• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Absolutely STUNNING images of Dubai's Skyline (and more).

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_the_United_Arab_Emirates

I wouldn't call that diversity, separation of church vs state, or freedom of speech.

Because diversity entails equal rights. Not subjugation.

Not a separation of church vs state

Not freedom of speech

Some examples:

UAE: Australian woman raped by Muslim gang, then jailed for having sex outside of marriage (reported on GAF last week)

Modern, moderate Dubai arrests two for witchcraft

Dubai fines British expatriate $800 for insulting Ramadan
Someone has axe to grind. Weren't you supposed to clear for us how Muslim Brotherhood is part of Al Qaida in that CBS thread? In any case, I fail to see what any of what you posted has anything to do with topic at hand, other than Dubai has criminals and some funny rules.

Someone has axe to grind. Weren't you supposed to clear for us how Muslim Brotherhood is part of Al Qaida in that CBS thread? In any case, I fail to see what any of what you posted has anything to do with topic at hand, other than Dubai has criminals and some funny rules.

You don't see a problem with this?

DUBAI, JUNE 11 - In the shadow of the enormous skyscrapers in Dubai, symbols of modernity and innovation, old superstitions and black magic are still popular in the Emirate's intricate multicultural social web. At least according to the amount of ''material for witchcraft'' impounded by the border police: 92 cases in one year. Witchcraft is punishable with imprisonment in the United Arab Emirates, but in other Gulf states, like Saudi Arabia, culprits can even get the death penalty.

http://www.ansamed.info/ansamed/en/...f-Clampdown-sorcerers-witchcraft_7017768.html

I admit that I have never been there so I am not passing judgement on the lifestyle/good parts about UAE, but stories like this concern me and make me a little cautious to visit anytime soon. I'm scared enough as is about smoking weed over here and I live in legalized Washington State lol!

nib95

Banned

I wouldn't call that diversity, separation of church vs state, or freedom of speech.

Because diversity entails equal rights. Not subjugation.

Not a separation of church vs state

Not freedom of speech

Some examples:

UAE: Australian woman raped by Muslim gang, then jailed for having sex outside of marriage (reported on GAF last week)

Modern, moderate Dubai arrests two for witchcraft

Dubai fines British expatriate $800 for insulting Ramadan

There are rare and exceptional cases no doubt, but we're talking one in millions. Also your religion percentage is not valid to Dubai. Dubai's population consists of 85% expatriates. Just let that sink in for a moment. 85% of the population consists of foreigners.

I know you pretty much spam anti Muslim blurb in all these sorts of threads, but just remember this sort of negative propaganda can be made on any country, just with different negatives. The grave human rights violations Israel commits for example, doesn't mean one should never visit Israel because of them, nor that the country does not have much to offer.

Wiktor

Why should anyone marvel these hollow monuments and human hedonism (Just read the list that some idiot posted, hiring prostitutes and playing golf. Whoopdedoo) when they represent corruption and waste? .

Because they're beautiful?

There are rare and exceptional cases no doubt, but we're talking one in millions. Also your religion percentage is not valid to Dubai. Dubai's population consists of 85% expatriates. Just let that sink in for a moment. 85% of the population consists of foreigners.

I know you pretty much spam anti Muslim blurb in all these sorts of threads, but just remember this sort of negative propaganda can be made on any country, just with different negatives. The grave human rights violations Israel commits for example, doesn't mean one should never visit Israel because of them, nor that the country does not have much to offer.

Religion percentage wasn't the point I was highlighting with that link. It was stuff like this:

The schools in public ownership have no Christian religious education. [5] Christian men are not allowed to marry Muslim women.[6] Conversion from Islam to Christianity is not permitted.[7]

There are no local Christians in the UAE; all Christians are foreign expatriates.

The fact that the majority are foreigners has nothing to do with diversity, freedom of speech/religion laws.

So I am not spreading propaganda. Just pointing out corruption going on in Dubai as a word of caution to anyone thinking of traveling there. Just as I would / have criticized the US for drug laws etc.

numble

RustyNails, I find it somewhat funny how in the same day, you posted one thread admiring Dubai's construction and another thread deploring the condition of Chinese cellphone workers, when Foxconn wages are better than the average Dubai construction worker wage--even if you exclude the fact that many Dubai workers have to work off a travel debt before they start breaking even. Looking at one BBC article, they quote a figure that is half of the base Foxconn wage, and the Foxconn wage doesn't include extra they can make doing overtime; another source gives a better figure at 68% of Foxconn's base wage.

You don't see a problem with this?

http://www.ansamed.info/ansamed/en/...f-Clampdown-sorcerers-witchcraft_7017768.html

I admit that I have never been there so I am not passing judgement on the lifestyle/good parts about UAE, but stories like this concern me and make me a little cautious to visit anytime soon. I'm scared enough as is about smoking weed over here and I live in legalized Washington State lol!

It's not hard, if you decide to visit, just don't practice your witchcraft on your holiday and you'll be fine.

nib95

Banned
Religion percentage wasn't the point I was highlighting with that link. It was stuff like this:

The fact that the majority are foreigners has nothing to do with diversity, freedom of speech/religion laws.

So I am not spreading propaganda. Just pointing corruption going on in Dubai as a word of caution to anyone thinking of traveling there. Just as I would / have criticized the US for drug laws etc.

Oh I don't disagree that people shouldn't read up on these things. But the above is more poignant if you're looking to stay permanently, not just visit on holiday or stay for a few years to earn some money. I too had fairly negative opinions on Dubai early on, but love it now. If you visit you'll probably have a different tune. I doubt you'd really notice it had such rules etc, just seems like any other tourist mega city really, only a little bit more secure, clean and organised.

Having said that, I went New Year last year, holy hell at the traffic. Usually it's not bad but the hours leading up to and after midnight near downtown centre, the city was buzzing and full of fervour, and traffic wise on lockdown. Everyone out partying, singing and celebrating even from out of their cars whilst stuck in traffic lol. Beaches, restaurants etc jam packed.

Oh I don't disagree that people shouldn't read up on these things. But the above is more poignant if you're looking to stay permanently, not just visit on holiday or stay for a few years to earn some money. I too had fairly negative opinions on Dubai early on, but love it now. If you visit you'll probably have a different tune. I doubt you'd really notice it had such rules etc, just seems like any other tourist mega city really, only a little bit more secure, clean and organised.

Having said that, I went New Year last year, holy hell at the traffic. Usually it's not bad but the hours leading up to and after midnight near downtown centre, the city was buzzing and full of fervour, and traffic wise on lockdown. Everyone out partying, singing and celebrating even from out of their cars whilst stuck in traffic lol. Beaches, restaurants etc jam packed.

What prevents a tourist from being charged with witchcraft vs. a citizen? I don't fully understand what witchcraft is and what I would have to do to be charged with it (guessing I would at least have to be female) so that's why those kinds of laws concern me.

What prevents a tourist from being charged with witchcraft vs. a citizen? I don't fully understand what witchcraft is and what I would have to do to be charged with it (guessing I would at least have to be female) so that's why those kinds of laws concern me.

Ill personally guarantee that you wont get done for witchcraft. In the unlikely event that you do, i will use my contacts to personally spring you out of prison very quickly.

Ill personally guarantee that you wont get done for witchcraft. In the unlikely event that you do, i will use my contacts to personally spring you out of prison very quickly.

Aww thanks Michael! I hope my criticisms against Dubai isn't being taken personally by anyone. Not my intention as I don't want to come across as being against the people of Dubai. Just have cautions with government policies. I'll make sure to remember to send you a PM if I am in Dubai and I am being charged with witchcraft.

Aww thanks Michael! I hope my criticisms against Dubai isn't being taken personally by anyone. Not my intention as I don't want to come across as being against the people of Dubai. Just have cautions with government policies. I'll make sure to remember to send you a PM if I am in Dubai and I am being charged with witchcraft.

BTW the only real MAJOR thing you have to watch out for here is walking around drunk. If you do that and start a fight or something you WILL end up in lockup for a while. That, drugs and drink driving are taken seriously.

Other than that just come and enjoy yourself. Dec -Jan is good (Dubai Shopping Festival which is awesome - the whole city has massive sales in every single mall for a month) and Dec - April has good weather (18-27 degrees Celsius)

The police here are actually very nice and have a good sense of humour - you can talk your way out of a lot of things but they are really clamping down on speeding now because of the sheer amount of accidents people have in very fast cars.

For someone concerned about supposed slave labor in cell phone factories, you seem pretty nonchalant about the state of human rights in UAE.

another shot from inside the Marina.

9fuY7wi.jpg

Amazing view, but anyone know why all the buildings look the same/are the same color? Were they all built by 1 contracting company or something?

Laekon

My understanding of Dubai for the 8 years is its a lot of higher ups in multi nationals opening offices there so they can live like royalty. You open a small office, bring in a lot of young secetaries you can bang and swap out every year, and get driven around to 3 hr lunches and dinner parties all week. Same shit happens in NYC, Londo, etc. but in Dubai its possible at a lower position and there is less real work required. From what I've been told there is no reason for 3/4's the business with offices there to be there. After saying that I have to say I've never been to Dubai nor do I have close friends that live there. I do have multi day company events a few times a year with people who live there.

I get the hate of it being soulless but that is almost everywhere now a days. The saddest thing is seeing people with only a short time in NYC going to the Gap in Times Sq. and eating dinner at a national chain restaurant like the Olive Garden. Dubai just seems like a celebration of the loss of authenticity.

Forsete

Gold Member
Honestly, feels like a fake and shitty rich tourist trap.

I could not afford nor would I ever want to visit the place.

bob page

Looks really fake and sterile. The things that make other major cities great seem completely absent here, like culture.

Al Jazeera said:
Thousands of workers employed by Dubai's largest construction company have gone on strike for a second day to back wage demands in a rare labour protest in the Gulf emirate, where trade unions are banned.

"They are upset at the low wages and also about not being paid for overtime work," one employee told the Reuters news agency. He said workers at his site were paid between $160 and $190 a month.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/05/20135205143955857.htmlIt might not be directly linked to the skyline photos, but it fits in well with the other tangents in the thread.

Honestly, feels like a fake and shitty rich tourist trap.

I could not afford nor would I ever want to visit the place.

Not even the best Middle Eastern city.

Looks really fake and sterile. The things that make other major cities great seem completely absent here, like culture.

I'm just basing my opinion on photos and footage I've seen, but it all seems very forced and all for the sake of its "image". Kind of like a huge Las Vegas or something.

A stunning monument to excess, corporate greed, and human rights violations on a massive scale.

Have you guys been here? Seems to be a lot of hate for this place. Im also note sure how you think a city can be fake without visiting here and experiencing it? But hey if you are going off photos (Which are touched up and professionally done) - well, then good luck to you with that.

it is by the same developer, they are part of a project on the beach called JBR

Main-image-JBR.jpg

I dont like the JBR buildings at ALL. The Marina walk is beautiful but the JBR buildings are not good looking at all. Nice views, but way too much traffic down there for me to consider living there.

amrihua

Truly brilliant to witness and I've been to Dubai once before.

As an Arab (ex-Muslim), I would never want to live there having lived in the region for 20 years.

Hopefully, social development would follow, but as it is now, all the wealth notwithstanding I find the region unappealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom