• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire BOOK Discussion |OT2| Unmarked SPOILERS for Published Material

jett

D-Member
Finally got done with A Knight of Seven Kingdoms. I got the collection last year but never got around to reading the third story until today, for one reason or another.

I really love the adventures of Dunk and Egg. Dunk could conceivably be my favorite character in this universe.

Dunk the lunk, thick as a castle wall.

Maybe GRMM should forget about the rest, since he clearly is mentally/creatively blocked if nothing else, and just keep on churning out simpler Dunk stories.

Honestly I think GRRM gave up years ago.

I think it's unbelievable the book isn't making it this year.

KahooTs

Pretty interesting theory but I think the easier solution is that the Valyrians used magic to hybridize themselves with dragons hence their affinity for them. That would also explain the weird coloring and good looks. We do know that they were conducting experiments to create chimeras with all sorts of other animals.

But your point about Euron is cool because it effectively makes Euron into Cthulhu if he succeeds. HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu is 1/3 man, 1/3 dragon and 1/3 kraken.

Sphinxes, this is the process for creating them, and what Euron is going to do.

People dismiss the idea that the great stone beast taking flight from a burning tower is one of Dany's dragons because it's described as a beast. It is one of Dany's dragons, Drogon, and this is the reason why it looks like a beast, Euron inside of it is going to physically change it into a half kraken. The stone is something else.

Euron's blood is kraken and of the sea, and him joining Drogo inside of Drogon is the punchline to the Dothraki's fear of the poison sea water. Euron's blood will overpower Drogo and Drogon will be his.

The Valyrians/Targs have to burn to second life a dragon, the why forgotten but the practice of burning their dead survived. Same with the Ironborn, they've got to drown to become whatever sea creature their house is associated with, hence the drowning ritual from which they're suppose to come back stronger, and their belief they've got to be given to the sea to reach their afterlife.

Moff

Euron's blood is kraken and of the sea, and him joining Drogo inside of Drogon is the punchline to the Dothraki's fear of the poison sea water. Euron's blood will overpower Drogo and Drogon will be his.
Oh GRRM, look what you are doing to your poor readers making them wait for so long.

Black_Sun

Finally got done with A Knight of Seven Kingdoms. I got the collection last year but never got around to reading the third story until today, for one reason or another.

I really love the adventures of Dunk and Egg. Dunk could conceivably be my favorite character in this universe.

Dunk the lunk, thick as a castle wall.

Maybe GRMM should forget about the rest, since he clearly is mentally/creatively blocked if nothing else, and just keep on churning out simpler Dunk stories.

I think it's unbelievable the book isn't making it this year.

It's not that unbelievable. Each of his books are as long as Lord of the Rings and his last two books took about this long to write except the added publicity and his commitment to the show for the first 4 seasons has slowed him down.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
There have been rumors that George RR Martin has already finished "The Winds of Winter" and is currently being proofread. The rumored release date was sparked by an Amazon France website, which listed the book's release date on March 9, 2017. However, the controversial page has since been taken down, according to the Independent.

Some believed that the Amazon French site inadvertently revealed release date without prior approval from the Amazon head office. If the date is accurate, this means that the gap with the last GOT book, "A Dance With Dragons" and the upcoming one, is around six years. However, many have also pointed out that it could be an honest mistake and "The Winds of Winter" will not be released on that date.

The only indication that the book is up for publication is its serial number. Martin and the publishers obtained an ISBN for "The Winds of Winter" book.

Martin continues to apologize for the delay of "The Winds of Winter" novel. He has acknowledged that he is a bit "slow" in writing the book, but there have been rumors that the delay was caused by the author working on two books instead of just one. The other book is reportedly a "Game of Thrones" prequel novel.

It's all probably bogus, but I'll be annoyed if that last bit is true and he's working on some prequel novel instead of ADOS.

ZeroRay

Didn't we get an ISBN thing on Amazon like 3-4 years ago?

Most likely the publishers just refreshed it cause it's taking so damn long lol

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
There is like, zero chance of that rumour being true. I'd be completely shocked if it were.

When has Amazon leak dates ever became true, anyway?

M.Bluth

Yeah, no way it's done. If GRRM has submitted a completed manuscript to his publisher, I'm pretty sure he would've announced it on his blog already.

Kain

I wouldn't mind a prequel novel set during the Usurper's war. Or even better, a full fledged novel about Egg while being king, Bloodraven fucking about and the Blackfyre rebellions in full glory.

Aiii

So not worth it
I wouldn't mind a prequel novel set during the Usurper's war. Or even better, a full fledged novel about Egg while being king, Bloodraven fucking about and the Blackfyre rebellions in full glory.

We'll be lucky if we even get a completed main series, you're better off putting this out of your head.

DKehoe

I think the Dunk & Egg novels will go all the way up to The Tragedy At Summerhall. Speculation:
I think adult Egg will try and sacrifice baby Rhaegar in a ritual to hatch a dragon and Dunk will interfere to save him which will cause the fire that kills them

KahooTs

I think the Dunk & Egg novels will go all the way up to The Tragedy At Summerhall. Speculation:
I think adult Egg will try and sacrifice baby Rhaegar in a ritual to hatch a dragon and Dunk will interfere to save him which will cause the fire that kills them

Don't think it's in Egg's repertoire to sacrifice, but whoever the 'saboteur' is they knew what was up, and had Rhaegar burned probably would have succeeded as they'd have created the same circumstances in which Dany hatched her dragons. I think Shiera.

Ryde3

finished my first read through of all 5 books this past week... can't believe everyone's been waiting 6 years for WOW. Guess I'll jump into A Knight of Seven Kingdoms.

Frodo

Lol

I've been reading rumours WoW and ADoS would be released simultaneously. Lolololololol

One can dream.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I kind of wish he would just announce a tentative date, but I don't see that happening due to the backlash if it is not met.

Frodo

The good thing about this books seemingly never being released is that I'll have time to re-read (or re-re-re-read) all the Harry Potter and LoTR books before I re-read the SoIaF books released to far to refresh my memory.

Frodo

I'm not falling for it again.

I'll just assume the worst, like he didn't write a single page this year, it's easier this way.

Not only he didn't wrote a single page this year, but he also threw away everything he had written so far. It's not coming out before 2050.

Please be out next year!

PhoenixDark told us every year how this year GRRM had cleared his schedule and would have time to finish it. Maybe 2017 it will really happen.

Not only he didn't wrote a single page this year, but he also threw away everything he had written so far. It's not coming out before 2050.

Please be out next year!

He is taking his time because he will make a simultaneous release of TWOW and ADOS

ZeroRay

I have a sinking feeling he's rewritten a lot of the book in the last year. Basically another ADWD situation, only it will probably take longer.

Aiii

So not worth it
We are never getting the final book and it has pretty much killed off most of my interest in the series as a whole. It really is a shame, it could have been the greatest fantasy series of all time, had George either gone with less books or not lost interest in the story after the third book. I think he absolutely loves the world and creating it. But the story he is telling? The writers block during book four seems to have killed his drive to tell it, at least that is what it seems like to me.

Tubie

We are never getting the final book and it has pretty much killed off most of my interest in the series as a whole. It really is a shame, it could have been the greatest fantasy series of all time, had George either gone with less books or not lost interest in the story after the third book. I think he absolutely loves the world and creating it. But the story he is telling? The writers block during book four seems to have killed his drive to tell it, at least that is what it seems like to me.

This is similar to how I feel, even if he ever finishes winds, my hopes for the last book(s) ever being finished are at 0.

I'll still read winds if it ever comes out, but with no hope of ever really getting to the end of the book series.

Trasher

Posted before?

CvkCkUvUIAAZHXX.jpg:large

Pages? Doing a comparison by page is pointless. If you did it by word count maybe it'd be interesting, but page counts are a meaningless metric.

Rowling only took more than 2 years to write a book once and put out Harry Potter books on a consistent schedule. Shorter or not, there's no real comparison to GRRM's publishing history.

And have the chart use the correct UK publishing dates and it becomes clear that most of GRRM's progress in that is because of how quickly he wrote ASOS 17 years ago.

ZeroRay

If you're going by word count, GRRM absolutely demolishes Rowling by that metric.

That doesn't change the fact that Rowling finished her series almost 10 years ago and that GRRM is still slow as fuck, especially compared to other fantasy/sci-fi writers.

Sibylus

Banned
My pessimism is in another field entirely. After Feast and Dragons, I don't particularly care if Winds and Spring are finished if they're going to be within that same ballpark of quality.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
So basically just like the directors of the show? Everyone loves creating the red wedding, and then seems to just not care as much afterwards.

I still have hope in the books. Maybe next year. I know he will finish. It's just a measure of when. I can wait for quality. It will be fine.

Top Bottom