• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Compilation of Hilarious Animations in Mass Effect Andromeda

Status
Not open for further replies.

xealo

I feel dumb for saying this but I'm not sure that I see what's so funny about these gifs:

061da65793.gif

66Nj6V.gif

I guess the joke about the second one is that Ryder's walking animation is robotic?

AqJIuSq.gif

Problem is I don't think Ryder's walk looks anything like that or even at all robotic (at least not in this instance). I find the rest of the gifs hilarious though!
Pay attention to the woman on the left as she walks behind the Krogan. The game does its memory clean-up with characters still on the screen when it no longer needs them loaded right in front of the players vision.

There's no real problem with the game having characters go poof, it's that it happens in a cutscene right in front of the camera that is.

If Horizon is janky during dialogue screens then we're gonna have to invent a new word for Andromeda.

The key thing that Giant Bomb pointed out in their stream yesterday is that almost everyone looks surprised and there's little to no brow movement resulting in the people in Andromeda looking ABSOLUTELY INSANE.

Lylo

Guys, please stop! I'm at work and i can't stop laughing! I think people are starting to wonder what the hell is going on at the IT department...

People are saying it's a new engine? Presumably made by someone who doesn't know what video games are?
Why wouldn't they just recycle Frostbite? It's a perfectly good engine. Based on what I'm seeing from this thread and the in general clusterfuck of an art style this isn't looking too hot. Putting Sunhi's Horizon gifs in this thread is already just kicking the game while it's down.
Answer me this. Where does the lady walking behind the Krogan go?
Even Okuyasu doesn't know where The Hand sends stuff.

Lime

People are saying it's a new engine? Presumably made by someone who doesn't know what video games are?

This was Bioware Montreal's first major project that they had to be leads on. This was the first major game they presumably had to use Frostbite (unless they helped out with DA:I?) after working with UE3 for their ME2: Arrival and ME3: Omega. New lead studio (with some old employees from the trilogy like Mac Walters as creative director) and new engine.

Arion

The key thing that Giant Bomb pointed out in their stream yesterday is that almost everyone looks surprised and there's little to no brow movement resulting in the people in Andromeda looking ABSOLUTELY INSANE.

Not just the brow movement but the eyelids stay perfectly stationary except blinking. It just gives off this emotionless dead eye look. Plus the eyes don't focus on other characters around them. They kinda just gaze into the distance.

I might just buy this game for the glitches, they are funny as fuck.

Seriously though, gonna wait for the reviews on this one, hearing mixed things.

No, they don't. Both this and Horizon fall short of both Inquisition and ME3 as far as dialogue scenes are concerned.

This is completely false. There are only a handful of "janky" scenes in Horizon, Brom included.

Your comparison to ME3 is simply ridiculous, in my opinion.

Mass Effect: Andromeda was built using EA DICE's Frostbite 3 engine, the series was previously built on Epic Games' Unreal Engine.
But Frostbite 3 games look good...Andromeda...ooh boy...it still needs some time baking in the oven.
The developers.
I really need to give devs more credit...or blame or something. Even with a great engine you can make a lol tier gif meme machine of a game...it's not even out yet. ME:A doesn't even look as good as Alpha Protocol...

Tecnniqe

Banned
But Frostbite 3 games look good...Andromeda...ooh boy...it still needs some time baking in the oven.

Asset quality and knowing how to work within an engine is whats doing it for games like BF, after all they made the engine.

Give it until the next installment from them on the engine and it'll improve a lot, I guess.

Shredderi

I think I expected too much out of this. Like I was expecting some AAA-production monster. That might actually be my fault but I just remember ME games being pretty high-tier in terms of production values back in the day.

JBuccCP

There should be a twist at the end of this game that the entire voyage to andromeda was a scam by the company that came up with the idea to get citadel funding and all of the people are cheaply produced glitchy androids.

Asset quality and knowing how to work within an engine is whats doing it for games like BF, after all they made the engine.

Give it until the next installment from them on the engine and it'll improve a lot, I guess.
I guess it's also partially on EA for rushing this cause it looks rushed. I guess I'll get it when the eventual 40gig patch fixes it.

tuxfool

Banned
Wait it's still Frostbite!!? How the hell does this and Star Wars Battlefront look so different?

To be fair the Battlefront characters look sort of hideous themselves. Nor do they animate the faces. Though you can certainly use BF1 as an example. This game doesn't appear to have any issues with the environments, just the characters.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I hesitate to badmouth a game before release, and especially before I've personally played it, and especially in a place like NeoGAF where developers can see my comments.

So I'll just say wow. I'm still keeping my preorder and looking forward to playing this on release day... but wow.

I'm sure the game will still be enjoyable but a couple of things seem pretty clear to me at this point.

1. Don't know if its the case, but it really seems ME:A started on last gen hardware, or at least using most of the existing assets from the previous series and ported them over to the new consoles. I wouldn't be surprised if this game had been in development prior to ME3s release. If you'll remember, optimism regarding the success of the new Xbox and PS consoles was kinda low so I wonder if they were hedging their bets on a multigeneration release like with DA:I.

2. This game is coming out at a really really really bad time, and I'd argue the last 3 months have really raised expectations on what a truly good game should be. Simply more of the ME you know on new consoles isn't going to make the grade. I think it will average around a 7-8 but there will be some significant low scores. I don't think the game will be fundamentally broken, or anything like that but...

3. ME:A is showing a lazy design philosophy. This comparison may seem a bit odd but I'm going for it anyway. ME:A may be following the design blueprint for DA:I but the design philosophy seems to be the same one that mired DA2. I'm one of the few that still really like DA:I and its mission structure. Its hampered by some flaws in quest design and the main antagonist really sucks but the overall package kept me busy for hours. Bioware also seemed to be responding to the horrible short-sided cut and paste lazy design that molded DA2 into the worst game they released in that timeframe. SO they decided to push forward with a more open area design that certainly had more variety in locales and things to do than the previous game did, MMO style quests be damned.
That style of game would suit the ME universe just fine, especially the exploration of planets, which isn't something they've done a great job with in the previous entries. I'm worried that they didn't take any of the criticisms of DA:I to heart and more or less cut an pasted the template without doing anything to push it forward. DA:I was a crossplatform game released in 2014 so I think some of its shortcomings can be forgiven for that. THat isn't going to fly in 2017 almost 3 years later.

I'm really just freestyling a guess, I still plan on getting it, and I think overall I'll like it (I've liked all of the ME games) but I think the issues here are going to be really visible and the fallout could be very vocal. It may prove harder to look past some things that just shouldn't be in a AAA 2017 release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom