• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According to NASA, 2016 is predicted to be the hottest year on record since 1880.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A link to the article.

Also a link to NASA’s official statement.

A short video to show the warming trend.

This year may be only half over, but 2016 is already on track to be the hottest year ever on record, with each of the first six months, from January to June, setting new temperature records, NASA officials announced this week. For the first time, NASA shared a midyear climate analysis, doing so because temperature averages this year have been so in excess of previous data, agency officials said. NASA's data showed that each month in 2016 was the warmest respective month globally in the modern temperature record, which dates to 1880. This trend suggests 2016 will surpass 2015 as the hottest year on record, NASA said. "2016 has really blown that out of the water," said Gavin Schmidt, director of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York City.

What this means?

Sustained above-average temperatures, as the planet has seen so far this century, can affect the ice sheet, global sea levels, ecosystems and more, according to Schmidt. One of the very visible effects of the warming climate is the greening of the Arctic. What was once a frozen tundra landscape has practically become a new ecosystem, said Charles Miller, deputy science lead for the Arctic Boreal Vulnerability Experiment (ABoVE) at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California. "Because of longer, warmer growing seasons coupled with shorter, less brutally cold winters, we've had a significant change in the vegetation structure … really changing the landscape," Miller said. Increasing temperatures and a warmer Arctic have global implications, Meier said. The jet stream and weather patterns could shift as the Arctic ice cover continues to diminish, he said.

I honestly can't wait for this summer to be over and I live in Canada. Southern Ontario has been awful all summer with this heat. Every day it's 30+ (90 for americans) and with the humidity it's suppose to be pushing 40 tomorrow which is 104...

Honestly F off summer

Platy

...in the USA, right ?

Because here in the south hemisphere my city is reaching temperatures so low that it might be some kind of record

It's been alright here in Seattle, but I think it'll only get worse since we're just about to start hitting the 80s next week. When it gets hot here in Seattle, it is nasty.

Gragen

All these people in SoCal whose houses were built in the 60's (including myself) are going to regret not having central air in the next few years I'm thinking.

I honestly can't wait for this summer to be over and I live in Canada. Southern Ontario has been awful all summer with this heat. Every day it's 30+ (90 for americans) and with the humidity it's suppose to be pushing 40 tomorrow which is 104...

Honestly F off summer
I know your pain. Today sucked (also from southern Ontario)

Honestly F off summer
Yep, here in California it's been like this all summer so far...

FR5g1wz.png

Walpurgis

Banned
Today was incredibly hot in Winnipeg (like 30+ but the humidity was through the roof). It led to what might have been the worst storm that I have seen in more than ten years. The sky turned yellow, black clouds moved into the city and it started pouring with insane winds. The wind was so bad that it peeled off the roof of an apartment.

Violent storm peels roof off Winnipeg apartment building
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-apartment-building-roof-torn-off-1.3688426
Shared via the CBC News Android

If this is what climate change will bring, god help us.

Schrade

Yep, here in California it's been like this all summer so far...

FR5g1wz.png

You mean Southern California?

For the past several years Northern California (Well, bay area) has been having some downright pleasant temps. This whole week we've been mid 70's which is not normal summer weather.

For the past several years Northern California (Well, bay area) has been having some downright pleasant temps. This whole week we've been mid 70's which is not normal summer weather.

Nah, central valley (Modesto). It's usually pretty hot, but this summer has seemed especially brutal.

Jisgsaw

And meanwhile in Europe, we're still waiting for the summer to begin (OK, we just had three nice days in a row). Not that I'm complaining I hate it when it's too warm.

And meanwhile in Europe, we're still waiting for the summer to begin (OK, we just had three nice days in a row). Not that I'm complaining I hate it when it's too warm.

Last year we had like 40 degrees celsius... Im glad that its moderate this year so far

FZZ

Banned

Northern California irrelevant

no one cares about y'all

Madao

how come 1880 was so hot if they didn't have all the modern day factories and contamination we have now?

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

We had 35 degrees Celsius in the UK. In doors it was around 40 - 42 for some folks. The worst weather of all time. People who want warm days can fuck right off.
Warm day is not the same as a sunny day. We get plenty of those in the summer in Europe. No one should wish for a warm day.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
It has been pretty hot here in Denver. Even my cat is annoyed that I'm not turning on the AC. She shouldn't have been laying out in the sun for hours expecting to come in and cool off though. Damned diva.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
...in the USA, right ?

Because here in the south hemisphere my city is reaching temperatures so low that it might be some kind of record

It's not only summer. Winter and spring in my part of Germany were way to warm for example..

We had 35 degrees Celsius in the UK. In doors it was around 40 - 42 for some folks. The worst weather of all time. People who want warm days can fuck right off.
Warm day is not the same as a sunny day. We get plenty of those in the summer in Europe. No one should wish for a warm day.
-we in the UK
-Europe

Not anymore, lad

How common is central A/C over there.

That's why Fall is the best season ever. Perfect weather.

Honestly F off summer

A one of the days last week it was hotter in Northern Canada than the rest of Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom