• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

_______ while Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walpurgis

Banned
Riding on a train.

My dad went to visit family in Italy ~27 years ago and had a good time there (met my mother). To get back to Canada, he had to go through France so he got on a train in Italy to go to Paris. The train stopped in Marseilles and a train worker approached him.

Train guy: Stand up, the seats are for French people.
Father: WTF? Are you serious? You can't do that!
Train guy: Yes, I can, now get up.
Father: NO! You can't do this!
Train guy calls Train guy 2.
Train guy 2: Get up or we will call security. These seats are for French people.
Father: I paid for this train ride in Italy!
Train guy 2: You are not in Italy anymore!

My dad got up and when they left/weren't looking, he walked into first class. He sat in the nice first class seats until Paris. When they stopped in Paris, one of the train guys saw him and was like "You're not supposed to be in there!" and my dad just laughed and got off the train (it was his stop).

He hates France now. :p

Anyone else bothered by how that news station is framing that shit in the video?

There's something really wrong at that news station.

Framing it immediately as if the problem is her arrest and not her brandishing of a weapon. It's "controversial" because it "raises questions about how far you can go if you think you are in mortal danger," not because racial panic could have gotten a perfectly innocent man murdered. Nick Beres goes so far as to call her fear "genuine." All this in service of burying the lede 90 seconds into a 3 minute news story.

They abbreviated Tennessee as "Tennn." in the column.

Nick Beres took the hourlong drive to Murfreesboro to interview the police and the crazy old lady, but forgot to shoot roll of himself outside the Walmart, so instead he had Premiere open behind him on a computer screen with a still of the Walmart while he read out loud what he would have read live at the scene. The whole damn sequence is surreal.

You know what's really sad? I'm positive most Americans still lack the ability to genuinely relate to people of another race. Interracial interactions are by and large a song and dance play-act like they were five decades ago. Black people are only treated with more respect now because certain amazing individuals earned their community media visibility and the resultant political power. So the black American story of the last few decades is not one in which the world around them opened their hearts to them. It's a story of power (politics, popularity), in which their talent, work, and blood forced people who don't fully regard them as human to at least politely act like they do (most of the time).

In any case, I would say most people aren't themselves around others and aren't really open to others being themselves around them. We treat everyone as a collection of labels regardless of race, and adult interactions usually have an element of power in the mix. Racism is (undoubtedly, the most important) byproduct of the psychological issues insecure and immature people the world over don't realize they have.

Redd

Updated - sitting in your own car while Black.

This video is thread worthy...

Look at the cop already making up his story. This is fucking why every cop has to wear a camera. Without it you just know everyone would side with the cop and his lame story. Hopefully Patrick doesn't lose his job and those cops are ounished.

BigMack

Browsing expensive items in a high end store while black (cant find a link for the story I'm thinking of)

I'm white and this thread is depressing as all fuck.

Riding on a train.

My dad went to visit family in Italy ~27 years ago and had a good time there (met my mother). To get back to Canada, he had to go through France so he got on a train in Italy to go to Paris. The train stopped in Marseilles and a train worker approached him.

Train guy: Stand up, the seats are for French people.
Father: WTF? Are you serious? You can't do that!
Train guy: Yes, I can, now get up.
Father: NO! You can't do this!
Train guy calls Train guy 2.
Train guy 2: Get up or we will call security. These seats are for French people.
Father: I paid for this train ride in Italy!
Train guy 2: You are not in Italy anymore!

My dad got up and when they left/weren't looking, he walked into first class. He sat in the nice first class seats until Paris. When they stopped in Paris, one of the train guys saw him and was like "You're not supposed to be in there!" and my dad just laughed and got off the train (it was his stop).

He hates France now. :p

Jesus christ, what piece of shit those guys are! (I realize this is from November of last year but still)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom