• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A project to give all Morrowind NPCs voices with AI

This is the future. With maybe as well actual AI discussions besides “I hear there is an elvish cemetery near the Forrest”’in a loop

Sentenza

Can the AI just replicate male sounding voices?
...I'm not sure what you are exactly asking?

But in general "cloning" the voice timber of an existing person isn't too complicate these days. That's precisely why "deepfakes" are becoming an increasing concern, incidentally.

Last edited:

Exede

...I'm not sure what you are exactly asking?

But in general "cloning" the voice timber of an existing person isn't too complicate these days. That's precisely why "deepfakes" are becoming an increasing concern, incidentally.
In the vid i haven't heard a female voice, that's why i was wondering if it's possible or not

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Voice actors all over the world right now:

sad-cat.gif

Tams

Most of the examples in the video are in fact better than a lot of "amateur voice acting" often involved in these types of projects.

There's something ever so slightly off with these AI generated voices. The ever so slight pause between words that used to be terrible is there. But that said, even with that, they still sound so much better than most of the amateur voice recordings that have a better flow but are just so out of place.

Can the AI just replicate male sounding voices?

There's quite literally female voices in the video.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Legitimately sounds better than the English VO for Atomic Heart.

Sentenza

This is the future. With maybe as well actual AI discussions besides “I hear there is an elvish cemetery near the Forrest”’in a loop
I wonder how long it will take before we'll start to see bigger commercial projects implementing this tech on a larger scale.

Kikorin

This is honestly insane. Considering lot of voice actors (at least in Italy, but I guess pretty much everywhere) have to voice games without seeing the scene, but just following the waveform, result usually are not different from these, especially for NPCs (a good example is Hogwarts Legacy). Probably in the near future indie studios will use AI for things like that, considering how fast technology is improving.

Last edited:

Sentenza

This is honestly insane. Considering lot of voice actors (at least in Italy, but I guess pretty much everywhere) have to voice games without seeing the scene, but just following the waveform, result usually are not different from these, especially for NPCs, a good example is Hogwarts Legacy. Probably in the near future indie studios will use AI for things like that, considering how fast technology is improving.
It's also worth stressing as what rate this type of tech is improving.
What's "mostly serviceable" today could be basically flawless barely a couple of years down the line. Especially when specifically trained for this type of use.

kuncol02

Banned
I wonder how long it will take before we'll start to see bigger commercial projects implementing this tech on a larger scale.
It's already used. Both Luke and Vader voices were AI generated in Mandalorian and Kenobi series.

From other cool uses of AI in tech. Lipsync in Cyberpunk 77 was generated with AI help

Kikorin

It's also worth stressing as what rate this type of tech is improving.
What's "mostly serviceable" today could be basically flawless barely a couple of years down the line. Especially when specifically trained for this type of use.

True. Same for AI that make art. I understand all the controversy by artists and that right now, sometimes, you can see lines and parts of the drawigs that are basically the same from the references, but just in few months they made so much improvements that if you think this in span of 5-10 years, I can't imagine where AIs will be.

Best case scenario are human artists that integrate AIs in their workflow to have results impossible to replicate now in timespan a lot smaller.

In some years we could start to have what Todd Howard was promising years ago with Oblivion. AI are the most exciting tecnology these years in the tech space IMHO, in every field you use it (for example upscaling instead of native rendering) results are impressive and we are just starting.

Sentenza

It's already used. Both Luke and Vader voices were AI generated in Mandalorian and Kenobi series.
To be fair when I said "bigger commercial projects" I was thinking of/referring more to cases where this will be used for HOURS of content, rather than just "things that costed more", like a TV show where the tech is used for a bunch of lines.

EDIT- Also, for context it should be pointed that "AI-based voice over" is already used in commercial titles at a placeholder level for games in production:

Last edited:
Amazing, this has endless potential...
I assume you can train it to mimic existing voices? Let the player read a few voice clips when creating a character and then the main character speaks with your voice. Maximum immersion!

Oh and fully voiced Planescape Torment please!

Nintendo need to speak with GameFreak so they can add voice to the Pokemon franchise. if they can't be hecked to pay for voice acters.

Sentenza

Amazing, this has endless potential...
I assume you can train it to mimic existing voices?
You can, and you can also use AI to recite line with one voice and then change the timber and tone digitally (which is what's used for Deepfakes, for instance).

Obviously this can potentially come with a series of concerns about the ethical side of things: needed the full consent of the person you are cloning, eventually having to pay royalties to use their voice, etc, etc.

This will be an incredible tool for modders. Imagine continuing the civil war questline in Skyrim with The Moot actually happening, and either Elisef or Ulfric getting crowned High Queen / King with the actual (AI) voice actors.

Not the first time AI has voiced an Elder Scrolls game.

When Elder Scrolls Online first came out (or it may have just been the beta), a good portion of it was voiced by AI.

peronmls

It's called no talent if someone were AI generate everything and want money for said product. I guess it's fine for character creations.

Last edited:
Voice actors all over the world right now:

sad-cat.gif
I would love to see the face of that VA that demanded people to boycott Bayonetta 3 because she was replaced for being shit at her job after he realizes that even her profession is at risk with Ai...

She would probably demand that we don't buy/play games without human voice actors.

Roberts

I'm not sure voice actors should be concerned for now. This can be used for indie games that don't have the budget to record all the dialogue and don't do it anyway, but the big AA and AAA productions will not dare to use AI to do the VA, purely because of the backlash it will create.

Top Bottom