• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Compilation of Hilarious Animations in Mass Effect Andromeda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
So is default fem Ryder slowly starting to become so unintentionally derpy that it is adorable and you can't help but to ultimately like her? I actually can sort of see that, now that a few of you have mentioned it. Same goes for Peebee.

It's weird, they've both grown on me big time: where as a few weeks ago I would have said I'd never stick with any of the defaults.

I kind of like all this derpiness to be honest, the game has gained an endearing form of rare jankiness that I can really appreciate.

Ryzaki009

So why *mild spoilers*
isn't Cora in charge? If they are so immature and untested, why would any sane person go along with Alec Ryder essentially pulling nepotism to skip over his true second in command? No rational person would put the lives of over 100,000 people in the hands of "untried, untested" 22 year old newbs.

Because Alec didn't give her the SAM link. (Also he really couldn't at the situation. Like it wasn't a choice between give SAM to PC or Cora it was PC is literally dying and there was no where else for SAM to go). To give Cora the position he'd have to sit there and let his child die while the other one was in a coma. And while he was distant he wasn't that distant.

Kyuur

Some of the stuff in this thread is legit bad, but some of it is great. I saw the fem "what the fuck" expression gif in another thread and it made me more interested in ME than I ever have been. The rest is just typical EA animation jank.

ironcreed

Banned
It's weird, they've both grown on me big time: where as a few weeks ago I would have said I'd never stick with any of the defaults.

I kind of like all this derpiness to be honest, the game has gained an endearing form of rare jankiness that I can really appreciate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3wKzyIN1yk

It's definitely more fitting in this context. Sometimes it becomes easier to like someone when you realize they are not perfect. After all, none of us are.

Slaythe

1) Writing standards for romance scenes in an RPG where you have tons of options to choose from? What game changed these standards and please don't say Witcher, cause I love that game but it's really not the same. (you only have two romance options and your main character is predetermined)

You don't have "only two romance" options in Witcher. Plus it's irrelevant. What makes emotional or romantic scene work ? 1) writing 2) delivery 3) composition of the scene 4) the animation/presentation . Many games with awkward writing pulled it off because writing isn't all that matters. You can't be denying that there have been many emotional and romantic scenes in the games that came out in the past decade ? Are you talking about quantity ? So if you're saying that it's OK if the quality sucks because there's a lot of it, then I don't agree.

2) Writing in Andromeda is a permanent cringe fest? Well, I assume that you've already finished the game then?

I'm making an assumption. If I watch a stream and 95% of the scenes have a cringe inducing moment, I'm not assuming the rest instantly gets better. Because here's the thing, if you get lucky and the game doesn't glitch, then maybe the bad writing will take you out of the scene. And if it's not the writing it's gonna be the voice acting, or the animations. The game can't catch a break.

This whole writing off the game entirely based on a few gifs and bad lines of first 6-7 hours, in a 40-50 hours game, is really not that sensible. Instead of saying how bad an unreleased game will be, I think we should wait for it to actually release first, so people could play and see what it has to offer.

Look. Horizon has glitches and a few bad scenes, Witcher has glitches sometimes, nobody is asking for a perfect game. But you have to admit it's extremely frequent in ME:A.

But here, the bar is set SO LOW that you have to realize the game is either unfinished, or they had absolutely no quality control and the standard is extremely low compared to any recent high budget (and mid budget) game. There's no other way to look at it. Nobody would let THAT shit ship in a final version the way it is. Unless 1) they don't care 2) they literally had no time / budget to do better.

You can't possibly say this bodes well for what's to come, and this is a 60 dollars game. I cancelled my preorder, I'll wait for reviews, if it's good i'll get it at half the price in a few months. How is that not reasonable ?

Plum

Ugh no thanks. I hate being ordered around unless I'm supposed to remain second in command. The father would be fine (especially since you'd do pretty much nothing in combat) but Cora? No thanks. That'd just make her stepping down so easily afterwards stupid. I had the same issue with Cassandra in DAI.

The Kett being a threat can be established in different ways. (And is like them wiping out the previous outposts).

Well that's fair enough it'd probably be best for you to wait for the reviews to come out so you can read spoilers and see if it's something you'd like.

Then have the most obvious companion go with Ryder, their dad. You have practically no time beforehand with your dad, all we know is that he's a strong leader and your dad. Bioware has an entire game to develop Liam and Cora, yet only a prologue to make the player feel anything about their dad's sacrifice.

As for the Kett being a thread, yes it can be established in other ways but that doesn't make them a good threat. To use Star Wars again, imagine if instead of seeing the Empire invade Leia's shuttle and seeing the aftermath of Luke's family getting murdered, we just hear about those events with Luke's only real interaction with them being a random gunfight. We see generic Kett leader do... something menacing afterwards and that's it; being an enemy in a videogame does not a good threat make. Compared to the Reapers I felt nothing except bafflement that Bioware chose to not have them have any part in the death of your dad.

I will wait for reviews, and I'll likely play the game itself come Summer, but I know poor writing when I see it and unless things change drastically I can't see myself getting over the overly generic, yet poorly written, plot.

Meowster

I was really disappointed because I just followed up a playthrough of Mass Effect 1 and 2 in anticipation for this.. but now I kinda want to still get it to see these animations on the big screen lmao. Some of these are hysterical.

Tecnniqe

Banned
66NDRV.gif
fry_melting.gif

She's taken on this unintentional character of a super awkward girl. Maybe kinda faded. I think she's cooler and more endearing than Nathan Drake or new Lara Croft. I hope she has a long career in reaction gifs and memes.

Stage of grief reached: Acceptance.

Ryzaki009

Then have the most obvious companion go with Ryder, their dad. You have practically no time beforehand with your dad, all we know is that he's a strong leader and your dad. Bioware has an entire game to develop Liam and Cora, yet only a prologue to make the player feel anything about their dad's sacrifice.

As for the Kett being a thread, yes it can be established in other ways but that doesn't make them a good threat. To use Star Wars again, imagine if instead of seeing the Empire invade Leia's shuttle and seeing the aftermath of Luke's family getting murdered, we just hear about those events with Luke's only real interaction with them being a random gunfight. We see generic Kett leader do... something menacing afterwards and that's it; being an enemy in a videogame does not a good threat make. Compared to the Reapers I felt nothing except bafflement that Bioware chose to not have them have any part in the death of your dad.

I will wait for reviews, and I'll likely play the game itself come Summer, but I know poor writing when I see it and unless things change drastically I can't see myself getting over the overly generic, yet poorly written, plot.

Yeah it is pretty dumb. Going through the prologue with your father would help significantly.

I haven't watched Star Wars outside of Phantom Menace so I have no idea what you're talking about. Well I watched spoilers so you see the Kett being plenty menacing. And even in Eros it's established pretty early they are a threat. As for the Archon you see him try to imitate Alec and stalk off angry when it doesn't work. As for the Reapers we have three games of them. Not to mention they're plenty idiotic too ("It is not a thing you can comprehend!" except it is. And it's dumb). (also I can't believe I forgot Shep's stupid "you're a machine and machines can be broken!" response sweet maker).

Again poor writing is a fair complaint. But BW games have plenty of poor writing so that some are acting like this is some revelation that ruins everything else baffles me. Playing any modern BW game to begin with means you have some tolerance for poor writing.

Like I'm not saying it's not iffy writing. I'm just confused as to why anyone's surprised because I just finished playing the trilogy and there's plenty iffy writing in there too.

Plum

Yeah it is pretty dumb. Going through the prologue with your father would help significantly.

I haven't watched Star Wars outside of Phantom Menace so I have no idea what you're talking about. Well I watched spoilers so you see the Kett being plenty menacing. As for the Archon you see him try to imitate Alec and stalk off angry when it doesn't work. As for the Reapers we have three games of them. Not to mention they're plenty idiotic too ("It is not a thing you can comprehend!" except it is. And it's dumb).

Again poor writing is a fair complaint. But BW games have plenty of poor writing so acting like this is some revelation that ruins everything else baffles me. Playing ME to begin with means you have some tolerance for poor writing.

A New Hope is the most typical hero's journey out there. Luke's a regular guy, you see him as a regular guy, and then the big bad kills his parents, establishing them as a threat. He goes through some character development and then the mentor figure (i.e. ME:A's dad) is killed off and he's left to solve things for himself. ME:A tries to cut down that entire 2 and a half hour movie into a short prologue mission and still fails to do it. By the time I became Pathfinder I: didn't care about Sara's dad's sacrifice; knew the Kett were just another enemy, one I could beat; and didn't feel at all like Sara was out of her depth because in gameplay I'm still Shepherd.

Your point about the Reapers doesn't make any difference because the stupidness of the Reapers only came in with ME3. By the time you get to the Citadel in ME1 the Reapers were a clear and obvious threat; in ME:A the main threat of the prologue is lightning.

The previous games had poor writing, yes, but they had stories I wanted to actually continue with. Bioware has tried to do too many things with ME:A and, going from the prologue alone, haven't done a good job at accomplishing any of them. Poor writing is one thing, not being able to accomplish the basic Hero's Journey is another. I didn't particularly care about the generic "big bad vs. chosen one" story shown in the trailers but I could have looked over it if the writing was good, it isn't.

EDIT: To clarify further, that random kid's death in ME3, for example, was a terrible plot device and a poor motivation for Shepherd but the Reapers were already a threat, they didn't need introducing. ME:A is an attempt to reboot the game's universe, it can't afford to fail in making us care for the story.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So is default fem Ryder slowly starting to become so unintentionally derpy that it is adorable and you can't help but to ultimately like her? I actually can sort of see that, now that a few of you have mentioned it. Same goes for Peebee.
Allaccordingtokeikaku.jpg

You don't have "only two romance" options in Witcher. Plus it's irrelevant. What makes emotional or romantic scene work ? 1) writing 2) delivery 3) composition of the scene 4) the animation/presentation . Many games with awkward writing pulled it off because writing isn't all that matters. You can't be denying that there have been many emotional and romantic scenes in the games that came out in the past decade ? Are you talking about quantity ? So if you're saying that it's OK if the quality sucks because there's a lot of it, then I don't agree.
What I'm saying is quantity will affect quality. I think Nier Automata has the best romance in any video game that I've ever seen. But I'm not gonna hold something like Mass Effect to that standards. Cause Mass Effect gives me a ton of options to choose from and these characters are not just simply love interests, but you can treat them as your friend, your co-workers or even people that you don't like. So writers have to cover a lot of grounds and understandably that will affect the quality of writing.

The standards haven't changed, cause what Bioware is doing is really different than what other devs have done.

I'm making an assumption. If I watch a stream and 95% of the scenes have a cringe inducing moment, I'm not assuming the rest instantly gets better. Because here's the thing, if you get lucky and the game doesn't glitch, then maybe the bad writing will take you out of the scene. And if it's not the writing it's gonna be the voice acting, or the animations. The game can't catch a break.
I'm not saying that these problems don't exist, they do. And I'm sure they affect the enjoyment of a lot of people. But at the same time, there are many people who'll get this game and won't encounter these glitches or aren't bothered by the animations. It differs for every person.

But regardless of how these things may or may not affect you, saying that writing in an unreleased game is a "permanent cringe fest" is objectively wrong, cause It's not even out yet. The only people who can make a statement like this, are those who have played and finished it. And even then it'll their opinion, cause "cringe" is subjective. What I find to be cringey might actually be amusing to someone else.

I cancelled my preorder, I'll wait for reviews, if it's good i'll get it at half the price in a few months. How is that not reasonable ?
That's completely reasonable and within your rights. It's your money and your decision. What is not reasonable is nitpicking everything about the game and trying to paint this picture that it's a disaster before the game has even come out.

Unfortunately, this is what's happening in this thread right now.

Karak

So why *mild spoilers*
isn't Cora in charge? If they are so immature and untested, why would any sane person go along with Alec Ryder essentially pulling nepotism to skip over his true second in command? No rational person would put the lives of over 100,000 people in the hands of "untried, untested" 22 year old newbs.

The story tries to explain this.
Source: I have beat it.

Ryzaki009

A New Hope is the most typical hero's journey out there. Luke's a regular guy, you see him as a regular guy, and then the big bad kills his parents, establishing them as a threat. He goes through some character development and then the mentor figure (i.e. ME:A's dad) is killed off and he's left to solve things for himself. ME:A tries to cut down that entire 2 and a half hour movie into a short prologue mission and still fails to do it. By the time you're Pathfinder I: didn't care about Sara's dad's sacrifice; knew the Kett were just another enemy, one I could beat; and didn't feel at all like Sara was out of her depth because in gameplay I'm still Shepherd.

Your point about the Reapers doesn't make any difference because the stupidness of the Reapers only came in with ME3. By the time you get to the Citadel in ME1 the Reapers were a clear and obvious threat; in ME:A the main threat of the prologue is lightning.

The previous games had poor writing, yes, but they had stories I wanted to actually continue; Bioware has tried to do too many things with ME:A and, going from the prologue alone, haven't done a good job at accomplishing any of them. Poor writing is one thing, not being able to accomplish the basic Hero's Journey is another.

Ah that makes sense. As for knowing the enemy can be beaten...that's the case for most games. It was the case for the trilogy as well. There wasn't a point where I really felt as a player that it was gonna end with the Reapers winning . Andromeda would have to be a much darker game for that not to be the case. Not to mention Alec's sacrifice and reasoning are expanded upon via his memories.

Not true at all. The Reapers were stupid in ME1. There was no reason at all for Sovereign not to wait for Shepard to naturally die then implement his plan with no one at all fighting him since Shepard and his/her crew were the only ones with the means to do anything. He had already waited several millennial what was 2 more centuries at that point. There was never any reason to reveal himself.

The main threat of the prologue are the remnant vaults corrupting the planet's atmosphere. Also Saren's the clear and obvious threat in ME1 not the Reapers. They don't become a priority until Virmire. Shep's visions are incomplete and he doesn't get the full picture until then.

Ah fair enough. I ended the trial eager to continue Ryder's story even if I was iffy on other things in the game (the animations for one).

EDIT: To clarify further, that random kid's death in ME3, for example, was a terrible plot device and a poor motivation for Shepherd but the Reapers were already a threat, they didn't need introducing. ME:A is an attempt to reboot the game's universe, it can't afford to fail in making us care for the story.

I don't know I found the vaults changing planets plenty to care about.

TI82

Banned
What I don't get is why there are so many fans that refuse to believe what they are seeing so much that they are trying to convince other players that it's not bad or at least not that bad. Hell in the trial thread there was other users attacking us that didn't like the trial. We gave the game 10 hours of our own time playing it I think that's a fair shake.

ironcreed

Banned
What I don't get is why there are so many fans that refuse to believe what they are seeing so much that they are trying to convince other players that it's not bad or at least not that bad. Hell in the trial thread there was other users attacking us that didn't like the trial. We gave the game 10 hours of our own time playing it I think that's a fair shake.

What I am getting is that it is not all some grand train wreck and that some of it is actually quite good. I don't think I have ever been more anxious to finally see for myself how much good there actually is outside of all of the bad we have seen.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

I kinda have to agree...i didnt give a damn about this game - but the more often i see her gif show up the more i wanna play the game.

She is kinda cool...LOL.

TI82

Banned
What I am getting is that it is not all some grand train wreck and that some of it is actually quite good. I don't think I have ever been more anxious to finally see for myself how much good there actually is outside of all of the bad we have seen.

I mean if you have to go through 10 hours of mediocrity to get to a good game that is not good game design and definitely not worth my $60. I dunno, I feel kind of like when Batman vs Superman came out... Just so underwhelmed after being pretty excited.

i-Lo

Not loved. But enjoyed yep.

I should correct you. I have disliked many games by them though.
They did make Bound by Flame right?

After cancelling my preorder today, I'm looking to pick it up between 6-12 months down the line. But I'll be waiting for your and ESA's reviews to determine how many fundamental flaws there are that cannot be fixed by a patch (such as poor writing etc) to determine just how long I must truly wait.

I should say that you can hate games and still think they are kinda good. A couple of examples in my opinion: Metal Gear Solid V (this is an awesome game, I even give it a 9 but I hate everything surrounding the story of it), Telltale's Batman (it's ok but it didn't match my expectations), Final Fantasy XV (my most hated game in a very long time but it's not a bad game).

The story states it explicitly:

Alec appoints the player to be path finder in part due to their compatibility with SAM iirc. Obviously Cora doesn't know this but is willing to accept the decision of her late superior officer.
This sounds as dumb as I thought it would be.

Plum

Ah that makes sense. As for knowing the enemy can be beaten...that's the case for most games. It was the case for the trilogy as well. There wasn't a point where I really felt as a player that it was gonna end with the Reapers winning. Andromeda would have to be a much darker game for that not to be the case. Not to mention Alec's sacrifice and reasoning are expanded upon via his memories.

Not true at all. The Reapers were stupid in ME1. There was no reason at all for Sovereign not to wait for Shepard to naturally die then implement his plan with no one at all fighting him since Shepard and his/her crew were the only ones with the means to do anything. He had already waited several millennial what was 2 more centuries at that point. There was never any reason to reveal himself.

The main threat of the prologue are the remnant vaults corrupting the planet's atmosphere. Also Saren's the clear and obvious threat in ME1 not the Reapers. They don't become a priority until Virmire. Shep's visions are incomplete and he doesn't get the full picture until then.

Ah fair enough. I ended the trial eager to continue Ryder's story even if I was iffy on other things in the game (the animations for one).

I should have added "easily." I know that most, if not all, games will have the good guys winning against the bad guys, but that doesn't mean all bad guys are automatically a threat I care about. By having us completely destroy a whole legion of Kett before we even get a good glimpse of their leader they're already made out to be barely a threat. Even when looking at Saren as the big bad of ME1 which, yeah he is (it's been a while since I played it), he's still shown as a threat to the player character directly. Your point about Sovereign is a plot hole that one thinks off after the fact, it doesn't affect ME1's actual threat in Saren nor does it affect his big chilling speech near the end; it's such a minor point whereas the issues with the Kett are clear from before Mission 1.

Fixing the Kett is an incredibly easy fix; just have the big bad Kett Leader come in and shoot your dad before running off. The prologue felt like it tried way too many things when it should have only done two: 1) Introduced and made you care about your dad/his sacrifice and 2) Introduced and made you want to defeat the Kett whilst establishing them as a substantial threat OR introduced the Remnant Vaults. Everything else should be done later; Cora, Liam, the Remnant Vaults, none of them needed to have time dedicated to them in the first mission.

Karak

I should say that you can hate games and still think they are kinda good. A couple of examples in my opinion: Metal Gear Solid V (this is an awesome game, I even give it a 9 but I hate everything surrounding the story of it), Telltale's Batman (it's ok but it didn't match my expectations), Final Fantasy XV (my most hated game in a very long time but it's not a bad game).

only the last one is an example of hate. In fact you went out of your way to not prove hate on those lol

After cancelling my preorder today, I'm looking to pick it up between 6-12 months down the line. But I'll be waiting for your your and ESA's reviews to determine how many fundamental flaws there are that cannot be fixed by a patch (such as poor writing etc) to determine just how long I must truly wait.
You are on your own little Ark on your way to Andromeda. Its just going to take 6 months:)

ironcreed

Banned
He's the same man who loved Technomancer and other games by Spiders.

He loves himself the jank. So do I.

Oh, I watch his stuff all the time because he is well spoken and cuts to the chase. I also don't think Spiders is all that bad, btw. I have always felt like if they could step it up a few notches they could make a fantastic game.

Truant

BioWare: Hey, The Witcher 3 raised the bar for story-based RPGs. We should be more like The Witcher.

EA: No. Think bigger. Where was the Witcher made? Poland. You know where that is? Eastern europe. We need to think eastern europe. We need eurojank.

Karak

Oh, I watch his stuff all the time because he is well spoken and cuts to the chase. I also don't think Spiders is all that bad, btw. I have always felt like if they could step it up a few notches they could make a fantastic game.

I would LOVE to see them get a AAA budget. Just have someone come in and be like. Lets knock this one out. And see what happened. No promises it would rock. Just would love to see it.
Spider getting 100mil for a game would be a sign the end times are near lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom