• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Compilation of Hilarious Animations in Mass Effect Andromeda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimaka

That's definitely the case, and it's not only this game as evidenced by a video I posted last page where they not only turned Felicia Day (famous actress* very in tune with "geek" culture) into a character, they have her deliver lines like: "awkward" with the same anachronistic tone.

Some people like those touches where modern internet culture seeps into their games (like shipping and memes referenced in dialogue --calibrations, anyone?) but most of the time it's just groan worthy. It's really subjective, but frankly I think they missed the mark in this case and Bioware likes that shit too much and uses it to the detriment of the experience.

is actor the better term now? I'm not up to date with the better use of the term, so excuse my ignorance.

This is why I've stayed away from the Citadel DLC despite the positive responses. I can find this type of self referential, quippy writing humorous, but not a whole DLC worth of it. It ceases to be as amusing as the first time when it is everywhere.

HariKari

Is MEA supposed to be the Abrams Trek reboot of the franchise only done poorly?

Like Abrams reboots, it's an imitation of a ME game. It tries to do the song and dance but it feels really, really off to me. And as much as I tried to look past the animations, they ended up being very distracting. Some characters are poorly voiced and that only adds to the lack of immersion. I have a hard time caring for my Ryder, especially with how a major event is played so... cheaply early on. "Congrats, you're now the chosen one"

The Peebee sequence in particular is pretty distracting.

FluxWaveZ

This is why I've stayed away from the Citadel DLC despite the positive responses. I can find this type of self referential, quippy writing humorous, but not a whole DLC worth of it. It ceases to be as amusing as the first time when it is everywhere.

The Citadel DLC wasn't really about that. There was some of it, but it was primarily about the culmination of Shepard's experiences and relationships up to that point. The intermingling of the different characters in an adventure with lower stakes and levity was the main focus. It was fantastic, especially after the game's ending.

Disclaimer One: This thread and these examples do not mean that the animators in Bioware did a bad job or aren't talented. Animation is super difficult, especially in a game like this with hundreds if not thousands of cutscenes and dialogue sequences. It's not the fault of animators at Bioware Montreal, as they've been busting their asses I am sure. If you want to blame someone, blame project management, Bioware executives, and EA for giving the greenlight for this and for not helping out the animation department with what they needed to succeed. The people in charge of hiring and project management and finally greenlighting this for release might have had the most power in making sure that animations were up to par.

Why are you posting excuses for them? They obviously did a terrible job, and yes management also did a bad job by signing off on them, but this does not absolve the animators who are ultimately responsible for having done the animation.

inky

To me the Citadel DLC felt like fanfiction, and there was plenty of the above in there. It was tonally off compared to the rest of the game. Not that I loved ME3's tone, but it is what it is.

idg this meme. video game looks like video game.

i saw one of these with a laugh track, i was wondering what was supposed to be so funny. feels like people are forcing a meme just to have a new meme. must be a slow news week.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
To me the Citadel DLC felt like fanfiction, and there was plenty of the above in there. It was tonally off compared to the rest of the game. Not that I loved ME3's tone, but it is what it is.

I think it was just the injection of good vibes and happy tone ME3 needed: that and the ME3MP were shining lights in quite a dark time there.

We're both die-hard Yakuza fans so it CAN'T be that different. ;)

It's just that the delivery along with animation totally kills it.
Well the fact that we are both both Yakuza fans mean that we have great tastes overall, I agree with you on that :)

But humor is extremely subjective. So, it's only natural that we might have different opinions on it.

thumb

Banned
Why are you posting excuses for them? They obviously did a terrible job, and yes management also did a bad job by signing off on them, but this does not absolve the animators who are ultimately responsible for having done the animation.

Those are not excuses, they are important disclaimers about shared work in large game studios. You appear to be imagining a simple scenario in which someone does "bad work" and the higher-ups just give it the green light. But it's also possible that the amount of work assigned per individual was overwhelming, meaning that it was nigh-impossible to get an acceptable level of polish in the time allotted. Or that there were tools problems, etc, as Lime notes.

Kthulhu

idg this meme. video game looks like video game.

i saw one of these with a laugh track, i was wondering what was supposed to be so funny. feels like people are forcing a meme just to have a new meme. must be a slow news week.

The video game looks like shit. The female protagonist esspecially has a serious case of uncanny valley. The dialogue is awful, the animations are amateurish at best, and the script is nonsensical.

Zok310

Banned
The longer this thread goes on the more i realize that EA really don't give a fuck about their reputation or their IP. What a shit company.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The longer this thread goes on the more i realize that EA really don't give a fuck about their reputation or their IP. What a shit company.
At this point even if they gave a shit or were frantically forcing Bioware to work on a patch, it would be awhile before we see any results anyways. This is just a bad situation all around it seems since the animations is only one of the problems with this big budget AAA game.

Pixieking

Banned

Because, whilst the animators may have done a bad job, no-one sets out to create bad work. And there could be any number of reasons for this bad work, including: poor (or no) feedback, rushed milestones, requirement for the product to ship earlier than expected - thus affecting polish-time - and lack of professional development in the tools being used.

Certainly, the animators could all be new to the industry, too, or just bad at their jobs, but the fact that there's so much wrong with ME:A, including (but not limited too) poor voice direction, laughable script and a generic cliched story, clearly indicates an issue with senior management and team-leading.

No-one in either BioWare or EA comes out looking like they produced the best they could after the "My face is tired" scene. So you have to wonder why.

agreed. especially regarding this line:

If you want to blame someone, blame project management, Bioware executives, and EA for giving the greenlight for this and for not helping out the animation department with what they needed to succeed...

we know this for a fact? really?...

J_Viper

Well I wouldn't go that far.

They had a solid year in 2016 with Titanfall and BF1, both well received games.

I figured MEA would continue that streak. Let's see if that happens when the reviews hit.

tcrunch

Oh dear god, it gets worse......

I actually really like this. The only way it could be better is if Ryder replied to "The feeling's mutual" with "Oh! You like my accent too? :D" to cement her place as lead goober commander of the galaxy.

The animations of course don't meet the material. Why doesn't this salarian move anything but its mouth? Why is there a fade-in when it cuts to the salarian? Ahhhhh

q87gn5Z.gif

myself, i think they assumed that, after the trilogy, there was a solid template in place, & all that was necessary, at that point, was to simply follow it to create 'another mass effect game'. at least, that's how it feels to me. & i think they felt that, with their available tools & talent, this wouldn't be complicated for any of their teams to do...

A-V-B

I actually really like this. The only way it could be better is if Ryder replied to "The feeling's mutual" with "Oh! You like my accent too? :D" to cement her place as lead goober commander of the galaxy.

The animations of course don't meet the material. Why doesn't this salarian move anything but its mouth? Why is there a fade-in when it cuts to the salarian? Ahhhhh

q87gn5Z.gif

Wow

he is just completely frozen solid

Like couldn't they have even been assed to create a breathing idle for him?! That's shit you can animate in ten minutes after setting up a pose like that! For real! What happened that they didn't have time for it? This hurts :(

There is no game that wouldn't suffer from impact of last-minute changes during crunch time. The character creator is something specific to ME:A, but shouldn't excuse problematic NPCs and such, and there are other problematic features that ME:A doesn't have and other games do.

If Levine was seeing reactions comparable to Tony Hawk 5 then he has a point, but otherwise? We know game development is hard. Yet some games are less buggy than that, or at least make players care less for some reason.

ExVicis

Two things:

Someone wrote this and thought it was good

Someone signed off on it

:/
Well what bothers me most is they clearly know how bad it is with that "Kill me now" line, but they went ahead and thought if they just poked fun at how bad the line is it would excuse it.

But it doesn't, them making fun of it doesn't mean it gets a pass, it's just forced bad awkward.

Zesh

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

Is this really from the same company that brought us timeless scenes like the Sovereign Reaper one:

I... I can't understand.

The thing is, for the most part, it isn't the same company, right? BioWare Montreal vs. BioWare Edmonton, so I guess it makes sense.

q87gn5Z.gif
There's no breathing. He's already dead....woah

What the actual fuck is this

Is Ryder supposed to be a believable battle hardened soldier or some awkward tumblr girl?

Because the difference between her and FemShep is night and day.

The entire point of the Ryder kids is that they are young and inexperienced. So the latter, I guess.

Even if that's what they're trying to do (and if so that's fair but doesn't sound like something I want to play), they're failing here. The scene doesn't come off like a genuine awkward-cute inexperienced flirtation but rather an unintentionally awkward over-written under-acted attempt to create real awkwardness. The fact that awkward flirtation is genuinely awkward doesn't excuse an awkwardly failed attempt at depicting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom