• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

90s Arcade Racer seemingly cancelled for Wii U and PC

AmyS

Sega will release arcade-only Daytona USA 3 for consoles and PC before Nicalis ever releases 90s Arcade Racer.

Shiggy

Based on the Kickstarter comments, communication and release is up to Nicalis. The original developer seems to focus on his Steam game which is getting updates. Pretty shady.

Based on the Kickstarter comments, communication and release is up to Nicalis. The original developer seems to focus on his Steam game which is getting updates. Pretty shady.

Probably entirely true too. Nicalis will no doubt deny it if they even comment at all, like they always do.

sibarraz

Banned
It sucks that this seems to be dead, loved the idea. In the other hand, it seems like SEGA saw money on the idea of a retro 90's racer game and filled the void

EDarkness

I guess the general rule of thumb is if Nicalis asks to help you with your game say, "No." Will probably be more productive on your own.

Atolm

Ok I'm really sorry for the bump, but after Bloodstained cancellation for Wii U I just checked and the Kickstarter for this project was in 2013 and we haven't heard a thing since...I don't know, 2 years ago?

I didn't back this but I certainly was interested about the game. It's time for Nicalis, Pelican or whoever is in charge to clear things up.

Ok I'm really sorry for the bump, but after Bloodstained cancellation for Wii U I just checked and the Kickstarter for this project was in 2013 and we haven't heard a thing since...I don't know, 2 years ago?

I didn't back this but I certainly was interested about the game. It's time for Nicalis, Pelican or whoever is in charge to clear things up.

I've lost my interest in this game because of how silent everything has been, it's upsetting to think about.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
It's really a damn shame. The Wii U was in definite need of some quality arcade racers. Outside of Need for Speed, Mario Kart 8, Sonic Racing, and Fast Racing NEO, that was about it.

Platy

The last news was somewhere in the middle of 2016 and was about being called "90s Super GP" .... but then again

SOJJP5l.png

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions

It appears that Pelican isn't the problem, but Nicalis. Still, an update would be nice. The last meaningful info released was that Nicalis were adding more programmers to the game and that they were delaying it to rework the physics. AFAIK, the physics were being reprogrammed by Nicalis and Pelican had actually finished his portion of the game. Ever since Nicalis got involved, there have been little to no updates.

At this point, I pretty much consider the game cancelled. I think there's a higher chance of Nintendo releasing a port of Cruis'n Blast on Switch than of us ever seeing 90's Arcade Racer. It's a shame more arcade racers aren't available anymore. I know there's still an appetite for them, especially on mobile so you'd think Switch would be a good fit.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Any way to get my money back or has the Kickstarter curse simply claimed another victim?

Is the track record for not-super-sketchy stuff really all that bad?

I've backed 22 games, have received 19 (some still early access/not complete though). Of the other three, one is about to release (Cosmic Star Heroine), and one is actively in development from a company that has delivered multiple prior crowdfunded games (Battletech).

Only 1/22 has been a miss, and that is supposedly still in development but at this point I don't expect it to ever be finished.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Here's a little update on this: in the latest Super Best Friends Play podcast, one of the members announced he's been helping the developer on his other game, The Takeover, and he mentioned that Nicalis (the publisher) bought the entire rights for '90s Arcade Racer a long time ago and that they're making an effort to get them back so the game can finally be released.

He didn't offer any insight into the state of the game when Nicalis bought it or how long ago this happened, so it's hard to get a picture on why it never came out, but the ball seems to be entirely in Nicalis' court.

Dunkley

Here's a little update on this: in the latest Super Best Friends Play podcast, one of the members announced he's been helping the developer on his other game, The Takeover, and he mentioned that Nicalis bought the entire rights for '90s Arcade Racer a long time ago and that they're making an effort to get them back so the game can finally be released.

He didn't offer any insight into the state of the game when Nicalis bought it or how long ago this happened, so it's hard to get a picture on why it never came out, but the ball seems to be entirely in Nicalis' court.

Damn, that sounds bad. I've been looking forward to play this game for ages and it makes me pretty sad to think Nicalis might have been just sitting on the concept without doing much with it.

Best of luck to them trying to get the rights back. It definitely looked like a passion project and I want to see it completed.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Wii U cancellation sucks, but, let's be real, it's at least kinda understandable.

PC cancellation doesn't make any sense.
As much as I only own a wii-U not a PC or the other machines this game is being developed for I have to agree with you.

Here's a little update on this: in the latest Super Best Friends Play podcast, one of the members announced he's been helping the developer on his other game, The Takeover, and he mentioned that Nicalis bought the entire rights for '90s Arcade Racer a long time ago and that they're making an effort to get them back so the game can finally be released.

Can't wait for that to happen because I've wanted to play the game for years, and the last footage shown looked great.

Ninja Dom

Where is the OP??

Enter the Dragon Punch used to be prolific on Gaming side for a while, now he hasn't logged into GAF since January.

If they bought the rights, why are they trying to get them back? Did they revert?

I interpret the post as this: the developer sold the rights to Nicalis, which never finished and released the game. So now he's trying to buy the rights back.

90s Arcade Racer is the first game I kick-started. And I feel burned. Haven't kick-started a game since.

Edit: Beaten off the line. Game over, yeah!

DonMigs85

I interpret the post as this: the developer sold the rights to Nicalis, which never finished and released the game. So now he's trying to buy the rights back.

90s Arcade Racer is the first game I kick-started. And I feel burned. Haven't kick-started a game since.

Edit: Beaten off the line. Game over, yeah!
Ah yeah, I misread the post 🙇

Xater

Here's a little update on this: in the latest Super Best Friends Play podcast, one of the members announced he's been helping the developer on his other game, The Takeover, and he mentioned that Nicalis (the publisher) bought the entire rights for '90s Arcade Racer a long time ago and that they're making an effort to get them back so the game can finally be released.

No surprise, this is all about Nicalis being shit.

Where is the OP??

Enter the Dragon Punch used to be prolific on Gaming side for a while, now he hasn't logged into GAF since January.

On Twitter.

Tsunamo

Nicalis once again showing how bad a publisher they are.

Such a shame too, I was really excited for this game and completely forgot about it until this thread popped up again because it'd been so long since we'd heard about.

rjc571

Banned
So basically, Nicalis hates videogames so much that they paid off the developer to prevent the game from ever coming out.

#FuckNicalis

MicH

I was just thinking about this game yesterday when I read about the Cave Story Switch reviews. Sad to hear this game is seemingly never coming out as long as Nicalis has the license :( Nicalis is such a terrible publisher. Why not release it and get some of the spent money back?

Tizoc

Could you make a thread about this please?

VariantX

The fuck is nicalis doing? They got time to make 30 versions of cave story, but not even an hour to say what's going on with the other game?

kitsuneyo

He sold the rights after a nice kickstarter? Lol

Honestly don't care for this game or the Dev any longer.

This. The guy seems to have ripped off his backers. If he had used the money he raised to build and release what he could, according to his original promise, nobody could complain. Even if the game wasn't that good. He had a nice looking trailer up 4 years ago.

If that thing about the rights is true, what possible incentive does Nicalis have to sit on this and do nothing?

Jesus, Nicalis. You're just terrible.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If that thing about the rights is true, what possible incentive does Nicalis have to sit on this and do nothing? .

They have terrible (project) manangement. What others manage to do in 1 years it take 5 years for them and even then they can't release the games in Europe.

Top Bottom