• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A 23-Year-Old Allegedly Copied The 13 Reasons Why Suicide And Left Behind Tapes

well,damn

A 23-year-old in Peru has died by suicide and left behind recordings allegedly inspired by the Netflix series 13 Reasons Why. According to the Peruvian news outlet, Diario Clarín, Franco Alonso Lazo Medrano jumped from the balcony of his fourth floor apartment after yelling "I can’t stand a heartbreak." His mother was present during the act. Medrano survived the fall, but was later pronounced dead at San Juan de Dios hospital.

Diario Clarín reports that police found two suicide notes in his home, one to a woman named Claudia and another listing names of people for whom he had recorded tapes, claiming these people were the ones who caused him to commit suicide.

While neither of the notes directly referenced 13 Reasons Why, leaving behind tapes for people after suicide is the main plot point of the Netflix hit. Detractors of the show criticized this aspect specifically, as they believed it suggested that suicide is sometimes "justified."

"I can't get it out of my mind so I have to say, I think 13 Reasons Why discusses teen suicide & depression in an unhelpful & unhealthy way," tweeted Degrassi actress Aislinn Paul. "If you're struggling and this show helped you somehow, that's great and I would never want to take that away from you. But if it made you feel worse, misunderstood, isolated, or triggered in any way, please reach out for help! @KidsHelpPhone: 1(800) 668-6868"

A Canadian school is even attempting to ban students from talking about the series, and mental health organizations say the show is dangerous to those who are already at risk.

This backlash is what caused Netflix to strengthen the trigger warnings before the episodes in an effort to stop vulnerable people from watching something that could be harmful to their mental health.'

"There has been a tremendous amount of discussion about our series 13 Reasons Why," Netflix said in a statement to BuzzFeed. "While many of our members find the show to be a valuable driver for starting important conversation with their families, we have also heard concern from those who feel the series should carry additional advisories. Currently the episodes that carry graphic content are identified as such and the series overall carries a TV-MA rating. Moving forward, we will add an additional viewer warning card before the first episode as an extra precaution for those about to start the series and have also strengthened the messaging and resource language in the existing cards for episodes that contain graphic subject matter, including the URL 13ReasonsWhy.info — a global resource center that provides information about professional organizations that support help around the serious matters addressed in the show."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/23-old-tragically-copied-13-151500880.html

Curious situation for Netflix.

Do we say that, hey, they have the thing marked TV-MA so parents need to parent better?

Obviously this person was of age anyway so I'm not sure what you could really do besides say you can't show suicide in media, and that's not a road I want to go down

And obviously, RIP to this person, I hope somebody reads this story and gets help

finowns

At my cousins middle school they gave out a warning to parents about this show. I think it's a bit much, although there was a suicide at another middle school in the city awhile back I think it was an 11 year old girl that killed herself; which is just insane to me.

Only 23 years of age. Absolutely heartbreaking. Barely had a taste of life.

I've feared 13 Reasons Why would have this consequence. I don't believe this will be the last instance of a person that needs help taking their own life in this manner.

I've done a lot of reading on what mental health professionals have to say, and the consensus tends to be that, creative intentions aside, the show is likely to present a dangerous set of ideas to vulnerable minds.

Its, to be generous, clumsy attempt at addressing suicide is unhealthy. In fact, I read one article in which experts expressed concern that she series now only presented suicide as a legitimate way to end pain, but also as an effective means to "getting even."

Ashes

Banned
Copy cat suicides are a real thing. It's why you might see someone like me post against posting suicide news threads, and also see me sometimes in the Mental Health thread.

You may want to provoke conversation and feel like you've helped, but suicide isn't like other health issues.

devilhawk

It would seem obvious that one of the major obstacles in people committing suicide is not wanting to put their friends and family through such a huge loss. I can see how show has instead glorified and effectively mitigated that fact and I am not shocked that people use this to justify the act of killing themselves.

It would seem obvious that one of the major obstacles in people committing suicide is not wanting to put their friends and family through such a huge loss. I can see how show has instead glorified and effectively mitigated that fact and I am not shocked that people use this to justify the act of killing themselves.
did you see what happened to her parents?

this is really sad.

This is why people were saying the show glamorized suicide. I'm not at all surprised something like this happened, but it's so sad that it did.

Mimosa97

The first thing I said to my gf after we were done watching the show was that we were going to see copycats in the next few months.

The show is definitely not for teenagers. It's aimed for adults.

RIP. Sad someone so young felt the need to take their life.

With that being said, the show isn't to blame for this young man taking his life. He would have likely have done it anyway.

Sheroking

This is why people were saying the show glamorized suicide. I'm not at all surprised something like this happened, but it's so sad that it did.

I don't think the show did, but I guess I can see how someone could perceive it that way.

I guess I would like to see warnings before every episode and a contact number for help-lines, just to help drive the point home that this is not an answer.

jb1234

The show paints with devastating results the effects the suicide has on the community, especially her parents. It has its flaws but I don't really see it as glamorizing the act.

Take it from someone who knows, when you get to that mental space, when you want nothing more than to make the pain stop, you no longer give a shit what it'll do to the people who care about you.

Fj0823

It was only a matter of time TBH.

Series made suicide look like the coolest shit ever for a confused teenager/young adult, you get all the attention and the people that hurt get to feel awful with guilt and suffer even harsher consequences

Rest in Peace ):

caliph95

Series made suicide look like the coolest shit ever for a confused teenager/young adult, you get all the attention and the people that hurt get to feel awful with guilt and suffer even harsher consequences

Rest in Peace ):
Except it didn't it may have it flaws but it goes out its way not to do that

jwk94

Rest in Peace ):

Only four people suffered a harsh consequence though. Everyone else was just fine in the end.

Moonkid

I think it's kind of redundant to evaluate whether or not the show 'really' glamourised suicide under these circumstances.
RIP. Sad someone so young felt the need to take their life.

With that being said, the show isn't to blame for this young man taking his life. He would have likely have done it anyway.
I agree that we shouldn't scapegoat the show. With that said, I can't fully get behind this sentiment. I'm not claiming it's wrong, it's impossible to know either way, but it undermines the proximity of the show to this tragic incident. He went out of his way to copy what he saw so to some extent, the show clearly influenced him.

azyless

Pretty much every suicide prevention association out there was against this show so... This is probably not the last.

Sad to hear, but in all honestly we will never know what drove him to commit suicide and to what extent the show influenced his decision. 13 Reasons Why is a great show that brought the discussion of suicide in teens to the for front. Whether or not Suicide prevention organisations were against it does not play much into the fact that it got teenagers and parents having an open discussion. The lad was 23 and depressed it could have happened to anyone, leaving a suicide note is common but he probably saw a better way to express why he choose to commit suicide after watching the show, it does not mean the show made him do it
I'm making Assumptions

Nowise10

The first thing I said to my gf after we were done watching the show was that we were going to see copycats in the next few months.

The show is definitely not for teenagers. It's aimed for adults.

Well the guy was 23 and an adult...

I think it is a good show for both teenagers and adults.

- J - D -

Everybody was saying something like this would happen, it was only a matter of time given how popular the show has gotten.

In any case, I hope Franco finds some peace. RIP.

Keri

I don't think one instance of copying demonstrates the show is dangerous. It seems the vast majority who watched it, were not influenced to commit suicide in the manner depicted on the show. It seems far more likely that this person was planning to commit suicide, regardless, and just copied the idea to leave tapes behind as suicide notes.

Die Leiden des jungen Werthers, anyone?
Hopefully not.
But stories like this show can obviously influence unstable people.
Stories about suicide in general, I guess.
It's why our media stopped reporting subway suicides (leading to a massive, massive drop). It's also why Aokigahara is full of corpses.

WinFonda

as someone who hasn't seen this show, can someone explain in more detail how it might glorify suicide?

are the tapes used to successfully guilt and shame people throughout?

Metroxed

Copy cat suicides are a real thing. It's why you might see someone like me post against posting suicide news threads, and also see me sometimes in the Mental Health thread.

Yes, the thing about the copy cats is completely true. That's why in my country, for example, suicides are never reported on the news. You'll never hear about them.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I don't think the series is to blame and I don't see how it glorifies suicide. It talks about a lot of different matters and displays the parents pain most of all.

Yes, the thing about the copy cats is completely true. That's why in my country, for example, suicides are never reported on the news. You'll never hear about them.

I'm guess this only applies to "normal people" suicides?
I mean, what's if a celebrity dies this way? Would be good to not make it news, but I can't imagine it being possible.

I don't think the series is to blame and I don't see how it glorifies suicide. It talks about a lot of different matters and displays the parents pain most of all.
It doesn't need to glorify to have negative influence, though. If suicide news can increase suicides, a show causing you to strongly empathize with a suicidal person will obviously do the same.
Sure, the show isn't to "blame" by itself I guess, but it was probably a factor.

Velcro Fly

It doesn't matter what it is. People will always try to copy it.

I feel for this person and their family and friends that this person didn't get the help they needed.

Wow thats rough, poor guy.

I think TRW does more harm than good. It brings to light suicide as entertainment and does a horrible job tackling depression imo.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Wow thats rough, poor guy.

I think TRW does more harm than good. It brings to light suicide as entertainment and does a horrible job tackling depression imo.

Hollywood always does though. It can't accurately portray mental health and depression because neither of those is something which is easily spottable externally. The actors have to go over the top to convey depression, when a lot of the times you're not going to know if someone is actually depressed.

It can't do anxiety for shit either.

Hopeford

... Didn't know the show was intense like that or...what it was about. Friend was just saying last night she watched this show and it had gotten to her in an intense way. She seemed shaken up bjt I didn't know what the show was about so I thought it was closer to red wedding than like, real shit like this.

I'm probably overreacting but I'm gonna go pick up a shit ton of ice cream and head over to hang out.

entremet

I don't think one instance of copying demonstrates the show is dangerous. It seems the vast majority who watched it, were not influenced to commit suicide in the manner depicted on the show. It seems far more likely that this person was planning to commit suicide, regardless, and just copied the idea to leave tapes behind as suicide notes.
Yep. That’s my take as well.

Arkeband

Banned
It's a show about teen suicide aimed at adults, I can understand teens being confused by it.

It's pretty brutal and when they finally show the suicide itself they don't censor in any way. It doesn't do a good enough job of emphasizing that the girl, although a terrible victim, pulls others into her tragedy and causes possibly more unnecessary death, and if they go through with the second season (which I think is a mistake) will lead to a lot of people dying.

So, yeah, criticism that the show glorifies suicide aren't far off the mark. Whether it made this kid kill himself is less certain as he likely would have killed himself with or without it.

Rest in Peace ):
I hated the show when I saw it, but I saw zero evidence of this. It's by no means great at doing what it set out to do, but in the end I felt it did try to express that we have people around us that do care.

LionPride

Banned

Rest in Peace ):
So although the show went through lengths to make sure people don't think that suicide is fine and cool, that was your take away? Okay.

Anyways this sucks to hear

SilentRob

That this show empowers people in thir desperate thoughts of suicide by giving them not only an exact blueprint but by also telling them "Hey, this way your suicide will make a difference!", thus potentially leading people from considerung suicide to attempting suicide is the whole point. That's not even a discussion, it's a medical fact - there's a reason doctors and therapists are universally panning the show.

As a therapist: Dude didn't kill himself because of a show. He killed himself because he found himself in a shitty situation and didn't have a support group to fall back on.

We say things like "Oh, it's so tragic" and "I wish he had gotten help instead," but rarely do we say "I'm going to be that help for someone in my life" and "I'm going to do something to try and make my world a less pessimistic, crappy place."

A silly show isn't what's rotten here, but something much more embedded in our society and the all-or-nothing, "no mistakes allowed" way it operates.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
We say things like "Oh, it's so tragic" and "I wish he had gotten help instead," but rarely do we say "I'm going to be that help for someone in my life" and "I'm going to do something to try and make my world a less pessimistic, crappy place."

This is very true. It's easy to say that kind of thing, much more difficult to provide that kind of support. Words are cheap, so cheap as to be almost valueless.

mf.luder

As a therapist: Dude didn't kill himself because of a show. He killed himself because he found himself in a shitty situation and didn't have a support group to fall back on.

A silly show isn't what's rotten here, but something much more embedded in our society and the all-or-nothing, "no mistakes allowed" way it operates.

Great post. And now I feel guilty :(

Top Bottom