• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A year later, how does Overwatch compare to Team Fortress 2?

joeblow

Overwatch still doesn't even have proper dedicated servers and so the community around the game and servers is piss poor compared to TF2. It's why I've played like 120 hours of Overwatch and never went back and got 2.5k hours out of TF2. There's no comparison.

Hmmm. A bit concerning.

Here's my situation. I've put in over 1,200 hours in TF2, and about 1,100 of those hours were spent on 2Fort community servers playing CTF with my four favorite characters. It's one of my all-time favorite gaming experiences, and I only quit a few years ago when Valve nerfed some of my favorite weapons.

I skipped Overwatch because it had no CTF mode. Reading this thread, I see that it now has it. So my question is, if I find a CTF map I really, really like in OW, is it possible to exclusively play on it, or does the game force map rotations on every server? My choice to buy the game may depend on the answer. Thanks.

I have way more time played in TF2 still, don't see myself returning to OW at all.

Hmmm. A bit concerning.

Here's my situation. I've put in over 1,200 hours in TF2, and about 1,100 of those hours were spent on 2Fort community servers playing CTF with my four favorite characters. It's one of my all-time favorite gaming experiences, and I only quit a few years ago when Valve nerfed some of my favorite weapons.

I skipped Overwatch because it had no CTF mode. Reading this thread, I see that it now has it. So my question is, if I find a CTF map I really, really like in OW, is it possible to exclusively play on it, or does the game force map rotations on every server? My choice to buy the game may depend on the answer. Thanks.

It forces map rotation and, imo, their map design is not suited for CTF.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Overwatch is a fantastic competitive game, but I sometimes miss the zany stupidity of TF2. With TF2 you can just join a server and do your own thing, but Overwatch can be frustrating if your team comp isn't good and the team isn't pushing together.

Hmmm. A bit concerning.

custom game browser

I really miss community servers. They're still around, but the heyday is far past at this point. I used to play with this one clan that was simultaneously super chill and relaxed, but they had some players that were goddamn wizards at pipe and rocket placement and were good enough at Spy to not be totally useless. Playing there made me get a lot better at the game a lot faster than matchmaking would have. Their servers are still up and running, but they almost never fill anymore (those players are gone anyway) and looking at them in my favorites list makes me sad.

Basically this.

Linkark07

Banned
Before TF2 became F2P and introduced the hats, I always had a great time with that game. So many hours spent playing and doing crazy stuff in that game.

Overwatch is also a game I quite enjoy, but compared to pre F2P TF2, it doesn't get close for me.

fhqwhgads

The entire random map choice in Overwatch is kind of a necessary evil when you look at TF2 and what happens to maps that aren't popular. Right now based on my time with matchmaking/community servers, TF2's map selection is dominated by 2fort/Dustbowl/Goldrush/Turbine/Hightower and other less than stellar maps whilst the actually good maps tend to rot away (I feel sorry for KOTH as a whole since the entire game mode seems to have fallen out of favour). As sucky as not having map choice with randoms, it's either that or you get stuck with people who want to play the exact same map over and over rather than enjoying the entire variety of maps the game has.

The entire random map choice in Overwatch is kind of a necessary evil when you look at TF2 and what happens to maps that aren't popular. Right now based on my time with matchmaking/community servers, TF2's map selection is dominated by 2fort/Dustbowl/Goldrush/Turbine/Hightower and other less than stellar maps whilst the actually good maps tend to rot away (I feel sorry for KOTH as a whole since the entire game mode seems to have fallen out of favour). As sucky as not having map choice with randoms, it's either that or you get stuck with people who want to play the exact same map over and over rather than enjoying the entire variety of maps the game has.

Back when we had Quickplay, Valve's TF2 servers cycled between all the maps in a gamemode, and you had a browser for them, so outside of garbage maps like Snowplow you could find active games in almost every map. Most maps got killed off when they replaced Quickplay with an Overwatch-style matchmaking system with random map selection.

Randdalf

I'd echo the sentiment about maps, though not necessarily because Overwatch has bad maps, it's just that TF2 has so many stellar ones. Personally, I think Badlands is the greatest multiplayer map ever designed.

Yeah, I keep running my head into the OW wall expecting it to click but the skill ceiling is just so much lower than the other FPS I play. Had the same issue with Heroes of the Storm as a Dota player.

I was always laugh when people say this. How on Earth is the average shooter more complicated or have a higher skill ceiling than playing Genji, Tracer, or Widowmaker effectively? I've played every MP shooter the past two years except Titanfall 2. Overwatch is no easier than those games.

Hmmm. A bit concerning.

your choice would be create a room and let others join in or play the ctf playlist and put up with the random rotation over several maps.

I love ctf it's really fun and fast however character skills are not balanced around it so expect to see a few characters feel rather godly on some maps.

sca2511

I think that TF2 is better than OW from a gameplay perspective. The production values of OW (design, graphics, lore, etc.) are much better though

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I'd echo the sentiment about maps, though not necessarily because Overwatch has bad maps, it's just that TF2 has so many stellar ones. Personally, I think Badlands is the greatest multiplayer map ever designed.

The TFC version is better!

joeblow

your choice would be create a room and let others join in or play the ctf playlist and put up with the random rotation over several maps.

I love ctf it's really fun and fast however character skills are not balanced around it so expect to see a few characters feel rather godly on some maps.
If I create a room, can I keep playing the same map every round if I choose?

Greddleok

I tried to play TF2. I have 24 hours played. I was playing with friends who loved it, but I found it boring to the absolute max. I only played because other people I liked were playing.

Overwatch on the other hand, I have over 200 hours put into it and most of those have been solo. It's just that good.

Symbiotx

TF2 didn't stick for me for some reason. I have been completely consumed with Overwatch though. I have played hundreds of hours of it, and I love it.

Naked Lunch

The Overwatch faze has pretty much passed in my circles of friends. No one plays it anymore. The game modes are way too limiting and there isnt nearly enough maps. OW is probably the most overrated multiplayer game ever. I look at it as the fps for people who were never good at fps - thats about it.

TF2 has (had) longer legs by miles. Im more of a TF1/TFC dude but I appreciate TF2 for what it is. TF2's maps destroy OW - not even close.

The Overwatch faze has pretty much passed in my circles of friends. No one plays it anymore. The game modes are way too limiting and there isnt nearly enough maps. OW is probably the most overrated multiplayer game ever. I look at it as the fps for people who were never good at fps - thats about it.

TF2 has (had) longer legs by miles. Im more of a TF1/TFC dude but I appreciate TF2 for what it is. TF2's maps destroy OW - not even close.

I don't play the game, but have been witness to my girlfriends many hours of playing it. It's a class based online shooter. It's exceptionally well made, sure - and perhaps it is a little elitist of me to say, but it's nothing I haven't seen before. TFC/TF2 has been offering a similar experience since 1999 and 2007, respectively. The latter of which being free to play. Throw in mod support and you've got one hell of a package.

While I REALLY like what I've seen of Overwatch, and can't argue it's success or popularity, nor will I deny the games apparent quality - seeing so many people call out its mechanics and hold them so high and original just makes me cringe. The cynical side of me wants to scream "babbys first online squad shooter"

...but I won't. ;)

commissar

I think CTF would work better in Overwatch if there were bigger maps and more players.
I don't think Overwatch or TF2 have enough mobility for good CTF games. Best to look to Tribes (or the upcoming Midair) or Quake Live for that.

edit: or Reflex and upcoming Diabotical.

I don't play the game, but have been witness to my girlfriends many hours of playing it. It's a class based online shooter. It's exceptionally well made, sure - and perhaps it is a little elitist of me to say, but it's nothing I haven't seen before. TFC/TF2 has been offering a similar experience since 1999 and 2007, respectively. The latter of which being free to play. Throw in mod support and you've got one hell of a package.

While I REALLY like what I've seen of Overwatch, and can't argue it's success or popularity, nor will I deny the games apparent quality - seeing so many people call out its mechanics and hold them so high and original just makes me cringe. The cynical side of me wants to scream "babbys first online squad shooter"

...but I won't. ;)

I feel compelled to point out that TFC wasn't the first TF game.

Thanks boo

There are also a bunch of videos (one for each class, and a few others including a fifteen-minute one about bread). The updates pages are also worth reading, here's my favorite.

Top Bottom