• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Compilation of Hilarious Animations in Mass Effect Andromeda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who doesnt mind the being a pie line.

It even says in the subtitles it's 'being up high' but just you know, the intonation of it is a little different.

Reminds me of this gif:

hv3eD.gif

Holy smokes. LOL

Haha, a young Ricky Gervais in training.

ht_gervais_10_sc_110705_wmain.jpg

I think other than animation, the weirdest thing to me is the voice work.

No one's voice matches up to their appearance, which is a stark contrast to ME 1-3 where every character had distinct voices and accents.

Everyone just sounds... human. Take the female Turian, for example. What the hell is that? It's like they didn't want to be bothered to figure out an interesting way to make it work.

inky

No. But it's not much better.

"yo boss how will ppl know that one's a girl alien"

"girls wear makeup right? give her lipstick"

hmmm

Funny, that is literally a conversation that happened at Bioware, 6 years ago:

They're all males in the game. We usually try to avoid the females because what do you do with a female Turian? Do you give her breasts? What do you do? Do you put lipstick on her? There's actually some of the concept artists will draw lipstick on the male one and they'll say ”Hey, it's done" and we'll go ”No, can you take this serious?"

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/04/22/mass-effect-3-creating-garrus.aspx

To their credit, they did female Turians after that.

aravuus

Well I mean, they're aliens they created, why not just go nuts and give them double the amount of limbs or something? Maybe they talk about this on the GI video, can't watch it rn.

Wish Bioware's designers would just go all out with the (intelligent) alien designs. Different colored humanoids are so boring. ME1 had the right idea, but now that I think about it, I can't really remember seeing many Hanar around in the later games.

i-Lo

Funny, that is literally a conversation that happened at Bioware, 6 years ago:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/04/22/mass-effect-3-creating-garrus.aspx

To their credit, they did female Turians after that.

I guess this is a topic for a different thread but how come females of all (IIRC) species tend follow the same pattern as human?

Smaller and slimmer build than males?
Selective (Human) Feminine features (doe eyes/bigger lips/breasts etc)?

In nature, there are myriad species where the females are far larger than their male counter part. Makes me wonder if they did just for the sake of romance (i.e. make them relate-able to humans).

Ratros

Well I mean, they're aliens they created, why not just go nuts and give them double the amount of limbs or something? Maybe they talk about this on the GI video, can't watch it rn.

Wish Bioware's designers would just go all out with the (intelligent) alien designs. Different colored humanoids are so boring. ME1 had the right idea, but now that I think about it, I can't really remember seeing many Hanar around in the later games.

There are some technical complications actually. Asari, Turian and Human characters actually share the same base body model (and motion set) in previous games, for the reason of reducing workload on the game engine (and efforts needed for the development team). They are, literally, human characters with different color schemes and decorations. The same logic explains the lack of non-humanoids figures in game as well: the more interactions we have on the scene involving a Hanar, Elcor or Keeper, the more expensive man-hours Bioware have to spend on development, and the less frame rate we get playing on our machines.

I was hoping that in this generation additional capabilities from new consoles would help Bioware build a truly diversified universe where every species will receive fair treatment in the game no matter how many legs they have, however obviously I was wrong. They can't even get the facial expressions right.

P.S. I do not recall if Krogan uses the same base model in the game, though. And I believe that I read it somewhere that Volus takes their current form for the sake of easier development and better performance, too.

Lime

The quantity of stuff that seems to need work would be one hell of a lot of reworking. I'd love for this to be the game I wanted it to be but from a business perspective surely it makes much more sense to cut their losses and move on to a sequel or different IP.

it's not going to happen and it's basically a non-answer, but at least they are aware of it and intend to do some post-launch support.

BigAl1992

I don't know where the hell they're going to begin. Animation is one hell of a timesink to put resources in, so that's one major issue to fix, if at all. The technical aspects of the game need major work still, as it's managed to look both polished AND unfinished all at the same time graphically, which is really saying something, and that's on top of other patches for the game, support for the multiplayer, and finally any DLC that comes out for the singleplayer.

Yes.

They used the shitty CC that doesn't even let you tweak details of the face to populate their game.

So every body ends up looking really similar.

In the leaked alpha, the NPC had a unique face with great animation that was mocapped.

The current state of the game feels like they quickly had to replace all the characters and animations, and used a shitty CC for that.

Depressing.

The ones that don't use the CC usually end up being bald crappy dudes with ps2 textures.

I've only watched a few hours, so the full game might be different, but I saw far too many of those to be acceptable in my book out of the little I've seen.

I don't understand. If they already had it mocapped and animated well in the past, why would they deliberately go back and iterate to fuck it up?

I don't know where the hell they're going to begin. Animation is one hell of a timesink to put resources in, so that's one major issue to fix, if at all. The technical aspects of the game need major work still, as it's managed to look both polished AND unfinished all at the same time graphically, which is really saying something, and that's on top of other patches for the game, support for the multiplayer, and finally any DLC that comes out for the singleplayer.

&, strangely enough, this is exactly the same problem ffxv had. the result of multiple teams not on the same page? :) ...

BigAl1992

&, strangely enough, this is exactly the same problem ffxv had :) ...

Well that's correct, and I've no doubt Bioware will be itching to fix that, but it's the character animations on all fronts that get me more. I can live with a buggy game I managed to plow through Fallout 3 and Skyrim on PS3, which says a lot about my patience with games, but I'm not going to put up with a game that feels like a step backwards in several departments when I compare it to its previous iterations in the franchise. If anything, I'd prefer if they'd stayed in the milky way and gave us a Mass Effect game 600 years AFTER ME3. At least then I'd feel more comfortable with the direction this game would've taken.

All of this made me want to watch other Mass Effect games and check to see if I remembered them correctly. So I youtubed bunch of videos. They have terrible face animations but the lines were stitched together in much more believable way. Combine that with better dialogues and fantastic line delivery and it does start to feel like Andromeda is a step back. Moreover, I was taken aback by how good the camera work is in Suicide Mission and even during the Sovereign's invasion of Citadel in Mass Effect 1. I hope there are epic moments like those in this game.

Bioware has always had stiff models (dialogue and storylines have always been their strong point) and jank, but this is some other shit.

I'm really disappointed. I hate saying EA is responsible, but I can't look past the fact that since EA took over the quality of Bioware games has slowly gone downhill.

BUT their "downhill" means putting them at above average to most other devs... its just disappointing because these are the people that gave me Baldur's Gate 1/2, KOTOR, Jade Empire, Dragon Age, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom