• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A reason why I have a tendency to dislike PC games...

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Or maybe a better-suited title would be "Why I have a tendency to dislike playing games on a PC"

I got a decent computer a few weeks ago, I just recently had WinXp re-installed, everything clean, and all the latest drivers for my gfx card etc.
I decided to play RealMyst. I installed it and it ran without any problems. Everything ran fine for a couple of days, but then ONE DAY, it all changed. Whenever I tried to start the game, the screen flashed to black and then back to windows again. I've tried everything I can think of. Change OS compatibility mode, change screen resolution, change all kinds of graphical settings for the game, re-install the game.

I just don't get it. I didn't do anything different I can think of, and yet it suddenly refused to load. I DON'T GET IT, waaaaaaaaahhh... :(

BenT

This may or may not have something to do with your odd problem, but when you reinstall a malfunctioning program, make sure all prior traces of it are gone from your system ... as best as you can tell. Often, for example, the uninstaller won't remove configuration files, and those are precisely what can often cause problems like yours.

So, after uninstalling, make sure the program's folder is deleted. It often survives the uninstall since it contains config and save files. You might also want to scan your registry for pesky leftover references to the game/program , though that is a little more advanced and risky.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Synbios459:

Yes, got all the latest windows updates and my virus program is updated and runs a virus scan every other day. I did a scan for spyware just now. Still no luck. :(

BenT:

I uninstalled the game and removed all the folders that ended up being left. Then I re-installed the game, but it still doesn't work. I'm not sure how to scan my registry, so I won't attempt that.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Tre said:
Have you installed anything new from the last time it worked to the time it's crashing now?

Most certainly, yeah. Don't know how many and which ones though. :/
Maybe it would be possible to compare the dates when the folders where created or something, but then...I don't know when I installed Realmyst for the first time, since I've re-installed it a few times already...

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
TekunoRobby said:
REFORMAT

It does a computer good!

It's my last resort, but I did that only a few weeks ago. It shouldn't have to go that far...

EDIT: Anyway, I'm off to sleep now. If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to mention them in this thread. I'll try everything out tomorrow.

The most I could say then, is make sure you're running as little exterior programs as possible AND go to RealMyst's website and see if anyone else shares the same problem.

Lastly, Myst sucks ass anyway :p.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Don't let anyone else use your PC :D

I find that if I let people mess around on my PC bad things happen. I have rules for my daughter and her friends...because of past horrors.

Basically they can play games all they want on it, and surf the net etc.

BUT

There is a zero tolerance install rule. Absolutely NOTHING is installed without me knowing

Hellraizah

I also hate PC games, for the reason you mentionned, but also because, in retail world, PC games are a nightmare.

PC games + Dumb people who buy PC games = Anger

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Here is what you might need to do. use the systems disk cleanup. in Start>accessories>systemtools

This will clear out the games from your temp files that windows keeps. Basically Windows is lazy and will re-install with any of the old data if it sees it in the temp files...

BenT

Mr Pockets said:
Basically they can play games all they want on it, and surf the net etc.

BUT

There is a zero tolerance install rule. Absolutely NOTHING is installed without me knowing
... Except all the spyware average users pick up just from surfing the net with IE. Keep a spyware-cleaning util handy.

I love PC gaming. That said, I build my own so I know it's composed of quality components that'll never give hardware related crashes and I never use file sharing or the other pirate crapola. Use just the basic firewall on my router, this keeps me 100 percent virus free (do the occasional free virus scan on the internet to verify and AD-AWARE obviously + Mozilla). Virus programs are evil and totally unnecessary if you're a legit user (I used to just trash e-mail attachments without opening, but now RoadRunner automatically scans attachments with a program and kills viruses before forwarding to your inbox). Virus programs SUCK!

Top Bottom