• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A simple can help a sprinter....Fail a drug test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a sprinter gets busted for taking ExTenze...Wonder what Jimmy Johnson has to say about this???

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/more/04/22/doping.merritt.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

DENVER (AP) -- Olympic and world champion sprinter LaShawn Merritt accepted a provisional suspension after testing positive for a banned drug.

Merritt used an over-the-counter male enhancement product that contained substances that caused him to fail three successive tests from October to January, according to a release from lawyer Howard Jacobs on Thursday.

Merritt, who won Olympic gold medals in the 400 and as a member of the 4x400 relay in Beijing, said he hopes his family, friends and sponsors will forgive him for making "a foolish, immature and egotistical mistake." He will not compete until the case has been decided.

USA Track & Field CEO Doug Logan said in a release he was "disgusted by this entire episode."

"He has now put his entire career under a cloud and in the process made himself the object of jokes," Logan said. "In this day and age, a professional athlete should know better."

Merritt was recently notified that the presence of DHEA was the cause of his positive test. DHEA is short for dehydroepiandrosterone, which is a steroids precursor banned by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.

The product that Merritt took is called "ExtenZe," a person familiar with the case told The Associated Press. It's a product that promises male sexual enhancement.

The person spoke on the condition of the anonymity because the details of the case were supposed to remain confidential.

USADA confirmed the sprinter tested positive and had agreed not to compete until his case has been resolved. USADA said it would make further announcements after the investigation and case were complete.

The USADA process can last from weeks to months. Typically, an athlete guilty of a first-time doping violation receives a two-year suspension. USADA does have a precedent of giving more favorable terms to athletes who cooperate.

"It's hard to say at this point what the end result would be," Jacobs said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "But I think we can put forth a compelling case, and that it was inadvertent and the circumstances that led up to it."

"To know that I've tested positive as a result of a product that I used for personal reasons is extremely difficult to wrap my hands around," Merritt said in the release. "Any penalty that I may receive for my action will not overshadow the embarrassment and humiliation that I feel inside."

Over the years, Merritt has developed a robust rivalry with 2004 Olympic champion Jeremy Wariner, one of the best in track since no one can touch Usain Bolt in the 100 and 200.

Merritt held off Wariner for the gold in Beijing. Then, last summer at the world championships in Berlin, Merritt topped Wariner again, flying past Wariner on the final curve.

The latest news ends a period of relative quiet on the doping front in track. High-profile doping convictions in recent years have resulted in stripped results and suspensions for Marion Jones, Tim Montgomery and Justin Gatlin, among others.

"You've got to look at the facts of the case. This is different," said Jacobs, who represents many athletes in doping cases, including Jones and Montgomery. "In LaShawn's case, at the end of the day, I'd be surprised if anyone disputes what caused it. It's important that people try to recognize the difference and not lump them all into the same category."

DMczaf

0.jpg

Cyan

Banned
"To know that I've tested positive as a result of a product that I used for personal reasons is extremely difficult to wrap my hands around," Merritt said in the release.
So... it worked?

Canadian Extenze Commercial

Man : Male enhancement, do you mean Steroids
Women : No silly I mean Male Enhancement

Edit: forgot the silly woman laugh

hehehehehehehehe

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Am I the only one that wants to see an alternative branch of sports where every kind of enhancement, drugs, mechanical, etc, are allowed?

Imagine watching someone speed the 100m run in a few seconds, vault dozens of metres in the air, lift tonnes of weight...

I'm all for performance enhancing drugs of all kinds, in a completely separate branch. We'd push forward and develop the human body in incredible new ways whilst traditional sports would retain the purity and honesty of the natural form by allowing giving cheaters their own area to fully compete in.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Dani said:
Am I the only one that wants to see an alternative branch of sports where every kind of enhancement, drugs, mechanical, etc, are allowed?

Imagine watching someone speed the 100m run in a few seconds, vault dozens of metres in the air, lift tonnes of weight...

I'm all for performance enhancing drugs of all kinds, in a completely separate branch. We'd push forward and develop the human body in incredible new ways whilst traditional sports would retain the purity and honesty of the natural form by allowing giving cheaters their own area to fully compete in.

Check out some of the freaks in professional bodybuilding and get back to us.

Dani said:

We have that ....well sort off

steroids.jpg

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Dani said:

It's called Major League Baseball.

^^^ Spiderman123 doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. That's just pure hard work.

mre said:
It's called Major League Baseball.

^^^ Spiderman123 doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. That's just pure hard work.

are you kidding me ..some .ppl in this field more or less try anabolic steroids all the time.......calm down roid rage

Banned
industrian said:
Check out some of the freaks in professional bodybuilding and get back to us.
That helps his argument IMO. If Bodybuilders can do that with drugs, imagine a drug tolerant NFL or NBA.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
spiderman123 said:
are you kidding me ..some .ppl in this field more or less try anabolic steroids all the time.......calm down roid rage

I can tell that you've never shown your chiseled body in a competitive manner. If you had, you would know that bodybuilding is a sport of honour and integrity, and that the fine men and women that compete on the grandest stage of all would never lower themselves by using performance enhancing drugs.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
That helps his argument IMO. If Bodybuilders can do that with drugs, imagine a drug tolerant NFL or NBA.

My point was that bodybuilding as a sport has been reduced to a joke by drug abuse. There's still amateur bodybuilding that attempts to be drug-free. But in order to get the big money and recognition you have to compete with motherfuckers that are shooting up all sorts of shit in their body.

I've talked about this a million times with people who take the stance that performance-enhancing drugs should be legalised. I am forever against it because it'd take away the "magic" of special players and participants who have incredible natural talents and abilities that have been reinforced by training - not augmented by steroids, HGH and shit. That and the damage done to the athlete's bodies by use of drugs of course.

In a way you can sort of compare it to the modelling industry and their pursuit of skinny women. Would you rather see a natural looking woman modeling clothes or some stick figure?

mre said:
I can tell that you've never shown your chiseled body in a competitive manner. If you had, you would know that bodybuilding is a sport of honour and integrity, and that the fine men and women that compete on the grandest stage of all would never lower themselves by using performance enhancing drugs.

I can't tell whether your being sarcastic or genuine about this:lol

grumble

This might well turn into a steroid pro/con thread.

I'm against steroid use, for a couple of reasons. First, it just seems like cheating. I know it doesn't do everything for you, but it should be a competition of genetics and hard work, not who has the better chemist. These substances are dangerous and can have nasty side effects, and they should also not be encouraged among the normal population. They are illegal for a reason.

There's also the issue with the purity of the sport. What we watch when we see the olympics is the best of the best of our species competing in their chosen sport. We see their drive and determination pay off in (fairly) honest competition, and it inspires us to have some element of that same drive in our lives as well (though they might not be physical). If they pop crazy amounts of drugs, then that is totally lost. It just becomes a freakshow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom