• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A small rant about McDonalds drive thru.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recommend you look into lasik if your having trouble reading the menus, fellow gaffers.

Yea I'm not understanding the complaint. If the menu is hard to read then try harder, go back to elementary school or get some glasses. Reading is pretty fucking easy.

border

They have a small fry now which is cheaper. The regular fries is enough for 2 people. Also, drink water and you save a lot of money eating out.

While the Five Guys fries have always been expensive, at least they always gave you a giant sack full of fries. The problem always was that you don't necessarily need a giant sack full of fries.

I almost never order soda at fast food places, but so many people do that I presume they factor it into their price evaluation. Most people that pass up Five Guys probably do so because they think it's impossible to spend less than $10 in a single visit.

My order at Five Guys is almost always just a grilled cheese with extra bacon. Totally filling, usually comes out under $5. I love it, but I wish they had more reasonable pricing since the location near me was forced to shut down. Now the nearest Five Guys is easily 20 minutes away.

They have a small fry now which is cheaper. The regular fries is enough for 2 people. Also, drink water and you save a lot of money eating out.

Yeah a little version of any burger, small fries, and a water cup makes it more "affordable." Just under that $10 threshold.

lol the ketchup thing reminds me of chic fil a. But at least they ask if you want any.

"any dipping sauces?"
"yeah, ill take some ketchup"
"how many?"
"just a handful is good"
"no, we need to know an exact number."
"uhhhhh, 2."

Actual conversation I had with them

I worked at mcdonalds for 2 years and almost always on drive thru. I'd get caught at least once a day not asking how many ketchup packets they wanted or worse if I ever *asked* if they wanted ketchup. I always asked as long as a manager wasn't around, and just gave them a small handful.

Edit: also any time I ask how many ketchups the answer is always either "4" or "a handful". If I was in a bad mood i'd grab the biggest handful possible and just shove them in the bag.

lol the ketchup thing reminds me of chic fil a. But at least they ask if you want any.

"any dipping sauces?"
"yeah, ill take some ketchup"
"how many?"
"just a handful is good"
"no, we need to know an exact number."
"uhhhhh, 2."

Actual conversation I had with them

This just proves you have teeny-tiny hands.

h1nch

I hate how some McDonalds locations around here have two drive thru ordering screens that are in-line (that is, not side by side)

It confuses the shit out of ppl because 99% of the time the 1st screen is not being used.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Taco Bell is no different.

Went recently for the first time in like a decade. I could not believe the absolute clusterfuck of a menu that greeted me at the ordering speaker. I gave up super quickly trying to suss anything out myself and went with a #1...whatever that may be. It was insane and I made a mental note to look up my order on my phone prior if I ever tried that again.

Yea I'm not understanding the complaint. If the menu is hard to read then try harder, go back to elementary school or get some glasses. Reading is pretty fucking easy.

It's bad design if you have to decipher a menu like it was terms of service. But the OP problem is that they don't like change and refuse to accept something different even if it is an improvement. Drive thru's are the perfect place to vote with your eyes, big pictures so you can quickly choose what your stomach wants.

Absinthe

Bougie ones do, but legit (Like, y'all-better-know-how-to-order-in-Spanish legit) Mexican taco trucks in the heart of LA? Cash only.

Damn right! It's a good practice to at least keep $20 in your wallet... esp for Tacos

$2.60 minimum for an order of fries? I have to feel like this is what is dragging Five Guys down.

Even if you order the smallest burger, the smallest fries, and the smallest drink, it's impossible to spend less than $8.

Their grilled cheese is godly, though.

I stopped going because of this. There is no way I'm paying $10-12 for a fast food equivalent burger and fries/drink.

I have to imagine there's at least couple readily-available knives in a McDonald's kitchen. It's never been a big deal for us to order a Whopper cut-in-half at Burger King.
There isn't. Everything is pre-packed. Only thing knives were used for was cutting up grilled and crispy chicken for salads and wraps. Even then, they weren't knives. "Bench cutters" that barely had blades. No idea what they have now. Haven't worked there for almost three years.

Vuze

Yeah, the ketchup stinginess blows my mind. These scalpers wanted 60€ct for that one tiny package last time I asked for it. No thanks.

depths20XX

Eh, I don't find their menu that hard to figure out. There isn't exactly a wide variety at McDonald's anyways. This constant complaint of Mcdonalds needing to "cut the fat" from their menu makes no sense to me. It's the same shit there always. Places like taco bell are way worse where you basically just have to know items that aren't on the menu. Steak n Shake is by far the worst. Like 1/10 of their menu is listed at the drive up.

Nah I like the more simplistic menu. They probably realize most people already know what they're gonna order before they even pull in. Plus give a human a bunch of options to choose from(especially If they have kids), they'll take forever to decide what they want. I don't need a crazy list to order their crack fries and maybe a mcdouble or two whenever I have an appetite to go there.

They simply have too much on their menu. If they trimmed it down and focused on making less stuff better, the food would be much better. Jack In the Box and Burger King have faltered for the same reason imho. Same with Taco Bell. I always think "hey this time it will be good!" when I try Taco Bell and I am always wrong. But it seems like every time I go, they have revamped and added 15 new things to their menu, and always have 2-3 special items circulating. Burger King even does hot dogs now. gtfo of here. If BK embraced their flame broiled gimmick and just focused on making great flame broiled burgers they'd be amazing again.

So of course the menus look like shit. As others have pointed out, it's even worse when you go inside, because they have screens that cycle through the menus on timers. And there's literally so much shit on the McD's menu that even with like 6 huge LED TV's flipped on their side showing the menu, each screen still has to cycle through multiple pages just to show everything, PLUS they put ads in there you have to cycle through. Try just finding how much a large fucking french fry costs watching those screens.

It's why places like Five Guys and In & Out and to a lesser extent Mooyah's are much better burger experiences imho. Pricier, but worth it. Throw CFA in there as well. They just make amazing chicken. Though, I they do now make sausage breakfast sandwiches and bacon. And of course, they do both exceptionally well. Probably the best sausage breakfast sandwich you can buy fast food wise, and they mistakenly put bacon on one of my sandwiches recently and of course, the bacon was fucking amazing.

To their credit, the new recipe McD's uses for their quarter pounder meat is fucking good. It's like night and day the taste of that meat versus what you'd get on a double cheeseburger.

I don't have any problem with the new menu.

Go order inside if you don't know what you want. Same thing if you're ordering for 10+ fucking people.

I want to rant about when places like McDonalds have two ordering lanes...and ignore you if you drive into the second lane (right lane) while multiple other cars order in the left lane. This has happened to me several times, and it's annoying as hell. Is it too hard to put up cones to close one off if you don't want people ordering from it, or turn off the lights to that second lane?

I have to imagine there's at least couple readily-available knives in a McDonald's kitchen. It's never been a big deal for us to order a Whopper cut-in-half at Burger King.

When I worked at Burger King I never saw a knife. Someone has mushed that Whopper in half with their hands or a dirty spatula.

big_z

No ketchup is a major complaint for me as well. Should always be 1 for small/medium, two for large.

My other complaint is its often so slow. 10+ minutes is not acceptable. People that order in bulk or customizing the crap out of their order should go inside. imo drive thru should be treated as an express lane.

Costa Kid

No ketchup is a major complaint for me as well. Should always be 1 for small/medium, two for large.

My other complaint is its often so slow. 10+ minutes is not acceptable. People that order in bulk or customizing the crap out of their order should go inside. imo drive thru should be treated as an express lane.
Why would they waste all that ketchup? Lots of people don't use ketchup. It would be hella wasteful to give everyone ketchup. I always go mad when they throw like ten salts and ten ketchups in the bag or when I order coffee like ten sugars. What a waste.

And usually people who order in bulk are told to park so it doesn't really have any effect on you.

big_z

Why would they waste all that ketchup? Lots of people don't use ketchup. It would be hella wasteful to give everyone ketchup. I always go mad when they throw like ten salts and ten ketchups in the bag or when I order coffee like ten sugars. What a waste.

And usually people who order in bulk are told to park so it doesn't really have any effect on you.

Even if you ask for ketchup when ordering 3/4 of the time you get none. I hate having to check the bag and then waiting for them to reopen the window to ask again. They should be required to ask if you want ketchup and input it as part of the order.

In Canada we don't have the drive thru time limit so waiting is common and only the newer McDonald's are setup to park people with large orders.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm in a McDonald's drive thru right now and I'm not experiencing this issue because at this time of night/medium level of intoxication I know I just want a mcdouble (no pickles) and some fries.
Now that pisses me off. The double cheeseburger is on the 2 for $2.50 menu, but the mcbouble isn't. So you have to pay extra (sometimes) if you want one less slice of cheese.

I like their coffee.

That's disgusting.

Actually, their coffee is pretty solid now. It's the coffee that Tim Horton's used to have when it was better. At least, that's how it is here in Canada.

That being said, I take milk and sweetener in my coffee, so I'm not exactly a connoisseur.

I also want to echo the issues others have with digital menus. I *hate* when I'm looking for an item and all five screens turn into a giant ad for something. I get that it's one of the advantages of a digital screen, along with staff not needing to change it for breakfast times etc., but just make one screen a rotating ad. Or just make a banner appear at the top or something.

I could go on a rant about similar things in retail for a while, but I'll stop here. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom