• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A question for my boys with beards and dry skin

I have had a beard since I was a teenager, but I also have dry skin on my face underneath it. The dandruff is a bit embarrassing bc I have to wear black for work. I have a thick beard, and truthfully I've neglected to tend to it besides washing in the shower. However, I'm tired of this problem and am ready to have a routine to fix it. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what products did you use to make it better?

Last edited:

thefool

It's no different than hair.
If you have dandruff, most likely beard oils to hydrate it won't be enough. I would start trying otc anti-fungals agents to see what work: Check for shampoos with zinc pyrithione, its weak but enough for some people, if it doesn't work just get shampoos with ketoconazole or piroctone olamine, very effective anti-fungal agents.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
You need to take care of your hair brother. I've tried a few products from beard brand that I've been happy with, but other brands are effective as well.

I assume you already tried anti-dandruff shampoo?

Just shave it, or at least trim it short. It would be easier to deal with dryness then.
I tried tea tree shampoo in the past. It's been a long time and my beard is longer. And it's really not even long just bery thick. Makes it harder to get to the skin that's why I've been complacent.
It's no different than hair.
If you have dandruff, most likely beard oils to hydrate it won't be enough. I would start trying otc anti-fungals agents to see what work: Check for shampoos with zinc pyrithione, its weak but enough for some people, if it doesn't work just get shampoos with ketoconazole or piroctone olamine, very effective anti-fungal agents.
I'll make note of this thank you

You need to take care of your hair brother. I've tried a few products from beard brand that I've been happy with, but other brands are effective as well.
I know it. Should have been doing this for a while. Thanks for the recommendation

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I know it. Should have been doing this for a while. Thanks for the recommendation
It takes time to show its efficacy. Another thing to look into is your shampoo/conditioner routine if you're using the same stuff on your head as your beard. I've got dry curly hair so I tend to avoid sulfates in my stuff. I skip the shampoo except for once every month or two, depending on the condition. I use hair oil. For my facial hair I've been using a softener and then the utility oil on my mustache to help train the direction of the hairs. I also picked up a specific boar bristle brush for my facial hair and a fine-toothed comb for the mustache.

It might sound overly complicated, but start small with one change at a time. Give it a few weeks to notice the difference. Add additional steps as needed for other improvements. I started first with the hair oil, then the conditioner/shampoo, then the beard stuff.

Last edited:
It takes time to show its efficacy. Another thing to look into is your shampoo/conditioner routine if you're using the same stuff on your head as your beard. I've got dry curly hair so I tend to avoid sulfates in my stuff. I skip the shampoo except for once every month or two, depending on the condition. I use hair oil. For my facial hair I've been using a softener and then the utility oil on my mustache to help train the direction of the hairs. I also picked up a specific boar bristle brush for my facial hair and a fine-toothed comb for the mustache.

It might sound overly complicated, but start small with one change at a time. Give it a few weeks to notice the difference. Add additional steps as needed for other improvements. I started first with the hair oil, then the conditioner/shampoo, then the beard stuff.
It sounds like a lot, but also something I'm willing to do now. In general, I'm lucky to have pretty good skin already, but I'm getting older and know I need to take care of it more. I just wasn't exactly ever taught to do so. Bit I'm making a change on it. Bc this having to wipe my chest of dandruff constantly so I don't get embarrassed is too much lol

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
It sounds like a lot, but also something I'm willing to do now. In general, I'm lucky to have pretty good skin already, but I'm getting older and know I need to take care of it more. I just wasn't exactly ever taught to do so. Bit I'm making a change on it. Bc this having to wipe my chest of dandruff constantly so I don't get embarrassed is too much lol
Yeah sounds like the two best things you can do are get your shampoo/conditioner routine down and add in some oil after your shower.

Doczu

Don't know how long your beard is, but trim it shorter for now, wash it with anti dandruf shampoo and keep it oiled to stop it from drying.
Is it cold outside where you live? Low temps dry your skin faster. Scarfs as a shield work great and keeps your neck skin from dehydrating.

Do you use some cream, gel or anything to style your hair? If so, stop using it and see for other (moister) options.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Figure It Out What GIF by CBC

Great post. I don't have my beard as long as I use to but i still occasionally notice skin flakes when rubbing my chin. It does add a taste layer when eating soup for example but i digress.

I should invest in some nice smelling good working beard oil but I hate oily fingers as I rub my beard a lot to appear like I'm into a deep introspective analysis from within a philosophical context.

Seriously though Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage advice is great and cold showers could help a lot as well.

I just dont like putting stuff on my body.

Btw. I think I'm prone to dry skin. Especially around this time a year I always had itchy/ashy shins. Since taking only cold showers since April or so none of that. It's amazing.

Last edited:
Is that something a dermatologist would need to diagnose?

In most cases, yes. A lot of time I had it on my scalp and I could just never figure out how to get rid of it and just ignored it and assumed it was just my skin or shitty commercial shampoos. Ever since I took a dermatological shampoo specifically for it that a doc prescribed I've been free of it. Perfect scalp, not even a small flake or dandruff on it. I still have to buy that shampoo tho every once in a while. Not saying you are in a similar position, just saying if none of the products or oils above help, you may have to consider visiting a dermatologist.

Dude, it's not a lot. I run a dime's worth of this stuff through my beard after every shower:

mountaineer-brand-beard-oil.jpeg

It's literally the only thing I put in it, and I get compliments from random strangers all the time for my beard. Buy a nice pair of beard scissors to snip wayward hairs, and an electric razor for your neck/cheeks. It's that simple - I'm baffled when random guys ask me what I do like it's some kind of wizardry when it's just basic maintenance.

8bitpill

Irish here and the sea salt runs in these veins making for a husk and dried out epidermis.

I've always had dried out skin. In the last fifteen years I've used a few products but these have worked the best.

Grandpa's Tar Bundle
61-cH7H3eEL._SL1032_.jpg

Pine Tar Bar Soap
81EB6B3EU4L._SL1500_.jpg

Lush Massage Bar
05014_d.jpg

Fish Oil
71AUC81WxbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Cremo Beard & Scruff Cream
71I4dczhBnL._SL1500_.jpg

All of these things have worked great for me. I know the fish oil one seems weird since it's not something you rub into your skin. I've found it works and overall I have less dry skin and dandruff.

As you can tell I enjoy the pine tar smell. It's strong but doesn't linger much after taking a shower.

The Shea butter bar works great when you work it into your beard. If you don't have time to apply the shea butter bar use the Cremo beard cream. It's quick and a little goes a long way. I got the cedar forest but would suggest a different scent if you're not a fan of that cedar smell.

Overall, just start taking care of your skin.

1aec7962defaeb45212f4f66312ecac866852bd2.gif

b0a1dba7a2dfb631b426b869b309f940c5f20ed9.gif

8d87f13d5246c75010b054735bef1b437891d7a6.gif

Last edited:
Irish here and the sea salt runs in these veins making for a husk and dried out epidermis.

I've always had dried out skin. In the last fifteen years I've used a few products but these have worked the best.

Grandpa's Tar Bundle
61-cH7H3eEL._SL1032_.jpg

Pine Tar Bar Soap
81EB6B3EU4L._SL1500_.jpg

Lush Massage Bar
05014_d.jpg

Fish Oil
71AUC81WxbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Cremo Beard & Scruff Cream
71I4dczhBnL._SL1500_.jpg

All of these things have worked great for me. I know the fish oil one seems weird since it's not something you rub into your skin. I've found it works and overall I have less dry skin and dandruff.

As you can tell I enjoy the pine tar smell. It's strong but doesn't linger much after taking a shower.

The Shea butter bar works great when you work it into your beard. If you don't have time to apply the shea butter bar use the Cremo beard cream. It's quick and a little goes a long way. I got the cedar forest but would suggest a different scent if you're not a fan of that cedar smell.

Overall, just start taking care of your skin.

1aec7962defaeb45212f4f66312ecac866852bd2.gif

b0a1dba7a2dfb631b426b869b309f940c5f20ed9.gif

8d87f13d5246c75010b054735bef1b437891d7a6.gif
Thank you for taking the time to write that. It was both entertaining and informative

No problem, hope it helps.

Also, your diet plays into this as well. Just make sure you're drinking enough water in the day, and eating things that aren't loaded with sodium.
Yeah I've been doing the sodium thing. Used to drink a gallon of water every day and I'm about to start back again. I do remember my skin looking more hydrated when I did

daveonezero

Banned
I assume you already tried anti-dandruff shampoo?

Just shave it, or at least trim it short. It would be easier to deal with dryness then.
You don’t want to put that on your face….

I’ve had a beard for a long time.

I’d say it’s more of a skin care thing and because of that a lot of good beard products like conditioners and oils are gold for your skin.

Or use a dedicated beard shampoo.

I have the dry skin but I don’t worry about it much. i know it would probably be solved by using my conditioner more and using oil more.

Also just brushing it and exfoliating with the boar hair brush will entice oils to come out of your skin.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Hair and beard are on my face so why dont use a good anti dry scalp shampoo for your beard?

And again: cold showers + all the above mentioned advice guess.

Easy on the shampoo though.

Last edited:
You don’t want to put that on your face….

I’ve had a beard for a long time.

I’d say it’s more of a skin care thing and because of that a lot of good beard products like conditioners and oils are gold for your skin.

Or use a dedicated beard shampoo.

I have the dry skin but I don’t worry about it much. i know it would probably be solved by using my conditioner more and using oil more.

Also just brushing it and exfoliating with the boar hair brush will entice oils to come out of your skin.
I just wanted to update and say in just a few days of using a boar brush and beard oil I'm seeing SO much difference. The flaking is way less and sometimes I'll scratch my beard with no flakes at all.

Thanks again to everyone that posted. You guys helped me a out a lot with something that I was really finding to be a bother and embarrassing. Preciate you boys

daveonezero

Banned
a good stuff brush is a game changer. That was the best gift I got a few years back was a high quality brush.

I usually just do that if I’m feeling itching.
Then standard routine is Using a good wash, brushing and then applying a nice moisturizer/conditioner is usually what I do. I don’t like oil much.

Top Bottom