• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A look at Youtube trailer views for E3 2016

Aters

Damn GoW is THAT popular? I thought it was a nice trailer watching the live stream, but I had no idea it would surpress UC4, crazy.

Id say the weirdest thing is that the Sound of Silence trailer for Gears is at 16 million views, but the E3 gameplay I dont think has broken 1 million.
I think one of the reasons is Microsoft and its strange behavior about some E3 trailers/demos. They didn't put GeoW gameplay on their official Youtube channel and you should search for it on other channels.

Man the reactions to the new GOW has been amazing, crazy amount of views and people are loving it, just proves that publishers shouldn't be afraid to shake up their "proven" formulas.

SSM couldn't ask for a better reception.

Bio4 already initiated this zeitgeist.

I think the sudden interest in GoW and Norse lore in general is because of Thor 2: The Dark World.

GoW has always had a huge following - ppl were immediately hooked by the gameplay for 1 and 2, especially casuals among the PS2 crowd. With enough hype, ppl will notice the latest looking all badass and come back.

GoW was Sony's juggernaut title before Uncharted was. The views shouldnt be surprising considering the wait for a new one and success of the PS4.

Id say the weirdest thing is that the Sound of Silence trailer for Gears is at 16 million views, but the E3 gameplay I dont think has broken 1 million.

Not surprised at Halo Wars 2 views, despite how many people love to shit on it, a lot of people really liked the first one.

The Gears 'Sound of Silence' trailer was definitely an ad. It has 16 million views but only 65k likes, which is a tiny number for a big franchise. MS would not be happy with only 0.4% of views liking the trailer if it weren't an ad.

I'll try to compile spreadsheet of views tomorrow so we can try to work out what kind of ratio is typical for trailers listed without ads. I was going to do this last week but didn't have time.

danthefan

I'm not really bothered by the page views but I haven't seen most of these so thanks a lot OP for putting them all in one place.

I've done a quick and dirty summary of most (not all; I'm out of time, sorry) of the current view counts and likes of each video. Yellow marks are where the views were bolstered by ads:

Cl9anIQWkAAdaX2.jpg

Seems fair to say that most game videos have a like ratio of 1-2 percent, and anything above 2 percent seems like a very positive ratio.

Some of the videos with low view counts I have not assumed that they have been run as ads.

DKHF

I've done a quick and dirty summary of most (not all; I'm out of time, sorry) of the current view counts and likes of each video. Yellow marks are where the views were bolstered by ads:

Seems fair to say that most game videos have a like ratio of 1-2 percent, and anything above 2 percent seems like a very positive ratio.

Some of the videos with low view counts I have not assumed that they have been run as ads.
Wow a KH collection has more views than FFXV.

Battlefield 1 is now over 10 million views and GoW is over 11 million. Zelda catching up with Watch Dogs 2 as well. Still find this kind of stuff interesting. I'm really surprised at the legs on GoW.

I found this thoroughly interesting last year. Anyone interested in having a similar topic for this E3? I might if no-one else is able, although it may be a bit delayed as I'm expecting to have a busy week at work when E3 drops.

I found this thoroughly interesting last year. Anyone interested in having a similar topic for this E3? I might if no-one else is able, although it may be a bit delayed as I'm expecting to have a busy week at work when E3 drops.

Me. I'm even thinking of doing a multi-day tracking to see which trailers has the highest growth and traction but no promises.

Me. I'm even thinking of doing a multi-day tracking to see which trailers has the highest growth and traction but no promises.

Dude, I've only just seen this! Not sure I can help too much on the multi-day tracker although that does sound super interesting. Are you thinking like maybe how the views track in the first 7 or 10 days, for example?

Also, I wonder if there's a reliable way to identifying if a trailer has been running as an ad. Last year I did it based on assumptions (and my somewhat limited experience) where trailers had a very low percentage of likes, but that cannot apply all the time as there will be exceptions.

Watch Dogs 2 at the top (at the time of thread creation) is extremely funny.

It was bolstered by ads from the beginning. As in, it would play before other videos on YouTube as an advert, and each and every one would count as a view.

Top Bottom