• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

About to go onto a plane for the first time as an adult. I am scared shitless.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I have a flight in a couple of days and I'm worried that I'll be too scared to stay on it. It's not the plane crashing which I am thinking about it is the feeling I will get in my stomach/ears/head and how loud it will be.

I have read that inhaling through a straw would help with anxiety, worth a try
Tl;Dr but the chances of it falling out of the sky are pretty small*

*Honestly I'm just talking out my ass I don't know what the chances are. When it's your time it's your time.

GMCamaro

I’ve had to fly for a job. It was a bit nerve-wrecking, but it was all right. Driving scares me more these days.

Mistake

I’ve had some rough plane rides. Probably flown more than anyone here tbh. I think the problem I have is I’m not the one doing the flying, and how out of my hands it all is. Majority of flights are no big deal though

lem0n

Flying the first time can be nerve-wracking yes but it's genuinely no big deal, I promise. Do you have a Steam Deck or Switch or something? Great time to catch up on some games. Oh, noise cancelling headphones would be a good idea too. Loud babies on planes ruin the flight.

Fuz

Banned
I love it. I bloody love taking planes, no matter how long the flight (fuck Ryan seats toh). I also love airports and I don't get bored waiting long hours for an exchange flight.

I also love sleeping on flights and once managed to sleep 12 hours straight from Cagliari to Tokyo. Got up the plane, sit down, started to sleep before takeoff. Woke up, "Mmmm let's see where we are", checked the map, "WE CAN'T BE OVER JAPAN ALREADY GODDAMMIT". Friend, "Yep, you slept the whole 12 hors".

Last edited:

Billbofet

I hate everything about flying other than the flight itself - which I find relaxing.
I also stress more when I travel for vacation than for work. I have to fly cross country on Sunday for a convention next week in LA, and I couldn't care less about being inconvenienced vs. if this was for leisure.

cormack12

Gold Member
medium_1992_0823__0001_.jpg

Why wouldn't you feel safe thousands of feet in the air with all this protection op?

Batiman

Banned
Ya I hate planes. Hard for me to do long flights. Not scared or anything I just start getting claustrophobic after the 5 hour mark. For some reason my flight to Panama felt way longer and exhausting compared to my flight to Germany. I guess because the plane was a lot smaller. Hard for me to read or play games because it just makes me nauseous. Next time I’m gonna get high as fuck just so I can pass out the whole trip.

TronNerd82

When they say you can take out electronic devices, what I would recommend is you put on some headphones and play your favorite music. Hopefully it will distract you from anything else, and hopefully you have a smooth ride. One time as a kid, I barely made it onto the plane (TSA thought my portable DVD player was a weapon of mass destruction, LOL), and my mom literally threw me and my brother into the plane so we could make it. The wings were icy (I lived up north at the time) which delayed the flight for about an hour, after which the pilot literally said he would fly it like he stole it, which he proceeded to act upon. Not a fun flight, but it probably won't happen to you. Good luck on your flight.

Facism

I have a flight in a couple of days and I'm worried that I'll be too scared to stay on it. It's not the plane crashing which I am thinking about it is the feeling I will get in my stomach/ears/head and how loud it will be.

I have read that inhaling through a straw would help with anxiety, worth a try

if the plane has screens with a movie selection, see if they have any Marvel stuff. I put endgame on when coming back to the UK from the USA and slept the whole way.

dalyr95

I love flying but airport beers are a ritual, get tipsy in the airport bar since you'll be there for 2 hours anyway, board the plane, fall asleep while waiting for the takeoff slot, wake up when you land.

bitbydeath

Where am I going to put it when it finishes?
Bin when you get off the flight.
The constant chewing motion helps prevent/reduce any pain when moving down suddenly. Typically (at least for me) this has only occurred when landing, not at takeoff or during the flight. So you are probably safe to not start chewing gum until you are close to your destination.

Last edited:

BlackTron

First time I was on a plane I was about 14. I don't think I knew being scared of it was even a thing yet, so the only thing I was scared of was boredom. I took a small lego set with me for when I didn't want to stare at the Game Boy

Sgt.Asher

There was a flight I took out of Denver during a storm, hit some turbulence and the plane dropped 200 ft. That's what the pilot said anyway. Fun stuff.

Durien

About 4 hours
Earplugs help with the pressure and noise. As someone mentioned above, the biggest pain in the ass about flying is everything that happens before actual flying. By the time you get done with check in, security, and waiting, you'll be happy to sit in your seat. Go early so you aren't rushing or feel like you have to rush through anything and you'll be fine :)

Don't drink alcohol on the plane to calm your nerves. Drink ginger ale or water out of a bottle. To be honest, one thing I do with my kids when we fly is I buy a new game for the switch. For short flights like this, by the time you are allowed to turn it on, you start playing and before you know it, you're landing. Keeps you distracted.

Have a good trip :)

BouncyFrag

I once had a flight after a sports team wrecked things so hard that they needed to duct tape a handle in place to its exit door. 😬

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Suck boiled sweets. My partner's been doing it her whole life and it helps her.

Irobot82

It was hard to say, i know a lot of people who eat edibles before taking a flight (me included)
Last time I took one was along with LSD and I made the mistake of you can always eat more. Needless to say I spent the night terrified of FNAF characters and then Bob Ross saved my life.

GymWolf

Last time I took one was along with LSD and I made the mistake of you can always eat more. Needless to say I spent the night terrified of FNAF characters and then Bob Ross saved my life.
Never tried lsd, a bit too risky for me after some stories i heard from friends.

I usually take mushrooms when i want visions (but not during a flight)

Alebrije

Take gum but be sure its bubble gum...it last longer that others.

Ite helps with stress and clear your ear from air bubbles that otherwise will go to your brain and kill you.

spinfive

Banned
Update here

I took the flight and it was awesome! awesomely boring that was and like some were saying the queing and waiting through security is way worse. There is a feeling of weightlessness as you take to the air in the beginning though and it also feels strange landing (everyone in the airplane made noises). I look forward to my return flight soon

hemo memo

Gold Member
If you are not worried about crashing and thinking of every little noise the plane make as if there is something wrong (like how my brain works) then the sound is not really that bad. I personally take a sedative and of all the advices I got the only one that actually worked for me is looking at the flight attendants. It calms me as they just walk and talk and behave casually. It reduces my stress.

Make sure you put a comically large dildo in your carry on luggage so the TSA drone x-raying your bags have something interesting to look at.

Seriously though, take-off and landing is the worst parts, but it will be all right. The take-off is going to be very loud, and that's normal.

Top Bottom