• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Hat In Time releases October 7 on PC, Xbone, and PS4

RockmanBN

Seems like Jontron voices multiple Move. He voiced a penguin in an older build and now he's voicing another character going by the Gamexplain video.

BBboy20

The problem is it infects any discussion about this game. Look at this topic. Like half of it is just bitching about JonTron's Cameo rather than anything else regarding the game. People are coming in here just to post and complain about JonTron. Like, we get it. But some people want to actually play the game too.
170515110556-charlottesville-lee-monument-spencer-protests-0513-full-169.jpg

The "white stock" in action.

Seriously, folks: don't blame Americans who feel like their lives are on the line.

Vimes

The problem is it infects any discussion about this game. Look at this topic. Like half of it is just bitching about JonTron's Cameo rather than anything else regarding the game. People are coming in here just to post and complain about JonTron. Like, we get it. But some people want to actually play the game too.

I backed this thing and have been hyped for years, and this business bums the fuck out of me. It's not so much about JonTron's presence, but what it says about the priorities of the devs who I trusted with my money and goodwill.

I was looking forward to thursday and now I just feel tired.

AAA is nothing but lootboxes and the next generation of indies are 4chan edgelords. If I didn't have a serious backlog I'd be mulling dropping games entirely right now.

TDLink

170515110556-charlottesville-lee-monument-spencer-protests-0513-full-169.jpg

The "white stock" in action.

Seriously, folks: don't blame Americans who feel like their lives are on the line.

This is what I'm talking about. Yeah it's terrible. I'm not advocating any of that shit at all okay. Hell my grandfather was a holocaust survivor so I know very well about the evil of Nazis. But this video game is a cute and fun platformer that is not trying to make a political statement. Why do we have to drag down every topic about it with this shit?

I backed this thing and have been hyped for years, and this business bums the fuck out of me. It's not so much about JonTron's presence, but what it says about the priorities of the devs who I trusted with my money and goodwill.

I was looking forward to thursday and now I just feel tired.

AAA is nothing but lootboxes and the next generation of indies are 4chan edgelords. If I didn't have a serious backlog I'd be mulling dropping games entirely right now.

Aren't the devs of this game scandinavian? Are they even aware of the "controversy" here? I haven't seen anyone outside of GAF complain about this... and it seems to pervade all conversation about the game here.

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
Driving 4.5 hours on Friday to play it with my buddy. We decided 4 years ago that we were going to play it together and a bit of a drive isn't going to change that. He's actually building a full desktop pc inside a real GameCube which should be ready in time for launch (STX, 1050ti, 2.5" 850 ssd, etc).
Edit:
Aren't the devs of this game scandinavian? Are they even aware of the "controversy" here? I haven't seen anyone outside of GAF complain about this... and it seems to pervade all conversation about the game here.
As far as I know, the team is spread out internationally and Jonas (MekuCube) is the only one that is from around there.
Https://ahatintime.gamepedia.com/Developers

Skittles

"Guys please, just let me enjoy my video game without being inconvenienced with real world issues"

"Guys please, just let me enjoy my video game without being inconvenienced with real world issues"

Maybe it should be a separate thread because Jontron inclusion in the game bothers me a lot and I feel like a release date thread isnt a suitable thread to spread that news or to discuss it with people interested in the matter.

Game looks great, looks like it'll be solid experience. Early demos seemed to show the game on the right track.

I'll not be buying it though, due to JonTron, which is a shame. Don't care if he doesn't get a cut, still features his work.

Game looks great, looks like it'll be solid experience. Early demos seemed to show the game on the right track.

I'll not be buying it though, due to JonTron, which is a shame. Don't care if he doesn't gerlt a cut, still featurea his work.

I'm going to turn voices off (because I backed the game). But Gears for Breakfast should definitely speak about the issue.

TDLink

Yes?

We play video games, and consume entertainment in general, to escape from reality and find enjoyment in our lives.

I'm not ignorant of what's going on in the world, in fact I'm pretty well informed in general and enjoy talking about news (much of which these days is horrible). But sometimes I want that escapism video games bring me.

It'd be one thing if the devs made the comments Jon Tron made, or committed some sort of terrible crime. But that's not the case at all.

It's one guy who made some awful comments like 6 months ago who is barely involved with this project -- only offering a voice cameo, that most people aren't going to realize. In fact, I wasn't even aware of this shitstain or what he sounded like until all the people complaining here.

BBboy20

Why do we have to drag down every topic about it with this shit?
...because fascism is returning with a vengeance? That we are living something similar to what Germany/Europe went through during the 1930s? Like, history teaches us that this will lead to massive bloodshed and those who are aware of this are freaking the fuck about that.

Lijik

ironically by being weirdly upset that a small handful of people were wondering if jontron was still in the game or not tdlink has effectively steered the discussion to be more about jontron's inclusion than it was before their first post in the thread

Yes?

We play video games, and consume entertainment in general, to escape from reality and find enjoyment in our lives.

I'm not ignorant of what's going on in the world, in fact I'm pretty well informed in general and enjoy talking about news (much of which these days is horrible). But sometimes I want that escapism video games bring me.

It'd be one thing if the devs made the comments Jon Tron made, or committed some sort of terrible crime. But that's not the case at all.

It's one guy who made some awful comments like 6 months ago who is barely involved with this project -- only offering a voice cameo, that most people aren't going to realize. In fact, I wasn't even aware of this shitstain or what he sounded like until all the people complaining here.

His comments are as racists today as they were in 6 months. There's a reason why people complain: raise awareness and get him out.
Not everyone just want to shrug and deal with it.

JonnyKong

Anyone know when the reviews for this drop? I'm very interested in buying it, but watching gameplay videos lately makes it look a bit meh.

If you don't like it, then bring it up with a mod instead of bellyaching in the thread.

Yukinari

I mean if i was being honest i would not support Hat in Time because Mecha is a terrible person to not only talk to but is well known in the TF2 community for blackmailing contributors on his server and stealing things people made for him. Goes even as far as to bitch at Valve for breaking his mods.

Kind of amazing he was even able to assemble a team to make a finished product knowing his past.

SpiceRacz

...because fascism is returning with a vengeance? That we are living something similar to what Germany/Europe went through during the 1930s? Like, history teaches us that this will lead to massive bloodshed and those who are aware of this are freaking the fuck about that.

tenor.gif

I'm kind of in the position too that the JonTron stuff is overblown. I mean, people can do whatever they want with this, but literally listening to him voice a small NPC you can skip over and someone who had no role in the development of this game besides that is silly. They probably got a lot of people to do the work already and paid them a small amount ages ago, and honestly if you try to avoid everything which has even the smallest involvement of people with bigoted views, you're probably not going to be consuming much entertainment media honestly.

A work does take on a life beyond the people who made it, and like JonTron didn't even make this game even or have anything to do with its development really. It's not like JonTron is getting paid for sales of this game or anything either, he probably got paid a flat sum years ago.

I think there's a point in standing for what you believe in, and then making a mountain out of an ant of a problem.

I think one of the biggest problems for the devs is the parallel with the other recent incident. Playtonic was in the exact same scenario, but decided to take a stand and remove him. It unfortunately looks even worse, as they can't uphold the responsibility that's been established by their peers.

That said, it's likely the devs feel trapped between the two sources of negative press. It's probable that he voiced the lines for free as he did with Yooka-Laylee, but removing him would cause a huge uproar from the gross part of the internet. I'd also assume that, if they announced they were removing him right after Playtonic, they would dodged or split a lot of the negative press. But now its been long enough that they would get hit will the full whiplash or racist idiots.

Also Jontron was the celebrity endorsement for the game, so he does have something to do with the image of the game for most people.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
This actually looks good. Keeping an eye out for reviews and impressions

VLiberty

People are not buying a game they're interested in because a certain voice actor of a certain minor charachter said something bad in the past.

wow

Did you know De Niro and Jim Carrey said vaccines are dangerous? stop watching their movies while you're it.
I don't know if I would be watching/playing/listening/reading anything at all if I had to skip every work that has been partially made by someone who said something I didn't like.

Cramoss

This so much. I'm so tired of seeing political shit plaguing almost every fucking thread about a certain game instead of discussing the game itself.

The second I see some of this shit I just leave, but it still sucks since I wanted to see comments on the actual game.

This so much. I'm so tired of seeing political shit plaguing almost every fucking thread about a certain game instead of discussing the game itself.

The second I see some of this shit I just leave, but it still sucks since I wanted to see comments on the actual game.
Again, reach out to a mod if it bothers you so much.

Renna Hazel

I really want to support this game since it's a 3D platformer but it's really annoying that after all the Wii U talk, there is no Nintendo version. I expect this game to mostly bomb on the other two platforms so it's probably only a matter of time before it's announced for Switch. Maybe I'll wait...

Greedings

Jesus this thread. People talking about fascism because some twat voices a fucking penguin. Gaf is a parody of itself.

The release date is unfortunate. The lack of a Switch version or a WiiU version is kinda killing it for me. I was down for this game like 3 years ago, but all my hype evaporated slowly and surely.

People are not buying a game they're interested in because a certain voice actor of a certain minor charachter said something bad in the past.

wow

Did you actually listen to what JonTron said that made a lot of people say "fuck that guy" to begin with?

Spouting racism remarks like wealthy black people commit more crimes than poor white people and refusing immigrants to come to the US is more than just saying something "bad". I don't blame people not wanting to support anything this guy has a hand in, even voicing a minor character.

Ganado

I backed this game a long time ago and it looks fun, but graphically looks really bad. I hate how it looks.
Also, they should've gone with gibberish BK/YL style voices tbh

PSqueak

Banned
Jesus this thread. People talking about fascism because some twat voices a fucking penguin. Gaf is a parody of itself.

Hey buddy, we are voting with our wallets here, jontron is in this piece of shit, then they're not getting my or some other's money, you don't like that people are free to trash the people involved in this game, then you must not be a fan of free speech or the free market.

Too bad that POS is still on the game, because i wanted to give it a shot.

petran79

Banned
Keeping Jontron in is gonna give it free publicity just because of the way Playtonic handled announcing his removal.

If playtonic said nothing then some people wouldnt even know Jon was in the game until they already bought it and played 4 worlds of it. (I think hes in world 4 i forgot)

They should just remove him from the ending credits

Blam

For $20 I'm gladly able to wait 4 days for this.

e:Seriously get over the one person voicing in it. It's gonna be a minimal role just like the toilet fucking was in Yooka-Laylee. It's still good to know people will blow shit out of proportion for no reason to just derail a thread.

mazillion

They should just remove him from the ending credits
Nah remove him entirely.

Just that fact that he part of a video game is only going to give him more attention, status/"credibility", whatever you want to call it. I don't want kids following jontron because they heard he was in a video game. I refuse to contribute to that.

robotrock

Banned
Sorry, I wanted the dude with the horny avatar to elaborate about why GAF is a parody of itself. Sorry folks won't do it again!

Top Bottom