• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

About to go onto a plane for the first time as an adult. I am scared shitless.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It'll be over before you even realize it. Just vibe, have fun, and enjoy looking down on the world. Flying is literally safer than driving a few blocks.

edit: for my old job I had to fly ten-or-so times a year. I had my first plane trip when I was 23 I think, maybe 22, for my first job out of college. Once you get that first one under your belt and realize how cool and relaxing it is you'll never think twice about it again.

Last edited:

Duellist

You will be fine, worst parts are take offs and landings which are usually pretty quick. Just close your eyes and take some deep breaths and make sure you swallow lots so your ears don’t get plugged up.

SJRB

Gold Member
If the noise scares you, noise canceling headphones will definitely help you out. Get some good quality over-ear headphones, I can recommend Sony's. They're pricy but the quality is amazing.

Other than that just try to enjoy the ride. If all else fails you can try and ask your doctor for calming medication.

Breathing through a straw sounds like a bad time, honestly.

I have a bit of claustrophobia which makes it hard to fly. Personally, I just get an aisle seat and some Xanax from a friend.

Edit: I have heard of some doctors writing a tiny script for anti-anxiety meds for patients who don't like to fly.

Last edited:

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The parts of flying that suck are literally everything else than what you mentioned. Waiting. Checking in. Waiting. Cramped with annoying people. Waiting. Crying babies. Waiting.

Actually flying is the only enjoyable part of flying.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
BTW, OP, for an actual constructive answer to your question... I recommend looking up what's called combat breathing. They teach this in the military and in police academies. It's pretty subtle and it works. Ans easy to do.

Depriving yourself of oxygen is the opposite of what you should be doing... whoever said breathe through a straw is likely a dipshit.

Fbh

People always mention landing and starting but really I think the snakes are the worst part

0_Film-Title-Snakes-on-a-Plane.jpg

mitch1971

Forget medication.
Forget breathing through a straw.
Forget headphones.
Just do this one thing....
8d50339f-c32d-49cb-807b-7985b790dd2d-2060x1236.jpeg

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Chewing gum, the ear pressure thing will hit you like a brick especially if it's your first flight.

Constant chewing motion helps a lot.

I also travelled on a plane for the first time a week ago. I’m a grown ass man and when I got into the plane the reality of flying hit me and I started to get a little nervous. Once we took off and we were in the air, trust me, it’s not that bad at all. It kind of felt like driving at a mellow pace. Landing was slightly scary but I think it will be over before you know it.

My suggestion is to have a good book, be in good company, have some headphones for music or have a Switch to tune out for a few hours.

NekoFever

Noise-cancelling headphones are the secret weapon for making air travel bearable. Even the cheap ones should be able to handle plane engine noise, and they work like magic.

RavageX

My first flights at around the age of 34(?) were nothing, just don't think about it. The worst part for me was trying to move around and annoying people, waiting and messing with luggage. As someone else mentioned the actual flying part was a piece of cake.

Now if you get one of those drunk pilots I'm sure your experience might differ a bit.

Soodanim

Boiled sweets/hard candy to suck on is an alternative to gum, if that's more your thing.

For what it's worth, which may be very little, the noise is not something I've ever been concerned about. In actuality, it's the big indicator of the fun "Here we go!" moment of taking off, and the volume isn't half as high as you might think it is.

Mossybrew

The parts of flying that suck are literally everything else than what you mentioned. Waiting. Checking in. Waiting. Cramped with annoying people. Waiting. Crying babies. Waiting.

Actually flying is the only enjoyable part of flying.

Yup it's like one big Disney ride. Crowded, waiting in lines, but when you finally get on the ride it's fun.

You'll be fine, OP. The things you mentioned are more uncomfortable than they are scary, but based on what little I know, sounds like you're building it up in your head. Get a prescription from a doctor for some benzos if you're worried about it--short-term anxiety-inducing situations is one of the intended uses for them.

Non-drug-wise, practice deep breathing. Four second inhale, hold for four seconds, exhale for four seconds, hold there for four more seconds and repeat the cycle 4-10x or as much as you need. I thought it was BS myself until I tried it, but you're effectively tricking your body back into a state of non-anxiety.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
There's nothing to worry about. It only gets loud during the take-off and even that's not louder than the sound of a big motor engine revving up outside of your house for a few minutes. It's not in your face loud, so don't worry about that. The flying part is the fun bit, the real horror is the boarding procedure and all the waiting.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
About 4 hours
Here's my routine for every flight.

- Go to the bathroom right before the flight. Last thing I want to do is use a cramped and potentially gross bathroom on the plane
- Settle in and buckle up. Most of the time I start to doze off before the plane even takes off. It helps if you got the window seat where you can pull down the shade and then wedge your head between the seat and window ledge
- For longer flights, bring a wired headset (likely an Aux cable). Plug her in and watch a movie. As odd as it seems, sometimes the movies you get on a plane can be pretty recent movies
- Unless you need tons of check in luggage, flying light with carry on luggage is the best thing to do. Get in the lobby early so you can get in the plane faster so you can get an overhead spot before people take them up. It sucks if you try to do this as the last people on the plane. Overhead compartments are not reserved per seat. It's first come first serve. When you land, grab your carry on gear and leave. Waiting for luggage at the carousel is a waste of time

Last edited:
Best advice ITT is noise cancelling headphones and chewing gum (remember to download lots of music/movies/shows to your phone, a spare battery pack is a good carry on too). You may like to take some motion sickness tablets 30mins before your flight too, if you get car sick it's a good idea. Other than that just relax and remember to breathe.

BossLackey

Gold Member
This is going to sound weird, but in conjunction with the other suggestions, if you pretend like you don't even care if the plan crashes (it won't) then it helps. At least it does for me.

Also, turbulence is completely normal and simply isn't something to worry about at any time. It does not cause plane crashes. Just going over small bumps in the sky road.

Lasha

Turbulence is no different from waves when riding on a boat. Imagine you are riding on a boat and you'll learn to enjoy the rocking of the plane.

Sakura

As someone who cannot do rollercoasters or anything, flying on a plane is totally fine. Trust me, it's not as bad as you think it will be.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Turbulence is no different from waves when riding on a boat. Imagine you are riding on a boat and you'll learn to enjoy the rocking of the plane.
Turbulence is like waves on a boat if the waves are actually logs and the boat is somehow rolling downhill on top of them. In my decades of flying I don't think I've ever experienced turbulence like waves. It's always been like running over potholes on a broken road but thousands of feet in the air.

Don't worry OP. Statistically you stand a better chance of dying on the way to the airport than you do dying on a plane.

OP, I sympathize with your nervousness about first-time flying. I was a lot younger than you when I had my first flight (8 years old). Half an hour before takeoff I had a panic attack in my seat, but thankfully my parents and the attendants were able to calm me down and prepare me for takeoff. When the takeoff process happened, I felt great, and I never had another nervous flight experience again! Hope you feel great after takeoff, too!

As a tangent, does anyone else have an in-flight routine? Mine is the music I play during takeoff and after the plane lands.

Takeoff:

After the plane lands, we deboard, and I walk through the airport:

Lasha

Turbulence is like waves on a boat if the waves are actually logs and the boat is somehow rolling downhill on top of them. In my decades of flying I don't think I've ever experienced turbulence like waves. It's always been like running over potholes on a broken road but thousands of feet in the air.

Don't worry OP. Statistically you stand a better chance of dying on the way to the airport than you do dying on a plane.

You ever been out to sea in a working boat? Shit is wild. Cresting over some waves feels like falling off a cliff.

ahtlas7

If there is time, talk to your dr and get a relaxer. (if possible) take someone who isn’t afraid to fly who can help explain away the noises. I understand the fear is irrational and it’s tough but you can do it!

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Just watch the movie airplane in flight. It's just like being on a bus but more fun on takeoff.

As to safety, I know you said you weren't worried about this but basically your more likely to get hit by a bus or get hit by lightning than die in a plane crash.....

Shtef

I have been flying a lot for my work and still cannot get used to flying. I always get nervous and my hands start sweating. I am so stress out that i cannot even listen to music, read a book or watch anything. Its a nightmare and every time I had to fly somewhere I am dreading it.

GymWolf

I traveled with a friend who was scared shitless and we had like a big storm going on during the flight...i ended up keeping his hands for like an hour to make him relax a bit while his girlfriend was looking at us with a sus stare...

Don't ask why i had to keep his hands and not his useless girlfriend.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Dammit, you missed The Twilight Zone: The Movie and that ep with The Shat!
I.. I actually cant believe I missed the best one! John lithgow was better though it has to be said, you can actually see the terror in his face, and it was actually the film that made me personally scared of flying :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Dammit.

I have a flight in a couple of days and I'm worried that I'll be too scared to stay on it. It's not the plane crashing which I am thinking about it is the feeling I will get in my stomach/ears/head and how loud it will be.

I have read that inhaling through a straw would help with anxiety, worth a try
Get a pacifier and dress like a baby with diapers. Tell them you need one of the flight attendants to accommodate you throughout the duration of the flight. Just get a forged paper signed with your phobia condition. Next step? Profit

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
If you don’t have any plans after I would:

FxxxqyU.jpg

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Sleeping pills and don't watch Cast Away. For me it's not even the thought of crashing but ending up in an ocean brrrrrrr

Top Bottom