• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According to cannon, which Street Fighters are most powerful?

SFV better take place after 3rd strike and I think it's time Mel masters joins the crew, ryu and ken should be masters ( not old like gouken more like terry bogard age when he takes care of rock Howard early 30's perhaps?!) and Sakura should be past high school dammit.

Edit: capcom wtf is up with charlie give guile some closure.. Charlie was technically the us martial arts champ before dissappearing and then ken has dominated ever since

Tizoc

I know Gill Gouki and Oro are at the top. Shin Gouki/Oni too I believe.
Cody being among the top strong characters is interesting though.

Ashe Nei

I would say Ingrid but...is she even human?

Well behind... 2-hands Oro, Gouki (Akuma) -> Gouken -> supposedly Gen (if he was healthy) -> .... -> Dee Jay /-> Sean/Dan

ArjanN

I like Final Fight as much as the next guy, but Cody being a top tier based on canon has to be a troll

He really does seem like Squirrel Girl in that way. "Oh, nerds want to bicker about our lore? Let's just fuck with them a bit by throwing them a curveball"

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
And we're done here. First post killed the topic.

SUNP0018.JPG

sub_o

According to cannon: If there ain't no hole on the torso after being fired with a cannon point blank, then that's the strongest fighter.

Shadoken

Cody and Guy have always been shown as much more powerful than the average SF character. I guess since they used to be main characters of a series , they are a league above characters like Poison,Hugo..etc. who are in a similar tier with regular SF characters like Honda,Blanka,Sakura..etc.

I sorta agree with this list.

Tier 1
Gouki, Gill, Oro,

Tier 2
SF2 Vega, Sagat, Ryu, SnH Ryu, Q(hinted), SF4 Gouken

Tier 3
Ken, Gen , Rose, Charlie, Urien, Guy, Cody, Seth

Tier 4
Guile, Chun-Li, Hugo, Balrog, Twelve (hinted), Maki, Abel, C. Viper, Sodom,
Rolento, Sakura, Juri

Tier 5
Adon, Bison, Cammy, Zangief, Dhalsim, T. Hawk, Alex, Eagle, Birdie

Tier 6
the twelve girls, Karin, Necro, Dudley, Lee, Mike, Geki, Retsu, Joe, Hakan

Tier 7
Blanka, Fei-Long, E. Honda, El Fuerte, Dee Jay, Ibuki, Makoto, Yun, Yang

Tier 8
Elena, Remy, R. Mika

Tier 9
Dan, Rufus

Tier 10
Sean

Pompadour

Doesn't Dudley beat Ryu in that Street Fighter 3 manga? It's somewhat canonical as I think they pulled Evil Ryu's SF4 design from that.

Can someone fill me in on the whole Cody thing? I've seen this mentioned in a couple places but I can't find anything other than "he keeps the handcuffs on by choice", which still doesn't really say anything about how strong he is without the handcuffs.

Street Fighter EX, the versus games, comics, movies, cartoons etc... are all non-canon. The only stuff that contributes to the canon are the mainline SF games: SF1, SFA2 (overrides SFA1), SFA3, SSF2T (overrides all previous SF2 games), USF4 (overrides all previous SF4 games), SF3: 2nd Impact (overrides SF3: NG), and SF3: 3rd Strike (takes place after the tournament in 2nd Impact, is an epilogue to that game basically).

For the record, these are the winners of the SF tournaments:

Street Fighter 1: won by Ryu

Street Fighter II: never officially announced, but hints in other games/endings lean towards either Guile or Chun-Li

Street Fighter IV: we don't know yet, I don't even remember if SF4 is an actual tournament or if it's a side story like the SF Alpha series & 3rd Strike

Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact: Alex (although Gill kind of colluded and let him win, also Oro dropped out of the tournament)

Koren

Plus he fights with a limitation (his handcuffs).
Technically, wearing weights slows you down, but has no consequence on the energy of the punch at impact for a horizontal hit. If you just talk about power, it's not really a limitation. It can even be an advantage if you're hitting from top to bottom.

And if you hit something while wearing a weight, even if the energy of the hit is the same, the impulse is higher, so your opponent will be thrown away farther.

gngf123

Can someone fill me in on the whole Cody thing? I've seen this mentioned in a couple places but I can't find anything other than "he keeps the handcuffs on by choice", which still doesn't really say anything about how strong he is without the handcuffs.

Depends how much trust you have in comics and win quotes. Both Oni and E.Honda have noticed that he constantly holds back, and in SF4 arcade mode I believe Shin Oni actually says that Cody might survive the fight between them if he goes all out.

He has also said that Akuma was overrated, among other things.

Cody and Guy have always been shown as much more powerful than the average SF character. I guess since they used to be main characters of a series , they are a league above characters like Poison,Hugo..etc. who are in a similar tier with regular SF characters like Honda,Blanka,Sakura..etc.

I sorta agree with this list.

That list is completely busted. There's no way the current Sagat is better than the current Ryu. When has Q ever been hinted at being that powerful?

Depends how much trust you have in comics and win quotes. Both Oni and E.Honda have noticed that he constantly holds back, and in SF4 arcade mode I believe Shin Oni actually says that Cody might survive the fight between them if he goes all out.

He has also said that Akuma was overrated, among other things.

I don't know why anyone would trust both, since the comics aren't even canon, and the win quotes have a bunch of oddities.

Cody's whole deal is he's probably super powerful, but holds back a lot because he doesn't want to kill anyone.

In terms of what we see, it's all implication and supposition.

ethomaz

Banned
Technically, wearing weights slows you down, but has no consequence on the energy of the punch at impact for a horizontal hit. If you just talk about power, it's not really a limitation. It can even be an advantage if you're hitting from top to bottom.

And if you hit something while wearing a weight, even if the energy of the hit is the same, the impulse is higher, so your opponent will be thrown away farther.
He never plays serious and even so beat everybody else... Ryu get crazy because he wanted to show his full power in a fight removing the handcuffs, even so he didn't give no change to Ryu (Ruy looked like amateur face Cody) until it get the Evil side.

Yes... Cody full power will never be showed... he fight with so much limitations for that... even so even Akuma thinks he can beat him... Akima Oni says the only guy to hold him going full power is Cody.

Silky

Banned
Tier 1 / SSS Rank
Gouki, Gill, Oro, Cody, Gouken

Tier 2 / SS Rank
Sagat, Ryu, Ken, Juri, Q, Urien

Tier 3 / S Rank
Ken, Gen, Rose, Charlie, Alex, Guy, Seth, Twelve

Tier 4 / A Rank
Guile, Chun-Li, Hugo, Balrog , Maki, Abel, C. Viper, Sodom,
Rolento, Sakura, Vega, Bison, Dolls, Cammy

Tier 5 / B Rank
Adon, Zangief, Dhalsim, T. Hawk, Alex, Eagle, Birdie, Dudley, Karin, Necro, Ibuki, Makoto

Tier 6 / C Rank
Lee, Mike, Geki, Retsu, Joe, Hakan, Yun, Yang, Fei-Long, Rufus

Tier 7 / D Rank
Blanka, E. Honda, El Fuerte, Dee Jay, R. Mika, Dan, Elena, Remy, Sean

Using a previous post, and as of 3rd Strike, these would be the correct standings of each character considering their knowledge of fighting.

Toddimus Prime

Neo Member
He really does seem like Squirrel Girl in that way. "Oh, nerds want to bicker about our lore? Let's just fuck with them a bit by throwing them a curveball"

^ This right here. I'm not having Cody being S-Tier. Hell no. He's not even the strongest in his own game. Always loved his character, particularly the flawed character thing they gave him. Also, strongest character wouldn't need a knife after all.

Nope, I'm not entertaining this notion at all. *flips table into a barrel* *eats leg of lamb*

Silky

Banned
I want to do a tier list based on the character's ability to manipulate Ki and physical strength, but that's too much work. :l

We would have to also include the events of Final Fight 2 - 3 and Final Fight Revenge in there...

Top Bottom