• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A 13-year-old is the first human to beat Tetris

Spyxos

Gold Member

Tetris is not designed to be beaten. Throughout the game's history of nearly 40 years, people simply assumed that it was designed to continue indefinitely until the player lost. However, the evolving professional Tetris scene, striving for previously unattainable levels, eventually pushed the game's code to its limits.

Professional Tetris player Willis "Blue Scuti" Gibson became the first person to "beat" Tetris some three decades after its original release by playing the game's most extreme levels until it crashed. Even this feat is only one more step on a long journey to discover how far humans can push Tetris.

Tetris doesn't have a traditional ending like most single-player games – it's designed to run until the player loses. For decades, pro players thought they'd reached the theoretical end of the NES version – the agreed-upon regulation version of the game – but recent breakthroughs revolutionized high-level play and put the code's breaking point within reach.

Last edited:

Pelao

Sure, technically it's not "beating it," but it's still impressive. The kid is really good at Tetris and not just anyone can do what he did. I at least suck at Tetris NES, I'm too used to the more modern versions of the game.

Sorcerer

It's like reaching what is it level 256 in Pac-Man? The game just wigs out. If Tetris threw in the towel for the kid, then consider yourself beaten Tetris!!!
I wonder if that was the reason, dev's started incorporating endings into arcade games? People would milk one quarter all day on a game like Asteroids, (hunting the UFO's after clearing all but one rock on a stage) and the arcade owner was probably losing a small fortune.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Ars has a great read on this

kbFXmFU.jpg

It's like reaching what is it level 256 in Pac-Man? The game just wigs out. If Tetris threw in the towel for the kid, then consider yourself beaten Tetris!!!
I wonder if that was the reason, dev's started incorporating endings into arcade games? People would milk one quarter all day on a game like Asteroids, (hunting the UFO's after clearing all but one rock on a stage) and the arcade owner was probably losing a small fortune.
I’m really only replying to you because you used the words “wigs out” haven’t heard that used in a long long time lol

The last time I wigged out was on 3 hits of Purrple Jesus. Lol

Sorcerer

I’m really only replying to you because you used the words “wigs out” haven’t heard that used in a long long time lol

The last time I wigged out was on 3 hits of Purrple Jesus. Lol
Yeah, I'm not sure where that came from. My fingers are faster than my brain. LOL!!!

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Tetris speed caps at lvl 29 so you really beat Tetris once you reach lvl 29. Which anyone from the age of 5 can do.

Hohenheim

I get a headache from just looking at that shit.
Tetris is great, but so damn stressful after a while!
Amazing archivement by this kiddo.

Zuzu

It's a great achievement but I don't think it should be considered the true end of the game. The true end should be considered Level 255 where all the blocks turn red and upon beating it the game loops back around to start again at Level 00. No one has gotten close to that yet and the player would have to actively avoid triggering the kill switches littered in the code at higher levels.

Last edited:

T-0800

Tetris is not designed to be beaten. Throughout the game's history of nearly 40 years, people simply assumed that it was designed to continue indefinitely until the player lost. However, the evolving professional Tetris scene, striving for previously unattainable levels, eventually pushed the game's code to its limits.

Professional Tetris player Willis "Blue Scuti" Gibson became the first person to "beat" Tetris some three decades after its original release by playing the game's most extreme levels until it crashed. Even this feat is only one more step on a long journey to discover how far humans can push Tetris.

Tetris doesn't have a traditional ending like most single-player games – it's designed to run until the player loses. For decades, pro players thought they'd reached the theoretical end of the NES version – the agreed-upon regulation version of the game – but recent breakthroughs revolutionized high-level play and put the code's breaking point within reach.

Classic Tv Nostalgia GIF by Sony Pictures Television

Top Bottom