• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Nintendo Switch has been taken apart

kvothe232

Very nicely packed, love the look, it also looks incredibly simple to tear down. Can't wait for internal specs confirmation now, these last weeks before the launch are so entertaining.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Guys. The reddit thread had this there

http://m.imgur.com/uLF2CUq

Screenshot showing the chip of the new shield and switch

I wonder what's the source for the Shield 2017 picture.

Is that the pascal chip?

uLF2CUq.png

The title says Shield 2017 SoC.

Also notice that both chips use A2 in the codes.

Edit: and yeah, manufactured within 2 weeks from each other.

Why do people say things like this? There is a 0% chance the chip in the Shield is the same on as in the Switch

They are clueless and want to paint the bleakest picture possible for Switch.

Unless someone knows the customisation's Nintendo have made to the chips and the confirmed final clock speeds, we know nothing more than we did this time yesterday.

I wonder what's the source for the Shield 2017 picture.

The title says Shield 2017 SoC.

Also notice that both chips use A2 in the codes.

Edit: and yeah, manufactured within 2 weeks from each other.

In Nvidia parlance, -A2 is just the revision of the chip, like a version number. Both chips are version "A2", but version of WHAT is what you should be concerned about here.

I mean if you take the numbers as production dates they are similar and both are revision A2 so it's something lol

Ah yeah that's interesting. So the new Shield TV chips were manufactured 3 weeks after the Switch chips. Are we sure these photos aren't from a devkit?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
In Nvidia parlance, -A2 is just the revision of the chip, like a version number. Both chips are version "A2", but version of WHAT is what you should be concerned about here.

I mentioned A2 because earlier in the thread there was a speculation about it. This proves that A2 is used for a revision of Tegra X1 at least in the Shield case.

opricnik

Banned
This and the same A2 stuff we get from the 2017 Nvidia Shield makes me think it's just the same shit.

So do we have game tests runs on 2017 Shield TV?

It would be nice for comparisons atleast.

Edit:
looking reviews of 2017 shield makes me Switch isnt android because it has very good UI and bunch of media apps in it already on launch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8xV2yqtNOU

edit 2 :
man Shield tv looks sexy as fuck like switch itself. Both X1 devices are pretty small and looking hot.

Schnozberry

Ah yeah that's interesting. So the new Shield TV chips were manufactured 3 weeks after the Switch chips. Are we sure these photos aren't from a devkit?

I posted the same thing on the last page. If the chips were manufactured late July, my guess is this is a Summer Devkit before the most recent revision. It also doesn't picture the large aluminum chassis/heat spreader that computerbild.de found when they took one apart a few days ago.

I posted the same thing on the last page. If the chips were manufactured late July, my guess is this is a Summer Devkit before the most recent revision. It also doesn't picture the large aluminum chassis/heat spreader that computerbild.de found when they took one apart a few days ago.

True. I think we should wait until somebody opens a confirmed retail device.

KAL2006

Banned
I remember reading Pascal is 30℅ more power efficient than Maxwell. Let's say the current Switch is underclocked 50% in portable mode and still needs active cooling. Can we not underclock it by 80% in a future revision that has a Pascal chip so we then wouldn't need active cooling in portable mode which allows way better battery life

LordOfChaos

If anything.
It is weird that the SoC don't have a Nintendo branding.
It would have branding if they owned the chip design.

I've said a few times, their self admitted 250 people working 2 years on the Switch (including making a bespoke API and physics library and OS integration) doesn't mean a fully stock part, but it would be far from enough to majorly revamp the chip either. It's going to be more Nvidia IP than Nintendo, and likely leaning more heavily towards the former than it has in a decade if not always.

Doesn't sound like Nvidia wants to go to as far extremes as AMD on semi-custom products, while AMD made that one of their selling points. Nvidia also doesn't licence out their IP, as Microsoft got burned on in the og Xbox, and Sony in the PS3.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

There is not really time to have the chips manufactured in the second week of July delivered, the devkits manufactured and the devkits to reach also the devs in NA and/or Europe within the same month.

NeOak

wpxcvJU.jpg

Here's comparison between Nvidia Shield 2017.

Pretty much confirms its Maxwell not Pascal

LOL

Packaging means nothing unless the codes on the chip can be read.

Fail.

Useless piece of info for you folks; the QR code on the eMMC breakout board gives the following code:

EMC209620048

No trace of it on the internet, so it's likely some kind of internal stock-keeping code used by Nintendo or Foxconn.

That is for the manufacturing machines that gather the components to put on the board. Purely for Foxconn to keep track of inventory.

I interviewed at a company that made such machines and they explained how it worked.

If anything.
It is weird that the SoC don't have a Nintendo branding.
It would have branding if they owned the chip design.

They don't own the design. NVIDIA doesn't license the Geforce IP.

timshundo

So we're back to the maxwell pascal shield wars, even though we've seen the console, we've seen what the games look like, we've seen with the soc is capable of, and we've heard all of the real life, first hand impressions about how the graphics feel impressive for a portable/handheld...

kami_sama

Like always this is at most speculation. Until we see the teardown from computerbild or someone else, we can make conclusions.
But I still think I think a July date is a little off for a retail unit, most likely a early dev-kit, I hope, I want the ram to go from 4 to 6, I hope the capcom thing was after this was manufactured.

z0m3le

Banned
last letter looks an 'H' too.

75nc.png

SEC 531
K4F6E30
4HBMGCH

hmm I was leaning towards thraktor's guess, but that second symbol doesn't look like a 4 to me at all in this pick. The second line I don't think matters... I'm not even sure about the last "30" digits, could be "83" in this picture... Maybe this is a bad compression?

Schnozberry

There is not really time to have the chips manufactured in the second week of July delivered, the devkits manufactured and the devkits to reach also the devs in NA and/or Europe within the same month.

I don't know what the timeline was on Devs receiving the kits. But most of the information we have was based on information taken from kits that were manufactured in July, including the documentation that Eurogamer got hold of that was later released online.

According to several sources, there was a later revision of the kit from the October/November timeframe that were overall more powerful. Whether that means final hardware revisions or leaps forward in the SDK remains to be seen.

jonno394

you can see it in the top left of this picture here

hmm I was leaning towards thraktor's guess, but that second symbol doesn't look like a 4 to me at all in this pick. The second line I don't think matters... I'm not even sure about the last "30" digits, could be "83" in this picture... Maybe this is a bad compression?

They use two different fonts on the same module, as seen in this example:
12GbLPDDR4-1.jpg

Where it goes G4G4, that font does look vaguely like what's on the Switch RAM.

LordOfChaos

you can see it in the top left of this picture here

I was going to point out that the thermal gunk on the camera facing side of the heat sink also indicated a large aluminum slab would be covering it like in the other teardown, but yeah, also the fact that it's right in the picture, lol

Seems like they're doing the Surface Pro 4 cooling thing with semi-passive heat to a large slab as well.

maxresdefault.jpg

Always thought that half passive, half active design was super cool.

I keep getting the nagging feeling that there's a whole lot of thought put into cooling for a half clocked Shield TV SoC...But we don't know enough yet.

Xdrive05

Yeah, I'm still thinking we might not have the chips right either. The compression is making it hard to tell what's a 3 or an 8 or a 0. And that 2nd line, 2nd digit also doesn't look like a 4 to me.

Why's it so hard to get clearer pics of this stuff? Lol

And it could also be an older kit unit as others have said. The more answers, the more questions. :-(

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
It does not work like that. The numbers matter. If it is the same as the new Shield, cool. But without the numbers on the heatsink at least, it's pure horseshit.

Real life performance also matters, and we know what we've seen so far. If you're expecting the next gen of Nvidia tech then you're literally hoping against reality at this point.

Switch will be amazing, but it's appreciably sub-Xbox One in power. That's fine.

opricnik

Banned
It does not work like that. The numbers matter. If it is the same as the new Shield, cool. But without the numbers on the heatsink at least, it's pure horseshit.

It is cool but im sure if it was pascal we were speculating most people would call somebody like you crazy.
Whatever

NeOak

Real life performance also matters, and we know what we've seen so far. If you're expecting the next gen of Nvidia tech then you're literally hoping against reality at this point.

Switch will be amazing, but it's appreciably sub-Xbox One in power. That's fine.

Hoping? I just want to see the chip in the new Shield and compare.

Also, you seem to be ignorant of what exactly is "next gen" from NVIDIA. Pascal is a Maxwell revision, no matter how others try to spin it.

"Next gen" is Volta, and that isn't ready.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I think the mobo should have the Nintendo brand on it. Right? maybe it's a dev kit.

Oh I'm sure it will say Nintendo somewhere on the motherboard. iFixit will make it clearer.

Hoping? I just want to see the chip in the new Shield and compare.

Also, you seem to be ignorant of what exactly is "next gen" from NVIDIA. Pascal is a Maxwell revision, no matter how others try to spin it.

"Next gen" is Volta, and that isn't ready.

Again, you're wasting your time. We have performance measurements, and it looks more like a custom Maxwell.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-switch-spec-analysis

So we're back to the maxwell pascal shield wars, even though we've seen the console, we've seen what the games look like, we've seen with the soc is capable of, and we've heard all of the real life, first hand impressions about how the graphics feel impressive for a portable/handheld...

So you're judging Switch's capabilities based on unfinished games and Wii U ports?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I think the mobo should have the Nintendo brand on it. Right? maybe it's a dev kit.

[IM]https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/ewv3yZPOujCRpKEj.huge[/IMG]
There's the Switch internal development code (HAC) all over the board, but that's it.

Top Bottom