• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ABC-Mart StarCraft:BW MSL (aka Ro32 Group D thread)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So the MSL is on Day 5 right now. Here is a thread to talk about it.

While there have been some good SC II matches I've found myself missing the absolute insane timings, control, macro, and playing ability that BW pro offer. So tonight I'm going back.

Group H is before D, but the purpose of this thread is to build hype for a Ro32 match. A series that will eliminate two of these four players.

Starting time: 6h 30m from post time.
1am PST - 4am EST

Streams: http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/GTR
http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/Musou

Casting: No English casting (Maybe I will cast, who knows)

___
Group H
(P)Kal < La Mancha > (T)Really
(T)Reality < Monte Cristo > (Z)Shine
Winners Match < Circuit Breaker >
Losers Match < Circuit Breaker >
Final Match < Dante's Peak SE >
___
Group D
(Z)Jaedong < La Mancha> (T)Sea
(T)Flash < Monte Cristo > (P)Bisu
Winners Match < Circuit Breaker >
Losers Match < Circuit Breaker >
Final Match < Dante's Peak SE >

The #1 Terran in the world, #1 Zerg in the world, #2 Protoss in the world, #3 Terran in the world
Bracket of death indeed. (Click image for TL link)

The mechanics of these caliber of players are so far and away. (IM)MVP was a good SC:BW player. Respectable imo. He had a 40% win rate in Brood War.
(IM)Nestea was never good at BroodWar 1v1. His name was Zergbong and he was stuck in 2v2. Both of these players have won a GSL.

Flash has a lifetime 72% winrate, 80% winrate in the last 6 months. Absolutely unheard of.

___
(Z)Jaedong

» Jaedong is a three time OSL winner and a two time MSL winner. He is also known as the Tyrant and the Legend Killer because of the players he defeated in his early debuting days, amongst them sAviOr, Reach, NaDa, GoRush, July and iloveoov. Since then he has evolved into a true monster and has more or less been dominating the SC:BW scene with his rival Flash. He is known for his micro-management and innovative playstyle, whether it be popularizing 5 Hatch Hydra, 2 Hatch Muta or revolutionizing ZvZ.

Statistics

Jaedong vs Flash 19-21
Jaedong vs Bisu 5-8
Jaedong vs Sea 10-7

___
(T)Sea

» Sea is a player who has had alot of ups and downs. Sea is quite known for his somewhat shaky performance in starleagues, but nevertheless he has a lot of experience and while his achievements aren't as fancy as the others' he is definitely capable of making an upset. He holds the third highest TvZ ELO peak of currently active players.

Statistics

Sea vs Jaedong 7-10
Sea vs Flash 0-8
Sea vs Bisu 2-4

___
(P)Bisu

»Bisu is a three timer MSL winner. His nickname is the Revolutionist, which he earned when he forever changed the PvZ matchup by defeating sAvior in the 2007 GOMTV MSL finals in a revolutionizing manner. He is known for his usage of Corsairs and Dark Templars that resulted in what was called the "Bisu build".

Statistics

Bisu vs Jaedong 8-5
Bisu vs Flash 9-12
Bisu vs Sea 4-2

___
(T)Flash

» Flash is a three timer OSL winner and a two time MSL winner. The Ultimate Weapon is Flash. But the weapon was not always so ultimate, at his debut he was heavily disliked for his "cheesy" and "boring" playstyle which lacked variation. It wasn't until 2008, when he won his first starleague and defeated players like Jaedong and Bisu along the way that people opened their eyes for him. Flash has since become the most well-rounded player, combining strategic versatility, decision making, and mechanics. He is the player that makes the least mistakes of all and currently the Neo of SC:BW.

Statistics

Flash vs Jaedong 21-19
Flash vs Bisu 12-9
Flash vs Sea 8-0

_____

Flash is Destiny.
A brief history of Flash, The Ultimate Weapon.

Kn0c1.jpg

From the time of (T)BoxeR, Terrans have ruled the universe. The Emperor, The Monster Terran, and the Tornado Terran were the first three Bonjwas to have ever existed. As time decayed the Bonjwas' sovereignty, no new Terran appeared to claim his birthright. So began the dark ages.

It was written on the stars that in these darkest of hours, the Chosen One would be born. The perfect player, endowed with the greatest of the Bonjwas’ gifts. Yet the prophecy did not say he would arrive perfect. The sharpest steel required the hottest fire. And so it was that the Terran child (T)Flash came into the scene a cheeser, and ironically, lived under the Storm Zerg’s care. The world forsook him, deriding his “turtle” style and his personal failures. They said he was just a mechanical freak, doomed to the oblivion of mediocre Proleague Terrans. Still, he labored carrying those around him time and time again until his back and wrists would break. The early supernova was burning out.

And it was to become a black hole that would consume all creation. (T)Flash knew what no one else did. He knew, not because of his outstanding mind, but because of his great heart. Destiny was no trifling matter to be given him without sacrifice. Like matter, it was neither created nor destroyed. Destiny, that majestic triumph of the Terran lineage ((T)BoxeR, (T)iloveoov, and (T)NaDa) and its inherent ingenuity ((T)Midas and (T)XellOs), had to be earned.

Objectives

Finals

(T)Flash is the greatest player of our time. (T)Flash is going to become the greatest player of all time. All that he needs is that one, final title to shatter (T)NaDa’s record. Sure, (T)NaDa has other records, but the most prestigious is his Golden Mouse and Golden Badge combination. No other gamer has that. Not (T)iloveoov. Not (T)BoxeR. Not (Z)sAviOr. (T)Flash needs that Golden Badge. Fans may say that he doesn’t need that to be the GOAT, but it will validate his long years of hard work. It will justify his sweat and tears and bloody fingers. It will affirm his potential as the Ultimate Weapon.

Analysis

Lee Young Ho is as close to perfection as can be. He has no weakness.

Early game, he is the best bunker-rusher of all time along with (T)BoxeR. Bunker rushes require intense micro and the largest balls of all. Sure, 4 pool is riskier, but its purpose is two-fold: (1) to end the game early/get an advantage and (2) mess with your opponent’s mind. Losing a 4/5 pool will still accomplish one of the two. It's essentially a sacrifice with a sure reward in series play. Bunker rushes are tests of willpower. Failure will not necessarily defeat you but set you back, so it’s mostly a question of how committed you are to your strategy and how you will transition given success or failure. It’s even a very questionable move because in the face of greedy builds, the Terran still has the option to simply play for a timing attack which is much safer than a bunker rush. (T)Flash has memorized the handbook of bunker rushing and has even amended its provisions. His other cheeses are artistic masterpieces of micro and innovation, be they BBS or proxies.

Mid game, he is the best timing-pusher of all time. He reads his opponent very well with prescient scans and in-game analysis (worker counting, anyone?). He also has a very solid defensive style that negates all forms of midgame cheese. He gets early turrets to counteract Mutalisk aggression or Reaver harass. He positions his Tanks in graduated clumps so that they protect several areas and at the same time overlap to provide killing power. His Vultures are such a pain to deal with because he’s so good at timing a surround + mine to ensure that not all mines are shot down.

Late game, he is the most durable player. I think the most exemplary games of Flash have involved comebacks from the most massive deficits ((T)Flash v (T)Fantasy MSL game 1, (T)Flash v (T)firebathero Neo Medusa, (T)Flash v (T)Leta OSL, (T)Flash v (T)Mind Proleague 10-11, I could go on and on). He simply does not give up. In late-game battles, he manages to be incredibly cost efficient. At a time when most players are so drained physically and mentally, (T)Flash is so laser-focused he can still target-fire tank clumps and navigate his Dropships to destroy the most important tech buildings.

Overall, (T)Flash has unequalled game sense. He detects things from the smallest details. He understands when to play aggressively and when to play passively. I cannot stress this enough. This is why his anti-fans hate him for either turtling (because it looks like his opponent just keeps sending waves of units to crash against an immovable tank and turret line) or cheesing (because it looks like (T)Flash just walks in his opponent’s nat/expos and simply obliterates him in one fell swoop). This is a result of constant, instinctive thinking. It’s an oxymoron, to be sure, but (T)Flash’s genius is not rational. His mechanical talent can be learned, but his mental talent is the only one of its kind. Is his opponent gunning for an economic lead? Is he going for an all in? One by one, (T)Flash analyzes his opponent’s options and eliminates them one by one, forcing the other player to ride his cadence.

(T)Flash is favored in every single matchup in this group. It may be called the Group of Death, but realistically, (T)Flash can simply look at it as the Group of “Just another day in the Office”.

Yes this is mainly an excuse to post my love for Flash, but I will be watching tonight. So hyped it is ridiculous.

Spl1nter

Poor Sea, 0-8 against Flash. Flash being knocked out would be a huge upset.

For group H, what is Kal ranked as right now?

Haz you think there will be vods I can watch tomorrow of this with english casting?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Spl1nter said:
Poor Sea, 0-8 against Flash. Flash being knocked out would be a huge upset.

For group H, what is Kal ranked as right now?

Haz you think there will be vods I can watch tomorrow of this with english casting?
Kal is very solid. I'm glad for him. He's #3 Toss and deserves it. (Fantasy #1 my ass) He played really well in WCG and I saw his games vs Flash and he played brilliantly. But he was playing Flash. So his 30 food advantage that Kal had from breaking Flash's giant siege line literally went away in 80 seconds.

Eng commentary that fast? No, but there should be vids on nevake uploaded very quickly.
Maybe 1-5 days for eng if moletrap or diggity or someone casts them.

Hell I'd cast it live but it detracts from my viewing experience if I have to explain since everything moves so fast and I love hearing the Koreans ramble like crazy.

Flash got knocked out of MSL last season in Ro64 / 32 by worse players so it wouldn't be TOO surprising. I can't imagine the amount they had to prepare for this.

Zzoram

This is actually an amazing group. Given the players, it might as well be the finals.

LOL at Sea, he must be crying in his sleep.

Vaporak

I really really wish I didn't have a test tomorrow morning, I'd love to stay up and watch this. Truest group of death I've ever seen. o_O

Cipherr

Theres.... theres just no time. Work, Portal 2, I need to play through The Witcher so I can see what the noise is all about, GSL, NASL.

No....time....

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Cipherr said:
Theres.... theres just no time. Work, Portal 2, I need to play through The Witcher so I can see what the noise is all about, GSL, NASL.

No....time....
BW takes over all. I love SC2 like all, but good god BW is so good.

54-46!

The #1 Terran in the world, #1 Zerg in the world, #2 Protoss in the world, #3 Terran in the world
I don't think you need to add "in the world", I mean.. they're Koreans heh.

I haven't watched much BW since SC2 came out, the coverage sort of faded out. Seems like the top players are still the same though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Mister Wilhelm said:
I can't watch this without English commentating, I don't understand enough about the game.
Bah, it's close enough to SC II.

Shine fast teching to Guardian (BroodLord) at 9 minutes.
Lol Shine on you crazy bastard.

Large maps and the threat of microed mutas have that ability to let one do such a strategy.
Terrans usually wont move out without a science vessel (raven) due to lurkers.
If more Zergs used burrowed banes on larger maps maybe we could see this work.

Here comes an attack though!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Acronyms are fun!

Shine beasting all over using the real utility of Zerg.

Hydras -> Lurkers to contain T
Muta control to annoy and harass and damage T and contain T
Fast tech to Guardian, use saved mutas to turn into guardians
Use left over hydra tech as meatshield/DPS vs goliath counter and push with guardians to nullify tanks which snipe the lurkers.

Goddam.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Is BW starting to lose interest in SK or is there only a small audience since it's the round of 32? I'm guessing the latter.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
evlcookie said:
Is BW starting to lose interest in SK or is there only a small audience since it's the round of 32? I'm guessing the latter.
The audiences are usually smaller (Also only Kal is playing atm) since there are matches everyday and you can catch them online/on tv.

It's only the Ro8 up and finals that get large turnouts.

Mairu

bw is hard to follow when you haven't played it for a million years but the engagements are much more exciting than the majority of what we're dealing with in sc2 right now ;(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Forced to engage in multiple places and split your army and manage all of it at the same time.
You'll often see a lot more 'mistakes' in BW, but the gains by the stuff you didn't see going on usually outweigh the minor micro mistakes.

Group D is starting! Right after NaDa vs MKP. Perfect timing.

Streams: http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/Musou
http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/GTR

Might have to get another stream added. Quality not looking so great atm :[
*STREAM IS DYING ffffffffffffff

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
3 minutes in this TvP and we already have a gas steal, manner engy bay, and a missed manner pylon.

This is going to be good.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TheThunder said:
So what happened, did anyone mange to beat Flash ?

Winner's Match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npsS-TA0Bro
The fear of Zerg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npsS-TA0Bro&feature=player_detailpage#t=646s
Flash vs Bisu very good match as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bcL_5EpC8i8#t=251s (Skip to 15:30 for more action, but intro to the game is cute)

Final Match (Best imo): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLxC9TmlbNw
BW: Home of the 3 minute engagements, 6 bases, 15 factories, 20 gateways
(Final engagement of Final match) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLxC9TmlbNw&feature=player_detailpage#t=1146s

Deadman

After watching sea vs jaedong i really really want lurkers.

Sc1 is cool, its a shame i never got in to it years ago

Top Bottom