. I didn't really back it cause I had no money at the time but I really, really, wanted to play it.

And no PC version too? That is absolutely dumb.

Justinh

Maybe it's just an oversight?
I just think it might be a little hasty to assume that if they haven't outright said that those versions were cancelled.

I mean... why wouldn't there be a PC version?

Nanashrew

Banned
Wii U surprises me as it was the original console it was kickstarted for. What a shitty thing to do to people who put down cash for it.

It's not the first time Nicalis has done this though. This company drives me mad tbh.

That's why I hated the idea of them getting picked up by Nicalis because of the super long and slow progression of development and cancellations like this.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Maybe it's just an oversight?
I think it might be a little hasty to assume that if they haven't outright said that those versions were cancelled.

This is Nicalis, a publisher that cancelled the release of a game via Twitter without even telling the developers first. There's a good chance that their website is just crappy and uninformative but there's also a good chance that the game really has shifted platforms and Nicalis has handled this in the worst way possible because... well, Nicalis.

Astral Dog

mtLa84U.jpg

51o6JBq.jpg

oh this was that weird game? it was never going to come out.

Justinh

This is Nicalis, a publisher that cancelled the release of a game via Twitter without even telling the developers first. There's a good chance that their website is just crappy and uninformative but there's also a good chance that the game really has shifted platforms and Nicalis has handled this in the worst way possible because... well, Nicalis.

Oh, WellShit.jpg.

I've heard that Nicalis weren't the best, but I wasn't aware they were that inept.

also: I had this game confused with 80s Overdrive.
Gotta be a misprint, right? Why wouldn't they release a PC version?

Maybe they were worried about piracy like that game that was pirated like... one and a half million times or something?

prag16

Banned
Kickstart WiiU game, cancel WiiU version, lol. And no PC is just nuts.

This is probably bullshit. The Wii U version was allegedly basically done at some point last year. People are likely jumping the gun. (And cancelling the PC version would make even less sense.) But who knows.

Santiako

This is probably just a mistake on the website, but with Nicalis being basically a worthless garbage company I could believe it.

@MUWANdo

Banned
agreed.

What's the reason for this? Parity clause?

We don't know that either version is cancelled, they're just not listed on the website, which doesn't necessarily mean a lot considering how poorly made the website is altogether.

The only way anyone is going to get an answer is by asking Nicalis directly, loudly and repeatedly, and if you're lucky he'll post a passive-aggressive retort and disappear until the next time he fucks something up.

Oh get fucked.

I will be so happy, the day Nicalis goes bankrupt. What a shit and incompetent company they are.

I was pretty disappointed when another KickStarter I backed announced, "Good news, Nicalis is publishing us!" I understand that the deals they promise may look good for continued development, but their track record is so bad...

Nanashrew

Banned
Yeah, the Wii U basically cancelled itself so you can't really blame dev's for migrating to other platforms.

I can understand that tbh. The biggest part I don't understand is the lack of PC which was also one of the platforms it was coming too other than the Wii U.

@MUWANdo

Banned
tbh, I've been worked up since they took over as publisher and helping with development. I simply don't trust them because of their bad track record with things like this.

I don't trust them either but it's long been established that Nicalis is an extremely poor communicator and they are not going to talk about or address this any time soon unless people make them, so if you want definitive answers about the status of this game you (and everyone else) needs to take your complaints directly to them and force them to respond.

Failing that, you could also try asking any of the journalists who attended the recent Nicalis press event, seeing as he looks to have presented the game there under its new name.

cacildo

Besides the fact that it was originaly kickstaerted as a wiiu game, it is the perfect moment for indie games on wiiu since they don't have to compete with big nintendo games being released

Not only that, but usually (good) indie games sell pretty well on wiiu

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm actually a little pissed! I've been waiting for years since i Kickstartered this game for the PC version. How in the hell do they cancel it?!? I don't want to have to play this on a console. :/

Crub

PC isn't mentioned under Binding of Isaac: Rebirth either. Highly doubt it's cancelled. When was the last time an indie game came out on Xbox and Playstation but skipped out on PC?

For a non kickstarted game, I would understand. For a kickstarted game ? Come on this is fishy and horrible. People paid for a product and you cancel it on the platforms they backed it for ?
Anyway, not that surprising with Nicalis. What happened to their version of Yatagarasu ?

Warxard

Banned
PC isn't mentioned under Binding of Isaac: Rebirth either. Highly doubt it's cancelled. When was the last time an indie game came out on Xbox and Playstation but skipped out on PC?

Everybody's Gone To The Rapture and Amplitude.

nikos

At this point, I don't care if it's mobile exclusive. I just want to play it.

A mobile version would actually be nice to have.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Maybe they were worried about piracy like that game that was pirated like... one and a half million times or something?

If you're referring to The Witness, Blow later said that the game the PC and PS4 versions were selling at a comparable clip. Piracy is a real thing, but it isn't a bogeyman worth abandoning the platform over.

Everybody's Gone To The Rapture and Amplitude.

Neither released on the X1.

Justinh

for what it's worth, the site listed on nicalis twitter's bios is http://www.nicalis.com/index.php#, it was updated today and the game is still listed under the 90's Arcade Racer name and original platforms on http://www.nicalis.com/games.php# (bottom left)

Yeah, what's up with the two sites? While the site you posted has a blog that was updated yesterday, OP's link has a blog that hasn't been updated since updated since February, and all the twitter/youtube/facebook buttons in OP's linked page just lead to twitter/youtube/facebook home while the nicalis.com icon links leads to nicalis' own pages on twitter/ youtube/ and facebook.

Maybe the GP game was another version to be sold on the current-gen consoles?

Some 'splainin' should be done, I'd reckon.

If you're referring to The Witness, Blow later said that the game the PC and PS4 versions were selling at a comparable clip. Piracy is a real thing, but it isn't a bogeyman worth abandoning the platform over.

No, I was referring to another indie game. I'd have to look it up, though.
Punch Club was the game. I agree that it's not worth abandoning the platform over, I'm just trying to understand why they would abandon it in the first place.

Top Bottom